So I'm building a PC . . .

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

So I'm building a PC . . .

Postby Cpt(K) on Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:07 pm

As the title states. Well, I'm a student that's graduating this fall, which will be in a few weeks. I have a couple of job opportunities as well (I've held a number of jobs already before), but my budget is to be as cost efficient as possible. I don't know much about PC building, but I have some friends. I thought I'd ask here for more opinions, yes, my friends are partial towards Intel. They looked at me funny when I mentioned I could've settled for a Ryzen 5 1600x instead of the i5 7600k ha-ha.

I've just ordered a few parts already, the RAM was already purchased to begin with which is why its at $0 ( a friend gave it to me). Some peripherals I already have too, a mouse and keyboard. Also a 1080p monitor, but I may get another one. Not sure. I'd like to spend not too much more than what I already have.

What I've already placed orders for: The CPU, Storage, and cooler. I'm about to order the remaining from NewEgg . . .

Here's my list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ykf8LD
Cpt(K)

Re: So I'm building a PC . . .

Postby benji on Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:45 pm

Shame about ordering the cooler. Those kind are overpriced junk that are more trouble than they're worth and way beyond overkill. Just get one of the Cooler Master's under $20. The $10 one is fine but has just the single fan speed, the 212 lets your CPU control the fan speed. Not that the i5's and i7's seem to need the full power, they will quiet the thing down as they idle most of the time though.

It won't save you any money but you could consider evga's short 1060's, they're only the length of the actual board which is 7 inches or so, that ASUS card like most add on so the length matches other "normal" cards, but it's 2.5 inches of plastic/metal and another fan that's not needed as the boards don't get anywhere near hot enough, evga even overclocks em on their single fan. I found having the smaller card to be just handy but it's a personal preference, the only thing about the 1060's is obviously making sure you're getting the 6GB version and not the 3GB trash which you are. Don't know what the sales will look like but the one I got is listed on there for five bucks more than the ASUS you've got. (Though I got a bargin earlier when people were avoiding them.) That's just aesthetics though.
benji

Re: So I'm building a PC . . .

Postby Cpt(K) on Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:50 am

Alright, thanks for that. Yeah the cooler shipped, supposed to be here Sunday. I think I'll keep it and maybe get a cheaper air fan. I think you're very right I'm overkilling it, the case I have includes air fans too (and as you mentioned the GPU as well). Also, I'm gonna return the crucial ssd and get an 850 EVO (250 GB).

At this time its only $10 more and performs much better, which I should've researched ahead of time ha-ha: http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Sa ... 2977vs3642
I had thought about getting an NVME for storage instead too, but then under compatibility notes I was deterred that one or so sata ports would be disabled because of it. I'll put on a 1TB HDD later, my OS will go on the 850 EVO.

Curious, I did get an ATX case. From my understanding it is larger than an ITX. I just wanted to be spacious and have plenty of room, the motherboard is in the form of a mini ITX. That won't be a problem, I hope?

At this point I've ordered everything in the list, and I plan on doing these next:
- I plan on returning the crucial ssd (adding $10) Done
- Buy a second storage: 1+ TB HDD (adding probably $30-$50)
- Maybe get a blu ray drive (and software to go with it, since VLC just can't-- effectively adding ~$100)
- A wireless adapter, because my motherboard doesn't have built-in wifi (I knew this before had, it was a cost decision) I'm looking at: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... _nano.html Because I'm cheap haha. Got a better one https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-600Mbps- ... ss+adapter
Cpt(K)

Return to Off-Topic