Dear LiveJournal,

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Dear LiveJournal,

Postby Andrew on Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:32 pm

Lame that you didn't get more notice, but glad to hear that the interview went well. Hoping for good news. (Y)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Oznogrd on Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:45 pm

This isnt worth it's own thread so it's going in here and sorry if i sound like Lamrock.

4 years ago, i had one of my worst performances i've ever had in sports (at the most important time) and what turned out to be one of very few nights i regret in my life in a reaction to the consequences of the bad performance (lost a best friend and respect of a coach over my choices). I can't believe its been 4 years since all that shit went down. I gave up the sport after that due to my shoulder issues.

Am i never gonna get over the fact I failed? That i worked so hard and it ended up for nothing? Its great, kids ive coached and great friends of mine are very successful and deserve every bit of praise they get. And I love them all. So why does it bother me? Why am I avoiding facebook to not see these posts right now? I want to be excited, i want to enjoy the sport as a spectator. Why can't I?

And i know the universe works out as it should. I've got a great career ahead of me(and a second degree) and a wonderful fiancee to show for NOT being successful at the sport. But then it bugs me more. Why do I still want it?

/emorantover
Oznogrd
Gummy bears are stupid and delicious!

Postby shadowgrin on Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:31 pm

You miss the sport. Not watching, not coaching but doing it. You don't even have to do it competitively like you used to but as a hobby maybe?

Or you could come out from retirement like Jordan and regret that you ever did it again. :lol:
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Oznogrd on Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:43 pm

shadowgrin wrote:You miss the sport. Not watching, not coaching but doing it. You don't even have to do it competitively like you used to but as a hobby maybe?

Or you could come out from retirement like Jordan and regret that you ever did it again. :lol:

can't do it as a hobby. My shoulders have turned into Brandon Roy's knees kinda (different condition, same idea. 1 day of comp/practice puts me in pain unable to move for a few days). Dave Grohl and Jack White helped me get out of the mood I was in though.
Oznogrd

Postby el badman on Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:03 am

Yeah, it's normal to miss all of this so much whenever you start thinking about it, especially if things didn't end up the way you wanted. If you have at least some good stuff ahead of you these days, there's really nothing else that matters. You're always gonna have some regrets associated to that particular time in your life, but the only thing to do is to move onwards, which should be eased by the fact that you have other (more important?) things going well for you.

I haven't been able to play basketball in a serious manner for about 10 years now, due to getting a herniated disc, and it was the biggest thing I had going on for me. That's why I've been getting a little more detached from this sport during those years, it's hard to stay completely focused on something you love if you can't even practice it yourself. So you find that there's ultimately nothing wrong with redirecting your passion towards something/someone else, even if it doesn't feel fully satisfying at times.

Also:
El Badmanator VI: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @3.7GHz, Nvidia GTX 3090 24GB; Acer Predator XB273K 4K 27"Monitor; Samsung NVMe EVO 970 1TB / Samsung EVO Pro 500GS SSD; Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite; T-Force RAM DDR4-4000 32GB RAM; EVGA G5 850W PSU; Corsair iCUE H100i CPU Liquid Cooler; Razer DeathAdder Chroma wireless gaming mouse; HyperX Cloud Flight S wireless headset; Logitech G560 speakers; Razer Black Widow v3 mechanical keyboard; PS5 Dualsense controller; Rosewill Cullinan V500 gaming case; Windows 10 Pro 64bit
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby benji on Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:52 am

Because you can't just run away, you think if you could do it again knowing what happens you could get a leg up and stand tall. That if only you just took a break to stretch your legs and walk around the block to think things through clearly you would have figured how to plant your feet in the right course. And everything else would have still worked out and you'd have it all leaving you jumping for joy because now you knew how to stand on your own two feet.
benji

Postby Oznogrd on Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:16 am

benji wrote:Because you can't just run away, you think if you could do it again knowing what happens you could get a leg up and stand tall. That if only you just took a break to stretch your legs and walk around the block to think things through clearly you would have figured how to plant your feet in the right course. And everything else would have still worked out and you'd have it all leaving you jumping for joy because now you knew how to stand on your own two feet.

:lol: thanks guys. Glad this isnt that uncommon.
Oznogrd

Postby Andrew on Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:57 am

I think it's only natural to wonder "What if?", to look back and wish that we handled this or that better and wonder how things could have turned out differently. As for having difficulty enjoying the sport as a spectator, it doesn't sound like you're particularly bitter over the whole thing, probably wistful at most and that's certainly understandable. It's only been four years and it must have been a huge disappointment after making such a large investment of your time, energy, effort and emotion. When stuff like that happens, we can't just snap our fingers and get over it.

On the bright side, you're obviously aware of the good things that you do have and enjoying the other opportunities that have opened up to you. Maybe you just need a bit more time to put that part of your life behind you, to a point where you can distance yourself from the sport a bit more and enjoy just being a spectator. The old saying of "time heals all wounds" is terrible cliche and generic, but for things like this I believe it definitely helps.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Oznogrd on Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:01 pm

Welp its over for another 4 years. The team is set. Lots of awesome people (and of course not so awesome) getting to rep the old USA in London.

As upset as I was, i think im actually getting better through this little tortuous weekend. Saw the list tonight and didnt feel the same stabbing pain i felt the other night. Thats probably a good sign
Oznogrd

Postby Lean on Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:50 am

My most recent work featured on a hobby site. :oops:
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby deihatein on Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:51 pm

Lean wrote:My most recent work featured on a hobby site. :oops:

Awesome. Also you have 6169 post when you posted that. So I guess that means free access to that private forum you have :cheeky:
shadowgrin wrote:Quick question: who is better in basketball, a black dude or a pinoy dude. If you thought or considered for a moment that it's the black dude then you're also a little bit racist.

End of any racist discussion.

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

Postby Lean on Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:58 am

Not anymore because now it's 6170. :P
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:02 am

Looks like we hit a new record over the weekend.

Most users ever online was 752 on Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:31 am
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:23 am

wow, any idea where the traffic came from?
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:25 am

V20 of the Ultimate Base Roster went up that day, so I'd say the milestone comes courtesy of HAWK23. (Y)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Houndy on Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:54 am

Almost got hit by a car. Was biking on a walk sign and the car turned, literally brushed aside my bike, honked the shit out of the horn, then cussed me out. Holy fuck
Houndy
Whoa, the Mavs are ballin'

Postby rise on Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:35 am

Houndy wrote:Almost got hit by a car. Was biking on a walk sign and the car turned, literally brushed aside my bike, honked the shit out of the horn, then cussed me out. Holy fuck
Wow, what an inconsiderate dick. The dude almost ran you over and then decides to be a dick about it?
rise
But here, at the top of the world, where I raise my hands and I clench my fists...
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:51 am

Doesn't surprise me, sadly. No matter where you go in the world, there seems to be a lot of drivers who shouldn't be allowed to get behind the wheel. Glad to hear you're OK.

I was almost collected in the middle of a pedestrian crossing while out on a run the other day by someone who had to be going at least 20 over the limit. Fortunately I was paying attention and could see that there was no way he was going to stop like he was supposed to.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Patr1ck on Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:52 pm

Houndy wrote:Almost got hit by a car. Was biking on a walk sign and the car turned, literally brushed aside my bike, honked the shit out of the horn, then cussed me out. Holy fuck

As a biker you need to consider it a vehicle and drive it accordingly. You shouldn't be riding on a pedestrian sidewalk if you can avoid it. The driver was still at fault. You have to look out for those drunken, gun-wielding, foul-mouthed Texan drivers.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby deihatein on Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:59 pm

Andrew wrote:Doesn't surprise me, sadly. No matter where you go in the world, there seems to be a lot of drivers who shouldn't be allowed to get behind the wheel. Glad to hear you're OK.

I was almost collected in the middle of a pedestrian crossing while out on a run the other day by someone who had to be going at least 20 over the limit. Fortunately I was paying attention and could see that there was no way he was going to stop like he was supposed to.

I'm sure it's a lot worse from where I'm at. It's basically a free-for-all where every driver especially the ones that drives the jeepney(country's most favorite transportation) even when they are at fault get mad at an officer just trying to do his job.
shadowgrin wrote:Quick question: who is better in basketball, a black dude or a pinoy dude. If you thought or considered for a moment that it's the black dude then you're also a little bit racist.

End of any racist discussion.

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

Postby Stress Fracture on Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:38 pm

It's more fun here in our country. :lol:
benji wrote:LeBron is such a choker. And people were talking about him as an all-time great. As having possibly surpassed Kobe. What a joke.

velvet bliss wrote:Andrew, you the real MVP.

Andrew wrote:He who flops and flails to the Finals and a title, flops and flails best.
Stress Fracture

Postby Phil89 on Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:31 pm

Damn earth tremor just shook the house for 5 seconds. It was only a month ago that we had a 5.4 earthquake. There's been a couple in the last few years, which is weird because I always assumed that we didn't have to worry about them here.
My Stories
LIVE 10 - Thunder I, Thunder II
2K13 - Wizards / 2K15 - Sixers / 2K16 - Sixers / 2K17 - Suns / 2K19 - Thunder
Phil89

Postby Kenny on Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:53 am

The place I did my apprenticeship at has been in the news a fair bit lately:

link

A spokesman for Dr Flegg said while 40 GoPrint staff would go, about 10 to 15 would retain their jobs for the continuing government printing work.

It's pretty crazy because ever since I started the apprenticeship, there were always rumours that the place was shutting down and with those cut backs, it's getting closer to being a reality. I'm actually glad I wasn't kept on there. I got a lot of notice that I wasn't going to be working there anymore and I would have felt pretty bad losing my job at that point (I would have been cut, no question).
Kenny
Thon Maker's Biggest Fan.
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:53 am

Yeah, sounds like you wouldn't have had much of a career there.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby The X on Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:33 pm

badreligionau, so you were previously printing Government propaganda for Bligh & her cronies (or any politician for that matter)? :shake:
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic