Beyond Frustrated with NBA 2k17 - Anybody??!

Talk about NBA 2K17 here.

Re: Beyond Frustrated with NBA 2k17 - Anybody??!

Postby ThePointForward on Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:16 am

More importantly I think most of us were fairly constructive and civilized here.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:47 am

Dommy73 wrote:More importantly I think most of us were fairly constructive and civilized here.

Agreed, 100%.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby ThePointForward on Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:50 am

OK, so I simply do not want to give up on the game. I return time and time again, I want to try and fix it as much as possible for myself.

Today I started tweaking sliders myself. A lot. That's something I haven't really done before, I usually tried game difficulties and some of the top downloaded sliders from the community, but I thought, what the hell, why not.

So I started new MyGM, playing as Cavs. As a base I used Crewe's sliders from OS. Tweaked some stuff I knew I didn't like from before. During the first game I was still tweaking some stuff, mainly buffing the CPU in the second quarter.

Misc settings:

• Game Speed - 60
  • Shooting types - User timing
  • Quarter Length - 12 minutes (this was big for me)
  • Full playvision and having CPU coach calling plays on both ends (I think this is very important to why the game felt good)

Now onto the result of the first game:

Team comparison:
I don't think there is much wrong in the numbers. Final score is definitely believable, the numbers seem pretty good all around. Only thing that is a bit weird are the fouls, but since I buffed the CPU, it was pretty fair. The first quarter was very one sided in that matter (before the buff).

Shot chart:
Not many 3pt shots falling, most scoring done in the paint. Again, I consider that pretty good result. The attempts are there, but they were fairly well defended.

Box score CAVS:
LeBron had monster game, Kyrie and Love did pretty much what they're actually there to do. Some bench players did not play because New York made very nice comeback attempt in the second part of 3rd and in the 4th quarter. Actually looked very similar to some Cavs-Knicks game I watched this season, so I'm fairly satisfied.

Box score KNICKS:
Nothing jumps out at me as very bad, am I overlooking something? Like I said, I made sure to defend three pointers, so the poor shooting from deep should be caused by that.

I'll play some more games to see if this wasn't just a fluke, but the game felt good. I really think that having CPU call plays was very important to the flow of the game.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:23 am

Dommy73 wrote:OK, so I simply do not want to give up on the game. I return time and time again, I want to try and fix it as much as possible for myself.

Today I started tweaking sliders myself. A lot. That's something I haven't really done before, I usually tried game difficulties and some of the top downloaded sliders from the community, but I thought, what the hell, why not.

So I started new MyGM, playing as Cavs. As a base I used Crewe's sliders from OS. Tweaked some stuff I knew I didn't like from before. During the first game I was still tweaking some stuff, mainly buffing the CPU in the second quarter.

Misc settings:

• Game Speed - 60
  • Shooting types - User timing
  • Quarter Length - 12 minutes (this was big for me)
  • Full playvision and having CPU coach calling plays on both ends (I think this is very important to why the game felt good)

Now onto the result of the first game:

Team comparison:
[ Image ]
I don't think there is much wrong in the numbers. Final score is definitely believable, the numbers seem pretty good all around. Only thing that is a bit weird are the fouls, but since I buffed the CPU, it was pretty fair. The first quarter was very one sided in that matter (before the buff).

Shot chart:
[ Image ]
Not many 3pt shots falling, most scoring done in the paint. Again, I consider that pretty good result. The attempts are there, but they were fairly well defended.

Box score CAVS:
[ Image ]
LeBron had monster game, Kyrie and Love did pretty much what they're actually there to do. Some bench players did not play because New York made very nice comeback attempt in the second part of 3rd and in the 4th quarter. Actually looked very similar to some Cavs-Knicks game I watched this season, so I'm fairly satisfied.

Box score KNICKS:
[ Image ]
Nothing jumps out at me as very bad, am I overlooking something? Like I said, I made sure to defend three pointers, so the poor shooting from deep should be caused by that.

I'll play some more games to see if this wasn't just a fluke, but the game felt good. I really think that having CPU call plays was very important to the flow of the game.

Hey Dommy,

It's not about the stats, its the way the game plays. Yes, you can get realistic stats out of some games, but the issues I mentioned in the first post, and all the other game engine issues, destroy the flow and pace of the game. So many things happening out of the users control. I have had MANY games with pretty realistic stats that flat out played poorly, they were very frustrating games.

I'm glad you are not giving up, I've messed with the things like you wouldn't believe, but the issues I am speaking of are game engine issues that cannot seem to be fixed.

Also Note: I also switched to the CPU running plays awhile ago
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby ThePointForward on Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:34 am

Yeah, but unless I do a video with the gameplay, the stats are best thing to show right now.

On the upside: So far, in the two games, no bullshit moving charges.

Like I said, I activated play calling and that improved the flow of the game a lot for me. There are issues and I think even I mentioned quite a few (or I at least agree with many things that were said here).

But the stats were huge issue for me as well. I just couldn't find solid settings to have realistic stats, it often ended with huge blowouts. I'm talking 150-90 and so on. That doesn't happen every game.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:36 am

Dommy73 wrote:Yeah, but unless I do a video with the gameplay, the stats are best thing to show right now.

On the upside: So far, in the two games, no bullshit moving charges.

Like I said, I activated play calling and that improved the flow of the game a lot for me. There are issues and I think even I mentioned quite a few (or I at least agree with many things that were said here).

But the stats were huge issue for me as well. I just couldn't find solid settings to have realistic stats, it often ended with huge blowouts. I'm talking 150-90 and so on. That doesn't happen every game.

Good point, and good to hear about the charging calls.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:26 am

When we look back at how things have gone for NBA 2K and NBA Live since the last time they were on par with each other - I'd say NBA Live 2005 and NBA 2K5, or perhaps the PS2 versions of NBA Live 06 and NBA 2K6 - it's interesting how each company has made its own mistakes, and how the different decisions have impacted the situation we now find ourselves in as basketball gamers.

NBA Live tried starting over from scratch a few times too many, and changed direction too often. It didn't allow them to steadily build on a foundation, improving on the things that did work, and fixing the things that did not. The product definitely suffered in quality and depth, and progress has been slow because of the short development cycle. There's promise and signs of good tech, but chopping and changing, and starting over from scratch, has put the game behind where it needs to be. With so much to do and not a long development cycle to do it, games have had to re-use assets, and try to be as good as they can be, rather than as good as they need (and want) to be. There's still promise and I've heard good things from people who've playtested what they've been working on since NBA Live 16, but there's a long way to go.

NBA 2K has introduced new tech and switched to the Eco-Motion engine on the current generation, but have also stayed the course and built upon what they already had. Considering the quality of the product and the way they overtook Live in both sales and the overall quality, it's a more sensible idea on paper. It's taken steps back here and there, or made some design choices that didn't necessarily pan out, but the quality has been more consistent than Live, the experience generally more pleasing. The problem is, by staying the course, some things haven't changed when they've really needed to, and there are bunch of legacy issues. The feeling of players running in mud, getting stuck to each other in two man animations, and various AI quirks, are some of the key examples we could cite here. Some of those issues have been going on for a while, and they're really starting to become tiresome and frustrating.

NBA Live needs consistency and polish as it plays catch up. NBA 2K needs to find a way to iron out these issues that have been a problem for years, and are becoming bigger annoyances as we've grown tired of dealing with them in every game. NBA Live needs to establish that solid foundation, and build something great on it. NBA 2K has a great foundation and has built something impressive, but also needs repairs and renovations that go beyond a fresh coat of paint or a new tree in the front yard, so to speak.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby I Hate Mondays on Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:35 pm

Dommy, can I get a link for those sliders made by Crewe? I want to give them a try. If they are on 2K share on PC, you could just give the name of the set.

So after I've seen your numbers, I've noticed you said you activated the playcalling for the CPU. Wasn't that on by default? Where did you make that tweak? Was it in the coaching section?
I Hate Mondays

Postby ThePointForward on Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:55 pm

I Hate Mondays wrote:Dommy, can I get a link for those sliders made by Crewe? I want to give them a try. If they are on 2K share on PC, you could just give the name of the set.

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/n ... al-fg.html

But like I said, I did make some changes to them, like ramping up fouls, lowering 3pt tendency (still had Porzingis attempt stepback fadeaway 3pt like he's Curry - another piece of evidence that the game is optimized for Warriors in my opinion) and not giving CPU 100 blocking.

I Hate Mondays wrote:So after I've seen your numbers, I've noticed you said you activated the playcalling for the CPU. Wasn't that on by default? Where did you make that tweak? Was it in the coaching section?

I don't think it's on by default. It is in the coaching settings, I have the offensive and defensive playcalling on auto now.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Dee4Three on Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:46 pm

Dommy73 wrote:
I Hate Mondays wrote:Dommy, can I get a link for those sliders made by Crewe? I want to give them a try. If they are on 2K share on PC, you could just give the name of the set.

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/n ... al-fg.html

But like I said, I did make some changes to them, like ramping up fouls, lowering 3pt tendency (still had Porzingis attempt stepback fadeaway 3pt like he's Curry - another piece of evidence that the game is optimized for Warriors in my opinion) and not giving CPU 100 blocking.

I Hate Mondays wrote:So after I've seen your numbers, I've noticed you said you activated the playcalling for the CPU. Wasn't that on by default? Where did you make that tweak? Was it in the coaching section?

I don't think it's on by default. It is in the coaching settings, I have the offensive and defensive playcalling on auto now.

Yeah its not on by default. You have to turn it on.

I didn't like auto defense play calling, but I did put auto offense playcalling on.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby ThePointForward on Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:55 am

I have zone usage set to 1 out of 100 anyway, so it's man to man essentially always. I suppose it would switch back to man to man after some time automatically if I were to play zone...
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby I Hate Mondays on Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:27 am

Dommy73 wrote:I have zone usage set to 1 out of 100 anyway, so it's man to man essentially always. I suppose it would switch back to man to man after some time automatically if I were to play zone...

Check your PM man
I Hate Mondays

Postby CarolusXCI on Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:54 am

Today I accidentally found a copy of the nba_animations.iff file from September (therefore before patch 1.03 iirc) in my "modded" folder. Then I realized that I've been playing with this anim file since then. So I exported the one contained inside 0D (the up-to-date one) and compared the old and the new files. Hexadecimal-wise, it seems that the two files are pretty different. Then I tried to play with the updated anim file for the first time. I didn't see much difference regarding gameplay to be honest, maybe because I only played 2 games (both 04' Wolves x 03' Mavs) and I haven't been playing the game that regularly. But I can tell that I couldn't get a single block with Shawn Bradley, even when guys like Mark Madsen and Fred Hoiberg were finishing at close range and within Bradley's long reach. CPU could not block a shot either, even driving against 04' Garnett. There was a total of 0 blocks in both games combined (6 min a quarter), and that was new to me.

I can upload this old iff anim file so you guys can try it, as long as it's not against the forum rules, of course.
CarolusXCI

Postby Andrew on Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:52 am

That should be fine. It's not really any different to what we've done before with file swapping mods.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby benji on Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:15 am

My favorite continuing feature across years is the endless coach swapping. And how a fired coach is almost immediately snapped up by someone else followed by their former coach getting snapped up.

The twist of having the coach never actually appear in any cutscene if he doesn't have the "miced up" segment because my assistant coach does all the timeouts always was new this year I think though.

I think I'm just making random beefs as they come to mind though. Everyone else seems to be discussing the gameplay issues. I just find it amusing nobody seems to have noticed the coach thing in three years at least.

Also today I got to hear a hilarious commentary cut where Clark Kellogg stopped mid-sentence and it went to him saying "76ers" in an neutral tone and then cut back into his passionate statement about whatever they weren't doing.

Oh, and I'm also desiring to fine my players for pointing at their head after a made basket as well.

Evan Fournier is the weirdest looking player in the game from behind because of the combination of him being starved to nothing and the wings of his back tattoo, it's great! I'd start him just to see it!
Last edited by benji on Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
benji

Postby benji on Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:17 am

It was mentioned but managing everyone on the team's different desires for practice intensity and the fact that you can keep the promise to them and it won't register so I just ignore anyone who wants to talk about it makes me imagine the GM seeing the player in the hallway and like ducking into a room or faking a phone call or something.

The owner's easier to keep happy even when he demands near contradictory or impossible goals lol
benji

Postby Andrew on Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:35 am

I've actually noticed the coach issue having recently begun my second year of MyCAREER. Gregg Popovich has quite randomly left the Spurs in order to coach the Celtics, to name one prominent example I've encountered early on.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby benji on Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:11 am

I did a random multi-year sim where Popp coached about ten teams.

Also, as long as they stay stuck to a team a guy like Earl Watson will retire from coaching after a year or two, while Popp will go until 2045 or whatever. The game wipes them out like the end of the FA list otherwise.

I once saw Fred Hoiberg get fired and hired by six teams over two seasons.

Doing random sims in myleague and letting the AI do everything while watching TV or whatever shows you how it really breaks fast. Although my favorite thing to do is fuck with the league rules every offseason, especially the shot clock.

There's also a bug where if teams don't have enough players when you cross over into the "season" and it signs automatically, the team won't allocate minutes to those new players so randomly you'll have a team where like everyone averages 47 mpg and it's redistributed their tendencies so they have massive usage rates and thus crazy stats.

In a myleague take a team and adjust just one player so he gets 100 as his touches rating and drag down the rest and it ups all his stats. I had a random guy instantly averaging like 45/22/9 with 5 steals and 6 blocks despite being rated 71 overall because the sim engine was allocating the stats to him even though his touches shouldn't affect his rebounding/steals/blocks much.

It's not hard to make the Live 08 simengine look sane.
benji

Postby deodorantthief1 on Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:01 am

hedop wrote:Tbh there is a lot more that sucks in this game. I know that the main issue is the gameplay itself. However that's an aspect of the whole game and if you really want to make a point you have to take the whole game into account which shows how truely shoddy the whole game has been produced.

It starts with really miniscule stuff:

1. The menu design is truely rubbish. Burrying the roster editor under option/features is truely stupid. Putting MyGM/MyLeague on one tab and forcing everyone to go through like 5 menus to get where you want to go is just maddening especially when you are, like me, someone who starts a lot of MyLeagues and MyGM's to try out rosters or certain setups.

2. Yes I know I need to update the game but can I not acknowledge that, finish playing my current game and then go back to the main menu without having the warning continuously displayed during the game? Also why do I have to go back? Why can't I select: sync game with upgrade or why isn't it enough to just finish the game and get back to the main screen of MyGM and MyLeague? Why do I actually have to choose a menu and then back out of it to get the update when I'm already on the main menu page???

3. Why is there still no proper roster editor? Why do I need an external program for it? I can't change age or birthday of legends without it, so it makes the ones they added (if they are on the older side) utterly useless for a longer MyGM or MyLeague run. Why can't I change exisiting playbooks and remove stupid plays so that they have no chance of being called? Why can't I create coaches, GM's and what not and am stuck with the rubbish they provide? Why can't I edit existing staff's rating without employing them first? Why can't I give players with unique cyberfaces headgear even though I can do exactly that in WWE 2k16 and WWE 2k17? Why (unless they are scared of lawsuits) can't we have a database for downloading teams or single players? Why are only the teams that are already in the game availabe for editing and not adding some? Why are single player players locked out of having access to the hundreds of legends that are apparently in the game but only for MyTeam? Why are there absolutely no name and city combinations available that the announcers will actually pronounce? Yeah you can name your team whatever, but none of the anouncers will say the name. So what use is it? Why is there no in game possibility to add new jerseys after a certain time? And why is there no editor option to do the same?

4. MyGM still carries the legacy issues it has had for years. The chemistry system isn't working so even a guy at the 12th spot in your rotation who gets 5 minutes a game will claiming a starting spot even though his position is held down by Klay Thompson and KD who both average 35 points a game? Why am I still accused of breaking my word for promising a player something, then doing it and then being accused of breaking my word 10 days later? Why does the trade finder still only find rubbish trades and any decent trade is restricted to you actually picking out players yourself and checking if the team that has the player would trade with you for him? Why are teams still willing to trade absolute core peaces of their teams for absolute rubbish. The Jazz have been trying to get rid of Gobert for 2 years now, usually the even throw in Favors and/or Hayward even though there is no implication that the team would ever do so in real life? Why are the Celtics constantly trying to offload Jae Crowder and Marcus Smart even though those players are starters and or high in the rotation and are regarded as untouchable for Boston? Why does my Team play in front of an empty building when I raise the ticket prices even though the concensus among fans is that it is a fair price and I have a 100% fan interest (I raised the price from when it was green to 5 dollars more expensive than green... wow what a raise) and why does that not change even when I win the whole league??? Why do I have to waist 10: Mind trick pitches on a 69 rated player to sign with me??? All those issues have been in place for ages. Also the injury bug to my knowledge has persisted from day one until now even though it was reported for ages.

5. In game: why of why can't I skip those stupic cutscnes right away??? The game is loaded and it says: press A to start game yet I still need to click and click again to get past that annoying pre-game show. Same goes for Halftime. I click and they skip like one line and then I need to click again and again for them to finally disappear. Why can't I switch it off at all? Why can't I skip timeout sequences and instead have to wait until the animation of them going to the bench is done? Why does the game not skip when I skip the commentators showing some ridiculous stat instead waiting for them to finish their lines and then waiting some more before the refs give the ball back? Is that soooo hard? Let me play and not waste time like the real NBA. Why on earth do I get foul calls on stuff where my player was like a metre apart from his counterpart? Why on earth do I constantly get shots drained into my face even though I'm like glue on that guy and have a hand in his face when he gets it off. It just drops in. Why does my manual controlled player attempt a steal even when I have defensive assisstant off and did not press a single button? Why does he attempt a steal after switching players when the press for the steal clearly came before I switched players?

6. Why is everything VC? What is VC for in MyGM? Why do I have to sit through cutscenes in MyCareer instead of skipping them? Why does it all have to be behind a paywall and so fucking expensive? Why do we need Archetypes in a day and age when it is precisely the unicorn player type who is the most sought after in the NBA: oversized point guard with handles, shooting and athleticism, small power forward or center with handles, passing, stroke and athleticism, massively tall powerforward or center with handles, footwork, passing, stroke and rimprotection, athletic, tall and longarmed wing with stroke and passing prowess, undersized two guard who can also run the point by virtue of being an athletic freak with a Steph Curry stroke. It's like playing in the 60's, 70's and 80's with this game. So you can either be Jerry West or Bob Cousy or Pistol Pete or Oscar but god forbid you wanna be Jason Kidd or Gary Payton or even better CP3 or Magic, Elgin Baylor or Larry Bird or Chris Mullin but god forbid you wanna be BronBron or the Greek Freak, Moses or Russell or Wilt but god forbid you wanna be Bill Laimbeer or KAT but you can be the Mailman or the Worm or Sir Charles but god forbid you wanna be Kristaps, C-Webb or Draymond. It's just stupid.

Yes in there own way all those players were unicorn too but that was 30 or 40 years ago. In today's NBA unless you have some type of offensive game AND Defense you are basically dead meat at Center unless your point guard is CP3. How many straight up defense centers have a starting job in the NBA with no offensive tools? The same goes for post scorers. That is seriously an archetype? Those guys claim they know about basketball because Scott "OG" was such an "OG" that he actually played basketball before he became an "OG" yet none of them seem to ever have read a single article about basketball or listened to a podcast. The straight up no defense post game center is absolutely dead which is why Sam Hinkie lost his job over drafting Okafor and not getting rid of him and that is why Milwaukee is shopping Greg Monroe like crazy. What about glass cleaner? That used to be a thing when Moses Malone was a young man without goggles and when Charles Barkley still had a moustache. That archetype is dead and buried. If you want to stick around a decent team you are EXPECTED to clean the glass. Haven't they noticed that the rebounding numbers get gaudier every season? AD, Draymond, Boogie, Drummond, Kristaps, Noel, Embiid etc. all the good big man basically throw 15 or 20 rebound games at each others head every week and even guys like Russel Westbrook and Harden regulary grab 10 rebounds a night while an unathletic guy like Curry still grabs like 4 or 5. How on earth can that be an archetype then. What you gonna grab 80 rebounds a game? And again: nearly no offensive game to speak off. Unheard of in the NBA today. Either you have to be extremely skilled in the low post or you have to at least have good hands to pass the ball on. Also Dirk's time is over. No one with a right mind takes a big man who can just shoot and nothing else anymore because the other teams will simply play you small and crush that big and slow dude with no defensive skills. It's also very rare to have guys who can only shoot that size. Enes Kanter can shoot but he can also put the moves on you in the post and fuck you up from the midrange. Same goes for Milsap, Horford, Porzingis, Love (who loves post play and rebounding) and others. It simply isn't an archetype anymore. So this whole system stinks and you have to waste VC on it and you have to sit through hours of cut scenes and practice for hours to get your free throw shot rating up....

Like I said. There is so much rubbish in that game from the ground up design wise that it is hard to say: it's the gameplay that makes this game suck. Yeah bodytypes suck and so do still not updated cyberfaces (check Bill Laimbeer ;)) and a lot of ingame stuff sucks but the whole product is shoddy so it's no wonder that the core of the whole game is rubbish too.

I'm still waiting for somebody to come up with a solution for the dumb 50-55 rpg stats. No team in the NBA averages that.
deodorantthief1

Postby hedop on Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:57 pm

Guys!!! Salvation is coming from the oppressive 2k Regime: NBA Playground!!! Yeah finally we gonna get a new NBA Jam.
hedop

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:11 am

So when it comes down to it.. Here are the top 10 gameplay fixes that need to occur in NBA 2K18.

1. Heavy players - After the patches, the players feel heavy and hard to move around. The original game before patches the players were much lighter. So, heavy feeling players need to be fixed.

2. Slow motion dunks/layups - Not as bad on the original .exe, horrible after patches. Players do not go up for layups and dunks in slow motion in real life.

3. Slow Motion dribbling - Impossible for human beings to even dribble a ball that slow, it looks very unnatural.

4. Broken Defense: This has already been covered at length, but the team defense needs a complete overhaul.

5. Floating passes: Nobody throws the ball that slow in real life, in fact, the ball in real life couldn't even move that slow through the air.

6. Players losing the ball: Body blocks and body steals, where the offensive player just drops the ball or loses the ball, players are taught at a very young age to hang onto the ball tight and secure, not in NBA 2K17.

7. Roster signatures/attributes/tendencies: Overall just need to be more accurate, the user shouldn't have to go in a edit every team for accuracy.

8. Protected shots: Players who clearly have blue sky to get a shot off, being forced to fadeaway and brick shots. If you are going to have protected shots, make sure they activate when the defender is actually in the offensive players shorts. Or, just let us decide if we are going to fadeaway, I never liked the idea of protected shots to being with.

9. Outlet passes: Outlet passes sail over offensive players heads even when the offensive player is wide open down the floor, it's like these guys are playing middle school basketball and need to learn the fundamentals. If the defense is broken and that is why you are making the game play like that, that's not acceptable.

10. Forced Animations: Forced fouls, forced animations where your defender is made to slide over (Like skate over) into an offensive player for a foul.

Those are the top 10 gameplay issues that need to be fixed in my opinion, ill also be posting this in the wishlist for NBA 2K18 incase its not seen by 2k here.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby bluejaybrandon on Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:57 am

Dee4Three wrote:So when it comes down to it.. Here are the top 10 gameplay fixes that need to occur in NBA 2K18.

1. Heavy players - After the patches, the players feel heavy and hard to move around. The original game before patches the players were much lighter. So, heavy feeling players need to be fixed.

2. Slow motion dunks/layups - Not as bad on the original .exe, horrible after patches. Players do not go up for layups and dunks in slow motion in real life.

3. Slow Motion dribbling - Impossible for human beings to even dribble a ball that slow, it looks very unnatural.

4. Broken Defense: This has already been covered at length, but the team defense needs a complete overhaul.

5. Floating passes: Nobody throws the ball that slow in real life, in fact, the ball in real life couldn't even move that slow through the air.

6. Players losing the ball: Body blocks and body steals, where the offensive player just drops the ball or loses the ball, players are taught at a very young age to hang onto the ball tight and secure, not in NBA 2K17.

7. Roster signatures/attributes/tendencies: Overall just need to be more accurate, the user shouldn't have to go in a edit every team for accuracy.

8. Protected shots: Players who clearly have blue sky to get a shot off, being forced to fadeaway and brick shots. If you are going to have protected shots, make sure they activate when the defender is actually in the offensive players shorts. Or, just let us decide if we are going to fadeaway, I never liked the idea of protected shots to being with.

9. Outlet passes: Outlet passes sail over offensive players heads even when the offensive player is wide open down the floor, it's like these guys are playing middle school basketball and need to learn the fundamentals. If the defense is broken and that is why you are making the game play like that, that's not acceptable.

10. Forced Animations: Forced fouls, forced animations where your defender is made to slide over (Like skate over) into an offensive player for a foul.

Those are the top 10 gameplay issues that need to be fixed in my opinion, ill also be posting this in the wishlist for NBA 2K18 incase its not seen by 2k here.

Just to play devil's advocate and spark some discussion, I think 2k sees your points 1,2,3, and 5 as necessary. The game is slowed down on purpose. While it doesn't necessarily make for an accurate basketball sim, most people on the forums are more hardcore fans then your general consumer. 2k is a business trying to push sales and if the game speeds up too much and becomes solely fast twitch reactions at the breakneck speed of a real NBA game, I think a lot of people may be turned off from that. The average fan wants to pick up the game and shoot around with their favorite player. They don't want to have to make quick passes to beat complex NBA defenses. While I do agree with your points wholeheartedly, its important to remember that 2k is trying to reach the largest demographic they can with this game. NBA 2k is no longer the basketball sim to NBA Live's arcade feel. 2k has become a mass produced, mainstream product (i.e. Madden). That kind of game trades realism for accessibility. Just some random thoughts.
bluejaybrandon

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:39 am

bluejaybrandon wrote:
Dee4Three wrote:So when it comes down to it.. Here are the top 10 gameplay fixes that need to occur in NBA 2K18.

Just to play devil's advocate and spark some discussion, I think 2k sees your points 1,2,3, and 5 as necessary. The game is slowed down on purpose. While it doesn't necessarily make for an accurate basketball sim, most people on the forums are more hardcore fans then your general consumer. 2k is a business trying to push sales and if the game speeds up too much and becomes solely fast twitch reactions at the breakneck speed of a real NBA game, I think a lot of people may be turned off from that. The average fan wants to pick up the game and shoot around with their favorite player. They don't want to have to make quick passes to beat complex NBA defenses. While I do agree with your points wholeheartedly, its important to remember that 2k is trying to reach the largest demographic they can with this game. NBA 2k is no longer the basketball sim to NBA Live's arcade feel. 2k has become a mass produced, mainstream product (i.e. Madden). That kind of game trades realism for accessibility. Just some random thoughts.

Oh, I am aware. I've said this many times myself.

It doesn't make it right, or enjoyable for us who want the game to move a realistic way.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby bluejaybrandon on Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:36 am

Obviously competition in the marketplace is always beneficial to the consumer but does anyone think that a return of NBA Live will encourage 2k to adapt and move towards realism? Now that they've bastardized the basketball sim the way Madden has with football, I just don't see them switching gears when they can churn out more MyCareer accessories and Myteam card packs and make a fortune. Micro-transactions have completely ruined the sports genre for me. The argument is always well then just don't play that part, but it takes away valuable resources year-to-year on creating a realistic product. I think the ship has sailed on the truly realistic experience that majority around here crave.
bluejaybrandon

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:07 am

bluejaybrandon wrote:Obviously competition in the marketplace is always beneficial to the consumer but does anyone think that a return of NBA Live will encourage 2k to adapt and move towards realism? Now that they've bastardized the basketball sim the way Madden has with football, I just don't see them switching gears when they can churn out more MyCareer accessories and Myteam card packs and make a fortune. Micro-transactions have completely ruined the sports genre for me. The argument is always well then just don't play that part, but it takes away valuable resources year-to-year on creating a realistic product. I think the ship has sailed on the truly realistic experience that majority around here crave.

Totally agree with some of this, while it hasn't completely ruined it for me, the micro-transaction direction has certainly seemed to take the focus off of the gameplay.

I would LOVE for Live to compete this year, while I will still play 2k because its on PC and I can mod, I would not hesitate to pick up a physical copy of live for X1 and sink my teeth into it.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

PreviousNext

Return to NBA 2K17