Professional Wrestling (WWE, TNA, ROH, etc)

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Professional Wrestling (WWE, TNA, ROH, etc)

Postby Andrew on Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:14 pm

So, looks like Jason Jordan's health problems aren't a work after all, as he's undergone surgery. I still feel at some point, they've got to reveal that he isn't Kurt Angle's son, leading to a feud and probably one of Kurt's final matches, in which he'll probably put him over.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:20 am

So, Jeff Jarrett is going into the Hall of Fame. I would not have expected that. Sure, he had some good runs in the company back in the 90s, but they've also taken their fair amount of shots at him since his final tenure with them in 1999.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:20 pm

especially surprising with his very recent association with TNA and his involvement in the Woken trademark legal battle

a bit of nostalgia when they played that Alone with my Baby song
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:46 pm

Now that you mention it, I wonder if it was part of a quiet settlement of that matter. It's obviously good promotion and visibility for his current venture.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:51 pm

During that Roman promo, I realized that nearly everyone in the main event of Raw gets mixed reactions. Cena, Roman, Braun, Miz, Elias have fans doing the opposite of what the WWE wants them to do. Seth & Finn remain pure faces.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:55 pm

Yeah, WWE banks heavily on the idea of "shades of grey" tweeners being a revolutionary new way of telling stories. Putting aside it's a Vince Russo trait and by no means original, it's definitely problematic in terms of telling a coherent and compelling story, because so many of their top guys aren't clearly defined as antagonists and protagonists. Trying to force certain reactions with some of their characters doesn't help matters, either.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:35 am

That's why I was pretty surprised they did a full turn on the new day when people were booing them at first and their gimmick failed to get over. They usually don't give in to the crowd reactions like that
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby bigh0rt on Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:19 am

I thought the Gauntlet Match last night was incredibly well done, encompassing the first 2 hours of RAW entirely. The first hour was booked beautifully, with great back and forth with Rollins and Reigns and then Rollins and Cena, with true false finishes and uncertainty over who was going over each time. After that it dropped off a tad, but was still very well booked and entertaining to watch, with non-stop action. It was the best RAW I've watched in a long time, by a wide margin. Kudos to whoever was responsible for that.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:25 am

Yes, it was a bit different from the norm which I do like but it was hard for me to get into a meaningless match on the go home show before the big ppv. I wound up skipping through that part and realized there really wasn't much else afterwards
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby bigh0rt on Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:16 am

[Q] wrote:Yes, it was a bit different from the norm which I do like but it was hard for me to get into a meaningless match on the go home show before the big ppv. I wound up skipping through that part and realized there really wasn't much else afterwards

I thought it beat forcing various singles, tag, triple threat etc. matches throughout the night in an attempt to make me care. When the show kicked off, I was like oh God this is going to be terrible, but the performances were just fantastic. I recommend watching the first hour, because the time Rollins spent in the ring was wonderful; and I usually don't care for much of his ring psychology. He was super over with the crowd, and at different points in each match, I honestly expected him to be pinned. The work during the match actually excited me more for the Elimination Chamber match than any other recent go home show leading to a PPV main event. It was beautifully simple. No silly gags or forcing narratives. Just the main guys involved in constant action for two straight hours without any gimmicky silliness to force the pace of the match. They gave the match the amount of time it should have had, which is something I feel the WWE does alarmingly infrequently. Rollins was in with Reigns for 20+ minutes, and then with Cena for another 20+ minutes, and you got a great view of what great workers those 2 guys who are universally hated by smarks really are.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:24 am

[Q] wrote:That's why I was pretty surprised they did a full turn on the new day when people were booing them at first and their gimmick failed to get over. They usually don't give in to the crowd reactions like that

I've read that were always plans for them to be heels, just ones who acted as though they were faces at first. Whatever the case may be, they have booked them well, and ridden the crowd reactions appropriately. An anomaly in today's WWE, it seems.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:57 am

Yes I do appreciate that the gauntlet match wasn't just another 6 man tag match. God knows we don't need another one of those. The matches went way longer than I was expecting so the quality of each match must have been fantastic. I might have to watch that first part. I actually did watch Finn CA Elias. It's cool they unbanned the curb stomp but unfortunately they banned the curb part of it. Somehow "Drive By" is still okay and Apollo Crews is not
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:59 am

Not a fan of tag matches? You know what Teddy Long has to say to that!

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:08 pm

Apparently contract negotiations between the WWE and Brock Lesnar aren't going that well, and there's a strong possibility he'll be going back to UFC. Honestly, I'm fine with that. He's a big draw and having him on the roster makes sense from a business point of view - at least in the short term - but I'm bored of him. All of his angles, and the matches themselves, are booked too predictably, and it's not letting up and coming main event talent break through the ceiling. At least get him out of the title picture (even if it is Reigns taking the title), and if he's gone, move on.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:38 pm

I tihnk part of it too is that with Reigns being planned to go over Lesnar at WM, there probably won't be much winning done by him if he stays. He's got a better chance at earning a belt in the UFC than WWE lol
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:41 pm

Apparently his contract runs through Summerslam, but yeah, if he's on his way out, I can't imagine they'd have him destroy people before he leaves.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:28 pm

#ReignsWinLOL
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lean on Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:36 pm

Unless they make AJ-Shinsuke the main event, this will be the fourth straight WrestleMania with Reigns in the main event.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:08 pm

No need for spoiler tags, we knew that was happening
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:26 pm

At least they made Braun look great, but then of course Reigns is made to look even better by doing the seemingly impossible. At least Smackdown's title picture is more interesting. It's astonishing that they still haven't figured out where they've gone wrong booking Reigns. I mean, it's not like Cena's booking was a cautionary example or anything, at least in terms of having a coherent storyline where there's a clear cut antagonist and protagonist.

They're going to end up wasting Braun's momentum. The beatdown after the match feels meaningless.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby bigh0rt on Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:39 am

I really hope Braun is added to the Universal Title match, but I don't think he will. I think Vince really wants to sell this as Reigns' redemption match where he gets to pin Brock to get back for when Rollins cashed in a few years ago. The problem is nobody really wants to see Reigns vs. Brock. Adding Braun to the match, even if Reigns ultimately goes over (and he should pin Brock if he does), at least adds something worth seeing to the match.

It looks like we could see a potential Miz v Finn v Rollins match for the IC Title at Mania? I'm here for it.

It may seem lazy because of the UFC parallels, but they should really have Paul Heyman be Ronda Rousey's advocate. She's absolutely dreadful on the mic, and awkward, but I think she's going to be a big sell in the Women's Division, with the potential to be really over. She needs a mouthpiece, though, and with Brock potentially on his way out in the near future, I think he's the perfect person for the job, and would help her immensely.

Man, I know they've worked all those recent great matches, but give me Usos vs New Day one last time at Mania, which looks like it has some possibility with their altercation last night; before it was interrupted by the just awful Bludgeon Brothers. I feel like Regina George: Stop trying to make the Bludgeon Brothers happen! At the very least let them work the tag team mid-card. The only time I ever see them is beating up jobbers or interrupting the Usos and/or New Day. If they're for some reason worked into a program with either, that'd be a shame, because they really don't belong. Let's see them work some competitive matches versus other tag teams before they ultimately become the new Ascension.

I wish they'd limit the number of Mania matches and just give them time to breathe and flesh out and pay off. If Nakamura vs. Styles goes less than 30 minutes, you just know they'll be leaving something on the table that they could otherwise put out there. Same goes for New Day vs. The Usos. Brock's match should be the short one, as those tend to be the only ones that are entertaining (like when he faced Goldberg) -- a quick, violent sprint. I imagine we'll get a thousand 12 minute matches, though, which is unfortunate; though I understand wanting to get as many people on the card as possible.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:27 am

The only problem with putting Heyman with Rousey is that she seems to be positioned as a face, and he's definitely better as a heel. I think once she gets to kicking ass, her mic skills won't matter as much. It's something she can improve on, too. Hey, even Miz started out reading things off his wrist.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:51 pm

I'm not really seeing WWE putting Styles vs Nakamura as the main event, but at least give them a NJPW-esque match like the one AJ and Cena had at last year's Royal Rumble. Plus I get this feeling that WWE would swerve us and NOT give us Styles vs Nakamura at Wrestlemania.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:01 pm

It remains to be seen what they'll do with Cena. Was the mention of a match with Undertaker a red herring, or is he going to come up short at Fastlane, leading to him taking on The Phenom anyway? Whatever happens there, it's going to be a short build to Wrestlemania.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby bigh0rt on Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:17 am

Lean wrote:I'm not really seeing WWE putting Styles vs Nakamura as the main event, but at least give them a NJPW-esque match like the one AJ and Cena had at last year's Royal Rumble. Plus I get this feeling that WWE would swerve us and NOT give us Styles vs Nakamura at Wrestlemania.
I'm afraid they're going to have it be the first match of the night.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic