Professional Wrestling (WWE, TNA, ROH, etc)

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Postby koberulz on Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:30 pm

there are rumours of an eddie guerrero return at wrestlemania. honestly. people these days.
koberulz
Everything I say is false.

Postby Andrew on Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:38 pm

I think a lot of people wish Guerrero's death was a work, distasteful as that would've been. Unfortunately, the man is gone. :(
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby J@3 on Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:52 pm

-- There is talk backstage that Dalip "Giant" Singh will be making some sort of appearance at WrestleMania 22, and there is also talk of him doing a program with Matt Hardy at house shows after WretleMania.

For those who don't know, Dalip Singh was on "The Longest Yard"... he's fucking enormous, ugly as hell but absolutely gigantic.

And here.
J@3

Postby Null17 on Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:20 pm

yeah, it's been announced that he's been signed a long time ago. I have a feeling he'll sucked in the ring. Seems like they only signed him for his size.

I'd like to see the big european guy that jerry jarett introduced to vince a while back.
Null17

Postby koberulz on Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:43 pm

mark henry anyone?
koberulz

Postby koberulz on Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:01 pm

- Renee Dupree and Bob Holly have backstage heat because they missed Monday's backstage meeting about the new drug testing policy.

- Dave Meltzer is reporting that there is talk of Dalip "Giant" Singh feuding with The Undertaker once he debuts, likely at WrestleMania 22.

- The tagline for season 2 of VH1's "Hogan Knows Best" series is "Overprotective is an Understatement."

- 'Tombstone: The History of the Undertaker' was revealed as the biggest selling non-PPV DVD ever in WWE history.

- The following Smackdown Preemptions will occur in Philadelphia this year do to the MLB: May 19, June 30, July 21, August 4, and September 1

WWE.com has posted an item saying WWE has "broken all professional ties with Marty Jannety".

Jannety was heavily involved in the "Kiss my ass" segment that closed RAW last week. The storyline was that Jannety would have to kiss Vince McMahon's ass to secure a WWE contract.
koberulz

Postby Andrew on Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:00 pm

Jannetty screws up again backstage. Shame.

- 'Tombstone: The History of the Undertaker' was revealed as the biggest selling non-PPV DVD ever in WWE history.

I contributed to that. :headbang: Good DVD set, they've been doing a great job with their releases the last 12 months.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby koberulz on Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:22 pm

all it was really was some of his matches...not really a history, or anything at all biographical.

singh-taker, if it happens....well, hegoes from mark henry (not that hes wrestled him (yet) but still...) to him...two great big underskilled overrated lumps of lard. not saying that thats how singhs going to end up...but, thats the way, knowing how the wwe works, that he will end up. i mention the taker-henry feud cause thats what looks like happening....knowing wwe, taker will retire just after having his wrestlemania win streak ended by the worlds sweatiest man, mark henry, at wrestlemania 22.

of course, there's always...how are they going to explain takers retirement? he's been killed several times already, and every time he comes back. he cant die, he has already. he cant get old, hes dead. am i the only one who finds it annoying that wrestlers always have to fake injury to take time off, they cant just say "so-and-so is taking some time off"?
koberulz

Postby J@3 on Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:31 pm

The Singh thing will be interesting... McMahon loves big guys, and Singh is a legit 7'2.. unlike guys like Kane/Taker who are closer to 6'9 but advertised at 7'. I'm interested to see him... then again, Nathan Jones was also huge.
J@3

Postby koberulz on Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:03 pm

yeah...doesnt he realise that small people can wrestle too, and at times better than the big guys? make that most times. id much rather watch mysterio than batista, cena, triple h, kane, etc. yet the cruiserweights constantly get pushed off the card.
koberulz

Postby Null17 on Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:57 am

Jae wrote:The Singh thing will be interesting... McMahon loves big guys, and Singh is a legit 7'2.. unlike guys like Kane/Taker who are closer to 6'9 but advertised at 7'. I'm interested to see him... then again, Nathan Jones was also huge.

They already admit that Taker's 6'10 actually. Kane's really 7'0 or at least that's what most wrestling sites say.

As for faking an injury to take time off, it was kinda refreshing to see how HHH left by just saying he's pissed at the fans and leaves to prove that the industry needs him. Funnily enough, they cheer him when they come back only to boo him a few weeks after :lol:
Null17

Postby koberulz on Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:48 pm

lance storm has just hinted on his website that bret hart will not be in chicago for the hall of fame, or wrestlemania.
koberulz

Postby Andrew on Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:22 am

Taker is supposed to be arouund 6'10", but I've read that Kane's height is boosted by his boots. In an interview, he stated that the fact he wore extensions before shaving his head was one of the "best kept secrets in the business".

I hope Lance Storm is mistaken, after all that's happened I hope the Hitman does attend the proceedings though there'd be some poetic justice in there if he screwed McMahon by no-showing.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby koberulz on Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:50 pm

lance storm would be a reliable source. he has said in the latest commentary on his website that he doesnt think bret will show up, and thats why nobody has said he will yet. so vince isnt expecting him to either. if thats the case, although lance could be wrong, he hasnt spoken to bret about it yet. but they know each other well, been to each others houses for visits etc...

and ecw will be having another PPV....called "Another One Night Stand". no word on who's involved as yet, butlance storm has said on his website that he's interested (hes making a ring of honour appearance to wrestle someone for some title, so hell be giving up jericho as his last match anyway), and he would definitely do it if he could wrestle benoit.
koberulz

Postby Andrew on Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:10 pm

I thought his appearance had been confirmed already. They're pushing it a lot which would seem strange if they weren't confident of an appearance, at least at the HOF event before WM22.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Null17 on Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:40 pm

Speaking of Lance Storm, he's set to wrestle Brian "The American Dragon" Danielson for the ROH World Title. Danielson or AmDrag is probably one of the best techinical wrestlers in the business today together with Benoit.

Explanation on the Jannety situation

-- Below is Marty Jannetty’s explanation of why he will not be on RAW this coming Monday:

OK, for my fans, family and friends, here is the situation....Due to travel restrictions I have as part of a probation agreement, I was denied travel this week to Birmingham, Alabama for Monday Night Raw. As you could or should imagine, this is a disaster for WWE as they now have to go back and rewrite a major portion of their show in which I was to be included in, and with less than 3 days notice. The fact that this could happen again at any given time my PO decides against me traveling, is good reason for WWE to be concerned in another major disaster especially with WrestleMania coming up. Could you imagine that 2 days before that show I'm told I can NOT go to Chicago. Please understand WWE's position, and believe in them as they have not closed the window of opportunity yet. We are working hard right now on getting all travel restrictions lifted. It is a good possibility that it will happen. If you really care and are concerned, believe me when I say, prayer works and is greatly needed and appreciated right now. I'm getting tons of e-mails from friends and fans hating Vince and the WWE right now. They are not at fault!!! And, they are supporting me on this, so no more hating on them, ok?? I thank all of you for your support, cares and concerns. I love you all!!! I do have a strong gut feeling everything is going to be fine!!!!
Null17

Postby Andrew on Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:42 pm

Saw that at Rajah's earlier today. Admirable that he's taking full responsibility for the outcome and that they might be able to resume a working relationship.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby koberulz on Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:30 pm

anybody else think that the inter-promotional money in the bank match cheapens the rumble at least a little?
koberulz

Postby Andrew on Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:28 pm

Not really, though let's see who represents Smackdown. I think it's going to be weaker than last year, it's the kind of match where you need a few people who are close to or already at main event level. It's a shame Chris Benoit and JBL will be involved in a program, as much as I hated JBL's title reign because I feel he didn't deserve such a push, it has established him as a guy who can be involved in these matches though preferably not winning them. Chris Benoit's involvement is self explanatory.

I have to give the WWE credit for the way they finally remembered/utilised Edge's MITB shot earlier this year. Even though I wanted Cena to make it those few extra days at least and beat JBL's title reign (yes I know, it's not real but it's just sad he's got that long reign when more talented performers never got a chance to run with the ball like that), that was a crafty move that suited his current heel persona.

The other problem with this year's MITB is that Shelton Benjamin is involved. That needn't be a bad thing because he's a fine athlete and talented performer and he's getting better with his character as well but he's once again going into MITB as the IC champ which means once again that belt will not be defended at Wrestlemania. Even if the WWE isn't doing a fantastic job of booking the main events these days they're really struggling to effectively handle the mid and lower card. Perhaps part of the problem is the brand split and all the belts...it's kind of watered down the meaning of the secondary championships.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby koberulz on Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:37 pm

agreed. they need to at least unify the tag belts. there are at least a couple of decent teams on smackdown, namely mnm, that can give at least some credibility to the tag division. last year neither the tag or us belts were defended at wrestlemania (from memory), so at least that's a step up.
koberulz

Postby Andrew on Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:01 pm

I can't recall a US title defense at WM21 either. It might never happen, but I'd love to see the end of the brand split. I think it's run it's course and it's starting to limit the possibilities for storylines and matches, as well as watering down the individual belts.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Yessie on Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:55 am

Andrew wrote:I can't recall a US title defense at WM21 either. It might never happen, but I'd love to see the end of the brand split. I think it's run it's course and it's starting to limit the possibilities for storylines and matches, as well as watering down the individual belts.

yeah. they need to bring back both brands they will have 3 shows RAW,Smackdown and Saturday night main even. they have enough shows to have alot of storylines to have both brands joined together again. half the time wrestlers from Raw are at smackdown backstage and vice versa. why randy orton showed up 2 weeks ago to RKO chavo guerrero.

PLZ JUST END THE BRAND SPLIT. Unify every title make the WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE THE MAIN TITLE. just cause it has so much history behind it. if wwe keeps going this way TNA will just get more popular and be the next WCW eventually being bought out in 5 years. lol :cool: then we can have another brand split. and we can see a WWE vs ECW vs TNA PPV.
Bizzy Bone-

"Gotta give it on up to the glock glock
Pop pop, better drop when them buckshot blow
The bone in me never no ho, so no creepin up outta the ziplock So sin, sip gin, and lil' mo heart run up, nut up And flipped in."
Yessie

Postby Andrew on Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:54 am

The WWE title (RAW) actually has the most history. It dates back to the 60s while the World Heavyweight title dates back to 2002, not long after the brand split. I'd prefer it if the WWE title (but get rid of Cena's custom belt, that's run its course) was the lineage they continued.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Yessie on Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:52 am

Andrew wrote:The WWE title (RAW) actually has the most history. It dates back to the 60s while the World Heavyweight title dates back to 2002, not long after the brand split. I'd prefer it if the WWE title (but get rid of Cena's custom belt, that's run its course) was the lineage they continued.

World Heavyweight title was back in WCW and it goes further back to NWA

WWF History
The WWF got kicked off in the 1960's by Vince MacMahon's father (Vince McMahon Sr.) It is called the WWWF (WorldWide Wrestling Federation), and their style of wrestling is much different than the goofy style of today. There were no weird personalities (clowns, mounties, insane Iraqies, etc.) there were just normal guys in serious matches. But in the early 1980's, the federation was passed on to Vince Jr., and all that changed. He used a style of wrestling that was much more exiting and the WWF became world renound..... when it was started, the basis of it was centered around Hulk Hogan. The match where he faced the champion the Iron Shiek (who was an Olympic champion at the time) was probably the most know match of all-time. Hogan won and held the belt for a LONG time.....a few years...
In 1990 a Southeastern based Organization is formed an joined the National Wrestling Alliance. This Organization is known as World Championship Wrestling.

In 1991, with only several regional branches of the NWA still operating, WCW TV Announcers start to refer to the NWA World Title as the WCW World Title.

On March 21, 1991, Tatsumi Fujinami defeated Ric Flair in Tokyo, to win the NWA World Title. the WCW however disagreed with the NWA and started there own World Title and gave it to Ric Flair. They claimed Tatsumi should have been disqualified. This now made two Recognized World Titles within the NWA.

On May 19th,1991, Ric Flair defeated Tatsumi Fujinami in Florida to unify the two belts.

When Ric Flair joins the WWF on September 8 ane the unified title is stripped from him.

August 12, 1992, Masahiro Chono defeats Rick Rude in tournament to fill the vacant NWA/WCW World Titles. The Titles change hands several times throughout the next 11 Months.

July 18, 1993, Ric Flair after his return to the NWA/WCW defeats Barry Whindam for the NWA/WCW Unified Title.

Later that year in September, WCW withdrew from the NWA on an upcoming Pay- Per-View match between Ric Flair and Rick Rude. The result of this has the NWA no longer recognizing Ric Flair as its champion a. WCW then renames there title the WCW International title. It is then renamed back to the WCW World Title.

In March of 2001, World Wrestling Federation Entertainmen ("WWFE") aquired World Championship Wrestling from AOL/Time Werner, which is where we currently stand.

WCW History
Though The National Wrestling Alliance (which is the father of World Championship Wrestling) name itself did not come into existance untill it was officialy created in 1948. New information has shown that the NWA's roots far surpassed that. All the way to the early 19th Century. Where the first Organizaed Wrestling Organization existed in Lousiana. Abraham Lincoln the 16th President of the United States was one of the earliest champions.

The earliest known Title History of the NWA has been traced to 1877. When on Febuary 7th William Muldoon defeated French Champion, Christol, to win the World Greco-Roman Championship, this earned him the right to be named the World Wrestling Champion. The title chamged hands many times over the next 70 years.

Then on July 14th, in 1947, the National Wrestling Alliance was formed by several Wrestling promoters in North America. Although they run in different territhey all agree to work under the NWA Banner. The first NWA President is announced to be P.L. "Pinkie" George. Orville Brown, the reigning Midwest Wrestling Association World Heavyweight champion, is then known to be the first NWA World champion, as the MWA joines the NWA.

In 1990 a Southeastern based Organization is formed an joined the National Wrestling Alliance. This Organization is known as World Championship Wrestling.

In 1991, with only several regional branches of the NWA still operating, WCW TV Announcers start to refer to the NWA World Title as the WCW World Title.

On March 21, 1991, Tatsumi Fujinami defeated Ric Flair in Tokyo, to win the NWA World Title. the WCW however disagreed with the NWA and started there own World Title and gave it to Ric Flair. They claimed Tatsumi should have been disqualified. This now made two Recognized World Titles within the NWA.

On May 19th,1991, Ric Flair defeated Tatsumi Fujinami in Florida to unify the two belts.

When Ric Flair joins the WWF on September 8 ane the unified title is stripped from him.

August 12, 1992, Masahiro Chono defeats Rick Rude in tournament to fill the vacant NWA/WCW World Titles. The Titles change hands several times throughout the next 11 Months.

July 18, 1993, Ric Flair after his return to the NWA/WCW defeats Barry Whindam for the NWA/WCW Unified Title.

Later that year in September, WCW withdrew from the NWA on an upcoming Pay- Per-View match between Ric Flair and Rick Rude. The result of this has the NWA no longer recognizing Ric Flair as its champion a. WCW then renames there title the WCW International title. It is then renamed back to the WCW World Title.

In March of 2001, World Wrestling Federation Entertainmen ("WWFE") aquired World Championship Wrestling from AOL/Time Werner, which brought an end to the WWF vs. WCW era in sports entertainment

Bizzy Bone-

"Gotta give it on up to the glock glock
Pop pop, better drop when them buckshot blow
The bone in me never no ho, so no creepin up outta the ziplock So sin, sip gin, and lil' mo heart run up, nut up And flipped in."
Yessie

Postby j.23 on Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:34 pm

i can't believe they're using vince mcmahon as an opponent for shawn michaels, i mean come on. i would've loved to see michaels face off against RVD, or someone of that nature. he really needs one more run with the title before he goes, he's still pretty over with the crowd. i hope to god he doesnt get traded to smackdown
j.23

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic