Dark Souls

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Dark Souls

Postby Cpt(K) on Tue May 22, 2012 2:04 am

Hello, I just thought I would create a thread for this game. I used search and didn't find one.

Well, I'm level 70 now and am currently in the Crystal Cave. Which to no surprise has become difficult. From Giant Crystal Golems, to invisible floors. It has made my experience with this game very frustrating. I mean, I am still 'human' and haven't died. (I have died before)

But, I really don't want to die again and I have used my rare ring of sacrifice already, which was when you fight Seath The Scaleless for the first time. I read on the wiki that you're supposed to lose that fight, so I equipped that ring so I wouldn't lose anything.

Well I guess you could say that I'm asking if anyone here plays this game, and if you do you could add me on PSN.(Sorry I don't have an xbox yet) I recommend this game, because as challenging and punishing as it is, it has great feeling of rewards. :)

PSN:Capt_Keith

My primary Dark Souls build is rather light weight. I like to be able to maneuver quickly, especially out of the way of attacks. :cheeky:

Primary 1:Lighting Spear 4+
Primary 2: FireBow 5+
Secondary 1: Silver Knight Shield
Secondary 2: Sorcerers Catalyst

Because I have spent so much time in this part of the game, I am running extremely low on arrows and bolts. Including my Firebombs, throwing knives, and Homeward Bones.

If you can . . I'd like to trade you can drop some arrows or whatever, and in return I can give you weapons/armor that I don't use. (They are pretty good, some of them I can't wield properly anyway)
Last edited by Cpt(K) on Tue May 22, 2012 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cpt(K)

Re: Dark Souls

Postby deihatein on Tue May 22, 2012 2:19 am

This will be released for the PC so :dance:
shadowgrin wrote:Quick question: who is better in basketball, a black dude or a pinoy dude. If you thought or considered for a moment that it's the black dude then you're also a little bit racist.

End of any racist discussion.

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

Postby Cpt(K) on Tue May 22, 2012 2:25 am

dei. wrote:This will be released for the PC so :dance:

So I heard, but my PC wouldn't be nearly strong enough. So I'll probably play it on the console. :wink:
Cpt(K)

Postby Cpt(K) on Thu May 24, 2012 2:25 am

Well I am now level 82 after some major cramming through the demon ruins, I'd done a lot over the past hours. I've gotten as far as Lost Izalith, and are about to destroy the bed of chaos.

As soon as I find a summon sign so I don't do it alone . .

Prior to getting to Lost Izalith, I was in the demon ruins. Which I was constantly being invaded by laggy backstabby Black Phantoms. However, I eventually got across, went in and killed the firesage demon, then the centipede demon. Which due to a glitch, not that I exploited it or anything though.

You see I had ran through some of the lava past some rocks/dead trees. And it became stuck in its walking animation. So I had brought 400 standard Arrows with me thankfully. I didn't have to engage it in a melee though, so in NG+ I guess this is one boss I shouldn't worry about.

I am in Lost Izalith and my current status is . .

Level 82
Right Hand 1:Silver Knight Sword +5
Right hand 2:Black bow of Pharis +7
Left Hand 1:Crest Shield +5
Left Hand 2:Talisman (I use it for homeward, heal, and emit force)
Cpt(K)

Postby Cpt(K) on Thu May 24, 2012 11:00 pm

Forget the summon sign, it was hard enough trekking over to the boss without being invaded constantly by black phantoms. So I went on a suicide run, died and went to fight as an undead against the bed of chaos.

The Ground leading up to the heart broke apart. And I found my self falling to my doom, I lost 85k souls because I hadn't touched my bloodstain yet. I eventually returned after farming the lower-halves of the undead dragons. (2000 souls each in NG) Then when I replenished my arrows and repaired my weapons. I returned, I managed to get to the heart and destroy it. I then realized how simple this boss is.

Similar to that of the Dragon God in Demon's Souls, you don't fight it directly at all. Head for the 2 yellow roots, slice them. Then head to the heart and slice it.(The heart takes more than one swing if your not strong enough, it also can attack you as it is a parasite)

So I'm level 89 now, I have invested Greatly in my STR and my DEX attributes. I am on my way to the tomb of giants, where I shall fight Gravelord Nito.(He's the one I left last)

My current Build is as follows

Right Hand 1:Silver Knight Straight Sword
Right Hand 2:Black Bow of Pharis +11
Left Hand 1: Grass Crest shield +5
Left Hand 2: talisman

My armor set is custom, I use different pieces from different armors.
Cpt(K)

Postby shadowgrin on Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:27 pm

http://store.steampowered.com/app/211420/
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby deihatein on Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:09 pm

shadowgrin wrote:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/211420/

:dance: :headbang:
shadowgrin wrote:Quick question: who is better in basketball, a black dude or a pinoy dude. If you thought or considered for a moment that it's the black dude then you're also a little bit racist.

End of any racist discussion.

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

Postby Lamrock on Wed May 30, 2018 6:58 am

I'm gonna go ahead and bump this six year old topic because the remaster just came out, and it's pretty much the same game.

After years of resisting, I've joined the Soulsborne cult. I made it probably a third of the way through Bloodborne when it first came out, but shelved it because it was just too difficult for me. However, after beating the new God of War, I was craving something somewhat similar and I decided to give it another shot. Oops. There's just something about the game that makes you want to pick it up again, ten minutes after pondering shattering the disc with a sledgehammer. It's honestly one of the best games I've ever played, and I'm glad I finally got over that hump and was able to finish and enjoy it.

So after finishing that, I resisted the urge to go NG+ (for now) and picked up Dark Souls. It's.. a bit of an adjustment. I got to be pretty good at Bloodborne, but Dark Souls is a different beast. Wish I were better at the shield-based combat, but it'll take time. I am optimistic that one day I'll be able to clear the first (non-tutorial) area...
Lamrock

Postby Kenny on Thu May 31, 2018 8:37 am

The biggest adjustment I found was not being able to fast travel. Backtracking is probably the most annoying part of DS1. But yeah, learning to use the shield more often helps a lot. I just don't trust myself with the game's parry mechanic.

But yes, I welcome you to the select bunch of weirdos who actually enjoy this series :)
Dion Waiters thinks you should check out my Sonics 2K17 thread.
Kenny
Thon Maker's Biggest Fan.
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lamrock on Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:14 am

Dark Souls reminds me a lot of the old Resident Evil games, with the interconnected areas, similar save system, emphasis on backtracking, and the possibility of dooming yourself if you aren't careful. It makes sense that most mainstream games are designed to not be frustrating, and indeed those have their place. But Dark Souls is a game that actually gets the blood pumping. It's fun to play sober - in fact its almost necessary to play it sober..

There's a cosmic realism to it as well. It's unforgiving, but fair. The world isn't designed to make the players fail, but the developers aren't benevolent either.

Having said that, the game is a bit dated now, and I've had to use walkthroughs and summons at times, which has cheapened some of my triumphs. Still, a wonderful game and I can't wait to complete the whole series (except Demon's Souls unless they remaster it)
Lamrock

Postby Kenny on Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:34 am

It's definitely a rewarding experience for people who persist with it, but I think that's often one of the biggest barriers - people don't persist with it because it's not fun to constantly die in a video game. I was guilty of it myself. My first Souls experience was DS2: Scholar of the First Sin, and that game isn't a very good entry point. Personally, I think it's the hardest game in the series.
Dion Waiters thinks you should check out my Sonics 2K17 thread.
Kenny
Thon Maker's Biggest Fan.
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lamrock on Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:05 am

The hardest part is always the beginning. These games aren't as difficult at they might lead one to believe, but when you start each game with an underpowered character, and a vague tutorial, it's easy to get discouraged. But outside of some seriously OP bosses, the games get easier the more you play them.

I see some people hating on the re-master, which I find surprising. The graphics and frame rate are considerably better, the AI seems to be improved in spots, and the online is active. Well worth the money in my opinion.
Lamrock

Return to Off-Topic