Family Guy Thread (Ladies and Gentleman, Mr Conway Twitty!)

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Family Guy Thread (Ladies and Gentleman, Mr Conway Twitty!)

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:12 am

The new season of Family Guy is underway. Your thoughts?

It wasn’t the most creative idea for an episode since it was essentially just compressing the plot of the first Star Wars movie and skewering it in trademark Family Guy fashion but I thought it was hilarious and very well done all the same.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:15 am

i am mixed on family guy. some people love it and say its hands down the best "toon" made for prime time. i personally put it under the simpsons and futurama and even some of the older shows like duckman. still being said i find the show more interesting than most every other piece of crap on tv. aside from there being a bball game on, a pats game, heroes, or something related to poker the only shows i watch are the toons
Sauru

Postby benji on Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:15 am

It was absolutely terrible, if not the worst episode ever, easily one of the worst. I didn't watch parts it was so horrendously bad. If Limbaugh hadn't guested it would have been a complete loss.

And what was with the typo in the scroll...
i am mixed on family guy. some people love it and say its hands down the best "toon" made for prime time.

If Adam West wasn't on it, it would rarely be funny. Futurama and King of the Hill eat it alive.
benji

Postby Sauru on Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:24 am

so we finally agree on something
Sauru

Postby benji on Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:30 am

Indeed. I wasn't even using non-FOX animated programs like Duckman, or South Park. Let alone semi-FOX like The Critic or totally awesome like Rocko's Modern Life.
benji

Postby Sauru on Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:33 am

duckman was one of my favorite shows ever. you know i never looked to see if they sold a box set, you know off hand if they do?
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:33 am

Sauru wrote:i am mixed on family guy. some people love it and say its hands down the best "toon" made for prime time. i personally put it under the simpsons and futurama and even some of the older shows like duckman. still being said i find the show more interesting than most every other piece of crap on tv. aside from there being a bball game on, a pats game, heroes, or something related to poker the only shows i watch are the toons

I think Family Guy has traditionally used its brand of humour very well but overall as a series - combining humour with storytelling, character development and depth etc - I too still place it below The Simpsons and Futurama.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Oznogrd on Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:38 pm

Its pretty much like the Cartoon Wars episode of South Park...family guy could be written by manatees with idea balls in a tank in some episodes...for instance from the star wars episode:
Obi-Wan, Gay old man, erection, light saber

I laughed a couple times during it...the hardest when the Cleveland R2D2 said fuck you when being shot, and at the end when chris and peter got into the argument about robot chicken. It was so obviously an argument they had in the writers room and they just recorded and put in the show. Hands down funnier the entire episode because it wasnt forced or random, it was something relatable/real.
Oznogrd
Gummy bears are stupid and delicious!

Postby benji on Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:42 pm

Yeah, that part was alright. The problem with it, is was not a joke in anyway. It was a meaningless conversation. You were just supposed to go "heh, yeah Robot Chicken did this, heh, cable programming, heh, Family Guy got its comeback partly because of high Cartoon Network ratings, etc."

Which I guess, is an accurate description of a lot of it's "jokes" though isn't it...
benji

Postby Oznogrd on Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:51 pm

benji wrote:Yeah, that part was alright. The problem with it, is was not a joke in anyway. It was a meaningless conversation. You were just supposed to go "heh, yeah Robot Chicken did this, heh, cable programming, heh, Family Guy got its comeback partly because of high Cartoon Network ratings, etc."

Which I guess, is an accurate description of a lot of it's "jokes" though isn't it...

Yes sir it definitely is an accurate description of alot of the "jokes", but like i said, i find it funny because even through the "chris" voice, i can hear seth green being salty at mcfarlane for this...

Also forgo the grey poupon scene, only other part i laughed
Oznogrd
Gummy bears are stupid and delicious!

Postby el badman on Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:00 pm

I actually liked that episode quite a lot. Some parts were dragging on as usual, but overall I thought they really did a nice job at substituting the original scenes with funny stuff.
I really don't think there's a point in always comparing Family Guy to the other classics anyway. As mentioned already, the structure and pace are completely different from the Simpsons, South Park or Futurama, so you gotta take it as it is without always trying to rank it among others. Well, just my opinion...
El Badmanator VI: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @3.7GHz, Nvidia GTX 3090 24GB; Acer Predator XB273K 4K 27"Monitor; Samsung NVMe EVO 970 1TB / Samsung EVO Pro 500GS SSD; Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite; T-Force RAM DDR4-4000 32GB RAM; EVGA G5 850W PSU; Corsair iCUE H100i CPU Liquid Cooler; Razer DeathAdder Chroma wireless gaming mouse; HyperX Cloud Flight S wireless headset; Logitech G560 speakers; Razer Black Widow v3 mechanical keyboard; PS5 Dualsense controller; Rosewill Cullinan V500 gaming case; Windows 10 Pro 64bit
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby Patr1ck on Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:42 pm

I loved the "Airplane!" jokes and wordplay they used. I like how they made fun of the scene where they use the same footage again because Lucas really did that in Star Wars.

"Don't get penisy."
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby benji on Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:12 pm

Oh yeah, Airplane! references are always good. Best part is kids these days, like a certain person with Zoidberg as their avatar, have not seen that movie.
benji

Postby shadowgrin on Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:11 am

Kareem-Abdul Jabbar was the bomb in Airplane!
Joey (kid): I think you're the greatest, but my dad says you don't work hard enough on defense. And he says that lots of times, you don't even run down court. And that you don't really try... except during the playoffs.
Roger Murdock (Kareem): The hell I don't. LISTEN KID. I've been hearing that crap ever since I was at UCLA. I'm out there busting my buns every night. Tell your old man to drag (Bill) Walton and (Bob) Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes.

benji wrote:Rocko's Modern Life.

Fuck. I got addicted watching that on Nickelodeon when it was shown on late night. Very late night.

Futurama pwns all.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby benji on Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:56 am

I downloaded and watched all of Rocko this summer. Even I was surprised how well the humor holds up, even for an adult. Truly one of the great animated programs of all time.
benji

Postby SVG18 on Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:10 am

Im a a big FG fan but was a bit disappointed in this episode. Jokes were quite forced and all

Dont like Star Wars anyway
SVG18

Postby --- on Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:13 am

I remember watchig that shoes when I was younger. I still know the intro song off by heart. One funny yet fucked up show.

EDIT: Watchig that shoes? Man I was tired last night.
Last edited by --- on Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
---

Postby Its_asdf on Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:56 am

After a while the randomness in Family Guy just grows old for me. Watching that South Park episode about Family Guy also helped sway my opinion a little bit as well.
Its_asdf
I'm kind of a big deal.

Postby cyanide on Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:32 am

I enjoy the randomness. You don't see it on other programs, but what I also enjoy about Family Guy are the casual and seemingly natural dialogue. Like, there's the, "Ah well.. uh... you see..." and stutters that you don't really see elsewhere. It's a unique show that way, though it borrows a lot from contemporary and historical media and pop culture.
if you were killed tomorrow, i WOULDNT GO 2 UR FUNERAL CUZ ID B N JAIL 4 KILLIN THE MOTHA FUCKER THAT KILLED U!
......|..___________________, ,
....../ `---______----|]
...../==o;;;;;;;;______.:/
.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//___//
..//___//
.//___//
WE TRUE HOMIES
WE RIDE TOGETHER
WE DIE TOGETHER
cyanide
Dat steatopygous

Postby shadowgrin on Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:14 am

benji wrote:I downloaded and watched all of Rocko this summer. Even I was surprised how well the humor holds up, even for an adult.

I cannot agree more.
If I ever had a psychedelic trip combined with cocaine addiction, Rocko's would be it. That's how addicted I was to it.
As soon as I finish watching season 3 of Entourage, I'll probably download all Rocko episodes also.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Andrew on Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:56 am

Its_asdf wrote:After a while the randomness in Family Guy just grows old for me. Watching that South Park episode about Family Guy also helped sway my opinion a little bit as well.

As much as I like Family Guy, South Park's assessment/critique was pretty spot on. Quite often it seems like the plot is there to string the jokes together, especially when there's three minute sequences of Peter fighting the chicken. As I said before, I think Famiy Guy has been successful in being entertaining with its own brand of humour but in terms of storytelling, character development and depth it's not on par with shows like The Simpsons or Futurama.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby cyanide on Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:38 am

Andrew wrote:Quite often it seems like the plot is there to string the jokes together, especially when there's three minute sequences of Peter fighting the chicken.

I have never laughed so hard on the Family Guy as when I saw that part for the first time. It's completely absurd and random that it actually became hilarious (for me). I agree with the lack of character development, but I don't think Family Guy was made for that anyway.
if you were killed tomorrow, i WOULDNT GO 2 UR FUNERAL CUZ ID B N JAIL 4 KILLIN THE MOTHA FUCKER THAT KILLED U!
....../ `---______----|]
.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//___//
..//___//
.//___//
WE TRUE HOMIES
WE RIDE TOGETHER
WE DIE TOGETHER
cyanide
Dat steatopygous

Postby J@3 on Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:41 am

Family Guy tries to hard, and Peter is repulsive. It is funny though, and Stewie is probably the best cartoon character since Cartman so no complaints here.
J@3

Postby cyanide on Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:30 pm

Man, today's episode was the worst I've ever seen. It was completely unfunny. Too much dialogue that wasn't even funny. In fact, it was boring :?
....../ `---______----|]
.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//___//
..//___//
.//___//
WE TRUE HOMIES
WE RIDE TOGETHER
WE DIE TOGETHER
cyanide
Dat steatopygous

Postby Andrew on Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:01 pm

cyanide wrote:I have never laughed so hard on the Family Guy as when I saw that part for the first time. It's completely absurd and random that it actually became hilarious (for me). I agree with the lack of character development, but I don't think Family Guy was made for that anyway.

I don't hate the segments with the chicken but I do think they've gone down that road one time too many (though the twist ending of the last one was alright). Sometimes when a joke is dragged on long enough to the point where it's no longer funny it becomes funny again, but the chicken segments in particular seem to push a bit beyond that in my opinion.

You're right, Family Guy wasn't really established with much character depth or development in mind in my view and it works with its style of humour. But if I had to compare it to other shows in all aspects then I'd rate it as being inferior to shows like The Simpsons and Futurama as far as being able to tell a story for 20 or so minutes and utilise rich, well-developed characters...though recent seasons of The Simpsons where several characters are being used more superficially as one-note jokes are not a great example of that.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Next

Return to Off-Topic