Family Guy Thread (Ladies and Gentleman, Mr Conway Twitty!)

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Family Guy Thread (Ladies and Gentleman, Mr Conway Twitt

Postby benji on Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:48 am

There will also be a crossover with Futurama: https://twitter.com/TheSimpsons/status/ ... 0395383809
benji

Postby Andrew on Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:57 pm

That one...might not work out so well.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby shadowgrin on Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:56 pm

Time travel episode/s I see.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby ixcuincle on Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:19 pm

Andrew wrote:That one...might not work out so well.

I'm excited to see how it'll work out. The best crossover was the Critic - Simpsons one. That episode was likely the best crossover episode in the history of television.

"This isn't America's Funniest Home Videos."
ixcuincle

Postby Andrew on Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:44 am

Agreed, that's one of my favourite episodes and a fine example of a crossover done well.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby ixcuincle on Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:55 pm

Season premiere last night. Was an okay episode, and a blatant spoof of The Simpsons "Cat Burglar" episode, who in turn tributed that movie I can't remember.

The shrimp bit wasn't funny at all and went on too long. And the ending was kind of predictable, mainly because it's been seen before in the Lisa / Angel episode.
ixcuincle

Postby Andrew on Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:18 pm

That'd be "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World".

The shrimp cutaway was definitely too long, though I did like the callback to it at the end, as it kind of clever and unexpected. The cutaways in general were low points in the episode but that's kind of the way it goes, they've really been hit and miss for a few years now. The podcast joke that turned into Peter with the pig was probably one of the funnier ones.

The ending actually kind of reminded me of a different Simpsons episode, the flash forward episode where Lisa is president and Marge and Homer are searching for Lincoln's gold. I did enjoy it for the most part though, the shrimp cutaway was the only joke that ran for far too long so they didn't do too badly on that front. Pretty decent season premiere.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:28 am

Second episode was pretty weak. The plot/concept was just silly in a bad way and the jokes didn't come close to making up for it.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:14 am

Latest episode was another one that I thought picked up as it went along. As is usually the case, there were a couple of jokes that ran too long without being all that funny in the first place, but the one with Peter and Joe driving drunk was one of my favourite jokes in a while. I also liked the callback with Peter getting Joe a birthday present and Quagmire's reaction, and the joke that they ended on actually worked and had some punch, nonsensical as it was. Have to say I liked it.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:52 pm

The B-plot was funny, but the A-plot was just the standard Meg bashing stuff, literally this time. Cutaways had more misses than hits.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby ixcuincle on Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:31 pm

Good episode.

Surprised there was no troll job. It was actually a straightforward episode with few cutaways.
ixcuincle

Postby [Q] on Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:57 pm

just caught up on the last month's worth of episodes. The Meg one was actually pretty funny. that was the most that i've laughed during a Family Guy episode in a long time.

this last one was a bit different. it started off abruptly during your typical Brian & Stewie time travel episodes which are always great. but after Brian dies, I was waiting for Stewie to travel back and save him but it never happened. Plus the last Brian scene really got to me because last week my mom just had to put our dog of the last 13 years down because she was too old. I wonder if it will be a 2-part episode and bring him back in the next one
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby ixcuincle on Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:08 pm

Yeah, I was waiting for him to travel back in time too, but I guess they are moving on without him. Part of me is glad that they're willing to move on and "buck" a trend by killing off a major character, and they actually went through with it, usually things just end up going back to normal. I was waiting for that plot twist, waiting for them to kick the dog out for doing something bad, but it never happened. It still might happen in the next few episodes though, and Stewie might find some way to go back in time again and get Brian back. But I liked this episode because it was actually kind of serious, and they didn't really have a lot of stupid pointless cutaways. Well done.
ixcuincle

Postby Andrew on Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:11 am

I thought last week's episode (the one in Italy) was fairly ordinary for the most part. A couple of decent jokes, the Meg/Mario/Luigi one was good for a chuckle and a snappy callback to end the episode on. Quite often, Family Guy tries to end on a joke and it falls completely flat, so hats off to them for that one.

As for "Life of Brian"...wow. Killing Brian off is certainly a bold move, though I don't know that it's a particularly good one. I didn't find Vinnie particularly entertaining and of all the changes the show should probably make if it's going to be around for a little while longer, that wasn't one of them. I have to admit though, the squirrel running up, kicking Brian in the head and shouting "That guy sucked!" had me laughing for the next couple of minutes as it kept popping into my head during subsequent scenes.

Some unusually moving stuff for Family Guy, though I cringed at Quagmire being a jerk during the funeral. I'm one of the few people that doesn't think Quagmire ripping into Brian a few seasons back was the greatest or funniest thing ever, since 1) his dislike for Brian came out of nowhere, 2) he's just about the last person in the show that should be judging anyone else, 3) I don't find anything inherently funny in just describing why another character has become irritating, 4) it would've made more sense for Joe to be the person who has a problem with Brian and 5) the subsequent feud between the two has not been amusing or entertaining to me. If anything, the whole thing has sucked the humour and likability out of Quagmire's character.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see where they go from here. However, it's worth noting that Brian is in upcoming episodes, so I would suggest that there's definitely going to be some kind of reset button on this. Honestly, I think that would be for the best.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:22 pm

i would have no problem with it if the new dog was somewhat interesting, but instead is some sort of Joe Pesci/Mafia-like Italian dog. I tihnk the beauty of Brian was that he was the most normal character in a cast of some crazy ones and i loved his occasional dog-like tendencies
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:59 pm

His interactions with Stewie were also some of the few reasonably consistent high points of the past few seasons, at least in my opinion, so I think the show loses one of its last remaining entertaining aspects by killing him off permanently. As I said though, the synopsis and titles of upcoming episodes suggest that he isn't gone for the rest of the series' run.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby ixcuincle on Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:50 pm

This episode was okay. Wasn't really interesting other than Conan's cameo.
ixcuincle

Postby Andrew on Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

I thought it was awful. Tired, stereotypical Jewish and Asian jokes, along with a tasteless rape joke, for a vain attempt at shock humour. Vinnie flat out sucks but no surprise there, every time they've killed off a character the replacement has been inferior or it's done nothing at all for the show.

I can only imagine the writers are fed up doing the show and are trying to get cancelled. If not and they think that's good television...yikes.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:40 pm

seems like they intentionally stayed away from Vinnie, trying not to feature the new character.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby shadowgrin on Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:11 pm

I expect Vinnie to be revealed as an alien, who will eventually die while on the way to his home planet.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Andrew on Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:51 pm

When Carter cancels the annual Quahog Christmas carnival out of hatred for the holiday, Peter must turn his Scrooge of a father-in-law into a hometown hero to save the event. Meanwhile, Stewie devises a plan to get the one and only thing he wants for Christmas.

And thus, Brian will be brought back to life.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:31 pm

Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:59 pm

Considering the brutal attempts at "comedy" that have been Vinnie's lines in the past couple of episodes, I'd say yes, they are fucking high.

Well, the bit with the sandwich was admittedly kind of amusing. Apart from that, the only good thing about "Christmas Guy" is that they brought Brian back.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:13 pm

I thought the miracle on 134th street was funny even if i already knew where they were going with the joke before they even said it
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby ixcuincle on Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:40 pm

ixcuincle

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic