Worth a Buy?

Talk about NBA 2K17 here.

Worth a Buy?

Postby bigh0rt on Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:34 am

If I wanted this game for great gameplay and accuracy in terms of 2016-17 only, is 2K17 worth buying at this point? Is there a real awesome current year roster out there that people use? Are the mods for PC worth going that route over PS4? I've kicked around the idea since November of buying but have yet to pull the trigger. Consequently, DFS has me more into the current year NBA than I have been in probably a decade, so I've considered buying and really playing the hell out of current rosters -- something I haven't done with an NBA video game again, in probably ten years. Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Re: Worth a Buy?

Postby TBM on Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:47 am

Yes, the game is worth it. Yes, the mods are worth it too IMO, but that depends on what you care about.

Also, I happen to know that there's a mod that isn't publicly announced yet that you'll probably be into.
TBM
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bigh0rt on Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:55 am

Is there a generally accepted good set of sliders? A great current year roster? This year I'm such a 180 from my general self -- I've watched next to no college basketball and can't get into it at all, but I find myself watching the highlighted game on NBA TV several nights a week, and am really enjoying it.

I haven't paid a ton of attention, but it seems like, at the very least, installing mods seems easy enough (dropping into a modded folder, from what it looks like) -- though I imagine there's a program I've gotta run first or something.

I'll deliberate a little more and think I'll end up buying it soon. It's only like $40 now I think anyway. Thanks. (Y)
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby I Hate Mondays on Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:02 am

That's what I do, exhibition games with realistic rosters & sliders. There is a section called "NBA Today". I usually play a random game from today's games, then I compare the results with real life the second day.
I really like the experience. Besides some stuttering problems found on PC, I really can't find anything against this game. And since I am a simulation freak, every little mod here is worth my while. If a certain player suddenly rocks a beard over night, I am more than sure I can find a mod with it here or on the chinese forum. Better courts with local and national versions, new scoreboards, body edits, you name it, we/they have it. I really recommend to anyone to try the PC version of the game + community mods while the game is still moddable. FIFA had one of the biggest community of modders right after the Elder Scrolls games but this year the game has become unmoddable, as no one can find a way to import changes back into the game. That's a shame. I am afraid the NBA series will have the same fate one day, so try the experience while it lasts.
Also, when I really have nothing else to play and time is on my side, I really enjoy trying the retro mods. They are very well developed and you'll notice old modders usually take the path of retro modding, full-time or part-time.
It's a bit strange for me. I really was an online/RPG type of player, but I haven't touched myCareer, myPark, Pro-AM etc since I got 2K17 on PC. Ofcourse I would fire up myTeam from time to time just for the sake of opening packs and finishing domination mode, or during holidays I would start a new myLeague mode with some random team, but to tell you the truth, the level of realism these mods provide won't let me skip a day without playing a simulation game with full 12 min quarters, realistic sliders and so on. I love it when it looks almost exactly like in real life/TV broadcast.
I Hate Mondays

Postby I Hate Mondays on Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:06 am

bigh0rt wrote:Is there a generally accepted good set of sliders? A great current year roster? This year I'm such a 180 from my general self -- I've watched next to no college basketball and can't get into it at all, but I find myself watching the highlighted game on NBA TV several nights a week, and am really enjoying it.

I haven't paid a ton of attention, but it seems like, at the very least, installing mods seems easy enough (dropping into a modded folder, from what it looks like) -- though I imagine there's a program I've gotta run first or something.

I'll deliberate a little more and think I'll end up buying it soon. It's only like $40 now I think anyway. Thanks. (Y)

Shady's sliders are golden IMO. They are still good even though he hasn't updated them since November or something. But I reckon he'll be back with some after the patch updates and the sliders will be even better.
I Hate Mondays

Postby hova- on Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:51 pm

The defensive rotations and the defensive movement is pretty broken, but I figured out that one of the main problems are 2ks ridiculous bad rosters. Tendencies and ratings are way off. With a good roster and good sliders (i am working on a decent slider set that I maybe post somewhere here soon) its a decent game imho.

The presentation, graphics are top notch. Worth a buy.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby CT4 on Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:38 am

Online is quite bad, inconsistent I would say. It runs very smooth or very laggy. Defense has made me rage alot....like alot. Otherwise it's been a great game for me. Myself I am simulation & customization guy. Haven't had this much fun customizing ever. Knowing youI think you will like it. I got it for 30 euros on release day (great bargain) so I suggest to dig through net for great deal.
Celtics and Kristaps Porzingis fan from Latvia.
Not much else to know really.
CT4

Postby Uncle Drew on Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:03 am

It's definitely worth it. Gameplay is the best in the series IMO. Once they figure out a way to fix the defense and defensive rotations, and the foul shot disparities where one team goes to the line 30 times more than the other ( haven't found any sliders to correct this) it'll be the best basketball sim ever.
Uncle Drew

Postby bigh0rt on Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:46 am

Finally bit the bullet and bought it. Downloading now...
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Rodzilla91 on Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:15 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Finally bit the bullet and bought it. Downloading now...

(Y)

never liked online modes on 2k, the input lag always bothered me. id be so used to like "real time" input offline and youd have no issue guarding your man or doing a crossover, but sometimes online its just kind of crippling. love the game though even if 2k has always had its fair share of issues
Rodzilla91

Postby bigh0rt on Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:11 pm

I never play Online. Basically an offline HUM vs CPU guy. That being said, my controller crapped out so i ordered a new one on Amazon today so it'll be a few more days before I play. Also, when i first booted yhe game my computer locked out and I got a CTD. Not a geeat sign on the first bootup ever... anyone else experience this? I didn't even tey and boot up again. I'll take another look tomorrow. All I installed was the Plugin that lets you dump lods in the Modded folder...
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby bigh0rt on Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:38 am

Ok, got everything up and running but am experiencing a bug where I have no audio. Generally a reboot will solve it, but if I exit the game and restart it, no audio. Anyone else experience this, and have suggestions?
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby bigh0rt on Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:18 pm

Ok addrrssed the no sound issue and fixed it. But when I Exit the game my PC goes completely black on the screen and I have to force restart by pushing the power button. I imagine this is on ky ejd more than a widespread issue but any suggestions?
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby I Hate Mondays on Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:38 am

Happened to me once or twice, but while I was alt+tabbing between NBA 2K17 and some website, after my PC had been up for more than 12 hours. Could be hardware-related. What are your specs?
I Hate Mondays

Postby Mgomrjsurf on Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:24 pm

Iv'e seen on a Reddit post somebody said still works on Intel HD Graphics 4400 Card but I have an Intel HD Graphics Card and want to know if it still work because have last year's version and it does.
Mgomrjsurf

Postby Jackal on Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:58 am

Picking up a copy and PS4 tomorrow too.

What settings/sliders are you using at the moment BigHort?
Jackal

Postby bigh0rt on Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:10 am

I'm using Shady's, but I want to try I Hate Monday's tweaks.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby I Hate Mondays on Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:35 am

bigh0rt wrote:I'm using Shady's, but I want to try I Hate Monday's tweaks.

That's pretty much two values changed, the Offensive and Defensive Rebound lol. Big difference though for the pace of the game. With shady's latest values, only the big man would rebound and the flow of the game would take a hit. Now that the PGs can rebound, you can actually run on beautiful fast breaks
I Hate Mondays

Postby bigh0rt on Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:37 am

I Hate Mondays wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:I'm using Shady's, but I want to try I Hate Monday's tweaks.

That's pretty much two values changed, the Offensive and Defensive Rebound lol. Big difference though for the pace of the game. With shady's latest values, only the big man would rebound and the flow of the game would take a hit. Now that the PGs can rebound, you can actually run on beautiful fast breaks
My issue with (again my very limited playing of) the game is that the CPU basically only runs fast breaks. Every single miss they shoot in the first 10 seconds of the shot clock. Even slower paced teams like Dallas, Utah, Memphis. They play like they're Houston and Golden State, which is unfortunate. For a long time there was the complaint that superstar players didn't play like superstar players (the PG dominated years), and now I'd like to see actual disparity between styles of play among teams and their clock usage. It should feel different, and the score and other stats should appropriately reflect different teams with different styles that play at vastly different paces.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby I Hate Mondays on Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:40 am

That's because the default 2k roster has the same playing style for all 30 teams. Try Dest's roster, he tweaked playing styles and tendencies.
I Hate Mondays

Return to NBA 2K17