The future of Basketball Gaming on the PC

Talk about NBA 2K17 here.

The future of Basketball Gaming on the PC

Postby Book_Gazette on Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:41 pm

Hey there guys!

We got something to talk about, the future of this community and would could or should be happening in this place. I decided to touch upon this after reading a summary from the week's podcast, talking about a hoax of NBA Live 17 on the PC, definitely a scam and there is a very low chance it is real.

NBA Live 17 is gonna be a solid game, I repeat solid. It is given extra time and care so a Live 14 scenario won't probably happen. With the Nintendo NX coming out along with newer versions of 8th gen consoles, EA will add some spice maybe to it. 2K is enjoying another go, but it won't be for long. Despite 2K and EA have been on battle ground for a short while.

Take a trip down memory lane to 2004, where you have ESPN NFL 2K5 vs. Madden 2005, where 2K did a great presentation that almost KILLED EA in their own footsteps. Unfortunately EA grabbed the rights of the NFL and therefore Madden is the only thing you can find of a decent Gridiron sim.

The PC has been the longest and strongest console on the market, having small and large values, and PC gaming has been delighted for the past 20 years to get nearly a PC game yearly (except 2001). It started off with pixels leading into large and beautiful textures. EA gave the jump twice to the PC, in 1997 and 2000 for the new generation, and everyone was please by this, and EA was doing really well. In 2005 a road bump happened as EA payed a little too much attention and gave a horrible and trash-like sim on the new 7th generation, and gave the PC a good spin, but nothing more than disappointment for the following years. Live 07 and 08 were both really bad, but with the modding community, at least a time to do some work.

After 2007, EA stopped PC basketball gaming. This was due to the low popularity and that PC's have upgradable mods that EA doesn't really want people to do.

Soon 2K followed with an astonishing 8th gen jump that was 3 years late. The popularity was back and this time it was the competitors.

2K10, 11, 12, 13 were delivered without a hitch in gameplay (not gamemodes in 13 though)

In 2013 2K did something similar to EA, paying more attention to the "CHEESE" rather than the whole thing probably for money.

The sim was astonishingly good, but the PC lagged behind since they knew it was a cheap market.

Afterwards they made a cool console-like 15 and 16.

Despite that, PC is hard to get past despite hackers and pirating, and they just didn't really care like EA did after 2005.
Although we get some of these beautiful game play and things like that, the PC doesn't stick out too much as it should be.
We have PC only titles like CSGO or TF2, and more
But there is more to impress the eye....

There needs to be a PC competitor against 2K pretty soon, because if we follow the trend of EA this may happen to 2K too.

With an open gap for quite some time, the PC is great console to get a business running if you use the "simple strategy"
-Keep it low profile
-Easy but challenging
-Appealing
-Long lasting/legacy style
This means lowering specs a lot bit or a lot, as consoles use weaker parts since it is cheaper to mass produce and sell
and since programming can be done easily with them as they don't need to be as high profile on PC due to the OS.
(Minecraft Windows 10 Edition/Live Mobile)
Making fun things that fans would enjoy.
Good advertising and all that goodness
And making updates that are small, so it saves money for both the consumer and developer, Take example CSGO or League of Legends
And that's why Call of Duty is failing with annual releases

Hope you guys make it here.

AS YOU ALL KNOW, WE CAN DO SOMETHING, AND NOTHING LIMITS OUR DREAMS BUT OUR DREAMS ITSELF

Thnx

Peace.....................
Book_Gazette

Re: The future of Basketball Gaming on the PC

Postby Uncle Drew on Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:58 pm

Good write up. PC gaming is the best IMO, however too bad the game developers don't see it that way. Was highly disappointed when Madden discontinued the PC version as well as NBA Live, and the only baseball games on the PC not available anymore either unless you purchase them used on Craigslist or E-Bay, and they are MVP 05 and MLB2K12, which thanks to the MVP Mods community, they are still relevant with updated stadiums, jerseys, CF's and rosters.
Uncle Drew

Postby TGsoGood on Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:33 pm

The best thing to do is show support with your wallet. Don't pirate the game. That is the most effective strategy.
Follow me on PATREON https://www.patreon.com/TGsoGood
Consider donating: http://cash.me/$TheJohnsonFamily or http://paypal.me/4TheGoods
Follow me on twitter @TGsoGood
Check me out on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPydhZ ... PeRSmEVynQ

NBA 2K21 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=267&t=110608
NBA 2K17 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=225&t=102251#p1860681
NBA 2K14 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=153&t=96056
TGsoGood
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:42 pm

TGsoGood wrote:The best thing to do is show support with your wallet. Don't pirate the game. That is the most effective strategy.

This.

People that buy the game on PC legally might be the biggest driving factor of us keeping PC basketball gaming strong. I am impressed with how open overall 2k is about the modding community. I've been paranoid in the past about them shutting people down for certain mods, but it hasn't actually happened I guess.

You put a lot of work into the first post Book, thanks for that.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby fjccommish on Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:11 am

If 2K didn't thumb their noses at PC - no Prelude, for example - more people would buy the PC game.
fjccommish

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:13 am

fjccommish wrote:If 2K didn't thumb their noses at PC - no Prelude, for example - more people would buy the PC game.

I can't agree really.. I mean, last year the PC version had 100% of the same game content, and this year it will as well with the exception of the prelude. I think we should be thankful that they give us a full/complete game on release for the PC.

But I do see where you are coming from.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby jmmontoro on Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:14 am

One word really, Denuvo.
jmmontoro

Postby ColumbusBobby23 on Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:40 am

Dee4Three wrote:
fjccommish wrote:If 2K didn't thumb their noses at PC - no Prelude, for example - more people would buy the PC game.

I can't agree really.. I mean, last year the PC version had 100% of the same game content, and this year it will as well with the exception of the prelude. I think we should be thankful that they give us a full/complete game on release for the PC.

But I do see where you are coming from.

My thoughts exactly.
ColumbusBobby23

Postby benji on Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:53 pm

CS:GO came out on consoles. As did TF2 for that matter.

And if Call of Duty is failing, I wish I could fail like Activision. Black Ops III made half a billion dollars in its first three days. Sure, that's down from a billion dollars that Ghosts made but its nothing to sniff at. Few titles produce like that.

Basketball and soccer are the two largest sports outside the U.S. They're also coincidentally the two that get PC releases for their franchises.

EA's basketball development has been such a clusterfuck on consoles I don't think you can make any judgments about PC from them. 2K seems happy enough with PC, it's getting treated less and less like a step-child and more of an equal. Its sales growth has also been increasing IIRC.
benji

Return to NBA 2K17