Well it was twenty years ago today...

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Well it was twenty years ago today...

Postby Andrew on Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:30 pm

Sgt Pepper told the band to play ...we had some pretty good games to play.

Well, whether it was indeed the greatest year for gaming is certainly up for debate, and not all of those games were out at this exact time twenty years ago, but looking back, 1998 does seem like it was a pretty strong year for memorable and iconic releases. WCW/nWo Revenge also came out that year, as did WWF War Zone, and closer to home for our community, NBA Live 99 (an underrated game early on in the series, especially after it was patched and the rosters updated). Ocarina of Time would be my favourite game listed in the image, with Revenge and probably Live 99 rounding out my top three. I loved War Zone, but Acclaim's wrasslin' games haven't aged as well as those AKI classics.

That's 1998, but what are some other all around great years for games in the past twenty or so years?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Well it was twenty years ago today...

Postby benji on Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:40 pm

I think the common refrain for a while was that every three years were the great gaming years though I don't know if that continued:
1995 -> 1998 -> 2001 -> 2004 -> 2007 -> 2010

Just to grab some of the top rated games off GameRankings while avoiding my own comment

1995: SMW2: Yoshi's Island, Chrono Trigger, Warcraft II, DKC2: Diddy's Kong Quest, Command and Conquer, Myst, Descent, Worms, Dark Forces, Full Throttle, RAPJAM: VOLUME ONE
1998: Ocarina of Time, Gran Turismo, Half-Life, MGS, Resident Evil 2, Grim Fandango, StarCraft, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Baldur's Gate, Tekken 3, Banjo-Kazooie, Xenogears, NFL Blitz, Thief, Turok 2, Caesar III, Unreal, Pokemans, Fallout 2, F-Zero X, Spyro The Dragon, SimCity 3000, Final Fantasy Tactics, Railroad Tycoon II, Rainbow Six, Hot Shots Golf, Forsaken, Grand Theft Auto, Buck Bumble's theme music
2001: Halo, GTA III, MGS 2, GT3, THPS3, Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy X, Smash Bros Melee, ICO, Jak and Daxter, Black and White, Max Payne
2004: Half-Life 2, GTA: San Andreas, Halo 2, Burnout 3, UT 2004, Ninja Gaiden, World of Warcraft, MGS3, Rome Total War, ESPN NFL 2K5, Far Cry, Doom 3
2007: Super Mario Galaxy, The Orange Box (Ep 2, Portal, TF2), BioShock, COD4:MW, Halo 3, God of War II, Rock Band, Mass Effect, Crysis, Uncharted, Forza 2, Skate
2010: Super Mario Galaxy 2, Mass Effect 2, Red Dead Redemption, Starcraft II, God of War III, Halo: Reach, Super Street Fighter IV, Super Meat Boy, Civ V, Bayonetta, Plants vs. Zombies, Bad Company 2, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, NBA 2K11, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Bioshock 2

to continue that cycle...

2013: Grant Theft Auto V, The Last of Us, BioShock Infinite, Super Mario 3D World, A Link Between Worlds, Saints Row IV, Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag, Tomb Raider, Civ V: Brave New World
2016: INSIDE, Uncharted 4, Forza Horizon 3, Overwatch, Owlboy, Titanfall 2, DOOM, Stardew Valley, Battlefield 1, Civ VI, Hitman

Other years...same methodology so don't blame me!
1996: Super Mario 64, Quake, Tekken 2, Tomb Raider, Civ II, Red Alert, Super Mario RPG, Wipeout XL, Wave Race 64, Diablo, Duke Nukem 3D, Resident Evil, Twisted Metal 2
1997: GoldenEye, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, FF VII, Dungeon Keeper, Soul Blade, Fallout, Carmageddon, Star Fox 64, Blast Corps, Diddy Kong Racing, Total Annihilation, Quake II, Theme Hospital

1999: Soul Calibur, THPS, UT, GT2, System Shock 2, Alpha Centauri, Age of Empires II, Crash Team Racing, Freespace 2, Planescape: Torment, Street Fighter Alpha 3, FF VIII, Homeworld, Everquest
2000: THPS2, Perfect Dark, RE Code: Veronica, FF IX, Chrono Chross, Majora's Mask, Deus Ex, The Sims, Shenmue, Counter Strike, Diablo II

2002: Metroid Prime, GTA: VC, Wacraft III, THPS 4, Splinter Cell, Super Mario Sunshine, Virtua Fighter 4, Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, Eternal Darkness, Mafia, Morrowind, Neverwinter Nights, Freedom Force,
2003: Wind Waker, KOTOR, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, Call of Duty, NBA Street Vol. 2, Beyond Good and Evil, Max Payne 2

2005: Resident Evil 4, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, God of War, Civ IV, Guitar Hero, Shadow of the Colossus, Mario Kar DS, Battlefield 2, Call of Duty 2, Guild Wars, GT4, Jade Empire, F.E.A.R., KOTOR II
2006: Twilight Princess, Gears of War, Company of Heroes, Oblivion, Okami, Guitar Hero II, Final Fantasy XII, Bully, Viva Pinata

2008: Order Up!, GTA IV, Little Big Planet, World of Goo, MGS4, Gears of War 2, Fallout 3, Smash Bros: Brawl, Persona 4, Braid, Rock Band 2, Dead Space, Burnout Paradise, Saints Row 2, Defense Grid: The Awakening, Mario Kart Wii, Far Cry 2
2009: Uncharted 2, MW2, SFIV, Arkham Asylum, Forza 3, Assassin's Creed II, Dragon Age: Origins, Left 4 Dead 2, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Borderlands, Minecraft

2011: Arkham City, Portal 2, Skyrim, Skyward Sword, Uncharted 3, Gears of War 3, Forza 4, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Dark Souls, LIMBO, The Witcher 2, L.A. Noire, Bastion, Battlefield 3, Saints Row: The Third, Mortal Kombat
2012: Journey, Mass Effect 3, The Walking Dead, Xenoblade Chronicles, Trials Evolution, Borderlands 2, Dishonored, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Far Cry 3, Diablo III, Halo 4, Max Payne 3, Spelunky, Black Ops II, FTL, Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed, CS:GO, Sleeping Dogs

2014: Bayonetta 2, Dark Souls II, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Mario Kart 8, Titanfall, Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor, Forza Horizon 2, Far Cry 4, Divinity: Original Sin, South Park: The Stick of Truth, Wolfenstein: The New Order, Destiny
2015: The Witcher 3, MGS V, Bloodborne, Fallout 4, Pillars of Eternity, Ori and the Blind Forest, Arkham Knight, The Talos Principle, Rocket League, Rise of the Tomb Raider

2017: Super Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, Persona 5, Divinity: Original Sin II, Nioh, NieR: Automata, Horizon Zero Dawn, Resident Evil 7, Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus, Injustice 2, Cuphead, Prey, Destiny 2, PUBG, Shadow of War, The Fractured But Whole,
Last edited by benji on Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
benji

Postby Andrew on Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:59 am

The three year cycle is an interesting theory/pattern. Of course, looking at those lists you've compiled, there are several years in between that aren't too shabby, either.

Adding another game to the 1998 list, there was Fallout 2.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby benji on Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:15 am

I didn't do 1998 because of the graphic you included, but I'll edit it in using the same criteria I used for the others...as you're right. Another sequel left off is Resident Evil 2.
benji

Return to Off-Topic