Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Postby Andrew on Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:25 am

So, I've finally hit the 100,000 post mark here in the NLSC Forum. I know that post milestones are a little passe, but a long time ago when 10,000 seemed like an enormous amount of posts in our Forum, ten times that figure seemed truly astronomical, and highly unlikely. We have quite a few members with five digit post counts now which is great to see, but since I'm the first to hit six digits - big surprise, I know - I thought I'd take the opportunity to put together an old-fashioned milestone thread that will hopefully be interesting and a bit of fun.

As usual, I'd like to thank everyone on the NLSC Team for helping me keep things running over the years, developing content, and so on. A big thanks to the community in general, modders and posters alike, for your contributions of content and discussion. Without an audience and people willing to make use of the facilities, the efforts of myself and the rest of the NLSC Team would be in vain. With our big move last year, I'd also like to thank everyone who has supported the site with their continued visits, as well as our Patreon backers and others who have donated. As I recently mentioned, thanks to the kind donations and advertising revenue, we're covering our expenses to keep the lights on and expect to be around for some time to come. I'm planning on being a part of that too, so this certainly isn't a retirement post!

Because I've done a fair few of these over the years and I've told a lot of stories, it's hard to come up with an original idea or tell a story that I haven't already related at some point. Nevertheless, I thought I'd talk a little about my time running the NLSC for 16 of the 21 years it's been around (as of August on both counts), in the form of a Q&A with myself. There'll be some overlap, but I might be able to provide a new nugget of info here and there, and of course if you haven't heard the story before, it'll be new to you. Without any further ado, let's begin.

What am I most proud of when it comes to running the NLSC?

There are quite a few things that I'm proud of, but at the end of the day, it all comes down to the fact that we're still relevant to basketball gamers, and the companies developing basketball games. I'm proud that our modding community is still going and that we can offer both hosting services and a platform to promote that work, I'm proud that we've been able to develop an array of original content that I'm looking forward to expanding, and I'm proud that we both know people at EA Sports and Visual Concepts, and are known to people at those companies. I'm proud that we're still around and still doing good things after 21 years.

I was at a community event for NBA Live 16 a couple of years ago, the first one I'd been flown in for in a few years. That was obviously a big deal in and of itself, but on the ride to the studio, one of the YouTubers was talking about all the great mods over at the NLSC. I replied that I was quite familiar with all that, seeing as I was the person running the NLSC! He was very complimentary of the site and the community's work, and I obviously felt very proud about that. So again, it's the fact that we're still here, still making good content, and that we're a relevant resource and community for basketball gamers.

The fact that we've been able to launch a couple of people's careers in the industry is also awesome. I'm proud of my friends, and happy for their success.

What are my biggest regrets when it comes to running the NLSC?

You always look back and wonder how you could've done something differently, handled a situation better, or whatever. There are a couple of things that I've talked about before, but they still stand out as my biggest regrets when I reflect upon my time running the NLSC.

The first is not being more decisive when dealing with some of the more difficult members over the years. In trying to avoid an ugly confrontation or upset people, there were times when I wasn't direct or decisive enough. There were times when I should've put my foot down and just dealt with the fallout then and there, because after a while the problem came to a head and those people were upset and caused a scene anyway. It's harder to do when you're young - I did take over the site a couple of months before my 17th birthday - and it's something you learn as you get older and have more experience dealing with people in a professional setting. Looking back at those incidents, I realise that some people were difficult and weren't going to be happy unless I did everything they wanted, exactly how and when they wanted it to be done, but I should've been more assertive. Again, it's something you grow into with a bit more life experience.

The second is the incident where I clashed with someone who had asked if they could take over my old site, the NBA Live Domain, shortly after I closed it to focus my energies on the NLSC. I declined, but they went ahead and made a new site with my old NLD graphics and content, and taunted me about it. I basically encouraged the community to bully the person into stopping what they were doing, which they did. The person was remorseful and I tried to offer my support when they attempted other ventures in the community, but their reputation had already been ruined. You might say that they brought it on themselves, but my handling of the situation wasn't appropriate either. I'm not exactly sure how I'd handle the situation today, but I'd like to think I'd come up with something more diplomatic; especially with the way cyber-bullying has become such an issue. Even when you're in the right, you can handle the situation the wrong way. That's what that experience taught me.

What is the easiest content to create? What is the hardest? Which is the most and least enjoyable?

The easiest content that I create these days is the NLSC Podcast. Basically, it's just a matter of jumping on Skype with Ben, Kenny, and anyone else involved, and recording the conversation. You build a rapport with each other and build a format, so there isn't really a lot of work involved aside from compiling topics and organising your thoughts about what you want to say. If there's something that needs to be cut, I note the timestamp, and take care of it while I'm performing other post-production tasks. There was a bit more work involved when we were doing the trivia segment because I was adding in sound effects, but even then, it was fun because I like doing the podcast and those effects spiced up the segment.

The hardest of the regular features is The Friday Five, for a few reasons. First of all, I need a good topic, and since it's my longest running feature, I've already covered a lot of suitable ones. Second, it's a more rigid format that requires five relevant points or items in a list or countdown, which I'll talk about in two paragraphs. Even if I have an interesting topic idea, getting the five points may be tough; either I'll have trouble thinking of five, or it'll be hard to narrow it down to five. Sometimes two paragraphs doesn't feel like enough, while other times it's hard to fill those two paragraphs with relevant commentary. I do like doing the Five though, and it's very satisfying when I get a topic and five points/items that I'm really happy with.

I want to make some more videos and I've been getting some footage recently for that very purpose, but outside of modding projects, they're definitely the longest to create. They're not hard per se, but it takes a while to get the footage you want, script the voiceover, record the voiceover (sometimes requiring quite a few takes!), put it all together the way you want, export, and finally upload it.

In terms of the modding, I did enjoy making the roster updates for NBA Live, but it was definitely a love-hate relationship at times, especially towards the end. They're fun to make, but they're a lot of work, and the older a game gets, the harder it is to justify the time and effort. I like to do a bit of modding here and there, but I'll admit I'm mostly focused on other original content these days, while curating our Downloads section and resources.

What do you like most about our community?

I love our creativity, our resourcefulness. Again, it's one of the things I'm really proud about when it comes to the NLSC and our community. We have a genuine passion for basketball gaming and modding, and I think we create great content based on that passion. I think we're pretty friendly, welcoming, and helpful for the most part. We can always get better, but I think we do a good job of providing guides for new modders, giving each other advice, and avoiding a toxic atmosphere. We can have heated discussions, but we're generally drama-free.

I think we've grown up in that respect. Every now and again I look back at some of the topics from a long time ago, and it occurs to me that we've mostly grown out of some of the drama we used to have. We've probably gotten better at defining the rules over the years and establishing a tone and atmosphere that lets people speak their mind without feeling like the ban hammer is looming above their heads, while also establishing some reasonable ground rules. I think we've become better at talking through issues with people and making it known that they can approach us about those issues, and the community has responded favourably to that.

What would you change about our community?

Over the years, we've shied away from discussion a bit. After a couple of months of a game being out, a lot of the discussion is simply about modding and the releases coming out. There's nothing wrong with that discussion, but we used to have more discussions about what we're playing, what strategies we're using, and what we want to see in future games, with in-depth ideas being posted. We are a modding community, but we're more than that. We're a gaming community, so I'd like to see us discussing the games in-depth, whether it's good or bad. I know there's only so much you can say after a while, and it's easy to get burned out on the discussions, but I'd like to see us talk about that stuff. I'd also like to start more discussions with the feature articles I write, get more comment threads going with them over on the front page.

I'd also like to see a bit more activity in the off-topic sections, but it's important to remember that those sections were originally created because people were starting to talk about the real NBA and other stuff in the gaming sections, so the decision was made in the original forum that off-topic sections would be appropriate. It's obviously not the focus of the site, and the off-topic sections are there for the convenience of those who want to discuss off-topic stuff with other members of this community, as well as those who no longer play basketball video games but want to stick around to talk to familiar people about other mutual interests. Basketball video gaming content and discussion is always going to be the priority and focus, but I would like to see some of that fun off-topic discussion brought back.

Maybe it's just a general trend when it comes to forums/message boards, especially with the rise of social media, but it's something I'd like to encourage and bring back nevertheless.

What are your biggest pet peeves?

I really hate passive-aggressive behaviour. Not just in the context of online interactions, but in general. I just find it to be really childish. Just treat other people with some respect, bring up your concerns and criticisms like an adult. Especially if you are an adult! It's one thing if a fifteen year old still has a bit of growing up to do, but if you're in your mid 20s or older, it's definitely time to drop the attitude and talk to people like you would in any other setting, how you'd like to be spoken to.

Trying too hard to be funny with every post is kind of grating. It's not that I think we need to be super serious with every single post, but when every post tries to be a joke, the less funny the posts end up being. Timing is everything in comedy, and jokes can get run into the ground really fast online. I love comedy, I appreciate a good joke, and we've had some members who can break out great one liners, funny rants, and all that stuff. That makes the place fun. However, you've got to feel the room, you've got to have good timing. If everything tries to be funny, then usually none of it ends up being anywhere near as hilarious as it could've been.

It's also a shame when veteran community members become jaded. Sometimes, people lose interest in a community, and it's really no one's fault. They're just not into the hobby anymore, or the people they used to talk to the most have moved on, or maybe the general vibe of the community has sort of passed them by and they don't feel as relevant or engaged. As such, they don't really want to be here, but they won't (or can't) move on, either. They're the ones who complain about things not being like the old days and that it isn't fun anymore, that there aren't enough people posting, but they won't really do anything constructive about it, or make the place seem more welcoming to new members. I'd like to make things better for them, but sometimes what they want just isn't feasible, so I end up wishing they'd either find a way to cheer up or move on. It doesn't happen too often, but again, it's a shame when it does.

What are some of the most fun and gratifying moments you've had running the NLSC?

I do enjoy creating content, be it feature articles, the podcast, videos, or mods. Being able to take part in community events has been an amazing experience. It's given me a fascinating insight into the development of video games, and confirmation that the developers are really listening. We may not always get what we want, at least straight away, but they're paying attention to us. It makes the effort of Wishlists and articles feel worthwhile.

More specifically, when we record the podcast, there's a lot of joking around and camaraderie. It's been great getting to know some of the guys who work on the site more personally, and I'm looking forward to being able to meet Ben and Kenny in person, hopefully in the not too distant future. It'll be fun to actually record a podcast in the same room! Getting Tim on the show for the 100th episode was also really cool. I always felt a sense of accomplishment when I released a new roster update or some other modding project, and I get the same gratification from the original content I've been focusing on for the past few years. I do enjoy the challenge of coming up with new and engaging articles and content.

The running jokes we've come up with in the Forum have been fun, even if we have explain to the occasional newbie that no, we're not being serious about calling certain players the Greatest of All-Time. There's been some great banter over the years, whether it's discussions about the video games, the real NBA, or other stuff. Again, that's why I'd like to really get some activity going throughout the Forum again. I think we still have some great members with a lot of interesting things to say and discuss, so I encourage everyone to get involved in posting about what they want to talk about...in the relevant sections, of course!

As I said before, I'm very proud of what we've accomplished, and the fact that we're still relevant. Having an audience that's interested in the original content and the content the modding community creates, as well as having some connections at EA and 2K, makes everything we do worthwhile. It's also very gratifying that some of our staff have gone on to work in the industry. As I said, I'm really proud of them, and happy that their dreams have come true. I'm glad that in some way, I've been able to be a part of that, and that my friends have found success.

Why do you post so much?

Being the admin, I've had a lot of posts that involve sharing news and announcements, as well as moderating discussions. Apart from that, I post because I enjoy it! I enjoy talking to my fellow basketball fans and gamers about our common interests. I know the people here, and have had many enjoyable discussions with long-time members. Also, people are nicer to you when you've got a grip on the ban hammer. Sometimes, anyway!

In terms of being an admin who posts a lot, I like being visible. There may come a time when I do have to take more of a backseat and focus more on technical maintenance while others create most of the content, but right now, I plan to keep doing what I'm doing for the foreseeable future. The NLSC is a fun creative outlet for me, and a good way to connect to people who share one of my main hobbies and interests. I like being a part of the community, and in terms of having connections with folks at EA Sports and Visual Concepts, I can do a much better job representing the community if I'm actively involved with it. If I'm going to represent a community, then I need to be a part of it.

What's it like getting involved in discussions here, compared to posting at other sites where you're not an admin?

It's something that I've had to develop and it's gotten easier as I've grown older and (hopefully) matured, but I try to be careful not to wear the admin hat when I'm involved in a discussion. If I need to intervene in that capacity then I certainly will, but if I'm just involved in the discussion, it's important that people know they can disagree with my point of view. We're talking to each other and debating, just like anyone else in the Forum. As long as we keep it relatively civil, even if it's a bit heated, then no harm, no foul.

Of course, in that respect, there are times when I probably let a few things that come my way slide. If I put my admin hat on in the middle of a heated discussion where someone is responding to me in a way that dances the line of acceptable conduct, it's going to look like I'm doing it to win the argument, which sets a precedent of "don't disagree with the admins, only their opinion is welcome". That's not the kind of atmosphere I want to cultivate here at the NLSC, so at times I have let a few things slide. I'd compare it to Shaq absorbing a lot of hard hits because it went unnoticed by the referees due to his size. There is a line where I will say "hey, not cool, let's dial it back a bit", but it can be difficult to do that in a middle of a discussion you're involved in. I feel it's a necessary sacrifice so as not to be a draconian admin.

I don't post much elsewhere, but I do like to check out other communities and get involved from time to time. Seeing how other people are running their sites and forums helps me gain and keep a perspective that I believe helps me do a better and fairer job as an admin here. Nothing annoys me more than when I see nasty moderating at another site, and only strengthens my resolve not to do the same in our community.

Do you read other people's private messages?

Come on, what kind of a paranoid question is that?

Actually, I do vaguely remember someone asking me about that once. The answer is no. I can't actually read any private messages that aren't reported using the Report PM function, and frankly, I have no desire to. I know there are add-ons for phpBB that would allow me to do it, but we're not using one, and I won't be installing one. I believe private messages should remain private, and while that does run the risk of people using the system to circumvent the rules, I'd rather trust the honour system and rely on reported messages to deal with that, as the situation presents itself. I've heard of other admins snooping on private messages, and I don't think that's cool at all. That's not the way I want to do things.

Care to throw any banned members under the bus?

Nah, not really. I know I alluded to difficult members earlier on, and there have been a few of those over the years, but I don't think it's dignified to dig up ancient history, naming names and trashing them now. Beyond that, I don't think they should get the attention! It's one of the reasons we stopped posting a public Banned List. I was always kind of uncomfortable with the idea; it had its use in letting people know about individuals who were banned (potentially answering any "What happened to ____?" questions) and demonstrating reasons that people can get banned from the NLSC Forum, but it also drew attention to them and ran the risk of making us look smug and power-mad. We experimented with it a couple of times, but ultimately, we've preferred to show people the door with a minimum of fuss and drama. The whole reason we're doing that is because of the fuss and drama they were causing in the first place, so I prefer the approach of quietly escorting them off the premises, so to speak.

There's no dignity in telling any juicy stories here, and most of them are the same anyway. Rude person overstays their welcome, gets shown the door, rants abusively at me via email. I will say though, it is nice that so many banned members are concerned that my life is terrible, and that I'm sad and clearly unloved. That's not actually the case, and definitely not the reason why they were banned - it was their own doing, believe it or not - but I do thank them for their concern about my well-being.

What's been the toughest thing you've dealt with while running the NLSC?

In the early days, when I was making a few mistakes because I needed to develop my dispute resolution skills and made decisions I wouldn't if I had more maturity and experience, I did rub some people the wrong way. There was a time when I wasn't popular, and I have to accept some responsibility there. Again, some people were difficult and unwilling to give me a second chance, but I also handled things badly as well. There were a couple of times when I came close to quitting, because I was really finding the whole thing stressful and the clashes I was having with people were quite draining. Fortunately, I was able to come to an understanding with at least some of the people, and I think we all grew up and got past our issues in the long run.

Dealing with technical issues is never fun. When we were hosted by Gamespy - not a good time in our history, incidentally - we were out of commission for a while after a server crash. We've moved a couple of times since, and those were stressful. Last year's move was the worst, because it honestly looked like we'd either have to shut down or seriously scale back our involvement. Fortunately, that all worked out, and we expect to be around for a while yet as I said before. It was tough though, and I wondered whether it was time to pull the plug. It was also kind of a tough time for me personally for reasons that I won't get into and fortunately have been worked out since, but yeah, it wasn't a fun couple of months. It was a huge relief when all that was sorted out.

How much longer will you run the NLSC?

Trying to get rid of me already? Honestly, tough to say. I keep saying "a while yet", because I still enjoy doing it. So...a while yet! When the time comes to scale back my involvement and basically just do things behind the scenes, that's what I'll do. Right now, I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing.

What are your worst habits when it comes to the NLSC?

Having a bunch of ideas, making it too hard to focus on one of them. There are some cool things I'd really like to do before 2017 is over. It's just a matter of making time for them, and sitting down and getting them done! Procrastination is a bad habit of mine.

Also, I have a tendency to overuse the word "interesting" on the podcast, and the words "definitely" and "certainly" in my articles. I'd certainly like to make my features more interesting, and that definitely means finding some other words to use.

What words do other people overuse?

Hater(s), fanboy(s), cartoonish, shook, destroyed, LOL, SMH. I definitely think they're overused, and certainly believe people need to find more interesting words to express themselves.

What are your best habits when it comes to the NLSC?

Well, I'm around a fair bit, aren't I? We haven't missed a daily update since December 31st, 2006 (though our current archives only go back to August 2011). Procrastination aside, I feel I've been pretty dedicated when it comes to staying on top of the file additions bulletins and the original content. I guess you could say I'm pretty committed.

Which is worse: signing Ben Wallace, trading Jimmy Butler, or drafting the likes of Tony Snell and Doug McDermott?

#FireGarPax.

Any final words for this, your 100,000th post?

Damn, it's a lot of posts, isn't it? And the funny thing is, there are people in other communities with so many more. Hey, if you enjoy the conversation and being a part of a community, so be it! For all the ups and downs, it's been a fun ride. I'm glad I accepted the position all those years ago when Tim took a job at EA and Lutz and Brien were looking to scale back their involvement, and that I stuck it out through the rough times. It's been very rewarding.

Thank you again to my staff, to our community, to everyone who has supported the site in some way, from regular visits to the kind donations we've had following our big move last year. It's really humbling and heartwarming that people care so much about the site, and enjoy the time here. Again, it makes the effort I put into it all worthwhile, and I'm sure that other members of the NLSC Team and our modding community feel the same way.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: 100,000

Postby Arcane on Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:39 am

Congratulations on not just the 100,000th post but all the hard work you have done for the NLSC over the past 16 years since Tim handed the reigns over to you. You have an outstanding amount of work for the community from roster updates for the NBA Live series, admin the site, being the sites podcast host and editor (sorry about the extra work on that editing with somethings I've said over the years), to writing and preparing all the daily news articles and representing the community at events. I know the work hasn't been easy and that you have given up so much of your time to do these things. It has been a privilege getting to know you and working with you over the last 14-15 years I believe now(man how time flies). I have seen you been tested but you always stand strong and get things done even when at times it has taken so much out of you.

I am looking forward to the day we can cheers a beer together in person mate. I have always appreciated that you can be someone I rely on for guidance and support when times have been tough for myself I only hope I have the returned the favour in kind.
Arcane
The NLSC's Jim Jefferies
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:58 am

Appreciate it, Ben. It's been great getting to know you too, and we'll definitely need to meet up for those beers in the not too distant future. Again, appreciate your work on the site, and your friendship.

And don't worry about the Podcast editing. We both know that it's Leftos' potty mouth that's given me the most trouble. :P
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:01 am

Congratulations Andrew! Great write-up, for whatever reason I am a sucker for milestone posts. (Y) (Y)
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:15 am

You've got that old school posting mentality Jon, just like me. Thanks man. (Y)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:22 am

Congratulations!

I know I am still kind of a newbie (only a little over 3 years now), but I can truly appreciate the way you run this site. I got hooked in 2014 after discovering the UBR, but I never would have stayed, or created content for the site, if it hadn't been run so eloquently.

Thank you for all you do, it's really appreciated.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:00 am

Thanks for the kind words, and your contributions too!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Old friend on Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:26 am

Great space, great group of guys, great forum...
Thx Andy. (Y)
Better then ever! :D
Old friend

Postby [Q] on Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:57 am

You are such a hater of the fanboys here that love the cartoonish look of NBA Live's graphics that are getting destroyed by 2K LOL SMH

Herky Jerky.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Jackal on Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:22 am

Congrats on the milestone. We've been through some times on this site, but you're basically the Tim Duncan of this place. Or maybe the Kareem given the post count. It would suck without seeing that red colored name having posted in a bunch of threads.

Congrats once again and hopefully to quite a few more years. :chug:
Jackal

Postby shadowgrin on Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:24 am

100k posts and 18? years as site admin yet still no answer to the question of, "will it shock or freeze?"

Everyone here in The NLSC is a stupid piece of paper.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby el badman on Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:39 am

Congrats Andrew, and thanks for all you do. I'll drink to that :chug:
El Badmanator VI: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @3.7GHz, Nvidia GTX 3090 24GB; Acer Predator XB273K 4K 27"Monitor; Samsung NVMe EVO 970 1TB / Samsung EVO Pro 500GS SSD; Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite; T-Force RAM DDR4-4000 32GB RAM; EVGA G5 850W PSU; Corsair iCUE H100i CPU Liquid Cooler; Razer DeathAdder Chroma wireless gaming mouse; HyperX Cloud Flight S wireless headset; Logitech G560 speakers; Razer Black Widow v3 mechanical keyboard; PS5 Dualsense controller; Rosewill Cullinan V500 gaming case; Windows 10 Pro 64bit
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby Andrew on Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:50 pm

Old friend wrote:Great space, great group of guys, great forum...
Thx Andy. (Y)

Always good to hear. Thank you!

[Q] wrote:You are such a hater of the fanboys here that love the cartoonish look of NBA Live's graphics that are getting destroyed by 2K LOL SMH

Herky Jerky.

I'm shook.

Jackal wrote:Congrats on the milestone. We've been through some times on this site, but you're basically the Tim Duncan of this place. Or maybe the Kareem given the post count. It would suck without seeing that red colored name having posted in a bunch of threads.

Congrats once again and hopefully to quite a few more years. :chug:

Appreciate it. More years to come, indeed.

shadowgrin wrote:100k posts and 18? years as site admin yet still no answer to the question of, "will it shock or freeze?"

Everyone here in The NLSC is a stupid piece of paper.

Obviously, it's both. One after the other.

el badman wrote:Congrats Andrew, and thanks for all you do. I'll drink to that :chug:

Thanks!

So, here's another Q&A story...

What was the deal with GameSpy back in the day?

I think I may have told the story before, but I'll certainly tell it again. Around the time I was getting ready to take over as webmaster/admin of the NLSC, the site was also moving to GameSpy, which were hosting a lot of sports video game websites under their Sportplanet branding. The upside? Free hosting. The downside? Well, it was one of those cases where you definitely get what you pay for.

First of all, they wouldn't let us use our nba-live.com domain name. Instead, it had to redirect to sportplanet.com/nbalive. Good for their branding, terrible for ours. Second, web pages were stored on one server, content like the Forum and Downloads section had to be hosted on a different server, and downloads themselves needed to be stored on FilePlanet (which required a login to download), or elsewhere. So, providing patches was more difficult, we couldn't use our domain name, and we therefore couldn't use any handy subdomains, like forums.nba-live.com. We also couldn't even use sportplanet.com/nbalive/forums; it was dynamic2.gamespy.com/~nbalive/phpBB2 (though, the phpBB2 part was admittedly my fault; I could've and should've named the directory forums). To use a content management system for the front page, I had to host it on the dynamic2 server, and embed it on the front page using an iframe. Not especially difficult, but kind of inelegant and sloppy. Getting new FTP accounts was a chore, and it felt like everything was a makeshift solution.

I was also introduced to a contact at GameSpy, who promised all kinds of wonderful things in terms of content management software and such. None of that ever materialised. After making all those promises, I was subsequently told that I was on my own in that regard. I did ask the GameSpy tech support department various questions about stuff I was new to - before that, I'd only ever uploaded basic HTML files to Yahoo! Geocities, so I knew nothing about CHMOD and the like - and they always told me it wasn't their job to help me with that stuff. In fairness it wasn't an issue directly related to their service, but they were so blunt about it, and didn't even try to point me in the right direction. Having worked in technical support in the years that followed, I now have even more disdain for their attitude and unwillingness to offer even the tiniest bit of advice outside their scope of support. Once we were on the network, they didn't want to know us.

So, we got by as best we could. Then, one day, I noticed that a new basketball gaming website is promoting itself as sportplanet.com/nbalive/(whatever). I take a look, and sure enough, they're now hosted under our folder on sportplanet.com! I wasn't consulted or informed about this before it happened, so naturally I asked GameSpy about it. They told me it was to keep all the basketball video gaming content on their network in the one place. Fair enough, but what if it clashed with the NLSC's brand? What if we had a bitter history with them, or simply didn't want to seem associated with them for whatever reason, since it would look like we were hosting them? GameSpy were kind of sheepish when I brought this up and offered to kick them out, but in the end I didn't want to be a dick about it, so I said fine, whatever. It just felt so unprofessional though, and it was clear they didn't give a damn about us.

The final straw was when the dynamic2 server crashed, which meant the Forum, Downloads section, and content management system went offline. I think we were basically out of commission for about a month, which obviously didn't help us stay relevant and produce new content. To date, it's the longest break I've had since 2001 in terms of working on the site, because there was nothing I could do except check in every day to see if it was back up and running. When we finally got back online, it was business as usual, but I started looking for other hosting options, eventually finding one that worked out for a while. We've moved a couple of times since, and always been treated a lot better.

Probably the best thing I can say about GameSpy is that they did provide us with free hosting as long as we needed them to, and that kept the site alive (the crash aside) until a better solution came along. I was still learning the ropes, and as I alluded to before, made some mistakes with the way I handled certain situations and came off looking like the bad guy as a result. Again, I do have to own that. It didn't help that the hosting was so lousy in its setup, to say nothing of the way the network treated us, so the first few years running the site were not as enjoyable as the decade that followed. With that in mind, maybe the best thing I can say about GameSpy is that we don't have to deal with them anymore.

I kind of enjoy the irony that GameSpy shut down in 2013, and we're still going. It's a shame for the games and their users who relied on GameSpy's servers for multiplayer, but after all the hassle I went through dealing with their website hosting network, I'll admit that I feel a bit of schadenfreude, a bit of vindication in the fact that we outlasted them.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Valor on Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:51 pm

Congratulations on this amazing milestone Andrew! Closing in on the two decade mark as Admin as well and as someone who discovered the site about 10 years ago I can honestly say I've enjoyed every bit of it. NLSC has always been a go to place when I need some info on basketball video games, finding some mods in the Live days, talk about basketball in general, or (more recently), rant about the Bulls in the thread. Site is definitely well run and very enjoyable due to your management, hopefully we'll all still be here in another 16 years! :chug:

Oh and yes, #FireGarPax 8-)
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Andrew on Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:28 pm

Thanks Leo, much appreciated! Always nice to hear. It's also always great to get on and chat with you while we play some 2K Pro-Am. #NLSCTHRILLHO
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Axel The Great on Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:00 am

Cheers to 100K, Andrew. Interesting self-Q&A milestone post; I've certainly read some of those stories before but it definitely never hurts to read them again. :lol:

I haven't posted very often the past few years but I have really enjoyed the community here. Originally joined the site to discuss NBA Live 10, and I stayed because of the story threads. The vibe in both the story threads and off-topic sections is great, and that's thanks in large part to the site Admin that fosters such a great online culture. (Y)
Axel The Great
Visible Confusion

Postby Lamrock on Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:05 am

I've been on this message board for half my life.. Thank you for putting so much into keeping this site going. It's helped me through some hard times. Here's to 200K. :chug:
Lamrock

Postby Andrew on Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:10 am

Axel. wrote:Cheers to 100K, Andrew. Interesting self-Q&A milestone post; I've certainly read some of those stories before but it definitely never hurts to read them again. :lol:

I haven't posted very often the past few years but I have really enjoyed the community here. Originally joined the site to discuss NBA Live 10, and I stayed because of the story threads. The vibe in both the story threads and off-topic sections is great, and that's thanks in large part to the site Admin that fosters such a great online culture. (Y)

Lamrock wrote:I've been on this message board for half my life.. Thank you for putting so much into keeping this site going. It's helped me through some hard times. Here's to 200K. :chug:

Thanks fellas! That's always humbling and encouraging to hear. :)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Stress Fracture on Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:52 am

Andrew wrote:Which is worse: signing Ben Wallace, trading Jimmy Butler, or drafting the likes of Tony Snell and Doug McDermott?

#FireGarPax.

Forgot about Marquis Teague SMH

Congrats on 100k! Definitely some of them are :spam: posts

:seriouscat:
benji wrote:LeBron is such a choker. And people were talking about him as an all-time great. As having possibly surpassed Kobe. What a joke.

velvet bliss wrote:Andrew, you the real MVP.

Andrew wrote:He who flops and flails to the Finals and a title, flops and flails best.
Stress Fracture

Postby Andrew on Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:55 am

I always do forget about Teague. Goes to show how much of an impact he had.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby bigh0rt on Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:50 am

bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:59 am

Party on!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Kenny on Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:25 pm

I'm a bit late to the party, but congratulations on surpassing 100K. This has been a great community to be apart of, and that's largely due to how you have run it. :chug:

I'll even let that Tony Snell remark slide... for now.
Kenny
Thon Maker's Biggest Fan.
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:47 pm

Hey, Snell's proving me wrong...in your MyLEAGUE reality, at any rate! Thanks man. (Y)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby formx on Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:51 pm

Who would you pick between these former players to eventually replace Fred Hoiberg as coach of the Chicago Bulls?

Shawn Respert, Eric Snow, Vince Carter (when he retires), or Jerry Stackhouse?

PhatGeezer wrote:NovU, you're a fantasy bball hero to me and all but I don't know why whenever I see you post in this thread it reminds me of me checking my balls for bumps whenever I see those testicular cancer awareness ads on tv... Once I felt nothing unusual on it, I know everything will be fine...
formx

Next

Return to Off-Topic