Games you're playing right now, and my freetime's demise

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Games you're playing right now, and my freetime's demise

Postby Axel. on Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:09 am

Currently playing My Player mode (I know it's not called that) in Madden 17 as a QB for the Texans. My god the strategies & tactics learning curve for football is so steep compared to basketball. Thank god for the Skills Trainer.
Axel.
Jermaine Avocado Toast

Postby [Q] on Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:49 am

I've always liked running the ball in Madden. For some reason passing is difficult for me as I can't focus on one receiver and get sacked or I focus on one and miss other opportunities
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Optimist
NLSC Team Member

Postby Axel. on Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:27 am

Yeah my philosophy is short and medium passes since that's all the Texans' trash O-line really gives me time for. I prefer running the ball too; I've actually played two seasons with Green Bay with a RB I created and won offense MVP both seasons. What difficulty do you play on?
Axel.
Jermaine Avocado Toast

Postby Andrew on Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:06 pm

Thanks for the impressions, Jon. (Y) Definitely mulling it over, thinking of picking it up.
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Release Threads: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Threads: NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
No context necessary.
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:40 pm

Axel. wrote:Yeah my philosophy is short and medium passes since that's all the Texans' trash O-line really gives me time for. I prefer running the ball too; I've actually played two seasons with Green Bay with a RB I created and won offense MVP both seasons. What difficulty do you play on?

Usually play on like pro or all-pro
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Optimist
NLSC Team Member

Postby Axel. on Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:34 am

I toggle back and forth between those as well... I can consistently log more than 100 rushing yards every game but I'm prone to throwing at least three interceptions every game on All-Pro. :lol:
Axel.
Jermaine Avocado Toast

Postby benji on Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:27 am

Titanfall 2 enough to "prestige" three times or something.

and now playerunknown's battlegrounds is probably becoming another title in the mix, maybe shuffling out or joining overwatch's sometimes role
benji

Postby [Q] on Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:04 am

How is battlegrounds? I've been curious
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Optimist
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:40 am

I have a friend who plays it, he reckons it's pretty fun, even when you're not particularly good and still getting the hang of it. It isn't really my thing, but it sounds like a cool concept.
Release Threads: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Threads: NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
No context necessary.
Administrator

Postby benji on Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:28 am

[Q] wrote:How is battlegrounds? I've been curious

https://clips.twitch.tv/ScaryDepressedSnakeSoonerLater
https://clips.twitch.tv/SourEnticingScorpionOSkomodo
https://clips.twitch.tv/HeadstrongAwkwa ... pPermaSmug
https://clips.twitch.tv/DepressedCrepuscularSoybeanMau5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTdSV7RZErk

benji wrote:i stayed in the plane until it forced me out just to see what happens if you stay in it...then immediately deployed my parachute and held down so i was taking ages to hover down at lowest possible speed

by the time i landed the number was already down to 65, eventually the blue wall of energy passed me by because the zone was way on the entire other side of the map

but! then i found a motorcycle and was bookin it, and this point i was just flyin to the center of the zone like screw all of ya'll as people took pot shots at me and dudes were fightin each other in places they'd never make it to the zone in time on foot, as i just flew past through the middle of em

then i got to just past the center of the zone and there was a big ol house with all the doors closed! and i was like jackpot! they'll come to me!

as i got off the motorcycle i hadn't come to a complete stop and died from "falling"

benji wrote:my only kill so far was this guy hidin prone in this guard shack thing, but his rifle barrel was sticking out clipping through the door and i could see down on him from the windows of it...so i went around went prone myself like five feet from the door, lined up my shot so it was on his barrel, set the rifle to full-auto and just unloaded through the door

giant bomb mega stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K_NyvcWDPY
benji

Postby benji on Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:35 am

regarding the blue wall of energy and some other stuff basically how the game works is this:

everyone is dropped on the island with nothing but basic clothing (t-shirt, underwear, maybe a hat you've unlocked, etc.), you scavenge for clothing, armor, weapons, first aid, etc.

at intervals as people are killed or die a timer starts, this creates a "play area" which is a circle in a location somewhere on the map, then a countdown starts, you should get close to this area before time runs out

after the first time, a blue circle starts outside the inner circle, this closes in on the "play area" if it passes you, you start taking small damage per second, BUT as you'll generally die from just a few shots this can be important later

as more players die, the game contracts the play area circle to be smaller and smaller and repeats the cycle of countdowns and blue walls of energy for those outside the zone

in the one game giant bomb played, the circle had contracted to its near smallest size with 45 of the hundred people who start a match still alive which led to chaos that could be heard outside as jeff hid in a bedroom lol

when you die you can immediately start a new match, you don't have to sit and watch everyone else, infact right now you can't unless they're on your squad or duo (and your view and stuff is limited to theirs so that teammates who are dead can't help theirs too much, Giant Bomb video shows this pretty well especially since Vinny almost always dies first)
benji

Postby benji on Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:45 am

Although the game is entirely new built off of Unreal Engine 4, the reason "playerunknown" is in the title is that he was the creator of an ARMA 3 mod that led to this. As such, the game has a lot of that realistic ARMA-ness to how you can maneuver around the world (i.e. no double jumping and mantling over crap), how everything you have is shown on you, how distances play a part in combat encounters, how its weapons work (bullet drop, accuracy, etc.; in that first twitch video is a Korean guy counting off the actual distance to fire a sniper rifle at someone miles away) compared to something like Battlefield where weapons stay the same and lean on t he side of fun over realism.

That said, they are adding more and more stuff all the time, and they are having some fun with it. For example, they added a frying pan due to requests as a melee weapon. But it hangs over your butt when not equipped and reflects bullets. Since it's cast iron this is actually fairly realistic with some funny butt protection added in as it's the only thing in the game that gives you butt protection right now iirc. (And yes, you can, in theory use it like a lightsaber and reflect shots, but every clip I've seen this does not end well for the guy trying it.)
benji

Postby Kenny on Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:24 pm

Received the 2013 reboot of Tomb Raider and the Borderlands Handsome collection for my birthday. Both games are pretty cool so far, even if I can't get past Deadlift in the Borderlands Pre-Sequel.

I also picked up a second hand copy of Catherine with a bit of birthday money. It always made WhatCulture and WatchMojo lists for strange games, so I was pretty curious. It definitely lives up to the hype, as it's probably the strangest game I've played so far. In saying that, it's a pretty fun game - albeit frustrating at times when you get stuck on certain puzzles.
Dion Waiters thinks you should check out my Sonics 2K17 thread.
Kenny
Thon Maker's Biggest Fan.
NLSC Team Member

Postby benji on Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:34 pm

TITANFALL 2 NOW HAS FRONTIER DEFENSE

PERFECT GAME IS MADE

THAT IS ALL
benji

Postby Andrew on Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:19 pm

JaoSming wrote:It's definitely worth a look right now, as it's $20 in early access on PC, but in a few months they're planning to release the "full version" for $40 on PC and PS4. At least you can refund with Steam if it's not your thing.

The gameplay is quirky, but once I got used to it I've been having a lot of fun. It's timing based. So it's really easy to whiff on striking moves if the sprites aren't lined up right. Grapples are done automatically by walking into each other, and once you lock up you input a command ASAP, because neither guy "controls" the grapple. Later in the match there is a "breathe" button you need to use to keep your guy from getting winded.

Ended up picking it up. Striking is definitely kind of clunky, with a lot of strikes seeming to clip right through the opponent, but there's definitely potential there. I know the series is highly regarded, and this Early Access version seems pretty solid as it is, so it should turn out pretty good in the end.

Andrew
No context necessary.
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:00 am

I love one of the guides, saying if you are just starting out to simply not strike at all. I've gotten used to it though, so I just strike when I know I can land it rather than use it as a transitional move like in other games.

I spent the weekend getting nearly 600 CAWs. This is how I setup my promotions/stables (all neutral)

WWE - I think my roster is 100% accounted for except for a few NXT guys and UK people I forgot/don't care about.
RAW, Smackdown, NXT, 205 Live, Cruiserweights, UK

Indies - I never appreciated how much talent WWE has until I did this, jeeeez. These had more holes in the rosters.
GFW, ROH, Lucha Underground, PWG, NJPW

Legends
WWE, WWF, ECW, WCW, Golden Era

Other
Wrestlers as TV characters (Bonesaw in Spider-Man, GLOW cast), Real-life fighters (Mayweather, Ali, UFC), Sports (Shaq, Curry, LeBron), TV/Movies (Chuck Norris, Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, Nic Cage, etc), Video Game characters, Superheroes.

I watched a random 32-person MMA tournament with Andre the Giant winning, and then setup titles for the WWE promotions and then one per Indies and Legends. So, without a career mode, I just load up, pick a random title, champion is CPU, and choose a random person in that promotion to play as (press Start to choose a random wrestler in the stable screen).

But yeah, after getting used to it, I understand why the series has been so highly regarded. Getting 100% on a match evaluation felt like a major accomplishment for me.

Right Click Loop
phpBB [video]

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8ozxhwwmz4LJzpGAj22T5qa0ZVFBJ3yw

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Dommy73 on Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:28 pm

No Man's Sky just got patch 1.3 adding shitload of content (again). There goes my weekend.
i7-6800K, 16GB @ 2400MHz CL14, 980 Ti Classy
Fedora 26 for everything meaningful, Windows 10 for games and video entertainment

ImageImageImage
Dommy73
Making 2K16 newbs quit like Curry in the Finals

Postby Lean on Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:38 pm

Re-playing The Witcher 1 so I could do a full playthrough of the trilogy with one save game continuity. I forgot how clunky the combat in the first game was.
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dommy73 on Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:51 pm

To be fair I think there are only 6 decisions that are imported to Witcher 3.
Fedora 26 for everything meaningful, Windows 10 for games and video entertainment

ImageImageImage
Dommy73

Postby jenz on Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:49 am

Coincidentally, I just bought the Witcher trilogy. I do not have any idea on what it is about. I am excited to try it tonight.
jenz
Too cool for a custom title.

Postby Lean on Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:17 pm

Don't expect too much out of the first game graphics-wise. It's very dated. I just got past the tutorial stage and the first village yesterday. During my first playthrough, I still haven't figured out how to use the potions, and still haven't got my initial armor replaced. :lol: I just tanked my way through.

Dommy73 wrote:To be fair I think there are only 6 decisions that are imported to Witcher 3.

Oh. :(
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby jenz on Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:21 pm

Yup, I was not expecting much from the first one. I just felt like I need to start with it. I actually opened it last night and the cutscenes were painstakingly long. :lol:
jenz

Postby Lean on Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:42 pm

You can left-click to skip dialogues, ESC for cutscenes with cinematic cameras.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby jenz on Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:41 pm

Thanks, but I wouldn't really want to skip anything. :)
jenz

Postby Lean on Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:56 pm

Most of the time I rely on subtitles then just skip the dialogue once I read the lines. But I still can't figure out how to make Swallow potions! :lol:
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dommy73 on Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:06 pm

Honestly the first game was what kept me away from the series. Then I heard that the second game was really good so I thought "fine, I'll try again".
After I finished the first game I felt the story was fine, the gameplay really didn't fit with me well.
Then I booted up the second game and I was hooked.

So essentially, the first Witcher game is like the first season of Blackadder.

ImageImageImage
Dommy73

Postby Lamrock on Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:58 am

Just got Madden 18. Same game as last year pretty much - less polished than 2K, but I still think the core gameplay is funner. Looking forward to checking out the story mode.
Lamrock

Postby [Q] on Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:16 pm

Lamrock wrote:Just got Madden 18. Same game as last year pretty much - less polished than 2K, but I still think the core gameplay is funner. Looking forward to checking out the story mode.

nah bro the animations aren't smooth and it looks cartoonish
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Optimist
NLSC Team Member

Postby shadowgrin on Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:05 pm

Lamrock wrote:Just got Madden 18. Same game as last year pretty much - less polished than 2K

What
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
NLSC's Jefferson Davis/The Questioneer

Postby Lamrock on Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:46 am

I mean, 2K's got the major edge in terms of features and minor details. Madden's gameplay is just funner for me, though trying to play defense against the CPU is pretty frustrating.

Playing Fallout: New Vegas on and off for some reason, using a different build. Still a fun game.
Lamrock

Postby jenz on Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:22 pm

So I just started playing Mass Effect Andromeda for 2 hours.

Initial impressions: not much of a graphical upgrade from the last game. Animations and menus are much more refined in Mass Effect 3. Oh well, I'm still a sucker for the series. I think it will grow on me.
jenz

Postby jenz on Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:37 pm

Sorry for the double post.

Oh shiiiiite. This game is bad. A lot of the facial expressions and overall animations are laughable and outright stupid looking. It really takes away from the experience. I don't know whether to laugh or be angry. This looks like a beta product. Here I thought the patches made it better.
jenz

Postby el badman on Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:14 am

jenz wrote:Sorry for the double post.

Oh shiiiiite. This game is bad. A lot of the facial expressions and overall animations are laughable and outright stupid looking. It really takes away from the experience. I don't know whether to laugh or be angry. This looks like a beta product. Here I thought the patches made it better.

Assuming that you're playing the fully updated version of the game, it actually used to look even worse than that at first, believe or not.
Because I'm also a sucker for the series, I ended up doing two full playthroughs of the game, and it certainly some good stuff going for it, but it's very obviously a step below what Bioware has given us in the past (which is not too surprising given the many development issues they've apparently had). The fact that there won't even be any DLCs doesn't help their cause either, which is too bad, that might have been a way to redeem the game a little.
El Badmanator IV: Intel i7-7700K @4.2GHz, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB; Dell 2K 27"Monitor w/G-Sync @144Hz; Samsung EVO Pro 500GS SSD; OCZ Vertex4 256GB SSD; ASUS P8Z77-V LX mobo; Corsair Vengeance @2133MHz 16GB DDR3 RAM; Thermaltake 750W PSU; Razer DeathAdder Chroma gaming mouse; Gigabyte Aivia Osmium mechanical keyboard; Smilodon Dirk-Tooth case; Creative 5.1 Surround sound; Nvidia 3D Vision 2 Kit; Windows 10 Pro 64bit
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby jenz on Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:40 am

Thanks for your inputs. I will still complete the playthrough, ofcourse. I will just be a little bit bitter along the way.

I think they stopped single player support since they don't expect to sell much from DLC's.
jenz

Postby Dommy73 on Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:06 pm

Andromeda is what happens when you use a rookie studio with essentially no prior experience, underpay it and rush it.

That said, gameplay was actually a step up from original trilogy in my mind.

ImageImageImage
Dommy73

Postby Lean on Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:37 pm

I still think it's not that bad, it could have been a good game if it wasn't titled "Mass Effect." But then again, it sucks that they used their B team (or even their C team) to develop their primary franchise.

And also, it's a shame that they announced last week that there will be no future DLC, especially for that ambiguous ending about the missing Quarian ark -- which they also announced that it would be addressed in books and comics.

Fuck Bioware, fuck EA. My only hope for the franchise to become good again is when Casey Hudson and Drew Karpshyn step back into development and with EA hands-off the development cycle.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Kenny on Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:53 pm

I've been splitting my gaming time between a few titles lately:

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy

Even though this was labelled as some as "glorified DLC", I think The Lost Legacy is a great game in its own right. I love the dynamic between Chloe and Nadine, and I really like how they converse with each other during the driving parts.

Life is Strange: Before the Storm

Downloaded it less than 13 hours ago and I've already completed the first episode. I was a huge fan of the original season, and I think I'm going to be into this one as well. It's not perfect. There are a few cringey lines of dialogue, lack of subtlety (eg: saying "that guy is a dick" after they did something dickish), and it's a bit jarring at first hearing Chloe voiced by someone who isn't Ashly Burch. But in saying all that, the compelling story is still there and I'm looking forward to the upcoming installments.

Also, it seems to be a game that has a fairly attainable Platinum trophy.

Dark Souls III

Because apparently I'm a masochist who likes to swear at his television repeatedly. Seriously though, after getting into Bloodborne, I have a great appreciation for the Souls series now, and 3 has been a lot of fun. I'm a little stuck at the moment, though, which makes it hard to play for any length of time.
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:58 am

I played LIS when it was a free giveaway and thought the story was pretty decent. Wasn't as powerful as some make iT out to be but I definitely dug the time travel (I'm a sucker for time travel) and the mystery.
They got a different girl to voice Chloe?

BTW, in the original, did you get different endings for making different choices throughout the game? Or is it only based off your last choice? I don't like how telltale games pretend you can change the story but the two paths always come back together so it doesn't even matter
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Optimist
NLSC Team Member

Postby Kenny on Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:09 pm

They had to go with a "non-union" option for Chloe, because apparently there was a strike in the Screen Actor's Guild during the making of the game. You can check out the article here.

I can't say for certain, but I think the ending in the first game is based off the last choice, while the other decisions tend to influence how you interact with other characters. I think that was actually a big criticism of the ending of LIS. While I enjoy the Telltale games, I do agree with your criticism about choices not particularly shaping the outcome of the game. I guess I just like how the Telltale games tell their stories and it's something that I don't particularly mind. Games from Quantic Dream - especially Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls - seem to be shaped by decisions a lot more. That said, those games probably have a lot more work go into them as well.

On that note, I've read that Detroit: Becoming Human has two thousand pages in its script.
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:13 pm

Heavy Rain was so sick. 16 different endings. I actually got everyone killed my first play through and was confused by the ending. the game had seemed a bit short, but i love that's when you die, you die and there's no resetting/replaying of the game. It just continues on seamlessly.

Beyond was probably not as fun a game as Heavy Rain but probably a better story. I can't wait for Detroit. That game is going to be epic
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Optimist
NLSC Team Member

Postby Kenny on Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:46 pm

You got everyone killed? That's kind of amazing. I played through the game twice and only managed to get one person killed (her name alludes me at this time, but I failed to save her when the car was sinking. She wasn't a playable character, though, so I'm not sure it counts.). I also like the idea of perma-death in those games. It really adds weight to the decisions you make.

I think I liked Beyond a little more because the mechanics made more sense and they were more purposeful. In Heavy Rain, it seems like a lot was put in there just to test out the control innovations (eg: shaving Ethan). Also, you can't really go wrong with Willem Dafoe.

I'm looking forward to Detroit as well, although, it's hard for me to get too excited about a game that doesn't have a confirmed release date. I think Mass Effect: Andromeda kind of crushed my spirit in that regard :lol:
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:49 pm

Yeah I liked Ellen Page in Beyond. She was such a high profile hiring that The Last of Us, which was developed around the same time, basically copied and used her likeness for Ellie lol

Her performance was so good, it was a unique experience for me. I've never been so sucked into a female character's story before. It got to the point where the dude asks her to go behind the building and I thought "I might get raped" and as a guy I've never thought that before
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Optimist
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lamrock on Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:19 am

Played a bunch of New Vegas, and finally played Lonesome Road, which was... okay. Kind of burnt on the slow pace, so I think I'll "shelve" (it's a digital copy) that one for a while.

Also been playing lots of Madden 18. Played through the Longshot mode last night. Basically a four hour football-themed Telltale Games wannabe. I enjoyed it though. Nothing like the myCareer mode because you don't actually get to play in the NFL. Also been playing my franchise with the Seahawks. 10-4 right now. Finally figured out how to play defense against the CPU to a certain extent, but it's the same cycle of frustration and excitement that it is every year. Pretty fun though.
Lamrock

Postby Andrew on Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:47 am

I enjoyed Lonesome Road for the backstory and mystery of Ulysses' character. Some pretty challenging parts too, especially after you create The Courier's Mile.

Andrew
No context necessary.
Administrator

Postby Lamrock on Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:55 am

Yeah, I think I would have appreciated Ulysses more if I had played the DLC in 2011 when I was more interested in the story. I recall Dead Money being the hardest DLC, but this one had a couple challenging parts. My 3-STR 3-END character had a tough time on the road with the deathclaws. And those Stealth Boy rocket launcher ghouls definitely killed me a few times.. Luckily that idiot Ulysses fell for my 90-Speech check and helped me fight off the ghouls and didn't mind me bombing the Legion...
Lamrock

Postby Andrew on Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:25 am

I imagine there would be some disconnect if it's been a while since you played through New Vegas and felt connected to the story. Dead Money is more challenging with the initial lack of equipment and the explosive collars that will be set off by the speakers, but Lonesome Road is tough in its own right. The Tunnellers can be brutal.

Andrew
No context necessary.
Administrator

Postby Cpt(K) on Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:54 pm

Lonesome Road is probably my favorite DLC for New Vegas, particularly with the mods I have installed that just make it all the more enjoyable. Away from New Vegas, I've picked up Dark Souls 3 again and defeated the optional Dark Eater Midr boss. It was more of a trial n' error cut short, because I summoned someone who know exactly what to do. Normally I like to dodge everything to learn the attack animations first, but oh well.

Definitely a boss I wouldn't mind repeatedly fighting alone or with others. Probably my favorite boss in the game, but my favorite for the soulsborne series is still Ludwig (has something to do with the soundtrack ha-ha).
Cpt(K)

Previous

Return to Off-Topic