NBA 2K15 vs NBA 2K17

Talk about NBA 2K17 here.

NBA 2K15 vs NBA 2K17

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:30 am

Hi all,

I went back and played several hours of NBA 2K15. I have to admit... I was shocked. I don't think a lot of us really appreciated what we had in that game, maybe also do to lack of mods (It being the first next gen 2K for PC). Here are my takeaways, how I compare the two games:

Passing:

- The passing in NBA 2K15 was sharper, less lobbed passes. It also seems that when you are not using icons, the player you are passing with will more often than not throw the right pass to the intended teammate. In 2K17, when you throw a pass to a player not using icon passing, and say another teammate ends up being behind the intended receiver, the pass will go over the intended receivers head to the other guy and cause a turnover.

Dribbling:

- The hesitations seem to be better, and getting the defender rocking feels a lot more realistic. I feel like the moves realistically create more space In general. Spin moves while dribbling are more realistic and emulate real life speed.

Shooting:

- While some of the shooting animations are not as good, the timing feels more realistic. It's not as sporadic as NBA 2K17. I feel like in NBA 2K17 it's hard to tell when you released a shot well, but in 2K15 you just know (Even without the shot meter).

Pace:

- The pace feels more like a real life NBA game. Not as many interruptions in flow. No ridiculous bumping, far less getting caught in animations. Body Steals and Body Blocks don't destroy the game. Fastbreaks feel much more realistic. Layups and dunks are less in slow motion, they also get blocked less (It takes skill to block layups/dunks in this game).

Defense:

- Far more realistic. More reactive. Players don't get lost all the time. I played a couple full games and didn't see my teammates getting backdoored all the time, or the CPU running wide open down the middle of the floor.

Graphics:

- I actually feel like this game, minus a few stadiums that looked a little dark, had amazing graphics. And in some cases looked more realistic. I also feel like the body types made a big difference. The players actually look like athletes, with tone and everything.

Overall:

This game to me feels like a mixture of NBA 2K14 Next Gen, and NBA 2K17.. more leaning towards the NBA 2K14 next gen game. NBA 2K15 isn't without flaws, but I am disappointed in the series after going back and playing it. I feel like the series has taken a step backwards in MANY gameplay areas.

Your thoughts?
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Re: NBA 2K15 vs NBA 2K17

Postby sticky-fingers on Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:17 am

As i write in 2K18 section, each year 2K add, remove and broke some parts of the gameplay.

So, i'm partially agree with you:
Controls are differents, i prefer 2K16/2k17.
In 2K15/16, players' reactions are heavy and slow, that was fixed in 2K17 (before patches).
But the big plus is that the game is more balanced, the defense isnt broken in 2K15.
If graphics (lights and shadows) are better in 2K17, you can easily play in 4K downsampled in 2K15 while it's impossible with 2k17.
sticky-fingers

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:20 am

sticky-fingers wrote:As i write in 2K18 section, each year 2K add, remove and broke some parts of the gameplay.

In 2K15/16, players' reactions are heavy and slow, that was fixed in 2K17 (before patches).
But the big plus is that the game is more balanced, the defense isnt broken in 2K15.
If graphics (lights and shadows) are better in 2K17, you can easily play in 4K downsampled in 2K15 while it's impossible with 2k17.

I think the defense makes a huge difference, its night and day better. Not only that, the fact that the bumping is less, and forced animations happen less... it feels less heavy because of that (Atleast to me).

Its really interesting, when I was playing 2k15 I felt I was playing more of a simulation.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby bluejaybrandon on Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:02 am

Dee4Three wrote:
sticky-fingers wrote:As i write in 2K18 section, each year 2K add, remove and broke some parts of the gameplay.

I think the defense makes a huge difference, its night and day better. Not only that, the fact that the bumping is less, and forced animations happen less... it feels less heavy because of that (Atleast to me).

Its really interesting, when I was playing 2k15 I felt I was playing more of a simulation.

Couldn't agree more. I'm so sick of the 2k17 forced animation where you lose the ball cuz your player throws his hands up on a drive. I don't ever remember that in prior 2k. It feels completely random in the sense that I can see it as a viable animation if you were to drive against a strong defensive player (think Tony Allen) but it's completely random and can happen when Lebron James drives against Jose Calderon. I miss the old defense where it felt like you had a hand in getting a stop, not random hit boxes clashing.
bluejaybrandon

Postby sticky-fingers on Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:00 am

The worst thing is that at the release day of 2K16 and 2K17, as I remember (perhaps i'm too old) theses defaults weren't (so) present

The other bad thing is that 2K "stole" a big part of the best modders of this communitie (good for them (Y) ).... but the gameplay seems to downgrade since.
What the fuck do JaoSming with 2KTV ?! It's a cool feature, and Rachel is hot... but the gameplay, the core of the game should be the priority.

Or perhaps our expectations are too high, we play 2K too much :mrgreen:
sticky-fingers

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:45 am

sticky-fingers wrote:The worst thing is that at the release day of 2K16 and 2K17, as I remember (perhaps i'm too old) theses defaults weren't (so) present

The other bad thing is that 2K "stole" a big part of the best modders of this communitie (good for them (Y) ).... but the gameplay seems to downgrade since.
What the fuck do JaoSming with 2KTV ?! It's a cool feature, and Rachel is hot... but the gameplay, the core of the game should be the priority.

Or perhaps our expectations are too high, we play 2K too much :mrgreen:

Nothing to do with expectations being too high. When defense is broken, it's broken. When parts of the gameplay ruin the entire flow of the game, the competition, etc, we absolutely have a right to say something.

That's how products get better, by taking in feedback from the consumer and implementing it.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby sticky-fingers on Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:07 pm

I wrote this line because, perhaps... 2K already listen the (mainstream) consumers' expectations.

You just have to read current and previous "Official NLSC Wishlist".
While some guys wait for a realistic gameplay, many people ask MyCareer/MyPlayer stuff, graphics stuffs (tatoos, shoes, cut scenes)...

Even real NBA players loves NBA 2K. Lot of them play this game, but i never seen/read one of them complain about the realism or the gameplay.
sticky-fingers

Return to NBA 2K17