[Version 2] Monday's realistic Points of Emphasis for every team

Talk about NBA 2K17 here.

[Version 2] Monday's realistic Points of Emphasis for every team

Postby I Hate Mondays on Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:22 am

Hi guys, I've decided to share this stuff with you since I got really great results using these. This is for the ones saying every team plays the same using the default 2K Roster. This is because in the default roster, pretty much every team has the same neutral playing style. Use this PoEs for your custom roster, and you will see the difference.

So besides the offensive focus, every PoE section has 4 categories. Because one of those categories is "No Preference" aka the setting which takes away a team's identity, I have used the other 3 possibilities for every section. Therefore, when I used any real time stat for every team, I divided a particular hierarchy with 3 (because we have 3 possible category for every section). So the teams 1-10 got the first focus, teams 11-20 got the second focus and teams 21-30 got the final focus.

Version 2:

The real time stats used to determine the playing styles were:
- PACE (RANK) for offensive tempo
- OFF REBOUND RATE (RANK) for the offensive REBOUND focus
- DEF REBOUND RATE (RANK) for the defensive REBOUND focus
- OPP 3PT% ALLOWED (RANK) /INSIDE THE PAINT OPP FG% ALLOWED (RANK) for the defensive focus, the 3pt% allowed was the tie breaker. Results with greater values meant a tendency for a team to protect the paint, while the lower values meant that a team tends to limit perimeter shots.
- BLK + STLS + OPP TOs (RANKS)/FOULSperGAME (RANK) for the deffensive aggresion. Greater values meant the teams play conservative defense, while lower values meant that a team plays physical defense.

For the Offensive focus, since this section is not stat decided, I have used my personal knowledge and vision of the game for every team. I watch a lot of bb, but for some teams I might be a bit off since I've watched 3 Brooklyn Nets games this season for example.

So before I post the settings, if anyone of you guys believes something could be tweaked or changed, please let me know, especially for the Offensive focus decisions which are 100% subjective.

Last edited by I Hate Mondays on Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:15 am, edited 6 times in total.
I Hate Mondays

Re: Monday's realistic Points of Emphasis for every team

Postby Andrew on Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:35 am

Thanks for sharing, definitely good to have some info to work from for such edits. (Y)
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Release Threads: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Threads: NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
Orange Juice, haha!
Administrator

Postby benji on Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:04 am

I might factor in steals and blocks along with fouls into that aggression measure. I always imagined the "conservative" defense as not taking chances as much, while "play physical defense" doesn't mean just that but also try for steals, going after blocks instead of boxing out, etc.

Like you have Cavaliers as "play physical defense" which does make some sense mentally, but they're 28th in fouls per 100 possessions. They're also 27th in blocks and 30th in steals. On the other end the Bucks are 8th in fouls, 4th in steals and 5th in blocks.

Maybe something about forcing turnovers (Cavs are 27th, Bucks 3rd).

Just my thoughts, I've never really thought these seemed to do too terribly much for my team so I never even considered how they alter the AI.
benji

Postby I Hate Mondays on Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:35 am

benji wrote:I might factor in steals and blocks along with fouls into that aggression measure. I always imagined the "conservative" defense as not taking chances as much, while "play physical defense" doesn't mean just that but also try for steals, going after blocks instead of boxing out, etc.

Like you have Cavaliers as "play physical defense" which does make some sense mentally, but they're 28th in fouls per 100 possessions. They're also 27th in blocks and 30th in steals. On the other end the Bucks are 8th in fouls, 4th in steals and 5th in blocks.

Maybe something about forcing turnovers (Cavs are 27th, Bucks 3rd).

Just my thoughts, I've never really thought these seemed to do too terribly much for my team so I never even considered how they alter the AI.

Thank you for the tips, I will redo my formula and post an update (Y)
These settings do make a difference with the right set of sliders (using the community sliders from OS right now). It's exactly how you put it if I think about it, teams which have "conservative defense" mark their man about 4 ft. away from them, waiting for their opponent to get the ball before going into tight defense mode. Teams with "physical defense" always smother their marked man, always go for a steal, for a double team. Simply put, they always go for some '90s body to body contact.

Edit: Version 2 posted
I Hate Mondays

Return to NBA 2K17