NBA 2K18 Soundtrack - What would you like to hear?

Talk about NBA 2K18 here.

NBA 2K18 Soundtrack - What would you like to hear?

Postby Dee4Three on Sat May 13, 2017 12:51 am

Hi all,

First off... if Santigold - Creator is on the soundtrack again for NBA 2K18, I may lose my mind and throw my CPU out the window.

With that being said, I feel like the soundtracks for 2k games started going downhill in 2k13, and have gotten worse each year after. Soundtracks before 2K13 seemed to create a lot of memories, they were awesome. I feel like the soundtracks have gone so mainstream that it's annoying. Does anybody miss those classic soundtracks that didn't include so many "Hits" of the year?

I mean, I know that names like Drake being on the soundtrack will make the game hold more star power, and those are the "popular" musicians... but there were like 4 Drake songs for NBA 2K17 (I don't like Drake btw, I don't like his music at all).

Going back and playing the NBA 2K's of the past, and even some of the Lives of the past, I just feel like the soundtracks went backwards...

Anybody with me here?
Last edited by Dee4Three on Sat May 13, 2017 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
This topic was moved from NBA 2K17 by Andrew on Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:46 am.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Re: NBA 2K18 Soundtrack - What would you like to see?

Postby CatScooter on Sat May 13, 2017 5:16 am

To be honest, throw back 90s hip hop. Funny enough, My jukebox is essentially a culmination of bunch of instrumentals that were timeless for the era (naughty by nature, queen latifah, pharcyde etc.) some cuts from live 97/98/99. Genesis Bulls vs Lakers/Blazers music. Plus theme songs from NBA on network broadcasts. Feel like it snaps shot some of my history with bball games. NBA should just hire John Tesh to write some 2K Broadcast pieces and keep the mumbles out of the jukebox. Lol
CatScooter

Postby StyxTx on Sat May 13, 2017 5:27 am

See or hear?
StyxTx

Postby StyxTx on Sat May 13, 2017 5:30 am

Unfortunately, as old as I am, no one would want to hear my music, classic rock/heavy metal, but that's what I like.....which is why I tend to turn game sounds off and listen to my music. I don't have any delusions that will ever happen though.

I am not a fan of most music later than the late 80's.
StyxTx

Postby Dee4Three on Sat May 13, 2017 5:39 am

StyxTx wrote:Unfortunately, as old as I am, no one would want to hear my music, classic rock/heavy metal, but that's what I like.....which is why I tend to turn game sounds off and listen to my music. I don't have any delusions that will ever happen though.

Changed the title to "Hear". lol

And I am a mixture, I am actually big on 80's rock and the 90's, and some heavy metal. In fact, many of the Rocky Soundtrack songs (War, No Easy Way Out, Training Montage, etc) make it onto my custom jukebox's, as well as Heavy metal (Megadeth - Songs off of Youthanasia and Countdown to Extinction, etc), Prong, Metallica, some 90's rock from Soundgarden (Spoonman) and Alice n Chains etc. But, I also enjoy some of the not as well know hip hop hits from past 2K games, some of those songs make it onto my jukebox sometimes.

I feel like we will never get exactly what we want, but these mainstream hits and a ton of Drake songs bug me.. gah.
Last edited by Dee4Three on Sat May 13, 2017 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Sat May 13, 2017 5:41 am

CatScooter wrote:To be honest, throw back 90s hip hop. Funny enough, My jukebox is essentially a culmination of bunch of instrumentals that were timeless for the era (naughty by nature, queen latifah, pharcyde etc.) some cuts from live 97/98/99. Genesis Bulls vs Lakers/Blazers music. Plus theme songs from NBA on network broadcasts. Feel like it snaps shot some of my history with bball games. NBA should just hire John Tesh to write some 2K Broadcast pieces and keep the mumbles out of the jukebox. Lol

And actually, some of the Live songs make it onto my list as well (From Live 98/99/2000 and 2001).

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Sat May 13, 2017 5:48 am

StyxTx wrote:Unfortunately, as old as I am, no one would want to hear my music, classic rock/heavy metal, but that's what I like.....which is why I tend to turn game sounds off and listen to my music. I don't have any delusions that will ever happen though.

So clearly that means you chose your username based on the band Styx.

A big part of my youth was when Tommy Shaw and Jack blades teamed up with Ted Nugent and formed the Damn Yankees. They were a little late forming the band, and only put out 2 CD's, but they still put out quite a few good songs.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Re: NBA 2K18 Soundtrack - What would you like to hear?

Postby CatScooter on Sat May 13, 2017 6:33 am

I'll leave this right here. <3 Jam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_zAokBogIA
CatScooter

Postby Andrew on Sat May 13, 2017 11:15 am

I'll admit that I don't have particularly strong preferences for the soundtrack. There's usually at least a few songs I end up liking, and it ends up fading into the background for me. However, I definitely agree that "Creator" has been overused at this point. The good thing about the old approach of changing up the entire soundtrack each year was that it kept things fresh, and I usually discovered a couple of new songs that I liked.

That said, it would be delightfully old school if they had some more instrumental tracks, like the early NBA Live games, perhaps mixed with a few classics and recent releases to appeal to the younger generation as well.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby jwin on Sat May 13, 2017 1:45 pm

jwin

Postby StyxTx on Sat May 13, 2017 10:50 pm

Dee4Three wrote:

A big part of my youth was when Tommy Shaw and Jack blades teamed up with Ted Nugent and formed the Damn Yankees. They were a little late forming the band, and only put out 2 CD's, but they still put out quite a few good songs.

Nugent is definitely one of my favorites. Stranglehold being my favorite song by him.

I like some of the 90's rock, thanks to my son. Soundgarden being one, Black Hole Sun in particular. Pearl Jam was another. And Nirvana.
Last edited by StyxTx on Sat May 13, 2017 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
StyxTx

Postby StyxTx on Sat May 13, 2017 10:52 pm

Andrew wrote:I'll admit that I don't have particularly strong preferences for the soundtrack. There's usually at least a few songs I end up liking, and it ends up fading into the background for me. However, I definitely agree that "Creator" has been overused at this point. The good thing about the old approach of changing up the entire soundtrack each year was that it kept things fresh, and I usually discovered a couple of new songs that I liked.

That said, it would be delightfully old school if they had some more instrumental tracks, like the early NBA Live games, perhaps mixed with a few classics and recent releases to appeal to the younger generation as well.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Even though I am not overly fond of today's music, there are a few songs I like from he soundtracks.
StyxTx

Postby Dee4Three on Sun May 14, 2017 12:27 am

StyxTx wrote:
Dee4Three wrote:

Nugent is definitely one of my favorites. Stranglehold being my favorite song by him.

I like some of the 90's rock, thanks to my son. Soundgarden being one, Black Hole Sun in particular. Pearl Jam was another. And Nirvana.

Nugent was the first concert I ever went to.

That music will never make it into a basketball game... hahah

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby StyxTx on Sun May 14, 2017 4:11 am

Dee4Three wrote:
StyxTx wrote:
Dee4Three wrote:

Ever been to a Rush concert? Those were great.
Last edited by StyxTx on Sun May 14, 2017 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
StyxTx

Postby Dee4Three on Sun May 14, 2017 4:43 am

StyxTx wrote:
Dee4Three wrote:
StyxTx wrote:
Dee4Three wrote:

Ever been to t Rush concert? Those were great.

Nope, but I like them.

And the movie "I Love You Man" paid a nice tribute to them. Ha.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby I Hate Mondays on Sun May 14, 2017 7:51 pm

Since they'd often use menu soundtrack for the arena soundtrack, I'd like to see some actual oldies but goldies that are played in real life during timeouts, before the game, between the quarters, etc. Hypnotize by Biggie is the first example that comes into my mind.
I Hate Mondays

Postby CT4 on Thu May 18, 2017 12:00 am

It would be cool if you could upload one of your Spotify playlists in the game.

I really want them to add in-game music and menu music as usually the music that plays in menus never gets played ingame IRL.
Celtics and Kristaps Porzingis fan from Latvia.
Not much else to know really.
CT4

Postby StyxTx on Thu May 18, 2017 2:18 am

Would be great if we could add our own music into the game rather than having to have music thrown on us that some of us may not like. I know The Show allows us to import our own music so it can be done.
StyxTx

Postby sports3972586 on Mon May 22, 2017 12:27 pm

You do realize although the artists you named are great^^^, that 2K's main audience are 10-24 and listen to Drake, Future, Kendrick Lamar, Chief Keef and stuff like that?
sports3972586

Postby Andrew on Mon May 22, 2017 12:45 pm

I think everyone does realise that, but this is a thread for stating your own preference. Granted, not all of those preferences are going to be realistic, or line up with the rest of the demographic.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Tue May 23, 2017 12:08 am

Oh I know, and unfortunately that is the music those ages are listening too.

But, that's partly why I referenced some of the older 2k's and Live music, because it seemed to be more diverse and less mainstream.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby cb1115 on Tue May 23, 2017 1:59 am

Yeah. Let the young people have their music.
cb1115

Postby Andrew on Tue May 23, 2017 2:37 am

sports3972586 wrote:You do realize although the artists you named are great^^^, that 2K's main audience are 10-24 and listen to Drake, Future, Kendrick Lamar, Chief Keef and stuff like that?

cb1115 wrote:Yeah. Let the young people have their music.

Hmm...

Of all the issues to create a sock puppet account over...
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Tue May 23, 2017 4:05 am

That's really strange....

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue May 23, 2017 9:40 am

I guess it's what us bitter old haters get for not giving proper due to new music. :lol:

But yeah, this is obviously a thread to state personal preference. No one's saying certain music shouldn't be included, we're just talking about stuff we'd personally like to hear on the soundtrack. As I said, some are unlikely, but that doesn't mean it can't be thrown out there as a suggestion. Let's not get too worked up over the soundtrack of the game.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Next

Return to NBA 2K18