Contested Shots

Talk about NBA 2K17 here.

Contested Shots

Postby atlwarrior on Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:25 am

Last post of 2016...

Is it just me or are the only three to hit contested shots are Kyrie, Curry and KD? I understand 2k wants to make it hard to make contested shots but come on. This is the reason why majority of the superstars cannot crack a 30 point game unless they are those three guys.
atlwarrior

Re: Contested Shots

Postby Andrew on Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:23 pm

There have been some tuning updates pushed through that have affected the success rate of both contested shots and open shots. Contested shots should now be more difficult while open shots should go in at a higher clip, which is how it should be. However, it feels like contested shots have been nerfed too severely.

I think the problem might have more to do with the way that the game recognises a shot as being contested in the first place. It feels like defenders can get there really late and still have a much greater effect on the shot than they really should, and weak/half-hearted contests often seem to have the same effect as being right up in a shooter's face. I'd say there's also too many airballs and automatic fadeaways on contested shots, especially since those tuning updates went live.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby hova- on Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:31 am

You can tweak this with sliders though. It's the gather / release defense sliders. I am working on a slider set right now. Maybe I post it here someday.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:31 am

hova- wrote:You can tweak this with sliders though. It's the gather / release defense sliders. I am working on a slider set right now. Maybe I post it here someday.

Can you explain how this works? I agree that the contested shots percentages is very unrealistic now. With the gather/release adjusted, would that mean your offensive player will go straight up and down more (like a regular shot) as opposed to fading away when someone is in his space? Or will it just improve the effectiveness of the contested shots?
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby hova- on Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:18 am

Afaik it just means how much it affects you when you a) go up and gather for the shot or b) release the ball.

This means the lower the number the lower the effect of the defense, the higher the likelihood of the shot going in.

I like the sliders for gather being a bit higher since a good contest is coming early and really disturbs the players rhythm IRL.

For release I think the D should not be too effective as there are so many players who can easily hit threes over a late rotation contest nowadays (just watch Rockets games, they hit a lot of those late contested threes).
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby Andrew on Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:34 am

hova- wrote:You can tweak this with sliders though.

Not in modes like MyCAREER and 2K Pro-Am. We're at the mercy of tuning fixes there.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Uncle Drew on Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:05 pm

Andrew wrote:There have been some tuning updates pushed through that have affected the success rate of both contested shots and open shots. Contested shots should now be more difficult while open shots should go in at a higher clip, which is how it should be. However, it feels like contested shots have been nerfed too severely.

I think the problem might have more to do with the way that the game recognises a shot as being contested in the first place. It feels like defenders can get there really late and still have a much greater effect on the shot than they really should, and weak/half-hearted contests often seem to have the same effect as being right up in a shooter's face. I'd say there's also too many airballs and automatic fadeaways on contested shots, especially since those tuning updates went live.

I agree with most of your observations, but open shots shouldn't be automatic either, regardless if a great shooter or superstar is shooting it or not. It should have a realistic chance of going in, not automatic.
Uncle Drew

Postby Andrew on Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:05 pm

I didn't say they should be, I just said they should go in at a higher clip. The only time I mentioned "automatic" was for unwanted fadeaways on contested shots, which are annoying.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to NBA 2K17