Sorry this is a little all over the place. You will see that most of my wishlist revolves around gameplay, because that is what matters the most.
Here is my wishlist (top 20)
1. Better lighting: The arenas for the most part are so dark, when the game is viewed on TV it doesn't look like that (With the Exception of Madison Square Garden and Barclays, but atleast the court itself had the right brightness). I do think that NBA Live 16 got that part right, the courts on Live have good lighting.
2. Better Atmosphere: It feels like the crowd isn't even there until the last couple minutes of the game. During the game, you basically have a silent crowd, and every now and than a High School type cheer (It literally sounds like a high school gymnasium). The great thing about NBA 2k14 was the crowds reactions, the amount of times they reacted, etc. Bring back NBA atmosphere, that is another thing that Live seemed to get better.
3. Less foot planting: Foot planting is realistic, we get it. But when it becomes unrealistic its a problem. So many times a player goes into a move, and there are so many animations it ruins the flow of the move, or it just looks awkward. I feel like NBA 2k14 Next Gen and NBA 2k15 was more realistic in this regard.
4. Bring back the spin move into a dunk from 2k13: Best features in NBA 2k13 is the double tap of the B button to go into a spin dunk/spin shot or spin layup, or double tapping X to use a euro step. It gave the user complete control. Even when the Spin move into a layup/shot worked in NBA 2k16 (Before a patch destroyed it) it still never allowed us to do the spin move into a dunk, it restricted it to layups. Of course only certain few players would be allowed to do the spin into a dunk portion (Like Blake Griffin, Shawn Kemp, young Amare Stoudamire, etc). But you get the point.
5. Fix the spin move issue: When backing in at one of the elbows, if you do a quick spin (Not rotating the joystick, just faking one way while backing in, than going the other way), you get by your guy MOST of the time. It is overpowering, and can easily be completed with most if not all players on HOF difficulty. Nothing with the sliders fixes it, and it’s even easier if you isolate your player. The computer doesn’t seem to have the programmed knowledge on how to combat it. There have been similar problems with 2k games in the past, but this year it seems the most overpowering.
6. Fix the crazy momentum swings: I, like many others, feel like the game is “scripted” sometimes. I am not saying predetermined, it just doesn’t have a natural feel. Momentum swings happen, YES, fact. However, sometimes the teams for whatever reason stop playing defense all together, allowing a bevy of layups/dunks/open shots. This has nothing to do with fatigue, it has nothing to do with the team you are using either, its in the games engine. It is really frustrating to be playing a solid game of basketball, then suddenly your team stops playing defense. We cannot control all 5 guys on the floor, it’s impossible. Defensive rotations are slow, the computer AI on your team and the other team seems to get fooled SO easy, and way over play at certain points. Sometimes, I feel like I have 4 James Hardens on my team at once, because they are just not paying attention. The trail three is a HUGE problem for power forwards and centers, You can hit 20 threes a game at the top of the key with Dirk if you want because hes always open coming up the floor, and no adjustment can fix it unless you are guarding the trail at all times. Someone even made youtube videos of this issue.
7. Get it right sooner: We are almost in June, and we are getting a patch to fix an overpowering first step in the game (not yet released). This has been a decent sized problem for awhile, and it took this many months to fix it? I miss the days of the game being right at launch, it’s not fair to those people spending $60 (Sometimes $80). I understand a patch to fix little things every now and than (maybe in the first couple months), but we are only a few months away from NBA 2k17...
8. Pay better attention to the classic teams: Thank you for adding more classic teams, awesome. However, so little attention was paid to the ratings and tendancies of those players. David Robinson (even in 97-98, a very fast big guy up the floor) had very low speed and quickness, that Spurs team just crawls and is asking to get blown out every game they are used. Wilt Chamberlain, a former Olympic sprinter, is horridly slow (No, he wasn’t his youngest in 70-71, but he could certainly get up and down the floor with the best of them). I am not sure why the 90’s teams are so slow, it was a very athletic/speedy era.
9. Cyberfaces: For a former cover athlete, Allen Iverson sure gets low respect in this department. It literally looks nothing like Allen Iverson, or David Robinson (Which has been being recycled for years), and the Hakeem Olajuwon looks rushed and not much like him. I understand recycling some of the role players cyberfaces from last gen, but lets give the legends more respect. The Michael Jordan you put forth looks cross eyed and the face shape is all wrong. You have so much talent at Visual Concepts, you can do better than that. Bill Russell is way off (The head shape isn't even close).
10. Bring back more signature moves: Dunk packages and dribbling animations/celebrations aside, what happened to the other signature stuff? In NBA 2k13, I went down the middle of the lane with Karl Malone off of a pick n roll with Stockton, and he put his hand behind his head and threw it down like the real Mailman. The announcer even reacted to it. Even in NBA Fastbreak 98, they would have “with a move only he can make” when you did a move with a star player. Olajuwon had one in the post, Grant Hill had a dunk, etc. I think you get a lot of this right, but I feel like a lot of what made NBA 2k13 great (And even fastbreak 98) in this regard was redacted from NBA 2k16. Again, more emphasis on the classic teams. Maybe I am coming off as an old scrooge here, but a lot of us still use these teams a lot.
11. Fix the blocking/body steals: Some of the blocks in this game are awesome, but if I get blocked by a PG with my center one more time I might go Pervis Ellison on somebody. It is SO easy to get blocks in this game with little guys, and a lot of them are “Body blocks”, not even hand blocks. Body steals and body blocks completely kill the flow of the game. And a lot of times they are completely unavoidable.
12. Give MYTEAM mode a two player local option: Myteam mode is strictly one player, so if someone else wants to jump in and play on the same team to try and beat the mode, they cannot. I feel like this mode would get even more use if it was allowed to be played as two players.
13. Add classic courts: This isn’t something that has ever been done in a game, but how cool would this be? We already have classic jerseys, why not classic courts? Like say, I want to use the early 90’s Suns court instead of the current court. It could be an option right on the team select screen!
14. Bring back the great pause screen: Yes, this is a small thing to some, but in past NBA 2k’s when you pause the game, you could see the scoring by quarter. Points for the players on the floor, and the star of the game. Now you pause it and it’s just a menu. It was nice to be able to pause it and see that stuff, and also see how many timeouts your team had.
15. Show stats at the foul line: One of the best things in classic video games was when a player went to the foul line, and his game stats showed. It happens most of the time in real life, it should happen most of the time in the game. This is also a fantastic opportunity to show off next gen graphics of the players in a close up. Users will be more inclined to watch the player through his routine while he gets ready to shoot the free throw.
16. Remove unrealistic collisions: Seeing two players just bounce off of eachother and both hit the floor multiple times a game gets old, it's not realistic at all. Players get bailed out plowing to the hoop (because these are called defensive fouls) with these animations, and players who are suffocated in the post are bailed out with these animations. They happen so frequent.
17. Fix Clipping: Honestly, I have never seen more clippling in my life... Players bodys/hands/faces going through other players. Faces going into the floor even. It happens all game. Going in close up on replays is not pleasant. For next gen graphics, it is shocking that this is a problem.
18. Tweak shooting motions: A little herky jerky since NBA 2k14 next gen, I am not sure what happened. But a lot of the shot animations just look... odd, and feel odd. I call it the Gumby effect. It's not really smooth (With the exception of a few players).
19. Fix or remove protected shot: This is a huge problem in my opinion, any time a player is in front of a shooter (even after the patch) your offsensive player does a crazy fadeaway that has about a 2% chance of going in. And height doesn't matter, this happens when Im using say... Aldridge and Dellavadova comes to guard me. It's not realistic by any means, protected shots can exist but in moderation. And they should have a higher percent chance of going in depending on who is shooting it, and who is playing defense.
20. Classic teams choices: I guess I am confused on some of these choices (Have been for years). The 94-95 knicks instead of the 93-94 Knicks? (The 93-94 Knicks made the finals..), the 97-98 Jazz instead of the 96-97 Jazz? (Malone won MVP in 96-97, they were younger and also made the finals in that year), the 84-85 Sixers (without Barkley mind you) instead of the 82-83 Sixers that won the NBA title with an MVP Moses Malone? Those are just some examples. Other than those fixes, I am guessing a few new classic teams will be added. I'd like to see the 13-14 Spurs (yes recent, but relevant and easy to add because you can fill out the roster with no fakes...), the 94-95 Spurs (David Robinsons MVP season, and you already have Rodman/A. Carr/T. Cummings/Avery Johnson/Vinny Del Negro etc who have already agreed to be in the game, the 94-95 Rockets (Championship team.. with Drexler), the 96-97 Rockets (If Barkley agrees to be in 2K17... crossing my fingers), the 92-93 Suns (Barkley MVP season.. if he agrees to be in the game), the 10-11 Mavericks (Dirks only championship!), the 05-06 Nets (Kidd/Carter/Jefferson... cmon!), the 06-07 or 07-08 Nuggets (Just for pure nostalgia, purely a selfish request because I loved that team), the 66-67 Warriors (Rick Barry is already available in MYteam, I wonder if you could get enough for that roster). Certainly the 08-09 Lakers. I am not expecting that all these could be added/or changed, that would be foolish of me. Just ideas.
Thanks for reading!