Professional Wrestling (WWE, TNA, ROH, etc)

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Professional Wrestling (WWE, TNA, ROH, etc)

Postby Andrew on Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:42 pm

I still don't like that design a whole lot better than the current one.
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Release Threads: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Threads: NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
That's a bad luck number.
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:19 am

new theme for Raw - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxnFJG6CW20

and new set too

and new Raw logo

and probably other fun
Opinions are my own.
Right Click Loop
phpBB [video]

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8ozxhwwmz4LJzpGAj22T5qa0ZVFBJ3yw

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:38 am

New logo:

Release Threads: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Threads: NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
Administrator

Postby Lean on Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:57 am

Lolwut. That's fugly as hell.
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lean on Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:24 pm

Heard there was a Punk heel turn with The Rock challenging him for the title at the Rumble.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby JaoSming on Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:30 pm

Pretty much.....

It was Raw, but, it didn't blow me away as hyped. Final match was trash, the big thing at the end Lean spoilered was confusing since Cena did the same bull last year but wasnt considered heel.

Just overall meh, and if its meh with all those legends.....can't wait to see current peoples try to work 3 hours.
Opinions are my own.
Right Click Loop
phpBB [video]

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Lean on Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:37 pm

Because he was Cena? Hopefully Punk reverts to 'This Fire Burns' too.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:14 pm

definitely a heel turn thank god. i was getting sick of his character anyways
perhaps with AJ as GM and a heel Punk they will rule Raw for a while together?
loved the DX reunion at the beginning, and FUCK YEAH Lita showed up (she looked GOOD despite some unflattering recent pictures of her without makeup), and Stephanie still looks good too
was hoping for some divas action with a bit of Kharma thrown in there, but not sure if she's really gone or it's just a kayfabe thing going on with her
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Optimist
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:43 pm

I intended to avoid recaps and spoilers but couldn't myself. Sounds OK for the most part, with some fun cameos by past stars. I'll catch it tomorrow and probably record it for posterity.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:36 am

I think the biggest problem with TNA are the matches are way too good to have DQ/No Contest/Lame finishes. I know they are supposed to leave a bad taste in our mouths, but nvjaskasdfadsfas
Opinions are my own.
Right Click Loop
phpBB [video]

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Lean on Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:59 pm

Come to think of it, why was Rock become an instant #1 contender without doing anything significant to become one? Like compete in a singles match on a regular Raw (even as an unannounced match for Punk) then have him pin Punk. OR they could have Rock to be the surprise entrance on the Royal Rumble match and have him win it. Right now everything is instant, like "hey, I'm The Rock, and I am now the #1 contender." To think of it, since Big Show has the kayfabe "iron clad contract" that makes him do "whatever he wants", he could have been the #1 contender himself because that's what he kayfabe wants.

Waiting for Punk's promo on the next Raw.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:59 pm

JaoSming wrote:I think the biggest problem with TNA are the matches are way too good to have DQ/No Contest/Lame finishes. I know they are supposed to leave a bad taste in our mouths, but nvjaskasdfadsfas

Yeah, Dusty finishes should be used sparingly, otherwise they lose their impact and just become annoying. I guess that goes for overusing any booking technique, but that approach is definitely one that shouldn't be used too often, because it can really cheapen a good match.

Lean wrote:Come to think of it, why was Rock become an instant #1 contender without doing anything significant to become one? Like compete in a singles match on a regular Raw (even as an unannounced match for Punk) then have him pin Punk. OR they could have Rock to be the surprise entrance on the Royal Rumble match and have him win it. Right now everything is instant, like "hey, I'm The Rock, and I am now the #1 contender." To think of it, since Big Show has the kayfabe "iron clad contract" that makes him do "whatever he wants", he could have been the #1 contender himself because that's what he kayfabe wants.

Stars of his magnitude can jump the queue, basically, in storyline and in reality. Hulk Hogan debuted in WCW as the #1 contender. Also consider that in professional wrestling angles, there's rarely a set standard for deciding who gets a title shot or who is the official #1 contender. Sometimes there's a match or a whole tournament to crown one, other times someone who feels they're worthy challenges the champion and it's on. Whatever it needs to be for the angle.

If we're looking for a kayfabe explanation, I don't think we have to go much further than it being a big moneymaking match and The Rock having established success in the company, enough to sway the powers that be. It's not without precedent in real sport, either; take Brock Lesnar, who fought for the UFC Heavyweight Championship in his third match after going 1-1 in his first two bouts. The Rock won his comeback match at Survivor Series, his big showdown with Cena at Wrestlemania and still draws in the business. That's about all the angle needs to explain his title shot, really.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby Lean on Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:24 pm

Fair enough. I guess I was too keen of the instant jumps they make. Rock winning the actual Royal Rumble match could have been the most convincing way of him being the contender.

Meanwhile, Rey Mysterio was booked earlier today in a meet-and-greet at a mall. Shamed to get to the venue and see only the backdraft and the maintenance crew cleaning up the stage.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:31 pm

That'd be cool, but it also squanders an opportunity to elevate a full-time worker.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby deihatein on Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:32 am

Andrew wrote:That'd be cool, but it also squanders an opportunity to elevate a full-time worker.

They have the talent to work with but Vince doesn't have faith in them to be the Cena/Punk/Orton of the company right now. Hell, most of the PPV this year main event Cena.
shadowgrin wrote:Quick question: who is better in basketball, a black dude or a pinoy dude. If you thought or considered for a moment that it's the black dude then you're also a little bit racist.

End of any racist discussion.

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

Postby deihatein on Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:04 am

And a good old match to you all!

phpBB [video]
shadowgrin wrote:Quick question: who is better in basketball, a black dude or a pinoy dude. If you thought or considered for a moment that it's the black dude then you're also a little bit racist.

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

Postby Andrew on Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:38 am

dei. wrote:They have the talent to work with but Vince doesn't have faith in them to be the Cena/Punk/Orton of the company right now. Hell, most of the PPV this year main event Cena.

He still draws and makes them money. History has shown that workers need to step up and create their own opportunities, do something to get noticed and make themselves indispensable. Look at what CM Punk has done in the past year, for example. The fact that Daniel Bryan is currently in the main event scene is also an example of how a seemingly unlikely worker - an independent darling without the conventional WWE look - can break through the ceiling.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby deihatein on Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:54 am

I wonder how Empty Arena Matches work in a wrestlers perspective. Are they even motivated for that? How do they get momentum when needed?

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

Postby Andrew on Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:20 am

It didn't do much for the AWA back in the 80s, except serve as an indicator that the end was near.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:43 am

(obligatory mention of Motor City Machine Guns vs Generation Me's amazing Empty Arena brawl)
Opinions are my own.
Right Click Loop
phpBB [video]

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby J@3 on Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:45 pm

I hope you're getting paid for all this TNA shilling lol
J@3

Postby JaoSming on Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:58 pm

I'm just so lonely :cry:

I've only been watching Raw to keep up with it enough to talk about it in this thread, so, yea, evil intentions to convert some peeps over to something that I actually enjoy watching. Hell, I at least got the wife interested in what TNA is doing to the point where it's bearable for her, with Raw she just stares at me in disbelief that I'm taking up the TV for that.
Opinions are my own.
Right Click Loop
phpBB [video]

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby deihatein on Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:09 pm

YaoSmith should be banned for even liking TNA :shake:

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

Postby JaoSming on Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:34 pm

Why should I be banned for liking an arguably superior wrestling show?
Opinions are my own.
Right Click Loop
phpBB [video]

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:57 am

I can't speak for the quality of Impact, I just can't get into TNA myself, but the 1000th RAW was a pretty good show. It'll be interesting to see if they can maintain that kind of quality going to three hours on a regular basis though. The potential for more wrestling and the opportunity to get more workers on the show is there, but so is the possibility of more lengthy, drawn out skits and segments that they should be doing less of as it is.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby koberulz on Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:20 pm

I wasn't a huge fan of the way they kept interrupting the interview with Charlie Sheen and all those Touts, apparently under the impression that people wanted to watch wrestling.
koberulz
Everything I say is false.

Postby J@3 on Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:10 am

I had no interest in the actual wrestling but the Tout thing was awful. Letting socially awkward weirdos talk in front of millions is never a good idea. Just made me feel uncomfortable
J@3

Postby koberulz on Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:17 am

I don't understand why Tout even exists. It's like Twitter, but less convenient, because you have to set up a camera and shit. If you're going to go to that effort, there's this thing called 'YouTube'. You might have heard of it. It gives you sixty times as much talking time, with no requirement that you use all of it.
koberulz

Postby JaoSming on Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:38 am

yea but WWE doesnt have investment money in YouTube as they do in Tout.
Opinions are my own.
Right Click Loop
phpBB [video]

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby formx on Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:52 am

Looks like AW is gonna be in trouble :lol:
phpBB [video]

PhatGeezer wrote:NovU, you're a fantasy bball hero to me and all but I don't know why whenever I see you post in this thread it reminds me of me checking my balls for bumps whenever I see those testicular cancer awareness ads on tv... Once I felt nothing unusual on it, I know everything will be fine...
formx

Postby Andrew on Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:13 am

I'm not big on the Tout partnership either. On one hand it's kind of innovative to have that kind of fan interaction and response as the show is going on, but at the same time it feels intrusive, not the kind of thing they should be doing.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby koberulz on Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:24 am

Looks like the third hour is going to be replays of previous weeks/earlier in the show. I think I fast-forwarded through more than I watched this week.

Also, a street fight and a no holds barred match are apparently different enough that you can have fans vote as to which one you'll have. Who knew?
koberulz

Postby Andrew on Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:47 am

Yeah, so far it seems like it's a waste of that third hour. Nitro strayed into that territory back in the day when the first of their three hours became something of a glorified pre-game show, before they ultimately cut back to two hours.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:01 pm

what a waste. half of smackdown is just replay videos of raw storylines. they need to make it more like ppvs with more matches or longer matches or both
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Optimist
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:32 pm

It's a shame because Smackdown used to do a better job of being the "wrestling show", still furthering angles but better emphasising the in-ring product.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby deihatein on Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:08 am

Booker T is the new GM of Smackdown. So that means he will leave the commentary team then? :(

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

Postby Andrew on Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:49 am

Presumably. It might turn out to be a better role for him.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:21 pm

fhew, he's back baby

phpBB [video]
Opinions are my own.
Right Click Loop
phpBB [video]

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby deihatein on Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:41 am

I find some of the web series that the WWE puts in their Youtube channel quite "entertaining" which say something.

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

Postby Andrew on Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:48 pm

We have Zack Ryder to thank for that.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby formx on Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:41 pm

I was watching WWE Vintage Collection, and I've noticed that the Attitude Era WWF logo is allowed to be shown on full matches when I was watching Edge vs Christian at Unforgiven 2001. I guess it's pretty good news since the DVD's won't probably blur the logo now. :D

PhatGeezer wrote:NovU, you're a fantasy bball hero to me and all but I don't know why whenever I see you post in this thread it reminds me of me checking my balls for bumps whenever I see those testicular cancer awareness ads on tv... Once I felt nothing unusual on it, I know everything will be fine...
formx

Postby koberulz on Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:08 am

So AJ Styles is having a match in which, if he wins, he'll get a paternity test.

What the fuck, Jao?
koberulz

Postby JaoSming on Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:34 am

Enjoy that storyline for the matches only, because it is trash (although Daniels is doing great promo work with it IMO)

That has been the one resounding negative of TNA lately, don't let it ruin the rest for you
Opinions are my own.
Right Click Loop
phpBB [video]

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:42 am

formyhunny wrote:I was watching WWE Vintage Collection, and I've noticed that the Attitude Era WWF logo is allowed to be shown on full matches when I was watching Edge vs Christian at Unforgiven 2001. I guess it's pretty good news since the DVD's won't probably blur the logo now. :D

Yeah, apparently they've reached a new settlement with the World Wildlife Fund. Shame it couldn't have happened years ago, when they were releasing the Wrestlemania and Summerslam anthologies.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby koberulz on Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:30 pm

I still don't get why they weren't allowed to use that logo, given that it doesn't say "WWF", and they were allowed to use all their other, almost identical, logos anyway.
koberulz

Postby Andrew on Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:53 pm

From memory, around the time they introduced the scratch logo they also violated the terms of an agreement they had with the World Worldlife Fund and given the specifics of the complaint, they were able to continue showing the previous logo uncensored while censoring the scratch logo and mentions of the initials. Messy, complicated, and I bet Vince and everyone else within the company hated the situation as much as the fans.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby formx on Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:45 pm

Andrew wrote:From memory, around the time they introduced the scratch logo they also violated the terms of an agreement they had with the World Worldlife Fund and given the specifics of the complaint, they were able to continue showing the previous logo uncensored while censoring the scratch logo and mentions of the initials. Messy, complicated, and I bet Vince and everyone else within the company hated the situation as much as the fans.

Basically the WWE were limited the use of the logo in Europe, particularly merchandise. I also remembered that when people said "WWF" on screen, that was muted too for a short while. For example this below video at the 1:08 point. It's still weird to see the WWF logo now though lol. Although, anything with blood, is shown in black and white when they do a close up on their face. I imagine that's because the product is now PG.
phpBB [video]

formx

Postby Andrew on Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:57 pm

Ah, that's right. Then the mid to late 90s wrestling boom came and the notion of limiting the use of the logo on merchandise went out the window. Unfortunately, it blew up in their face.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby deihatein on Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:53 pm

lol at Summerslam Fred Durst showed the finger :lol:

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

Postby shadowgrin on Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:58 pm

HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic