NBA Live 18. First Reveal

Talk about NBA Live 18 here.

Re: NBA Live 18. First Reveal

Postby Ermolli on Thu May 25, 2017 5:45 am

Something that bothered me from those clips in the John Wall layup. Why does the fancy layup trigger when no one is around him? It happens too many times for my taste on Live 16. Reduce its occurrence or make it manually triggered.

I don't know why I can see the herky jerky animations in Lives videos. I know they exist in their games as I notice them during gameplay but not so much during this type of videos. It's something that annoys me that I can't figure it out.
Ermolli

Postby zzcoolj21 on Thu May 25, 2017 6:13 am

5v5 gameplay will be the real deciding factor.

Also, is this the first current gen game to actually get LeBron's beard right? The graphics have always looked great in screenshots but the details never really show in gameplay.

Pretty good tease though (Y)
zzcoolj21
20% on Good release machine, The NLSC's Jr Smith

Postby TBM on Thu May 25, 2017 7:11 am

A couple things.

This looks a lot like Live 17 with some slightly better graphics to me, unfortunately. Animations are as stiff and jerky as ever, and some of the faces (Curry, Kyrie) are suspect.

That Ignite vs. Frostbite video didn't impress me at all. FIFA 17 looks like FIFA 16 with a gross bloom effect. Luckily Live 18 has none of that.

But yeah, that's really all that can be said right now. First impression for me is "Live 16 with new sweat", but we'll have to wait for 5-on-5 gameplay to know anything.
TBM
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Book_Gazette on Thu May 25, 2017 7:14 am

First of:

This isn't really bad, EA had to take a sacrifice into this game by waiting another year.

It's got to be great, and I hope frostbite helps in this.

I remember playing FIFA 17 and 16 and noticing the huge difference Frostbite felt and how less jerky the players, and besides, EA specializes in the places where they don't need as much detail as in soccer or football, or hockey has, but with how much things happening in basketball it is really hard to get a game out that feels nice the first time.

For now, I'm sure to say that we shouldn't be overhyping or under-hyping this announcement, and we still have until June 12th or so to get some more looks
Book_Gazette

Postby StyxTx on Thu May 25, 2017 12:34 pm

I'll just be happy if they don't do what 2k does, promote this or that in the game then take that stuff out with patches and updates.
StyxTx

Postby Patr1ck on Thu May 25, 2017 1:46 pm

Tha2KProphet wrote:Frostbite confirmed ?

YgTrece wrote:look like they still on ignite

It has to be ignite. They would have announced frostbite as a major selling feature. One of the youtubers stated that an EA dev could not reveal the engine, but also told him that a move to frostbite would take a couple of years.

Dee4Three wrote:I know we are stuck on the graphics, and it's a early gameplay video, but does anybody else notice the animations looking stiff and herky jerky again?

That is my main concern. The game needs to play right.

Definitely. It's like players have a neck and back brace or something and aren't allowed to move their heads or bend their back much. You can also see their eyes bugging out rolling back in their sockets instead of tilting their head.

Ermolli wrote:Something that bothered me from those clips in the John Wall layup. Why does the fancy layup trigger when no one is around him? It happens too many times for my taste on Live 16. Reduce its occurrence or make it manually triggered.

I hope it's just for the video to show off the animation, but it would look much better with the context of Wall clutching the layup to avoid a defender trying to contest his shot.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby zzcoolj21 on Thu May 25, 2017 2:24 pm

Pdub wrote:It has to be ignite. They would have announced frostbite as a major selling feature. One of the youtubers stated that an EA dev could not reveal the engine, but also told him that a move to frostbite would take a couple of years.

phpBB [video]
zzcoolj21

Postby ThaLiveKing on Thu May 25, 2017 2:58 pm

Well, when we see that first trailer, if that Frostbite engine logo ain't in it, then we'll know
ThaLiveKing

Postby Shuajota on Thu May 25, 2017 5:52 pm

NBA Live 18 and Madden 18 will be made using Frosbite: https://ar12gaming.com/articles/ea-sports-lineup-2017
Shuajota
NBA2K Mods: www.shuajota.com

Postby voidjointx on Thu May 25, 2017 6:29 pm

Shuajota wrote:NBA Live 18 and Madden 18 will be made using Frosbite: https://ar12gaming.com/articles/ea-sports-lineup-2017

I heard NBALIVE18 will not use frostbite engine tho and thats why graphics look bad and players looks so stiff! I'm disappointed
Donations Are Appreciated

https://www.patreon.com/voidjoint
voidjointx

Postby Andrew on Thu May 25, 2017 9:54 pm

I would like to see more fluidity, but it seems like an improvement over NBA Live 16 to me. Despite some of the stiffness, there were some nice animations there. I agree that fancy/elusive layups should be contextually appropriate, but it's possible that was just to show something flashy in a teaser trailer. I did like the John Wall move in general though, and the DeAndre Jordan block. Kind of liked the LeBron dunk, too.

The big thing for me will be the feel of the game. Even if some of the animations aren't as fluid as I'd like, if the game feels good on the sticks and the transitions between moves and animations is satisfactory, then I expect I'll enjoy my time on the sticks. Not getting caught in animations is the other big thing. Of course, that's something I can't determine until I get my hands on the game itself.

Faces are pretty on-point for the most part. Of course, a lot of faces in NBA Live 16 were quite good when you zoomed in, but a lot of the player detail wasn't apparent from gameplay angles. That's something else I think Live needs to do: make that detail more apparent during gameplay, and not just when zooming in on a player in Instant Replay.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Shuajota on Thu May 25, 2017 11:15 pm

Andrew wrote:I would like to see more fluidity, but it seems like an improvement over NBA Live 16 to me. Despite some of the stiffness, there were some nice animations there. I agree that fancy/elusive layups should be contextually appropriate, but it's possible that was just to show something flashy in a teaser trailer. I did like the John Wall move in general though, and the DeAndre Jordan block. Kind of liked the LeBron dunk, too.

The big thing for me will be the feel of the game. Even if some of the animations aren't as fluid as I'd like, if the game feels good on the sticks and the transitions between moves and animations is satisfactory, then I expect I'll enjoy my time on the sticks. Not getting caught in animations is the other big thing. Of course, that's something I can't determine until I get my hands on the game itself.

Faces are pretty on-point for the most part. Of course, a lot of faces in NBA Live 16 were quite good when you zoomed in, but a lot of the player detail wasn't apparent from gameplay angles. That's something else I think Live needs to do: make that detail more apparent during gameplay, and not just when zooming in on a player in Instant Replay.

Yeah Andrew, I hope EA makes a good gameplay like FIFA. FIFA won the battle to PES. It would be great if 2k had a tough opponent.
Shuajota
NBA2K Mods: www.shuajota.com

Postby PeacemanNOT on Fri May 26, 2017 1:30 am

From what I've seen, the art in this game blows 2K out of the water.... they put so much more effort into everything compared to 2K's copy paste half effort job. Especially with the jerseys... make's 2K's art look cartoonish.

Now the gameplay..... doesn't look very fluid, plus what's up with the jerseys? They look so baggy compared to NBA Live 16, feels like more of a downgrade considering how tight players wear jerseys nowadays.
Donate if you'd like to:
Paypal - https://paypal.me/PeacemanNOT
PeacemanNOT
Useless Member
Contributor

Postby [Q] on Fri May 26, 2017 1:39 am

That is a good point, though. Doesn't matter how nice the faces are up close if the game never zooms in. Needs to look good from further away
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Patr1ck on Fri May 26, 2017 3:28 am

Shuajota wrote:NBA Live 18 and Madden 18 will be made using Frosbite: https://ar12gaming.com/articles/ea-sports-lineup-2017

Nowhere in that article does it state Live 18 is using Frostbite. It's talking about the delay to release during the fall. Only Madden 18 was stated as using Frostbite.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby buzzy on Fri May 26, 2017 9:14 am

PeacemanNOT wrote:From what I've seen, the art in this game blows 2K out of the water.... they put so much more effort into everything compared to 2K's copy paste half effort job. Especially with the jerseys... make's 2K's art look cartoonish.

Already messed up the color of the Bucks' numbers though ;)
buzzy
Take it sleazy.
NLSC Team Member

Postby TBM on Fri May 26, 2017 12:13 pm

PeacemanNOT wrote:From what I've seen, the art in this game blows 2K out of the water.... they put so much more effort into everything compared to 2K's copy paste half effort job. Especially with the jerseys... make's 2K's art look cartoonish.

Now the gameplay..... doesn't look very fluid, plus what's up with the jerseys? They look so baggy compared to NBA Live 16, feels like more of a downgrade considering how tight players wear jerseys nowadays.

Disagree in some ways. The floors and jerseys are far superior. There's no debate there, but as far as the player models themselves go, that's where I say no.

If you look here, Zaza looks like a character from Robot Chicken. The players still have a waxiness that 2K doesn't have.
TBM
Contributor
Contributor

Postby zzcoolj21 on Fri May 26, 2017 12:28 pm

The quality is pretty inconsistent player to player. Some player models look great, others have these really strange short arms.
zzcoolj21

Postby zzcoolj21 on Fri May 26, 2017 12:43 pm

Tha2KProphet wrote:-Is it me or the Kyrie screenshot looks different than the Trailers?!

It's not just you.
Looks like the 16 model is used in the clips
zzcoolj21

Postby TBM on Fri May 26, 2017 1:08 pm

That's not uncommon. 2K trailers also don't always have the final release faces.
TBM
Contributor
Contributor

Postby buzzy on Fri May 26, 2017 1:17 pm

That's actually Paul George in a Cavs uni
buzzy
Take it sleazy.
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri May 26, 2017 2:17 pm

buzzy wrote:That's actually Paul George in a Cavs uni

Offseason spoilers. NBA is rigged, 100% confirmed. :crazy:
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Patr1ck on Fri May 26, 2017 2:45 pm

I think they gave Kyrie a neck beard or something.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby zzcoolj21 on Fri May 26, 2017 7:39 pm

Yeah something about the facial hair and nose throws it off.
zzcoolj21

Postby mp3 on Sat May 27, 2017 5:34 am

The player models look great, body shapes too. Of course it is easier to make highlight reel look good but it ticks all the boxes so far.

Sure kyrie looks off which I don't understand but anyway bring on the raw gameplay footage.
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Live 18