Fallout 4

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Fallout 4

Postby Kenny on Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:53 am

It's pretty addictive. I thought I was going to have some glaring weaknesses, since I almost maxed out Charisma and Intelligence and only have one point on Endurance, but I haven't found it impossibly hard (don't get me wrong though, I do die a lot).

I also don't have any problem with the graphics; then again, I have only had a PS4 since late July.
Kenny
Thon Maker's Biggest Fan.
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:28 am

How is the gameplay compared to New Vegas? I thought New Vegas was cool, but I didn't understand what to do with those vaults
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:35 am

If you've played 3 and New Vegas, the gameplay will definitely feel familiar. You've still got V.A.T.S., you can switch between first and third person, and so on. It's handy being able to equip thrown weapons alongside guns, so you don't need to re-equip a gun after throwing a grenade. The rads meter and health bar have also been combined, so as your radiation poisoning increases, your maximum health decreases. This means drinking irradiated water or eating food now restores your health, but at the same time won't allow you to max out your health since you're taking on rads as you consume them. Food and Stimpaks also recover health over time like New Vegas, rather than 3, though there's no Hardcore mode that requires you eat, drink, and sleep.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:06 pm

There was a 3rd person mode? I didn't know that. I played New Vegas completely in first person
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:56 pm

Really? Yeah, you can toggle between the two in 3 and New Vegas, same as of 4.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby zzcoolj21 on Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:22 am

phpBB [video]
zzcoolj21
20% on Good release machine, The NLSC's Jr Smith

Postby Andrew on Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:24 am

One hell of a gun. :lol:
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lamrock on Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:16 am

I really really like the ability to create settlements. I think that's going to be what I spend at least half of my playtime doing.
Lamrock

Postby Andrew on Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:25 am

I've dabbled a bit with that so far. It's something I might spend more time with after I've completed the main story, and am waiting for the DLC.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:15 pm

FYI: PC patch coming next week.

Regarding the work addressing those issues, Bethesda writes, "Our process for updating the game will include releasing a beta patch on Steam, followed by full release on PC, then release on the consoles. This process has worked well for us in the past and allows us to get more fixes out faster. Expect to see more updates, that are smaller and more frequent, than a few big ones. This allows us to make sure each fix is working right, as any change can have unintentional side effects in a game this huge." Bethesda closed its letter by saying that the first beta PC patch should be available next week.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Kenny on Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:51 pm

Building settlements is great for when you find yourself a bit stuck in a particular storyline. I also like how collecting junk in the game is actually beneficial. In 3 and New Vegas, it was always tempting to pick up everything at the beginning, so it's cool that they've acknowledged that and kind of tailored the game to people that have that tendency.

Since my style isn't one of stealth, I'm all about melee attacks at the moment. I bought an electrified Chinese sword and I've been having heaps of fun defeating enemies with that, while Piper shoots at them.
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby Cpt(K) on Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:47 am

I've also liked to pick up anything, because I thought it may be useful eventually. Fallout 3 and especially New Vegas did make some use for junk -- the latter had workbenches, which the player could use to create a variety of things. I haven't bought fallout 4 yet, but hearing how that feature may be even better definitely excites me. (Y) Speaking of melee Kenny, are there any stealth-kill animations or are we still poking people in the butt? :lol:
Cpt(K)

Postby Kenny on Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:54 pm

Honestly, I couldn't tell you. My approach is basically to charge head on at the enemies and offset the damage by using a lot of Stimpaks. There's absolutely nothing subtle about the way I play these types of games. It can be a hindrance at times, but I have fun with it.

I admit that I don't know a lot about crafting/modding in 3 and New Vegas, but in 4 it's something that you actually need to do (for the settlements at the bare minimum). Just about all junk can be broken down to its bare elements (vase = ceramic, bottle = glass, etc), which means that just about anything you pick up can be used for something (again, didn't do much crafting in 3 or NV, so I don't know if that was the case for those games as well). You can also highlight what elements you need and it'll show you if particular items have it when you go to pick it up.
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu May 05, 2016 12:53 am

Third DLC out May 19th:

phpBB [video]

Season Pass should take care of that.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:21 pm

Some quality role-playing: http://imgur.com/gallery/cTyNS
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:23 pm

Playing Fallout 4 with mods, I'm currently at level 63. Finished the main story joining the Brotherhood and felt guilty after the massacre at the Institute (I've read there's a "call for evacuation" button near Father inside the Institute, but still). Was given the Sentinel rank, my character is now only second to Elder Maxson. I've read somewhere that Paladin Danse's companion quest originally ends with you challenging Maxson for the Elder title on a fight to the death. They even have recorded lines for it.

Completed Automatron and felt it was just a bigger side quest. Still haven't given time on settlements so the subsequent DLCs for them are not being used I must say I'm pretty underwhelmed with their DLCs, except for...

Far fucking Harbor.

Pretty much enjoying the DLC so far.
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby el badman on Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:27 am

Lean wrote:Still haven't given time on settlements so the subsequent DLCs for them are not being used I must say I'm pretty underwhelmed with their DLCs, except for...

Far fucking Harbor.

Pretty much enjoying the DLC so far.

Haven't played much F4 in the past few weeks, even though I did get Far Harbor as well, just hasn't grabbed my attention as much as it first did.There's been way too many other games worth playing, and mostly I've spent an additional 45 hours on The Witcher 3 Blood & Wine DLC, which basically ruins it for any other game...That DLC alone should be GOTY, absolutely stellar in every possible way, just like the base game.

EDIT: sorry, just noticed this is the F4 thread, not the "Games You're Playing" one... :doh:
Last edited by el badman on Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
El Badmanator VI: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @3.7GHz, Nvidia GTX 3090 24GB; Acer Predator XB273K 4K 27"Monitor; Samsung NVMe EVO 970 1TB / Samsung EVO Pro 500GS SSD; Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite; T-Force RAM DDR4-4000 32GB RAM; EVGA G5 850W PSU; Corsair iCUE H100i CPU Liquid Cooler; Razer DeathAdder Chroma wireless gaming mouse; HyperX Cloud Flight S wireless headset; Logitech G560 speakers; Razer Black Widow v3 mechanical keyboard; PS5 Dualsense controller; Rosewill Cullinan V500 gaming case; Windows 10 Pro 64bit
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby Andrew on Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:26 am

As much as I was looking forward to Fallout 4, I must admit I haven't played it as much as I thought I would. I don't think it's a terrible game or anything, but something about it hasn't gripped me like 3 and New Vegas did. I'm going to give it another try soon, however.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:05 am

Just played Far Harbor just a few minutes ago, and I've been in a swamp location with mirelurks all-around. There were houses elevated from the water's surface, and you'll see four dead guys named Bray, Luke, Rowan, and Braun. Bray calls themselves the "Husky Family" according to a holotape he recorded. So Bray's name is Bray Husky. Awesome. Though I wish Bethesda went way overboard and made the NPCs look like the Wyatts.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lamrock on Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:17 am

Andrew wrote:As much as I was looking forward to Fallout 4, I must admit I haven't played it as much as I thought I would. I don't think it's a terrible game or anything, but something about it hasn't gripped me like 3 and New Vegas did. I'm going to give it another try soon, however.

I really hope that Obsidian gets to make another Fallout game. Fallout 3 got away with being shallow because it was awesome - I had fun with Fallout 4 but they made hardly any improvements. New Vegas hasn't aged well (it was dated when it came out) but is my favorite game in the series because it combined player choice and replay value with the 3D open world of F3.
Lamrock

Postby Andrew on Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:57 am

I don't know, I still find Fallout 3 and New Vegas to be a lot of fun and enjoyable, even if they aren't cutting edge visually. They've both aged pretty well for me, in terms of the experience still being enjoyable to revisit at least.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:58 pm

What I don't like about Fallout 4 is that it's seemingly settlement-centered. All of the DLCs from Fallout 3 were expansions, and we get only Far Harbor and Nuka-World for Fallout 4 (Automatron feels more like a longer side-quest). They kinda focused more on building.

So I wish they lend their Fallout 4 engine to Obsidian and let them do a spinoff. I heard New Vegas' lent a lot of its story elements from the original Fallout 3 that never came out.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby el badman on Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:27 am

I wasn't really enjoying Far Harbor so I forced myself to finish it and was getting ready to just uninstall at that point, but Nuka World turns out to be a pretty fun DLC so far. Much better art direction at least, I'm sure the quests will once again be far from competing Witcher 3-quality stories, but at least it's visually much more appealing. Reminds me a lot of New Vegas actually, which I didn't necessarily enjoy more than F3 or F4, but which is a nice visual touch for me.
El Badmanator VI: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @3.7GHz, Nvidia GTX 3090 24GB; Acer Predator XB273K 4K 27"Monitor; Samsung NVMe EVO 970 1TB / Samsung EVO Pro 500GS SSD; Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite; T-Force RAM DDR4-4000 32GB RAM; EVGA G5 850W PSU; Corsair iCUE H100i CPU Liquid Cooler; Razer DeathAdder Chroma wireless gaming mouse; HyperX Cloud Flight S wireless headset; Logitech G560 speakers; Razer Black Widow v3 mechanical keyboard; PS5 Dualsense controller; Rosewill Cullinan V500 gaming case; Windows 10 Pro 64bit
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby Lean on Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:48 pm

So far, I think Far Harbor has the better story than Nuka-World. That said I agree that the bright colors do remind me of the older Fallout games where the world doesn't look like it's completely devastated.

Okay, for Nuka-World I gave the Operators all of the other parks, but since they are Raiders anyway and my character is with the Brotherhood of Steel, I'll end up murdering them all anyway, freeing the enslaved traders in the process.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby bowdown on Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:22 pm

Funny thing is while people are busy complaining about how F4 is less of a RPG and more of a shooter, this is exactly how I wish to play my Fallout games. I play open world RPGs mostly to explore the environment, kill enemies and upgrade my inventory items as I check off my quest log. I haven't even started building up my settlements and it is something I am looking forward to.
bowdown

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic