Dark Souls III

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Dark Souls III

Postby Cpt(K) on Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:23 am

Prepare to underwhelm . . .

I'm beginning to think I've started each thread about one of FromSoftware's future releases from the memorable franchise that is known as the "Souls Series." Each spiritual successor had a fun and enjoyable run, but I feel I'm losing interest quickly right about now. I may still buy the game itself, but I'm not so sure I can expect much more from what was a fresh experience (for a rpg).

I have enjoyed every title from Demon's Souls to Bloodborne, and have completed everyone one of them (some I have played through multiple times *cough* Demon's souls NG+++++). While I wait for the release of Dark Souls III I'm strangely not feeling a sense of anticipation for the unknown. Actually come to think of it this is probably the only series of video games that I can think of right now, which has enthralled me with the desire to return and purchase the next one.

phpBB [video]

I saw some early footage of the game (I stopped about halfway), and it looked so typical. I mean, perhaps because I've played all of their games I may have seen some striking resemblances. Early footage can be deceiving as it is showing an unfinished product . . . but still. If you've read any of my posts on anything regarding video games I have a thing for animations, and especially diverse/varying animations that should immerse the player into the world they are in. The Souls Series may be suffering from one too many familiar aesthetics in their games, and I would say animations have become too recognizable.

Recurring animations aren't necessarily a bad thing. I was pleased to see the chaos blade (dark souls I) pay homage to the "Magic Sword Makoto" (Demon's Souls - my favorite weapon so much I played again to attain it), but something about seeing dodge rolls and the longsword swings (even the great-sword) left something to be desired. I guess I'm just trying to say I would like the game more if it should be released with a fresh set of everything, but I have an itch that it may not happen.

What are your thoughts? Are any of you interested in the Souls Series? Would you consider buying the next title in the franchises six-year-long run? I imagine newcomers may enjoy, but old grizzled veterans like myself may feel a little withdrawn.

phpBB [video]
Cpt(K)

Re: Dark Souls III

Postby Cpt(K) on Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:11 pm

Well, as many things do-- my opinion has changed over time. I completed Dark Souls III a couple of days ago for the first time (without beginning NG+), and I must say it was still a great experience. I have a couple of gripes with some of the mechanics in the game though. First, I hate the fact they removed the "Power Stance" in favor of the "Focus Point" system. Actually, they could've both complemented each other rather well.

Power Stance basically was:

The ability to dual wield two weapons if you meet or exceed the stat (STR or DEX) requirement, typically only weapons of the same or similar class could be dual wielded. The Power Stance offered the ability to dual wield two weapons, which then gave the player a different and sometimes unique moveset (fresh animations) coupled with varying statistical advantages or disadvantages. This was all the rave in Dark Souls II, at least for me-- I loved it.

Focus Points basically is:
A value (the blue bar) that determines how many times you can effectively perform any given "skill" (Right-trigger press or hold with a weapon equipped) a weapon may have. The skills vary greatly, which I do appreciate, but one drawback-- is the failure to meld Power Stance in, and keeping dual-wielding flexible.

Instead of using any two weapons to unleash a barrage of blows with different animation sets, we now have only certain weapons (twin-weapons) that qualify and possess fluid-dual-wielding animations. Then, to makes things even uglier. They restored the stupid "block-with-left-hand-sword" animation from Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1. This is because the power stance is absent, but most one-handed weapons that are large enough now function as a "shield" again. Those that don't have the option to either parry, or attack-- yet the animations are not fluid to chain attacks well. They are noticeably smoother, but still not nearly as fluid as the power-stance had them.

Has anyone else played, what are your thoughts?
Cpt(K)

Return to Off-Topic