The Simpsons Thread (Worst. Thread. Ever!)

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: The Simpsons Thread (Worst. Thread. Ever!)

Postby Andrew on Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:33 pm

I'm going to refrain from watching the preview to maintain the surprise, but could be fun. Both series are past their prime, but it's a novelty.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby shadowgrin on Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:54 pm

Bob (Y)
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Sauru on Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:25 am

velvet bliss wrote:Bob (Y)

you spoiling son of a bitch. GET HIM!
Sauru

Postby shadowgrin on Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:37 pm

But it's a cameo from a trailer, not even a sideshow.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Sauru on Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:12 pm

velvet bliss wrote:But it's a cameo from a trailer, not even a sideshow.

i would like to give you a free pass but if i did it might open the door for future spoilerish events and we cant have that
Sauru

Postby zzcoolj21 on Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:40 am

So no one else is watching every simpsons ever?
zzcoolj21
20% on Good release machine, The NLSC's Jr Smith

Postby JaoSming on Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:19 am

yep, even got it going to my tablet with 'Da Hopah"

awww yea, the Australia episode in something that resembles HD or at least widescreen.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Thu May 14, 2015 6:20 pm

Looks Like The Simpsons Just Lost The Voice Of Mr. Burns, Ned Flanders

Harry Shearer, who for decades has worked as one of the stars of The Simpsons—lending his voice to characters like Ned Flanders, Mr. Burns, Principal Skinner and Waylon Smithers—has seemingly announced he will no longer be working on the show.

A story on TMZ over the weekend claimed that attempts to renew the long-running cartoon for a 27th and 28th season were being held up by Shearer, who was reportedly fine with his pay offer for the new seasons, but had “issues with back-end and merchandising” rights.

Oddly enough, years ago I had a dream that this happened (possibly around the time he and Al Jean reportedly had a bit of a falling out), one so vivid I had to jump online that morning and see if it actually was a thing. Apparently, now it is.

Definitely a shame. Yes, it's long past its prime, but for all the success it had, it would've been nice to see it end...intact.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Fri May 15, 2015 9:16 pm

I heard this on the radio yesterday that he is parting ways, I wonder how they will replace the voices of theses characters or if this is the end of Ned and Mr Burns?
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby Andrew on Fri May 15, 2015 11:29 pm

That's the thing. When they couldn't come to terms with Maggie Roswell, they had Marcia Mitzman Gaven voice Maude Flanders a couple of times before killing her off, as well as Miss Hoover while cutting back on her role. Roswell of course eventually returned to the show, voicing her old characters including Maude in flashbacks and whatnot.

Harry Shearer voices too many major characters to kill them off or push them into the background without it being painfully obvious and awkward. I imagine they'll have to try and replace him, though James L. Brooks is apparently trying to get him to change his mind.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:00 am

It appears they worked things out: Famed Simpsons voice actor Harry Shearer isn’t leaving after all

Harry Shearer, the iconic voice actor who performed some of the biggest characters to appear on The Simpsons, is back on the show following a contract dispute earlier this spring. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Shearer will return to The Simpsons after taking the same contract extension that his fellow cast members signed — a two-year deal with the option for two more years following that. Shearer's departure earlier this spring was seen as a huge blow, as the actor performs key characters like Mr. Burns, Kent Brockman, and Ned Flanders.

phpBB [video]

Of course, there was always this option to cover for his absence:

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Kevin on Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:04 am

Damn, when does this show end?
Rest In Peace Kobe
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Postby Andrew on Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:16 am

Not for another couple of seasons, at least.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Kenny on Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:19 am

Really? I thought I heard that they were making the last one. Then again, it probably wasn't a reliable source.
Kenny
Thon Maker's Biggest Fan.
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:22 am

There was talk of it, but the show was ultimately renewed through Season 28, and the cast signed on to do it...except Shearer, who has since changed his mind and signed on as well.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Kenny on Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:30 am

I was pretty happy to hear they got Shearer back. Just losing Mr Burns alone would kill the show for me.
Kenny
Thon Maker's Biggest Fan.
NLSC Team Member

Postby bigh0rt on Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:30 pm

Haven't watched the show in probably 15 years. Maybe 20. Loved it in childhood. Unbelievable that it's still running. Has it been terrible for a long time now, or generally still good? Do you still watch for the nostalgia and sentiment only??
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Sauru on Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:55 am

imo its still a good show just not as good as it used to be. people have a tendency to say something sucks now when its not as good as before even if its still better than most of the other crap out there.
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:18 am

Sauru wrote:imo its still a good show just not as good as it used to be. people have a tendency to say something sucks now when its not as good as before even if its still better than most of the other crap out there.

I think I need to add a Like button. :lol: I agree entirely, not just in regards to The Simpsons, but the latter point about critique (particularly online). It either ticks all the boxes and is great, or it sucks. Remember the uproar when YouTube went to a Like/Dislike system, doing away with the 1-5 stars rating? Most people were either rating one star because they didn't like a video, or five stars because they did, so it made perfect sense. We brought it upon ourselves!

As far as The Simpsons go, it's definitely not as good as it was in what's commonly deemed its classic era (generally the first ten seasons or so, with 2-8 usually being cited as the best of the best). It is still very watchable though, and while it does show its age at times, and has made some awkward changes over the years as it's tried to stay relevant, there are some good jokes, some good stories. Every so often, there'll be a gem of an episode that I wish they did a little closer to the classic era, because it's a fresh story for the series and would've been even better when the style was closer to the heyday episodes. It's not as good as it used to be, but it's not as bad as a lot of people say, either.

Then of course you have people who say it was never any good, which certainly makes me raise an eyebrow. Of course, those folks are probably invoking the always popular "I don't personally like it, therefore it sucks" critique, so it's difficult to take them seriously.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Previous

Return to Off-Topic