Rocket League is Awesome, if you have PS+ you HAD no excuse, NONE

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Rocket League is Awesome, if you have PS+ you HAD no excuse, NONE

Postby Andrew on Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:18 pm

There you go. I'd say I'm in the minority on this one, but that's fine. I'll stick to what I like, and maybe give it another try every once in a while. It is awesome that they're adding new content like this, and doing so as free updates.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby koberulz on Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:17 pm

Well, I just spent five hours going from a Prospect Elite IV to a Prospect III IV without winning a single game.

Four of those losses were due to my teammate bumping me out of goal during overtime. A further two were due to my teammate deliberately scoring the winning or tying goal for the other team. Probably half of them were the result of being matched with an absolute moron (including the ones already mentioned), with another couple being the inevitable result of my ping hitting, and I am not making this up, 988. All but four or five were by one goal, probably a third of them were overtime.

Prospect Elite IV was the highest I'd ever got, and I was playing well and winning so I was hoping I might finally reach whatever's above Prospect. And I continued to play well today, I just had the worst possible run of luck. Whenever I did get a good teammate and a decent connection, the other team was way better than 99% of what I've played against, ever.
koberulz
Everything I say is false.

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:30 pm

Are all your teammates randoms, or do you ever play with friends? Whenever I play it's with my friend, who's pretty good and prefers playing properly, so I'm always teamed up with at least one other person whose play I'm familiar with, and I know I can depend on. That's probably why my experiences have been 95-99% positive. I have a feeling if I was just getting random teammates all the time, I'd have had many more frustrating sessions.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby koberulz on Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:41 pm

Always randoms. Don't actually know anyone who plays, outside of this thread. I only ever play doubles anyway, so there's only one teammate to worry about, but even so I've never gone five hours without a win before. That simply shouldn't ever happen.

And it wasn't just bad teammates, although there were quite a few, I'd lose overtime games on ridiculously fluky deflections or time would expire with the ball heading into the other team's goal...I had one game against a team that must have just started and not been promoted out of Prospect yet, because they were way above my level. Played my ass off, had it 2-2 with two seconds to go, and they snuck one in. My teammate in that one was alright - probably around my ability level although didn't play as well as I did in that particular game (but neither do I most of the time). Which is particularly frustrating, it's one of the best games I've ever played and I still got beat.

I mean, in different circumstances I'd probably say it was just a shame we lost, they played better, it was a cracking game, but when you're on a losing run like that they all grate so much more than they usually would.
koberulz

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:14 pm

I know what you mean. I ran into some trolls the other night when my friend and I were playing, and I was having a rough performance. Normally I'd roll my eyes and mutter "Ugh, kids" to myself, but with my poor play, it only added to my frustration and dampened my enthusiasm for playing. Fortunately, a couple of better games turned things around and made it a more enjoyable session after that.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby koberulz on Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:27 pm

Which is why I kept playing, I was waiting for the couple of better games. Never happened.
koberulz

Postby koberulz on Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:57 am

Ended up double-dipping and getting the PC version to try out the Rocket League Trainer. Played a bit online as well, and had a much better time than I'd had on the PS4.

Switched back to the PS4 and fuck this shit.

phpBB [video]
koberulz

Postby Andrew on Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:26 am

I got the game on PS4 when it was free, but I ended up buying the PC version and that's what I've been playing. I'm not sure how I'd like it with a controller. There are still times when I mess up with the keyboard and mouse, so that's been enough of a learning curve.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby koberulz on Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:42 pm

Don't you have a controller?

I wouldn't say the skill level is any different between PC and PS4, but the PC community seems a lot nicer. Had zero instances of abuse, ragequitting, or anything else. Having a keyboard means chat is more useful, too.

The above teammate even tried to forfeit when I scored my second goal.
koberulz

Postby Andrew on Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:57 pm

I do have a controller, mainly for the basketball games and other titles that seem to play better with it, but I've always played Rocket League with the keyboard and mouse. Definitely better for chat if nothing else, absolutely.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby koberulz on Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:00 pm

Why are you playing with a keyboard and mouse if you have a controller? The keyboard's still there to type with.
koberulz

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:34 am

Because in this instance, that's what I prefer to use. There's also no need to set down the controller and pick it up again when I want to type.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:36 pm

:shock:

And that doesn't count PS4 or Xbox One hours....
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:43 pm

I've only clocked around 45 myself, but most of them have been pretty fun.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:46 am

Shadowplay folder got too big, so here are my favorite plays from 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XahJbJsAXgM
phpBB [video]

and everything else I couldn't bring myself to delete
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8V6BG88mro
phpBB [video]
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby diamenz on Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:19 pm

sick highlights man you have some great ball control. do you play 2's/3's? what r ur ranks and how many hours u got logged? just curious.
diamenz

Postby JaoSming on Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:24 am

Thanks man!

just spent time taking screenshots in-game.....then remembered https://rocketleaguestats.com is a thing

https://rocketleaguestats.com/profile/s ... 7981851279

Just got over 300 hours on PC. When the game launched on PS+ I played the crap out of it on PS4 for a couple months until I bought it on PC...I also have some hours on Xbox.

Here is my pain.....charted

I normally only play 1s. I have someone from work I play 2s with every once in a while, and I just play standard every once in a while to stay ranked.

Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby diamenz on Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:49 pm

goof stuff jao. i have 120 hrs on my steam account, but played countless hours with a friend of mine on his ps4. i probably have a total of about 400 altogether. neway, add me on steam and we can have some games sometime. i'm right around the high challenger level. u'll prob

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198175404809/

edit: nevermind - found and added ya.
diamenz

Postby JaoSming on Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:20 pm

Well, Reddit is liking this, currently the top of the subreddit and 2,800+

https://www.reddit.com/r/RocketLeague/c ... onds_left/
https://gfycat.com/DefenselessNauticalLabradorretriever
phpBB [video]

This game has stupid longevity for me. Always being no more than 5 minutes away from getting off the computer and being kid friendly is just awesome.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby shadowgrin on Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:05 pm

Your opponent choked harder than a prostitute.

Jack approves of this comment.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby [Q] on Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:57 pm

that first goal in the video was so lucky lol
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby koberulz on Tue May 29, 2018 10:49 pm

For the second straight season, I'm going to finish a couple of wins shy of achieving my first ever Gold...in Silver I.

I've hit Gold a couple of times, got a few wins, but always followed it up with a 2-3 hour losing streak. It makes absolutely no sense. I've spent the past day cramming as many matches as possible to try and knock it off, but I've instead gone from Silver III Division IV to Silver I Division III.

I don't think I've ever played a game with this ability to make me alternately feel absolutely garbage and absolutely great. I stumbled across a YouTube video suggesting drills to work on, downloaded the dribbling workshop #2, and proceeded to suck balls. It suggests 20 minutes, I spent that long just clearing the second level. Figured I'd play a few games, and ended up smashing through all the way to Gold I Division III, my highest mark ever. Strangely, I didn't dribble once, so it's not as though the newly-acquired skill helped (not least of all because I still can't for the life of me dribble, although I've switched from the Gizmo to the Octane and am finding it significantly easier).

And then I watch things like that JaoSming video and realise I still totally suck.
koberulz

Postby koberulz on Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:23 pm

Apparently I'm not allowed to play anymore. Yesterday I was getting errors saying Competitive was disabled during the off-season (despite the fact I'd already completed my S8 placement matches), today I'm being told that "Family Sharing" accounts aren't allowed access and I must own the game to continue (despite the fact I do own the game). It seemed to derank me for a while last night as well, although it appears only temporarily.

I watched kevpert's dribbling tutorial...I don't understand how he gets the ball on his car without boost. I can't get the ball high enough without knocking it too far in front, no matter how fast I go. Am I missing something?

EDIT: Just ranked up from Silver III to Silver III (not a typo) and it's now the off-season again.
koberulz

Postby JaoSming on Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:13 am

Have you ever done family sharing with your account? ....might be worth locking down with the steam app authenticator and stuff.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby koberulz on Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:50 am

I don't even know what family sharing is. Authenticator is on already.

That's only happened the once, it's this stupid "it's the off-season" message that keeps popping up.
koberulz

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic