Resident Evil VII

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Resident Evil VII

Postby Lamrock on Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:09 pm

Glad that's not me...

I know I could have just posted about this in the free time's demise thread, but here's a thread anyway. This game is seriously awesome. Only about halfway through it, but I'm pretty impressed. After RE6 was trash and Revelations 2 pretty mediocre, my expectations were low, but this game is actually scary.

It takes elements from the earlier games, but has a first-person perspective and modern technology. I can't describe it well, but it's cool. Very suspenseful
Lamrock

Re: Resident Evil VII

Postby [Q] on Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:37 am

I've never played a game in the series until they gave the first one for free on psn. Have me anxiety knowing that saves were limited. Wound up giving up pretty quickly
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lamrock on Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:05 am

You have unlimited saves in RE7 as well as checkpoints, a design choice I honestly disagree with. Those limited saves mean you actually worry about dying, and so there's a sense of dread at what might be around the corner.

However, that's just the standard for games nowadays. I remember playing The Last of Us, and at times just running past all the enemies, eventually dying, but re-spawning three checkpoints further than I started.
Lamrock

Postby [Q] on Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:10 am

Ha that is true. Games like uncharted and last of us have no repercussions for dying. You just pick up right where you left off. It actually is counter-intuitive to their movie-style game as a movie doesn't repeat the same part again. I guess that's just how they used to make games vs how they do it nowadays

I actually thought about this as I was playing the new hitman game. I didn't like how they gave you hints and held your hand and I thought about how I used to play the old ones and had to die over and over again trying to figure out the level
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Return to Off-Topic