Generic TV Thread

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Generic TV Thread

Postby benji on Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:46 pm

It's my birthday so I hearby institute this thread as my gift from all of you. With the following binding rule that all must obey or ELSE DEATH. If more than three people (i.e. FOUR) start talking about an active show IT MUST RECEIVE ITS OWN THREAD.

OR ELSE DEATH. DEATH BY SNU SNU!

Reality shows do not count, there is already an embarrassing thread for that.

To start, I'll offer up a few things.

Eagleheart - Adult Swim.
It's so fucking stupid I love it. It's like the modern Police Squad/Naked Gun. Nowhere near as good or clever, but just stupid serious like those. It's something I literally do LOL at, followed by "this is so fucking stupid." And that's why I love it.

Castle - ABC
My most favorite weekly series. I wuv u.

Psych/Burn Notice/White Collar/Fairly Legal/Royal Pains - USA
Yeah, they own me. Even if I don't necessarily like large aspects of them like the last two, there's something that draws me in. The first three are god tier though.

I don't know, there's probably more stuff. I'll tell you later. Back the fuck off already!

And if three people start talking about it, it might be a good idea for a thread too. Look at how we've infected people with Cougar Town's holy spirit.
benji

Re: Generic TV Thread

Postby [Q] on Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:05 pm

I'm a big white collar fan. i wish i was pretty like the main character plus Kelly Kapowski is like my first tv crush when i was younger :hump:

anybody catch amc shows not named mad men? breaking bad is sick and has its own thread but the walking dead is really good too. only 6 episodes in the first season so you could watch that in a day.

also Shameless on showtime (i think they advertised it during dexter credits, but i don't really remember) is fucking awesome. william h macy plays a deadbeat father and emmy rossum (smoking hot) plays the daughter that keeps a huge family of kids together. i guess it's kinda like party of five (you guys are probably too young to know that show) but with more kids and more fucked up storylines. it pretty much has everything that people complain about MTV's Skins having minus of course the child actors doing those things like having sex, smoking weed, because showtime is smarter than that.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby benji on Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:24 pm

White Collar is beyond amazing. I think it's topped Burn Notice easily. Castle is my favorite network show, White Collar is my favorite cable show. I couldn't believe how much I loved it, until USA sucked me in with Royal Pains and Fairly Legal even though they can't even compare to the rest of the shows. They have some illegal voodoo going on over there.

Breaking Bad and Mad Men have both became one of those things where I'm sure I have to come into late and watch all in like a week.

The Walking Dead has sat on my external HD for playing since it aired. But I've read every single issue since it started. I'm scared it's going to make me angry. Especially if everyone doesn't die.

Shameless is good? Heard a handful of good stuff, don't know about it otherwise.
benji

Postby [Q] on Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:36 pm

yeah White Collar caught me by surprise. i turned on the tv one day during the week it debuted and it was on and i was sitting there, too lazy to change the channel and i watched a rerun of the pilot and i was instantly sucked in. i didn't really get how in season 3 they decided to go after the guy they did. i should probably rewatch that episode.

i can understand why walking dead might make you upset. i havent read any of the graphic novels so i gotta say it's a pretty good show if you have no knowledge of the previous stuff. you cant really cover a lot in 6 episodes, so i'm thinking it was more of a setup for this next season. it was a lot of intro and not much story in my opinion so i think you might hate it but my friends that watched it seem to disagree with me.

and shameless is very solid. very entertaining and i think they built up the characters very well. each kid in the family seems to have something going on, so by midseason there are like 4 or 5 different things going on storywise. the season just ended last week and there are 12 episodes.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby shadowgrin on Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:48 pm

benji wrote:Burn Notice.

I <3 you.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby benji on Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:06 pm

shadowgrin wrote:I <3 you.

It's dipped over the last few seasons, but it's maybe the best core show that exists on cable* because it constantly wants to make shit as fucking epic as possible. (And everything Michael describes CAN BE DONE.) And whenever I doubt it, they're like all LOL fuck you, CHECK THIS SHIT OUT. (Like last season finale. JESUS CHRIST.)

*Except for Justified. Watch the first season. Everyone. Do it now. I'll make a thread if I have to. You've seen what my Cougar Town thread has done. Are you going to chance it?

Actually, let me add an aside. I've sold my parents, who have no business knowing these exist, on three shows entirely even though they had their doubts they said "okay" as I am their son.

The three shows.

1. The Wire.
2. Burn Notice.
3. Justified.

And White Collar brings up the rear.
benji

Postby kibaxx7 on Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:13 am

I gotta agree with Burn Notice and White Collar :bowdown: :bowdown2:
× Club Atlético Independiente. ×
× Watching:
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, Echo ×
× Watched:
Romeo + Juliet (1996), Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - To the Hashira Training (2024), Paper Moon (1973) ×
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby el badman on Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:42 am

I don't have cable and don't feel like spending too much time online, so that narrows it down quite a lot, but I do like Fringe, it kinda fills the void left for me when the X-Files ended years ago.
I can't really get into Castle but I am sort of obsessed with the chick though, she's just ridiculously sexy. Another show that ABC had a couple of years ago and that wasn't bad was Life.
The Chicago Code on Fox is pretty entertaining, not revolutionary but a solid show I guess.
Can't really think of any other besides the comedies for which there are already some threads here. I mostly watch PBS besides that.
El Badmanator VI: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @3.7GHz, Nvidia GTX 3090 24GB; Acer Predator XB273K 4K 27"Monitor; Samsung NVMe EVO 970 1TB / Samsung EVO Pro 500GS SSD; Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite; T-Force RAM DDR4-4000 32GB RAM; EVGA G5 850W PSU; Corsair iCUE H100i CPU Liquid Cooler; Razer DeathAdder Chroma wireless gaming mouse; HyperX Cloud Flight S wireless headset; Logitech G560 speakers; Razer Black Widow v3 mechanical keyboard; PS5 Dualsense controller; Rosewill Cullinan V500 gaming case; Windows 10 Pro 64bit
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby benji on Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:53 pm

el badman wrote:I am sort of obsessed with the chick though, she's just ridiculously sexy.

Her only flaw is that she was born in Canada.

Maybe this makes up for it:
In addition to English, she speaks Serbo-Croatian, Slovene, French and Italian.

Plus her accents:
phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
benji

Postby J@3 on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:24 pm

I've been watching Shameless, having seen the first season of the UK version it's basically an exact replica but it's done so well. I prefer the US version, the characters/acting/way its shot etc I think they're ultimately more likeable and easier to relate to, and Frank is generally less hateable in the American one. Not by much though. Sexier female castmates also.

I'm mid way through season 3 of The Wire and sort of in a bit of a lull at the moment but I'll get back into it eventually. I love The Celebrity Apprentice and Ultimate Fighter and thankfully Vampire Diaries is coming back this week which will be good. Downloaded the first two episodes of The Killing which I'll check out soonish. Also was watching Breakout Kings but sort of over it now, it's not doing anything for me.
J@3

Postby benji on Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:19 pm

Breaking In seems alright, but it makes me cry to sleep over Reaper. Christian Slater is perfect. It's weird getting a show like this in the half hour format though, reminds me of Insecurity in that it's structured more like the USA stuff but ends halfway through and everything is higher paced.

Speaking of Canada, Top Chef Canada has been added to my list. It feels off, but so did The UK Apprentice, and it's the superior version of the show once you get past it. Further thoughts would be in the reality show thread if I were to ever have them.

COVER YOUR MOUTH BITCH.

Burn Notice Peeps: The Sam Axe Prequel movie airs this Sunday.
benji

Postby Lamrock on Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:00 am

Just got hooked on Justified. It's basically Timothy Olyphant reprising his role as Seth Bullock from Deadwood, but as a modern day US marshal. Awesome.
Lamrock

Postby benji on Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:34 pm

Well, except for the fact that...actually nevermind the Deadwood plots and characters were good too.

Actually, I can't say anything about it, it's the best non-comedy show on TV right now probably.

Someone could make a thread!

I'll do it, the Cougar Town one won so many people over.
benji

Postby J@3 on Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:49 pm

I tried to watch it but didn't like it, I'm not into shows that have like a new theme every week as opposed to just one long storyline. That's why I like The Wire I think.
J@3

Postby Lamrock on Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:06 am

I'd recommend sticking with it. Had that same problem, but the season's storyline gradually developed and the last few episodes followed it. Second season's also had one central arc.
Lamrock

Postby benji on Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:43 pm

The Paul Reiser Show could be a network version of Curb. But since it's a network sitcom, there's way too many terrible characters who are part of the every episode ensemble. (Reviewing it like an actual TV critic based only on the first two episodes.)

Oh, and the fact that he's the straight man so it's more like the network version of a Bizarro Curb. I guess that's required too though probably.

Show is great in the two celeb ad-lib segments so far though. (One including Mr. David.) I might stick around for that.
Jae wrote:I tried to watch it but didn't like it, I'm not into shows that have like a new theme every week as opposed to just one long storyline. That's why I like The Wire I think.

Yeah, you didn't stick around long enough because it goes into that kind of thing as its core four episodes in. (Similar to The Wire!)
benji

Postby benji on Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:21 pm

benji wrote:The Paul Reiser Show could be a network version of Curb. But since it's a network sitcom, there's way too many terrible characters who are part of the every episode ensemble. (Reviewing it like an actual TV critic based only on the first two episodes.)

Oh, and the fact that he's the straight man so it's more like the network version of a Bizarro Curb. I guess that's required too though probably.

Show is great in the two celeb ad-lib segments so far though. (One including Mr. David.) I might stick around for that.

Actually, ignore that I said any of that.
benji

Postby J@3 on Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:07 am

Vampire Diaries is basically The Wire with supernatural beings, and aimed at 16 year old girls. Fantastic show.
J@3

Postby Jackal on Sun May 01, 2011 3:51 am

The Wire, supernatural beings & 16 year old girls should never, ever be put in one sentence.

Ever.
Jackal

Postby ixcuincle on Sun May 01, 2011 5:12 am

Community is good stuff.
ixcuincle

Postby J@3 on Sun May 01, 2011 6:28 am

Jackal wrote:The Wire, supernatural beings & 16 year old girls should never, ever be put in one sentence.

Ever.

False. It belongs there in this instance.
J@3

Postby [Q] on Sun May 01, 2011 7:24 am

ixcuincle wrote:Community is good stuff.

Donald Glover is even better.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby benji on Sat May 07, 2011 8:21 pm

Let me say, Parks and Recreation sucked in its first season. Got really good in its second. Now it's fantastic.

OMG: Ina on 30 Rock.
benji

Postby el badman on Sun May 08, 2011 2:10 am

Let me say, Parks and Recreation sucked in its first season. Got really good in its second. Now it's fantastic.

True, it was pretty boring in the first season and I didn't think NBC would even keep it, but it got progressively better. Ron is hilarious.

I was surprised Happy Endings didn't suck as much as I thought. It's kinda hit and miss, but it's not bad at all so far.
El Badmanator VI: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @3.7GHz, Nvidia GTX 3090 24GB; Acer Predator XB273K 4K 27"Monitor; Samsung NVMe EVO 970 1TB / Samsung EVO Pro 500GS SSD; Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite; T-Force RAM DDR4-4000 32GB RAM; EVGA G5 850W PSU; Corsair iCUE H100i CPU Liquid Cooler; Razer DeathAdder Chroma wireless gaming mouse; HyperX Cloud Flight S wireless headset; Logitech G560 speakers; Razer Black Widow v3 mechanical keyboard; PS5 Dualsense controller; Rosewill Cullinan V500 gaming case; Windows 10 Pro 64bit
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby benji on Sat May 14, 2011 8:55 pm

In some respects, Parks is everything The Office should have become.

I think it has to do with well establishing that they socially interact with each other otherwise. (Mostly because no one else will do so.)

Season two was probably close to The Office season two, but season three has been just outright incredible.

OFFENSE! THAT'S RUDE, I'M GONNA GO DANCE. DOUCHE YOU'RE UP.
benji

Next

Return to Off-Topic