Hov's Gameplay & Rating Idea

Talk about NBA 2K17 here.

Re: Hov's Gameplay & Rating Idea

Postby Uncle Drew on Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:27 pm

I Hate Mondays wrote:Will update the sliders on 2K using 42 Fatigue, 20 Off Rebounds, 25 Def Rebounds. Can't wait to try this

Can you let us know when you upload them, and what name are they under? Thx.
Uncle Drew

Postby dare on Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:57 pm

Hey Hova, I haven't tried your sliders yet but this looks really good. Just want to ask can you give tips on how you edit the rosters? attributes and tendencies? Are using any data for the players attributes?
dare
True kings have rings

Postby hova- on Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:17 pm

Uncle Drew wrote:
I Hate Mondays wrote:Will update the sliders on 2K using 42 Fatigue, 20 Off Rebounds, 25 Def Rebounds. Can't wait to try this

Can you let us know when you upload them, and what name are they under? Thx.

Im even thinking about lowering the rebounding more. Not sure yet.

@dare: I am using basketballreference.com for the per 36 stats, nbasavant.com for the shot chart and shot types and sometimes nba.com for stuff like screens set, play types etc.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby I Hate Mondays on Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:03 am

Updated the sliders. I gave the sliders one update/modification, lol. It seems people on 2k share tend to download and try slider sets with more updates.
I will modify them again if you make any changes, no worries. Just let me know

@Uncle Drew, the roster name is "Hova Sliders". My in game username is I Hate Mondays
I Hate Mondays

Postby Uncle Drew on Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:52 am

I Hate Mondays wrote:Updated the sliders. I gave the sliders one update/modification, lol. It seems people on 2k share tend to download and try slider sets with more updates.
I will modify them again if you make any changes, no worries. Just let me know

@Uncle Drew, the roster name is "Hova Sliders". My in game username is I Hate Mondays

Ok, thx. Another thing I've noticed, I'm seeing animations that I've never seen before, with this new slider set. Don't know what Hova did to activate them, but they are pretty sweet !!
Uncle Drew

Postby hova- on Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:12 am

Cheers man, I think it has to do with the game speed and the fact that the ball seems to be very loose and free quite a lot.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby I Hate Mondays on Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:44 am

I thought I was the only one seeing new animations trigger. I thought I wouldn't say it here because I thought I was tripping lol.
I Hate Mondays

Postby Uncle Drew on Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:11 am

http://imgur.com/6V49QBF

Here's a result from earlier. Can someone tell me how to post the picture of the stat screen on this site, without having to use the URL?
Uncle Drew

Postby Andrew on Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:01 am

You need to use a URL to embed an image in posts here. It's just a matter of using the right one.

Code: Select all
[img]http://i.imgur.com/6V49QBF.png[/img]

Normally, Imgur should present Share options, one of which is BBCode (which is what you should copy and use here), but for some reason it doesn't seem to be coming up when I open that link. In that case, you can just right click the image, select "Copy image address", and paste it between the IMG BBCode tags (as shown above).
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby I Hate Mondays on Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:02 am

Very good stats IMO. Next time, could you take a pic of the boxscores for both teams?
I Hate Mondays

Postby Uncle Drew on Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:13 am

I Hate Mondays wrote:Very good stats IMO. Next time, could you take a pic of the boxscores for both teams?

I sure can. Trying to get use to doing things like you pros.... :D
Uncle Drew

Postby Uncle Drew on Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:14 am

Andrew wrote:You need to use a URL to embed an image in posts here. It's just a matter of using the right one.

Code: Select all
[img]http://i.imgur.com/6V49QBF.png[/img]

Normally, Imgur should present Share options, one of which is BBCode (which is what you should copy and use here), but for some reason it doesn't seem to be coming up when I open that link. In that case, you can just right click the image, select "Copy image address", and paste it between the IMG BBCode tags (as shown above).

Thx for the tip Andrew...
Uncle Drew

Postby Uncle Drew on Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:17 am

The stats are pretty realistic, except the Raptors (me) went to line more, and both teams shot poorly from 3. I didn't record the box score, but DeRozen had 28, and Lowry 19 and 10 asts, to lead Toronto. Leonard led the Spurs with 24 pts and 9 boards. LA had 22 pts and 8 boards, Spurs rookie pg Murray had 12 and 6 assts.
Uncle Drew

Postby hova- on Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:23 pm

Did you experience a lot of reaching fouls by the CPU?

Toronto is averaging the most FT attempts of all NBA teams in real life. Still, maybe it is just to easy for you to drive and you could change that via sliders.

About the three pointers: I don't have the problem. I get very mixed results. Some teams are hot, some not. Open shots will fall most of the time, contested shots only with good shooters.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby I Hate Mondays on Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:43 pm

The 3pt% for the Spurs is lower than expected, they play very good IQ basketball and their 3pt% is around 50 for the season. But that means you played great D bro, haha.
Still, most of the teams average around 30ish% from the 3PT line so your percentage for the Raptors looks ok for me. Spurs are great defenders, they shut down the shooters very, very well. A 28% from the 3PT line for their opponents is expected most of the time.
In my first games I was a little skeptical too about the 3PT slider, I had two games with less than 5 3PTers made at around 20% from that field. But the truth is, I was getting used to the sliders. When I finally understood that you have to take smart, open shots, my percentages went better day by day.
P.S. Try a game against the Warriors bro. You'd be amazed how they'd torch you, just like in real life, with 10-15 3PT made at the end of the game at around 50%.
I Hate Mondays

Postby I Hate Mondays on Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:52 am

So I had another game Grizzlies(me) vs. DeRozan-less Raptors(CPU). I am ashamed to say I lost and it also was a blowout :lol: . I had some bad turnovers during the 3rd quarter, so the lead was up to 12 going in the fourth. I took some Hail Mary shots to make the gap smaller but it was a horrible decision. My 3PT% went from 40% in the 3rd to 26% at the end of the game. I was also focusing on testing the new rebound values. Here are the results.

Even though the Raptors had 0 blocks, I played a mid-range/post-game style. Not that many drives for the basket for me this time. In other games, I got blocked just fine when attempting a layup so again, how you play matters. You could give this category a look if you feel like it. I know you mentioned the block numbers a few posts ago.

I am afraid the rebounding still needs tweaking. 22 for Valanciunas is his new career high lol, while the other were trash.
I thought my number were ok at first, my team high 15 rebounds is OK in the NBA, but then I took a look at Gasol's rebounding numbers for the season and he averages 6/game. His in game rebound skills are not that elite either, he shouldn't have had more than 10. But then I figured..Gasol is the tallest guy on the team. The other guys from my team (for example Conley) had OK rebounding numbers because I was literally battling Gasol for a manual rebound over him. But half of the time Gasol's size mattered the most and he took the ball even though I was in a better position. I never thought I would fight with my own AI teammates for rebounds lol :lol: So this size thing is still a factor. I hope you can figure it out. Try playing with the "Vertical" value also, I remember this category affected the rebound system when tweaked a bit.

Next time, I will focus more on the stealing system to test it. I don't think I've seen a on-ball steal yet during my 6 games played. Most of the steals are caused by bad passes or when "crowding" happens and the ball handler loses the ball because he bumps into 3 other players.
Let me know what you think (Y)

Edit: I've fired up a scrimmage game using the Spurs. The stealing values are amazing. I can steal the ball when the CPU tries to dribble past me one on one. I could also steal the ball in the post or when a big man was not moving, having both of his hands on the ball. No tweaking needed here for me.
I Hate Mondays

Postby Uncle Drew on Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:38 am

Noticed you had only 8 FT attempts for the whole game? Did you dribble drive the paint much? Valenciunas and Gasol had big rebounding numbers. Seems like you lost that game at the FT line and turnovers. Good stuff..I like how every game is different.
Uncle Drew

Postby hova- on Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:02 am

I really hope that the big men rebound thing has nothing to do with the positions. Because it seems like most rebounds go to positions four and five no matter whos actually playing there.

I went all in and put the slider for rebounding to 0. It makes things a bit better, but a lot of cool rebound animations seem to get lost which I dont like.

About the vertical: increasing it would also make guys like Marc Gasol even better rebounders as they are bad athletes already and will turn better. Decreasing Vertical will make size even more matter. So right now I am really confused what to do.

About free throws and threes: a lot of this really attached to the players and their attributes like "draw fouls", "commit foul", "open three", "moving three".

With the Raptors I also have huge amounts of FT atttempts as DeRozan and Lowry are very good at penetrating which creates havoc amongst defenders and results in a lot of fouls.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby I Hate Mondays on Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:25 am

You can always have a little chat with Shady who's active this time of the month. You too could talk about what he did to his rebound numbers. I remember the rebounds were very realistic with his set. Maybe he can give you a tip or two about what to change in order to make the rebound system better.
I Hate Mondays

Postby I Hate Mondays on Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:59 am

Started up a new game, Hawks vs Bulls.

Guess who's going for carrer highs in rebounding this night. Yup!!! The centers.

I will give up on playing this game for fun and I will test if the rebounding issue is position related. I will switch the PG spot with the Center, the Power Forward with the Shooting guard, the Small forward will stay put. Will come back with the results

Edit: Definitely not position related. After I've made the position switches (only for my team), the same big guys (Howard and Millsap) were rebounding the ball. I swear that even though they were near the 3PT line defending Grant and Wade, the loose ball would go towards them to allow them to make the rebound. Could it be stat related? That was 50% of the times, because the other 48% the CPU would grab an offensive rebound over my little guys. The other 2% I've managed to grab a rebound or two with my PG and my SG playing the Center and PF positions.

Final edit and most important: Hov, I think I've found a solution to the rebounding problem after some research on operation sports and reddit. Here are some photos from the halftime.
Before I post the following photos and before you freak out, keep in mind that I wanted to test the rebound system so I played an awful 6-second offense, taking bad shots to miss on purpose. You don't get to see rebounds without missed shots lol. And when you play a fast paced game, the CPU does the same stuff.
I thought I had a screenshot of the team comparison stats, but it seems I've forgotten to print screen those before I quit the game. Basically, each team had 50-60 attempts from the field already on a bad 28%(me) and 35%(cpu) field goal percentage. Most teams have anywhere between 70-90 attempts at the end of the game. What it matters here is the distribution of rebounds between teammates:

As you can see, the Bulls rebounds look like the players had a chat before the game and decided to evenly distribute the stats between them. That was again the CPU.
The hawks didn't do that bad either. The Millsap-Howard Combo average 21 rebounds/game, so they usually get half of the boards/game. Seeing other players get at least one rebound besides them is very, very good for the moment. Schroder getting 0 rebounds was a little upsetting, but to be honest he averages just under 3 rebounds/ game and I was manually controlling him most of the times. I am sure he'd get 2-3 rebounds during some normal games if he gets controlled by the AI a little bit. Actually, I bet my nuts on the fact that if the CPU was to control the Hawks, the rebound numbers would be prettier. I played bad defense because I was in a hurry to test shots.

What I've changed: Vertical to 47, Defensive Rebound to 50, Offensive Rebound to 30.

I've changed the vertical because I had found the 2k16 thread I've been looking for on operation sports, I know I've read something about the vertical category somewhere. The differences between 2k17 and 2k16 are not that big, if they exist at all, so I've figured that some of the cool stuff found by some of the community players are still legit for this year's game. To sum it up for you, someone stated that lowering the vertical to a very low value makes the rebound more .."on-court position" related. What I am trying to say is that the length and the rebounding overalls don't matter that much and the player closer to the ball gets the rebound. Unluckily, lowering the vertical too much takes away from the experience because you can easily see the differences in players' movements. This category shouldn't be lowered less than 43-45. Some guys even go with 49 just for the sake of it. I went with 47 randomly

Why I've changed the rebounds to those values and gave a bigger gap between them? I have no ideea why, it just worked. Looking at some sliders sets from 2k16 and 2k17 with which I got great, realistic rebound numbers even though they had their other faults in other categories, I've noticed that the rebound gap is anywhere between 15 and 35. I gave it a try and hell..it worked.
Another bad thing I've noticed is gone now too. With the difference between the Def and Off rebounds at 5, I would often see the small players boxing out their matchup AT THE FREAKING 3PT LINE instead of going for the rebound. Now I can see the small players doing exactly the opposite, finally.
I know that you probably think that because of this big gap between the two rebounding values, the offensive rebounds should be shit. Surprisingly, they were better than before when you had the rebound differential at 5. Again, sorry for not having the print screen, but you will have to trust me that I had 15 offensive rebounds out of 36, while the Bulls had 19 out of 40 something.

So it's past 3 am here and I can't get a real, slow-paced game going on, but I am sure the numbers would be even prettier if I played a game how it is supposed to, no 6-second offense.
The numbers I've changed were random, just to try the stuff I've discovered. Hova, now that you know what direction you should go towards to, you should be able to tweak the sliders accordingly.
Just remember not to lower the vertical less than 43, and give a big gap between the defensive and offensive rebounds, anywhere around 15 and 35. IMHO, you should keep the Defensive rebound at 50(most animations trigger at D Rebound set to 50). It's the offensive rebounds you should tweak accordingly, while mantaining the Def Reb at 50.

After the whole rebound thing is done, I think the reach-in foul frequency needs a tweaking. We'll talk about what I've noticed whenever you are done with the rebounds tweaking. I don't think it's a good idea to get multiple things going, lol Just let me know (Y)
I Hate Mondays

Postby nextnba on Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:18 pm

Speed being broken is a bitch!!!!
nextnba

Postby hova- on Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:33 pm

I Hate Mondays, heads up for your research. Will try it out. I noticed that most other sets have a good gap between off and def rebounds.

About the reaching, I think it's enough to decrease the on-ball steal tendency slider. I want a lot of reaching fouls, otherwise slamming the steal button is overpowered. But the CPU reaches too much.

//edit: I can confirm that rebounding to 50/25 is a good idea. I also decreased the on ball steal tendency for both CPU and user to 30.

//edit2: definitely confirmed. Played vs the Nets and Brook Lopez only had 3 boards in the first half although he was easily the tallest guy on the court.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby I Hate Mondays on Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:11 pm

hova- wrote:I Hate Mondays, heads up for your research. Will try it out. I noticed that most other sets have a good gap between off and def rebounds.

About the reaching, I think it's enough to decrease the on-ball steal tendency slider. I want a lot of reaching fouls, otherwise slamming the steal button is overpowered. But the CPU reaches too much.

//edit: I can confirm that rebounding to 50/25 is a good idea. I also decreased the on ball steal tendency for both CPU and user to 30.

//edit2: definitely confirmed. Played vs the Nets and Brook Lopez only had 3 boards in the first half although he was easily the tallest guy on the court.

So should I update the sliders with 50/25 rebounds and 30 for on ball steal tendency? I assume the vertical remains at 50
I Hate Mondays

Postby hova- on Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:16 pm

I Hate Mondays, vert 47 is a good idea, I just adopted that. Updated first post.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby mp3 on Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:57 pm

I really wish 2k would address cpu teammate A.I and put a stop to some of the stupid plays where you have an off ball defender guarding nobody.
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

PreviousNext

Return to NBA 2K17