can't deceide between pc and ps4 version

Talk about NBA 2K17 here.

can't deceide between pc and ps4 version

Postby tizrockt on Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:35 am

Hey everyone,
first of all, this should not be a discussion about pc-master-race vs. console bs.

I am a 2k player since 2k9 and since the release of the ps4, I no longer played the game on the pc.
After all the years, spending money for vc and all of it, I questioned myself what I really like to play the most.

I really love to play historic seasons ...and ..yeah I miss the modification options this website offers for many many years.
So I spent a little bit time in here today and researched about the possibilities for modification, little bit of research and stuff.
Well ... I'm still quite unsure about downloading rosters (97-98 season + draft class, 84-85 season etc.) because I can't find any yet and therefor I thought ...lets ask the community here.

What are the pros/cons between pc and ps4 version in your point of view?
Well I don't care about the graphic topic that much also I don't like to play online as well.
Hmm ..btw. I don't know if my pc setup good enough anyway .... but that's another topic :)

Thanks for your opinions.
tizrockt

Re: can't deceide between pc and ps4 version

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:48 am

tizrockt wrote:Hey everyone,
first of all, this should not be a discussion about pc-master-race vs. console bs.

I am a 2k player since 2k9 and since the release of the ps4, I no longer played the game on the pc.
After all the years, spending money for vc and all of it, I questioned myself what I really like to play the most.

I really love to play historic seasons ...and ..yeah I miss the modification options this website offers for many many years.
So I spent a little bit time in here today and researched about the possibilities for modification, little bit of research and stuff.
Well ... I'm still quite unsure about downloading rosters (97-98 season + draft class, 84-85 season etc.) because I can't find any yet and therefor I thought ...lets ask the community here.

What are the pros/cons between pc and ps4 version in your point of view?
Well I don't care about the graphic topic that much also I don't like to play online as well.
Hmm ..btw. I don't know if my pc setup good enough anyway .... but that's another topic :)

Thanks for your opinions.

My take.

3 years ago, I booted up my laptop and for fun, I downloaded NBA 2K14 for PC. I was always a console gamer prior to this. I was using intel integrated graphics, crappy processor, but could still run the game on medium settings. I was bored, so I started fiddling around with the game and looking things up on it. I found a link the UBR, and my video game life changed forever.

I downloaded the UBR, and was shocked to see I had every team/season at my disposal, I was in heaven. I took a VGA cable and hooked my laptop up to my 50 inch tv, and played the game for a bit with that roster. Meanwhile, my XBOX One was collecting dust, and I was sparingly playing the next gen version of NBA 2K14. I immediately started searching on Craigslist for an affordable yet powerful enough computer to play the game. I ended up finding a good one, and the guy wanted to trade me straight up, Xbox One for the PC (tower). I did the trade, hooked up my PC to my 50 inch tv via HDMI, and the rest is history. I spent over 6000 Hours on NBA 2K14, and even got into modding myself (And joined the UBR team later on with some of my work). I am all about the classic NBA, I love it.

When NBA 2K went Next Gen on PC, the modding community took a hit, because we had to start from scratch. NBA 2K15 we didn't have much modding at all, NBA 2K16 it got a little better, and with NBA 2k17, we have had the most activity since NBA 2K14. We still don't have a REDMC type roster editor, but we can do almost everything else we could before. I got out an All Time Teams Roster that has 100% accurate portraits, and the best players of all time for each franchise, perfectly compatible with MyLeague or PlayNow, and I got out a Fantasy Draft Roster that has all the best players of all time in a draft ready for MyLeague, and I am pushing out an ultimate classic teams roster soon. Han Roster has a roster out there that incorporates many new classic teams by overwriting some of the current classic teams. His roster is good for Play Now with those teams.

The big difference between Console and PC (Other than slightly better graphics, and smoother cut scenes with no FPS drops, as long as you have a good rig), is the mods. The rosters, the scoreboards, the cyberfaces, the basketballs, the SFX mods, the net mods, the body modifications, the jerseys mods, the portrait mods, etc. Its all of that. I truly feel that if you have a good enough rig to handle the PC version, GO FOR IT. Also, I have my PC in my living room, and have it plugged in HDMI to my TV, using an XBOX One Wireless controller.... it's like having a console but with all the added benefits the PC version has to offer.

My vote: PC!
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby tizrockt on Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:12 am

I read your passion and enthusiasm about the mods and it reminds me, how I felt when I installed and saw the first time the ESPN scoreboard instead of the NBA2k one .. years ago.
My PC is already connected to my TV ... its itching more and more
tizrockt

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:26 am

tizrockt wrote:I read your passion and enthusiasm about the mods and it reminds me, how I felt when I installed and saw the first time the ESPN scoreboard instead of the NBA2k one .. years ago.
My PC is already connected to my TV ... its itching more and more

The big thing is, do you have a rig that can handle it at atleast medium settings?

What I have noticed is: It seems that the Console version is the equivalent to Medium settings on the PC. That's just from my experience, I could be wrong. I have a rig that can run it maxed out at full 60 FPS, so I feel I am getting the full experience. But, if graphics are not high on your priority list, you could always do Medium/Low settings and still enjoy the game.

I like having it so all cut scenes (replays/free throws/halftime/pregame etc) have a smooth frame rate.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby deodorantthief1 on Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:57 am

Can't suggest stuff that can get me banned. Get the console and then FOUND OUT a way to get it on the PC to mod it. Other reasons why computers exist.
deodorantthief1

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:26 am

Or, you can purchase the game on Steam, and never have an issue with any mod you try and use, and be able to enjoy the game legally without worry.

The price is more than worth it for the hours put in, plus... think about it this way... If the products are not BOUGHT, the products aren't made. So you are supporting the NBA 2K PC community and helping ensure we keep getting a PC version of the game.

The advice above from the person posting (Judging by how he started the sentence) is NOT good advice.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby deodorantthief1 on Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:35 am

Dee4Three wrote:Or, you can purchase the game on Steam, and never have an issue with any mod you try and use, and be able to enjoy the game legally without worry.

The price is more than worth it for the hours put in, plus... think about it this way... If the products are not BOUGHT, the products aren't made. So you are supporting the NBA 2K PC community and helping ensure we keep getting a PC version of the game.

The advice above from the person posting (Judging by how he started the sentence) is NOT good advice.

Never thought of it that way before with the math, divide, the need for addition for the money for the need to PAY. You have opened up my mind in so many amazing ways. Thank you. Yes, listen to him, he well trained in reasoning. People like physical but you can do that with monitor.
deodorantthief1

Postby Andrew on Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:45 am

It basically comes down to this:

- Are you interested in using mods? If so, then you've got to go with PC.
- Do you have a PC that is capable of running the game? If not, then PS4 is obviously the way to go.
- Do you plan on playing online? There's a larger userbase on PS4, so you'll probably find it easier to find games. Also, no hacking.
- Do you prefer PC or console gaming overall?

On that last point, the PC and PS4 versions are basically identical in terms of features, gameplay, and everything else. I don't feel there's a huge difference in the graphics at the end of the day, and if you've got a PS4 Pro, one of the updates added 4K support.

So again, the main things to consider are your interest in mods, the specs of your PC, whether or not you're interested in playing online, and which platform you ultimately personally prefer.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby OathMamba on Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:57 pm

The mods for PC make it way more worth it than PS4, but PS4 does have the added benefit of being the most reliable DVD/Blu-Ray player ever, so there's that.
OathMamba

Postby tizrockt on Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:32 pm

So I purchased yesterday the game for 20€ on steam (only god knows how much money 2k earned this year because of me).
I tried to play it on a medium configuration and ... yeah, I guess my set up is too old for that.
Lowering the settings make it a little bit ..well..not ugly but..you know what I mean.

Everything else feels and looks the same.
I need to play around with the graphic settings and will see if I can get this working on a smoother level.
But after 4h of downloading 60gb ...I wasn't in the mood to check the configuration in the middle of the night.
tizrockt

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:45 am

tizrockt wrote:So I purchased yesterday the game for 20€ on steam (only god knows how much money 2k earned this year because of me).
I tried to play it on a medium configuration and ... yeah, I guess my set up is too old for that.
Lowering the settings make it a little bit ..well..not ugly but..you know what I mean.

Everything else feels and looks the same.
I need to play around with the graphic settings and will see if I can get this working on a smoother level.
But after 4h of downloading 60gb ...I wasn't in the mood to check the configuration in the middle of the night.

Certainly tweak, and you may be able to get more out of it.

However, if you have a NVIDIA card, you may need to do A LOT of tweaking.. because they have had issues with NVIDIA since the games launch. I have AMD and have had no issues.

Try AA at 2 in game, the crowd and sideline characters on low, and the rest of the settings on Medium. I feel like the game still looks good with those settings.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby tizrockt on Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:14 am

Dee4Three wrote:Certainly tweak, and you may be able to get more out of it.

However, if you have a NVIDIA card, you may need to do A LOT of tweaking.. because they have had issues with NVIDIA since the games launch. I have AMD and have had no issues.

Try AA at 2 in game, the crowd and sideline characters on low, and the rest of the settings on Medium. I feel like the game still looks good with those settings.

Hmm ... time runs pretty fast. Just checked when I bought my pc ...that was in late 2011.
So .... I guess I will stick to NBA2k14/15 instead :)
Damn it :D Now I kinda feel a little bit dumb tbh.
tizrockt

Postby JWL3 on Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:25 am

If you plan on playing online for even a minute - anything but PC. Hell iPad over PC. The rampant cheating on PC is absolutely disgusting. Prepare to either cheat like hell yourself or suffer getting crushed by no skilled hacks chucking up half court swishes in your face.
JWL3

Return to NBA 2K17