Family Guy Thread (Ladies and Gentleman, Mr Conway Twitty!)

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Family Guy: Season 9

Postby Andrew on Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:59 pm

Liked the latest ep too, only weak points for me were the Big Bang Theory swipe because I'm a fan (and I've already ranted about gratuitous potshots in the South Park thread so I won't go over that again) and Quagmire (haven't found him to be very funny for some time now) but apart from that I enjoyed it.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:17 pm

What I posted in The Simpsons: Season 22 thread applies here as well. My expectations for Family Guy these days are pretty low, but at the same time I think they've done a pretty good job with this season so far and I've enjoyed it a lot more than I have in years. As far as the Unnecessary Swipe Watch is concerned, they really only had one (True Blood, which I don't watch but have heard good things about and if nothing else it was gratuitous). The Laura Linney one was a bit of a cheap shot too, but the photographer accidentally taking a photo and saying "Whoops" was funny. As I've said before if there's an actual joke there it can be funny but when it's essentially just comedy writers talking about shows they don't like I find it boring.

Anyway, I thought Quagmire's revenge was well done. I should've seen it coming I guess but they did actually fake me out on that one, which I liked. The Meg and Chris stuff...wow. Difficult to say they've hit a new low because that's quite a call for Family Guy but wow, they actually went there. That one I saw coming and I cringed but the payoff was kind of funny and I liked the callback to "smells like sweat and shame". Cutaways, so often a mixed bag in the last few years, were good for the most part. Peter getting lost in the supermarket was my favourite. Brian and Stewie's story was alright as well.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:30 pm

that's weird cause I was blindsighted by the Meg/Chris thing but knew exactly where the Quagmire bit was going when he started with the japanese stuff and then knew for sure when they found that plane.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Phil89 on Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:01 pm

Joe having sex with Quagmire as a prank. "I didn't feel anything, but you did!" :crazyeyes:
My Stories
LIVE 10 - Thunder I, Thunder II
2K13 - Wizards / 2K15 - Sixers / 2K16 - Sixers / 2K17 - Suns / 2K19 - Thunder
Phil89

Postby Andrew on Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:29 pm

JaoSming wrote:that's weird cause I was blindsighted by the Meg/Chris thing but knew exactly where the Quagmire bit was going when he started with the japanese stuff and then knew for sure when they found that plane.

Yeah in hindsight I should've seen it coming but the Meg/Chris story clicked as soon as I saw the build of the costumed guy she'd been paired up with...and we can trust FG's writing staff to go there.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:41 pm

Phil89 wrote:Joe having sex with Quagmire as a prank. "I didn't feel anything, but you did!" :crazyeyes:

yeah funniest part of the show.

i saw the chris/meg thing once i saw the transformer come on the screen.
episode was ok, kind of a letdown after waiting like a month for it. damn american tv and it's stupid schedules. they saved all the new episodes for november. wtf who cares about halloween in november?? thanksgiving & christmas decorations went on sale last month already lol
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby JaoSming on Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:55 pm

Qballer wrote:i saw the chris/meg thing once i saw the transformer come on the screen.
episode was ok, kind of a letdown after waiting like a month for it. damn american tv and it's stupid schedules. they saved all the new episodes for november. wtf who cares about halloween in november?? thanksgiving & christmas decorations went on sale last month already lol

Tell it to the MLB
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:55 pm

The streak continues. The birthday card from Cleveland bit was the low point for me, a full minute of Peter looking at a card while the gag was run into the ground. Other than that it was good, some classic Quagmire (I've really found bitching and on-his-high-horse Quagmire unfunny) and the whole boxing plot was funnier than I thought it'd be. Five enjoyable episodes in a row, it's been a while since I'd say that of FG.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:48 pm

i'd say this season has given me a few laughs here and there but nothing mind-blowing quite yet. i mean this is coming off the season with the multi-verse epsiode (with the dogs ruling over the humans) and the 420 episode ("A bag o' weed, a bag o' weed, everything's better with a bag of weed!")
last season had some fantastic episodes so it's been kind of a let down. cleveland show is almost unwatchable i fell asleep during this week's episode
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:25 am

I'm very much the opposite. On the whole I haven't been impressed with the show since the beginning of Season 6, so Season 9 has been a breath of fresh air so far. I'm not bothering with The Cleveland Show this year, I stuck it out for the first season but that was more than enough for me.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:19 pm

Not quite as high up on the latest episode, kind of seemed like an excuse to do the live action segment which was well done but isn't exactly groundbreaking. My least favourite of the season so far, but still far better than the depths they've reached in other episodes in the last couple of seasons.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby el badman on Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:36 am

I thought it was alright, but yeah the long ass live segment usually does not work out well in FG...This one was okay, but they really made it obvious in the last couple of seasons how much they want to make Brian appear like a total douche.
El Badmanator VI: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @3.7GHz, Nvidia GTX 3090 24GB; Acer Predator XB273K 4K 27"Monitor; Samsung NVMe EVO 970 1TB / Samsung EVO Pro 500GS SSD; Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite; T-Force RAM DDR4-4000 32GB RAM; EVGA G5 850W PSU; Corsair iCUE H100i CPU Liquid Cooler; Razer DeathAdder Chroma wireless gaming mouse; HyperX Cloud Flight S wireless headset; Logitech G560 speakers; Razer Black Widow v3 mechanical keyboard; PS5 Dualsense controller; Rosewill Cullinan V500 gaming case; Windows 10 Pro 64bit
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby Andrew on Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:40 pm

Road to the North Pole was pretty good, the musical numbers were definitely a highlight. They dragged out a few jokes too far, like the Canada/Eh bit and the Brian/Quagmire is getting irritating (though for me it's made Brian look a whole lot better) but I liked the skewed take on a "saving Christmas" story that's we've seen so many times before. Just not with a toddler beating a couple of people to death with a baseball bat, reindeer that feasted upon inbred elves (and later each other) and a possibly Islamic Santa. The stuff with Seth MacFarlane's father was pretty mindless stuff but I have to admit it raised a smile. Good Christmas ep.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:55 pm

dude the Islamic Santa was so hilarious. but more than 1 song & dance routine is too much. i liked the 1st one where they opened the gifts. honestly the only good song & dance they've done is the "baf of weed" song. decent episode, but like many shows that seemed to have been put on cruise control, they seem to be failing to put together an episo0de that's solid all the way through.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:29 pm

I disagree, if there's one thing Family Guy has consistently done well through the years it's musical numbers. Seth MacFarlane may not be a fountain of original show concepts, but the guy can flat out sing and his enthusiasm for musical numbers definitely shines through in what they do. "Bag of Weed" wasn't one of my favourites but that's probably because I wasn't a big fan of that episode. It came off too much like a bunch of stoners getting on their high horse for my liking.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:19 pm

yeah i actually take that back. i liked the disney song they did in the multiverse episode
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby JaoSming on Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:24 am

I thought the whole thing was pretty quality. Them driving through New England with the state signs had me laughing pretty hard (even though they werent that good of jokes) and I love that they keep revisiting the Brian/Quagmire stuff. Anything that maintains continuality in this show I love, like Brian getting Peter back for the General Lee incident 2 seasons before or the chicken fights.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:26 am

I appreciate the continuity, but I don't much care for the Brian/Quagmire stuff to begin with so I'm not entertained when they revisit it.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby el badman on Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:23 pm

but I don't much care for the Brian/Quagmire stuff to begin with so I'm not entertained when they revisit it.

That tends to get on my nerves too.
The episode was quite good, but fairly predictable in my opinion. Some great moments here and there, and I agree that if not overdone, the musical pieces can be very entertaining in FG.
El Badmanator VI: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @3.7GHz, Nvidia GTX 3090 24GB; Acer Predator XB273K 4K 27"Monitor; Samsung NVMe EVO 970 1TB / Samsung EVO Pro 500GS SSD; Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite; T-Force RAM DDR4-4000 32GB RAM; EVGA G5 850W PSU; Corsair iCUE H100i CPU Liquid Cooler; Razer DeathAdder Chroma wireless gaming mouse; HyperX Cloud Flight S wireless headset; Logitech G560 speakers; Razer Black Widow v3 mechanical keyboard; PS5 Dualsense controller; Rosewill Cullinan V500 gaming case; Windows 10 Pro 64bit
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby JaoSming on Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:50 pm

I love it since I got annoyed by Brian's character, and I like it recurring since there really isnt much tension between characters overall between the show. I mean yea there is Lois' dad and Peter but where's the hate? Brian vs :giggity: delivers the hate in a really awkward way.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:40 pm

I was getting annoyed by Brian's character too but the way Quagmire flips between passive aggressive and bitchy these days, I actually find his character more annoying than Brian.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:58 pm

damn that ad for the Whack an Ewok game got me. anyways, it's a trap was ok. you could tell seth macfarlane HATES that movie.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:10 am

I saw the DVD on sale at JB Hi-Fi the other day. I'm going to wait and see if any bought it for me for Christmas before I pick it up, perhaps get it on sale in the new year.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:27 am

Qballer wrote: you could tell seth macfarlane HATES that movie.

yea.....this wasnt as good as the other moves with the inclusion of cleveland show and american dad characters and of course, fucking conway twitty.

I had my laughs, but Im glad someone else bought it and brought it over to watch.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby [Q] on Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:29 am

JaoSming wrote:
Qballer wrote: you could tell seth macfarlane HATES that movie.

yea.....this wasnt as good as the other moves with the inclusion of cleveland show and american dad characters and of course, fucking conway twitty.

I had my laughs, but Im glad someone else bought it and brought it over to watch.

the only american dad character that is even remotely funny is that gay alien. i like how they did the bear as the ewok.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic