Generic TV Thread

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Generic TV Thread

Postby volsey on Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:08 am

Random question is there a similar thread to this but for movies? I did a search not to long ago and found nothing and then forgot whether I made one and it got deleted or what happened.

Reason I asked is I just watched a horrible movie, want to see other opinions, but this movie definitely does not deserve it's own thread.

Back to this thread:
Sons of Anarchy Season 4 has be unreal. 4 episodes left to watch and I can't believe how much juicier this season is than season 2 or 1. Amazing how they pretty much tell you Clay and Gema killed John Teller in the first season, but never really mention or talk about it much for 3 seasons. Now it's finally the main focus of the show, usually shit like that would frustrate me, leaving something so critical in the background, but they definitely pulled it off properly, props.

Started watching The Wire again as well. God this must be my 3rd or 4th complete time through, it's just so much more authentic and down to earth feeling than anything out there. Character growth is spot on, and knowing what happens doesn't hurt a thing as it's the intricacies with the system, and what they have to deal with that makes the show so unique.

Can't wait for Mad Men, I just want to drink cheap irish whiskey and pretend it's scotch and that i'm Donald Draper.
volsey

Postby ixcuincle on Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:14 am

Just started watching the Wire. About midway through Season 1. Pretty good stuff.
ixcuincle

Postby benji on Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:10 pm

Justified is simply...

Maybe it needs a thread.
benji

Postby Lamrock on Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:13 am

Can't agree more. Another great season. It almost reminds me of Dexter in the way the plot is formatted, but it's a better show because the supporting characters are far more interesting and better acted. lol at Quarles reaching for his arm at the end there
Lamrock

Postby benji on Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:30 pm

Don't Trust The Bitch In Apartment 23 might actually be good.

It's no Cougar Town, but what is?

Two episodes in and I'm going to let it have legs. I did with Suburgatory and it plodded along, then betrayed me, then came back hard and all over my face. So this is going to be allowed some legs.

The fun part will be when Whitney Cummings gets two terrible shows yet again next season and New Girl is also on the air while this and Cougar Town are gone.
benji

Postby Bulls#1 on Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:08 am

Benji spoiling stuffs :lol:
Bulls#1

Postby [Q] on Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:56 am

benji wrote:Don't Trust The Bitch In Apartment 23 might actually be good.

i agree. i was interested when i heard Krysten Ritter was in it. i was a fan of her cameo in Breaking Bad before she died of an overdose.
James Van Der Beek is pretty much playing an NPH type role (NPH form Harold & Kumar) which actually works for me.

and I actually like New Girl. it's like a reverse Three's Company and I am a huge Three's Company fan.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby benji on Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:01 pm

The part I like about Van Der Beek is that there isn't really any solid explanation for why he's involved in the world of the "bitch" other than well...

Veep might be the best political show since Yes, Minister. We'll see, it has been only one episode but I see great potential. I'm glad it's doing like Boss and not naming parties. The thing about politics is that there is so much to mine without ever getting into partisan or even approaching Democrat/GOP positions yet the bipolar delusion is forced onto life. It's part of why The West Wing is such a shitty show despite good actors and some good writing. The Daily Show triumphs when it examines the absurdity of the entire notion of modern politics, sniping at either side doesn't work as humor. (I think this is part of why Colbert has fallen apart. His interviewing persona is incredible and maybe the best ever, as is his THREATDOWN, etc. stuff, but the other parts don't work because they went too all in on GOP positions five years ago and aren't as relevant anymore.)

This is an all-time epic Daily Show segment and they got it from James Taranto of the Wall Street Journal who had been mocking the woman for months and they covered it because of how hilarious it was: http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-j ... disservice
benji

Postby benji on Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:02 am

If you're in the best country in the world HBO put up Veep's first episode on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CBAO5L4srk

If you're not, HBO wants to tell you: go fuck yourself.

Every minute that you delay, retard goes up a font size.
benji

Postby benji on Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:34 am

I'm going to keep replying to this thread until the rest of you get your balls on board. Or I feel shame. Or forget. Or STOP JUDGING ME ALREADY.

The Community parody homage of Law and Order may be the best thing they've ever done. Everything about it was perfectly crafted. The swaying cameras, Shirley's acting, Abed's scarf, the framing of every shot, etc. (I do wonder how much of the fanbase realizes how amazingly perfect it was.)

And then 30 Rock delivered an epic pair of live episodes?

And then Parks finished all over my face with "The Debate"?

NBC bringing it hard.

Don't Trust the Bitch is still adequate. I love that they can't put Bitch in the title or theme song, but can say bitch. Oh, FCC, why do we have you other than to give millions of dollars to people who provide us nothing and take so much?

Anyway, DTB is entirely unoffensive and has good writing. So I'm still on board.
benji

Postby Lamrock on Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:03 am

B rhymes with 23. Bitch does not. ;)

But I'll make an appearance to disagree with you on Daily Show/Colbert Report. It helps that my political views are more to the left than yours, but I just think Colbert Report is consistently way funnier. The only Daily Show correspondents left that I really like are John Oliver and Wyatt Cenac (and only him because I met him and he was a cool bro). The segments on Daily Show are very hit and miss and I just don't find Stewart funnier any more.

Colbert on the other hand is amazing. His take on the headlines and the media are still funny to me, his interviewing persona like you said is great, and thinks like his health segments and Tip of the Hat are usually funny. I watch both shows most days, but if pressed for time, I only choose Colbert now. It's subjective though, but I prefer the Repor'.

Thanks for the link to the Veep pilot. I need to catch up on Community as well. Only thing I've been using cable for since all the FX shows I liked ended has been NBA and Mad Men (Hulu for Daily and Colbert). Mad Men is still good, but I don't like the direction of Don Draper's character.

Don't think I'll ever be sold on Parks & Rec. After season 4 or 5 I came to dislike The Office, and I never could get into this one, no matter which season I tried.
Lamrock

Postby benji on Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:47 am

I loved the fuck out of the Colbert Report for a while, I was totally on board when it started, but the show itself just became blech. And this may be because I think he's wasting his talents because he should be the best interviewer in the entire world.

The Daily Show I loved for a while until about 2005-06 and it got crappy because it didn't know what to do, but I think it's revived slightly because of the correspondents improving and it unhitched itself from the Obama train and refound the old notion of criticizing the media and politics in general. There was a period where it was just repeating Democrat talking points despite supermajorities and the GOP being irrelevant. But I've been enjoying it again the last year or so including the GOP coverage.

Stewart has never been truly funny. Colbert is far far far far far, etc. funnier. I would actually love to see Colbert do a more subtle conservative version of the Daily Show simply because I think it would require better writing. He tries it in interviews (especially on topics he's interested in) but people take all of it as the O'Reilly parody it mostly is.

Of course there is that fancy study that says progressives can't understand conservatives while conservatives totally can understand progressives. So assuming that wack study is true, it'd at least provide an explanation.

I guess that I don't care for the persona part of Colbert anymore. And it's mostly because it's forced more than anything political.

In general I think both shows suffer from lagging behind actual political notions.
Don't think I'll ever be sold on Parks & Rec. After season 4 or 5 I came to dislike The Office, and I never could get into this one, no matter which season I tried.

MEET ME SOMEWHERE

Mildly related to this discussion and another thread, Gary Johnson on Colbert: http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colber ... ry-johnson
benji

Postby el badman on Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:05 am

benji wrote:The Community parody homage of Law and Order may be the best thing they've ever done. Everything about it was perfectly crafted. The swaying cameras, Shirley's acting, Abed's scarf, the framing of every shot, etc. (I do wonder how much of the fanbase realizes how amazingly perfect it was.)

And then 30 Rock delivered an epic pair of live episodes?

And then Parks finished all over my face with "The Debate"?

NBC bringing it hard.

Gotta agree there, that was some quality stuff from NBC last night.
Community seems to make less sense with each episode, but somehow keeps getting funnier. The cast from SNL is never more hilarious than when they are featured in 30 Rock for some reason. And Ron Swanson was biblical as usual.
El Badmanator VI: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @3.7GHz, Nvidia GTX 3090 24GB; Acer Predator XB273K 4K 27"Monitor; Samsung NVMe EVO 970 1TB / Samsung EVO Pro 500GS SSD; Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite; T-Force RAM DDR4-4000 32GB RAM; EVGA G5 850W PSU; Corsair iCUE H100i CPU Liquid Cooler; Razer DeathAdder Chroma wireless gaming mouse; HyperX Cloud Flight S wireless headset; Logitech G560 speakers; Razer Black Widow v3 mechanical keyboard; PS5 Dualsense controller; Rosewill Cullinan V500 gaming case; Windows 10 Pro 64bit
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby jettdaking! on Mon May 07, 2012 10:46 pm

i seriously think Storage Wars is cool. quickest 30 mins. ever every episode (including commercials)
"play me like it's chess and i'll smack you with a checkerboard"
-Celph Titled
jettdaking!
R.I.P. Hip-Hop "1987-2005"

Postby [Q] on Tue May 08, 2012 11:54 am

man that shit they find is planted. plus, they just make up random numbers like "oh I can make $200 off this worthless furniture"

and that Law & Order Community was great
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby jettdaking! on Tue May 08, 2012 6:14 pm

Qballer wrote:man that shit they find is planted. plus, they just make up random numbers like "oh I can make $200 off this worthless furniture"

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAP

okay that was really annoying, even worse that auction guy. But some characters are really entertaining there, like that old guy, and that really hot wife/bidder
-Celph Titled
jettdaking!

Postby jettdaking! on Wed May 09, 2012 3:02 pm

and who else saw Castle Season 4 Finale? :D
-Celph Titled
jettdaking!

Postby JaoSming on Wed May 09, 2012 9:33 pm

I did, Monday night Married television each week, Bones, House, Castle
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby jettdaking! on Thu May 10, 2012 7:02 am

that was a really interesting Season Finale, but srsly, if the show wasn't A show, that hitman would've just killed Beckett at the rooftop :lol:
-Celph Titled
jettdaking!

Postby benji on Fri May 11, 2012 4:42 pm

Suburgatory, The Middle, Modern Family and Castle all renewed for another season (Y) Don't Trust the Bitch and Happy Endings are apparently "likely" but not confirmed yet.

American Dad renewed (Y), also Family Guy, meanwhile Cleveland Show getting a fifth season is up in the air right now.

Community and 30 Rock renewed for shortened 13 episode final seasons. (Y) The Office is back with Jim, Pam and Andy at least. Parks may be in the same boat as Community and 30 Rock, but no news yet, will definitely be back in some form.

Whitney renewed. (N)

The Finder cancelled. (N) (N) (N) (N)
benji

Postby Lamrock on Sat May 12, 2012 3:55 am

Caught up on Community. Holy shit this show has gotten good. Thank god it got renewed.

Second season of Whitney? :lol: :turrible:
Lamrock

Postby el badman on Sat May 12, 2012 9:35 am

Hopefully Happy Endings will be renewed, I like that show. Parks & Rec too of course. Good to hear about Modern Family, American Dad, Community and 30 Rock.
Fucking Whitney is still around?? I thought they had stopped that trainwreck a while ago already.
El Badmanator VI: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @3.7GHz, Nvidia GTX 3090 24GB; Acer Predator XB273K 4K 27"Monitor; Samsung NVMe EVO 970 1TB / Samsung EVO Pro 500GS SSD; Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite; T-Force RAM DDR4-4000 32GB RAM; EVGA G5 850W PSU; Corsair iCUE H100i CPU Liquid Cooler; Razer DeathAdder Chroma wireless gaming mouse; HyperX Cloud Flight S wireless headset; Logitech G560 speakers; Razer Black Widow v3 mechanical keyboard; PS5 Dualsense controller; Rosewill Cullinan V500 gaming case; Windows 10 Pro 64bit
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby benji on Sat May 12, 2012 1:05 pm

Parks and Rec got a full 22 episode season. (Y)

Happy Endings also got 22 episodes.

The Office and Up All Night officially renewed.

Don't Trust the Bitch also renewed. (Y)

Whitney is the first non-CBS multi-camera sitcom renewed since Til Death in 2007.
benji

Postby benji on Sat May 19, 2012 7:29 pm

Dan Harmon out on Community next season: http://danharmon.tumblr.com/post/233392 ... s-anything

Also a bunch of the other lead writers are out as well. There was a large change over from season one to two and from there to three as well. (If you couldn't tell from watching it.)

Sony wants to make the show more accessible for syndication is the cover story.
benji

Postby benji on Sat May 19, 2012 8:17 pm

Anyway with a lot of the seasons ending, thought I'd post my scores for how well shows did this season. Will include some of the Summer Shows as a couple I didn't watch until later.

Anything cancelled is underlined.

New Shows:
Wilfred (FX) - B ... Liked this well enough, dragged at times, but the finale was a masterpiece.
Suits (USA) - A ... My favorite USA show this year.
Necessary Roughness (USA) - B ... Actually thought I wouldn't care for this, but got into it as it went on. I found that the week to week case could be hit or miss and that dealing with TK and the football team seems to be the better stories.
Bar Rescue (Spike) - A
Up All Night (NBC) - D ... It was okay, but just didn't capture my interest long enough, actually gave up and only watched the episodes with Jason Lee guesting after the first five or so.
Free Agents (NBC) - C ... I thought this could have gone somewhere, but got cancelled before then. Would have been interested to see it retooled a bit more to focus on the workplace.
Whitney (NBC) - F ... I watched three episodes. Apparently other people watched more.
Suburgatory (ABC) - B ... I was way in, then started to get out, but it dragged me back in at the mid-way point and I'm staying in.
Penn & Teller: Tell A Lie (Discovery) - D ... Fool Us is vastly superior, they should just do a US version of that.
Boss (Starz) - A ... The best new show by far. Possibly the best political drama ever.
Allen Gregory (FOX) - D ... It had one and a half good episodes so I can't say it truly failed since that's a better percentage than Kobe shot down the stretch of tonights game.
The Finder (FOX) - A ... Go fuck yourself FOX.
Don't Trust the Bitch in Apartment 23 (ABC) - A ... I was positive on this from the acting in the first two or three episodes, but after the last couple weeks? Awww yeah. The walk and talk bread thieving from last week was written by Darko himself.
Veep (HBO) - B ... Shouldn't really review it this early on, but I like it, especially the cast.
Hotel Impossible (Travel) - C ... I don't know why, but I like this show, the guy takes it so seriously.

Full Metal Jousting (History) - A ... I only watched the premiere with my dad while back home for a few days, and then I forgot about it. But I'm sure it was just as awesome as the first episode.

The Defenders (CBS) - A ... Okay, so it had its debut and was cancelled before this season, but I had the episodes sitting around forever and marathoned them during the dead zone of new episodes after the holidays this year. Jim Belushi and Jerry O'Connell star as defense attorneys in Las Vegas. Yes, it's exactly what it sounds like and yes it's awesome.
Running Wilde (FOX) - C ... Same thing happened with this. Wasn't as good but was getting better toward the end, would have been interesting to see where it would go in a second season.
Men of a Certain Age (TNT - 2 seasons) - A ... Another. Darko, was this show incredible.

Returning Shows:
Memphis Beat (TNT - 2nd) - C ... The "retool" that wasn't. They needed to handle the arc better, making it more relevant. And some of the weekly cases were just stupid and poorly done. Especially in comparison to some of the more character driven and less action of the first season.
The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret (IFC - 2nd) - B or C ... Depends on my mood, this actually probably works better as a pair of movies. Watching all the episodes in succession than it did as a weekly series. And why stop showing Todd's apartment in Portland? WHY? ANSWER ME, DON'T WAIT FOR THE TRANSLATION!
Breaking In (FOX - 2nd) - D ... Not officially cancelled, just "off schedule" and will not get a next season. FOX is apparently going to burn it off at some point. The retool for this also bombed. Hard. Viciously. Kicked off half the cast, brought in Megan Mullaney and completely eliminated the original premise to become a workplace show. Bret Harrison can't catch a break.
Bored to Death (HBO - 3rd) - C ... It's sad because season two was so amazing.

Castle (ABC - 4th) - B ... Okay, so it does a lot of stupid stuff with its arcs, but week to week it's still the best procedural. I'm giving it only a B instead of my standard A for that completely stupid seemingly backdoor pilot that took up two episodes with an international conspiracy and world war.
Cougar Town (ABC - 3rd) - A ... SIX SEASONS AND A MOVIE!
The Middle (ABC - 3rd) - B ... Really, the last season and a half are basically as good as any sitcom. It's like a subtle deconstruction and then reconstruction of the standard family sitcom. Plus NORM MCDONALD! TWICE THIS SEASON!
Modern Family (ABC - 3rd) - B ... Man, did ABC nail things back in 2009. No "A" because of newly aged Lily.
Undercover Boss (CBS - 3rd) - D ... I only watch some of these but occasionally there's some fun stuff. I only watch the reward part now to see how poorly they actually address the situations.
American Dad (FOX - 7th) - A ... Still the king, but has a new threat...
Bob's Burgers! (FOX - 2nd) - A ... And when you come at the king you best not miss. Bob doesn't anymore. (Two of the first five shots back in season one did.)
The Cleveland Show (FOX - 3rd) - D ... Why do I watch this? One to two good jokes an episode and because I'm trapped in the routine of watching all of Animation Domination?
Family Guy (FOX - 10th) - C ... I thought there was just enough well done stuff to counter the abject crap to get a nice Gentleman's C this year. Was a solid C before the holiday hiatus, it's gotten worse the last few weeks except for the memory loss episode.
The Simpsons (FOX - 23rd) - C ... Probably because I expect so much worse.
The Apprentice (NBC - 12th - D
30 Rock (NBC - 6th) - A ... Although, I'm slightly uncomfortable with how positive the show became.
Community (NBC - 3rd) - B ... I still like this and there's lots of good episodes but it seems like we're decades away from how it started. John Goodman was wasted in the second half.
The Office (NBC - 8th) - D ... Can't look away. This was a literal trainwreck of a season character wise. And there's even actual casualties: Toby, Kelly, Dwight and likely Ryan.
Parks and Recreation (NBC - 4th) - A ... GET ON YOUR FEET!

Psych (USA - 6th) - A ... Was down on things a bit last season, but it's come back strong. Getting Shawn and Juliet together finally got rid of what was getting mildly grating.
Burn Notice (USA - 5th) - B
Royal Pains (USA - 3rd) - B ... I liked the arcs this season, it did a lot to flesh things out far more than the first two seasons did.
White Collar (USA - 3rd) - B ... Wasn't as well done in the past, and I think they realized it based on the season finale. But then, we all thought that after last years finale.
Covert Affairs (USA - 2nd) - C ... I don't know, but I'll blame it on the show trying to figure out what to do now that Annie isn't a rookie.
Fairly Legal (USA - 2nd) - B ... The retool and addition of Ben has worked wonders.
Louie (FX - 2nd) - B ... Simply because I have to compare it to the first season.
The League (FX - 3rd) - A
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (FX - 7th) - B ... I need my tools.
Justified (FX - 3rd) - A ... I wondered how they could top season two. And it was apparently quite simple, bring in Neal McDonough and Mykelti Williamson and stir.
Portlandia (IFC - 2nd) - C ... I don't mind them expanding outward, it just makes the skits that miss, miss harder. Apparently there will be an hour long version of the finale and Christmas special coming.
South Park (Comedy Central - 16th, first half) - C
Top Chef: Texas (Bravo - 9th) - D
Top Chef: Just Desserts (Bravo - 2nd) - F
Project Runway (Lifetime - 9th) - C
Project Runway: All Stars (Lifetime) - D
benji

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic