Pro Stick or Shoot Button in NBA 2K17?

Pro Stick
33%
Shoot Button
67%

Total votes : 12

Pro Stick or Shoot Button?

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:19 pm

Which method do you use to shoot most often: the Pro Stick, or the Shoot Button?

To date, I've written three Monday Tip-Off articles about this:
http://www.nba-live.com/monday-tip-off- ... on-nba-2k/
http://www.nba-live.com/monday-tip-off- ... 2k-part-2/
http://www.nba-live.com/monday-tip-off- ... 2k-part-3/

Like I said in my most recent article, my habits have actually changed. I used to rely heavily on the Shoot Button and just use the Pro Stick for some extra control in the paint, or when I wanted to perform a bank shot from midrange. Now I find myself using the Pro Stick almost exclusively, sometimes trusting the Shoot Button to make a quick, contextually appropriate decision on dunks and layups, especially when leaking out/cherry picking in 2K Pro-Am. One of the reasons for that is the boost the stick seems to provide, though like I said, I wouldn't mind seeing that toned down for more realism and competitive balance in NBA 2K18. It can be a bit cheesy to say the least.

So, which do you use? Have you noticed a difference between the two in terms of success and reliability? Would you like to see any changes in NBA 2K18?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Pro Stick or Shoot Button?

Postby I Hate Mondays on Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:31 pm

It's actually in the middle for me. Can't pick one. For dunks, layups, post shots and wide open shots, I use the pro stick. For quick dribble + shoot, run-stop-shoot,fadeaways and basically whatever includes moving+jumpshooting, I use the shoot button

Haven't notice any differences between the two methods, I use both of them because I want to trigger different animations
I Hate Mondays

Postby CarolusXCI on Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:12 am

I find the pro stick very useful for post moves. For all the rest, I personally prefer the shoot button.
CarolusXCI

Postby Andrew on Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:29 am

Interesting. For me, the Pro Stick really seems to have made a difference on jumpshots, especially after cranking up the difficulty. It certainly seems to be effective on jumpshot forms with quick releases.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby StyxTx on Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:36 am

Never occurred to me to use the stick but I'll give it a try. Didn't think there'd but much difference.
StyxTx

Postby Andrew on Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:43 am

If the aim is true, you should notice better odds on the dice roll when you don't have a perfect release. Even when you're slightly off, there seems to be a bit of a boost on the stick.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby StyxTx on Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:38 am

Andrew wrote:If the aim is true, you should notice better odds on the dice roll when you don't have a perfect release. Even when you're slightly off, there seems to be a bit of a boost on the stick.

I'll give it a try.
StyxTx

Postby TGsoGood on Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:56 pm

In years past I used mostly button shooting. This year I've used pro stick more.
Follow me on PATREON https://www.patreon.com/TGsoGood
Consider donating: http://cash.me/$TheJohnsonFamily or http://paypal.me/4TheGoods
Follow me on twitter @TGsoGood
Check me out on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPydhZ ... PeRSmEVynQ

NBA 2K21 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=267&t=110608
NBA 2K17 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=225&t=102251#p1860681
NBA 2K14 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=153&t=96056
TGsoGood
Contributor
Contributor

Postby CatScooter on Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:08 am

How about as far as passing goes? I've noticed the ball having quicker, more fluid movement but you don't have access to bounce pass or lob through a modifier and the right stick, they just asses what the "right" pass to make.

After the recent update I've noticed a sharper accuracy when shooting with the stick as well so only just recently have I actually started to use it more often. Kind of growing on me. I'm also messing with the passing sliders to find the right balance with the style I play. The right stick is definitely being incorporated more and more often in other parts of my game that I would normally use the face buttons for.
CatScooter

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:19 am

Here is what I do.

I use the Pro Stick whenever I am going to the hoop, because it makes a difference which way you push it as it correlates to your player finishing. If I drive the lane and I see a defender (or the defense in general) favoring one side, I push the pro stick to the opposite side so my player dunks on that side and has a lesser chance of getting blocked. It also enables me when I drive baseline to push the joystick towards the out of bounds line so I can do reverse layup/dunk. I also use it for Floaters when I see the defense clogged in the paint. I use it on fastbreak dunks as well, because it controls the type of dunk your player will do (like if you push back on it, its fancy dunk).

For shooting, I use it on my shimmy fadeaways, or fadeaways in general. Outside of those, I just use the shoot button for shooting.

Watch the video below and you will see some of what I am talking about. You will see me on the fastbreak with Sam Mack after a steal, and in that highlight you will see him keep the ball in his left hand and dunk on the left side of the rim. On that play, I am pushing the pro stick left while driving to avoid the block. You will also see a reverse layup by Wade where the pro stick was used towards the baseline, and a Mario Elie finger roll going left on the break (By pushing the joystick left). You will also see on the second to last highlight, me drive the lane with Sean Elliot and keep the ball in my right hand for the power jam, because I kept the joystick to the right. You will see Wade on the fastbreak keep it in his right hand, dunks by Lebron on the break where he keeps it in one hand, etc, all done with the pro stick.

In regards to passing, I just use Icon Passing most of the time, and ill use the bounce pass button and the cross court pass button occasionally.

phpBB [video]
Last edited by Dee4Three on Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:35 am

I generally prefer the precision of icon passing as well, outside of the occasional bounce pass or flashy pass, and of course alley-oops.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby hedop on Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:05 am

Shot Button for shots, stick for dunks and inside stuff. I can't remember which youtuber did a detailled analysis after some patches but his conclusion was pretty accurate, they patched out the bonus you got using the stick so now the shot button is better because you don't have to bother trying to prevent turning it right or left as well.
hedop

Postby Andrew on Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:50 am

They reduced the bonus, but it still feels more accurate to me, compared to the dice roll of the button.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby CatScooter on Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:29 pm

This was my shot button test.

I changed the controller configuration so that the shot button (x/square/whatever) replaced Down on the right stick. This means that by pressing the shot button this pulls accurately down on the right stick perfectly centered. The shots were pretty flawless and isn't influenced left or right and the arch/boost is consistent. When replaced to original control settings... There was far more variables with getting the same exact shot off using just the regular shot button. Do this test and you'll see what the perfect shot is for any player.
CatScooter

Postby Andrew on Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:38 am

Seems the Pro Stick still does have a bit of a boost then...if you can nail the angle each and every time, of course.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to NBA 2K17