WWE 2K17

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

WWE 2K17

Postby Andrew on Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:24 am

So, we know that Goldberg's in the game.

phpBB [video]

"Suplex City" sign reflected in the window at 1:09.
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Release Threads: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Threads: NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
No context necessary.
Administrator

Re: WWE 2K17

Postby [Q] on Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:16 pm

Hopefully the biggest omission (the 4 horsewomen) will make it in this year. Would be cool to see Shane return or have a 2016 Shane
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Optimist
NLSC Team Member

Postby Oznogrd on Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:03 am

Goldberg being in isnt a bad thing. I just hope they dont bring him back for a match against Triple H at wrestlemania 33
Oznogrd
Gummy bears are stupid and delicious!

Postby [Q] on Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:04 pm

phpBB [video]

NXT edition. Interesting move. will these 3 characters be exclusive or will they be paid DLC for regular editions?

and SHINSUKE!!
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Optimist
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:44 pm

Assuming there's a PC version with all the DLC again, I'm thinking I might wait this time around, and get that when it's on sale.
Release Threads: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Threads: NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
No context necessary.
Administrator

Postby Lean on Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:00 pm

I think some of Shinsuke's signature moves are in 2K16: Good Vibrations and Boma Ye to name a few.
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:22 am

Some hands-on impressions

Better responsiveness is good, the ability to perform a post-match beatdown is a nice touch if you want to play the heel full-tilt. Nothing about the often cheap AI though, which remains my biggest frustration with recent WWE games.

I'll likely go ahead and pre-order, though I'm not sure I'll double-dip on PC in a few month's time, unless I really like the game and there's some good DLC that'd be cheaper to pick up in the form of a "definitive" PC version.

Andrew
No context necessary.
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:09 pm

Gameplay trailer.

phpBB [video]

Andrew
No context necessary.
Administrator

Postby Lean on Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:15 pm

You beat me to it!

I like how the game is already outdated with the brand split and new arenas for both shows, which is understandable given the time the brand split was done. Yet I wish that the devs would give time and create updates for the game.

Also, I don't like the "2K" on Brock's shorts.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:13 pm

It's unfortunate, but inevitable giving how late in the development cycle the brand split came into effect. It would've been nice if it could've been somehow accounted for, but they've got their deadlines, after all.

Andrew
No context necessary.
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:46 am

Copy arrived today, just downloading the 11 GB Day 1 patch. Jeez.

Andrew
No context necessary.
Administrator

Postby Lean on Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:44 pm

I hope that patch includes fixed entrances for those wrestlers that have horrendously mo-capped entrances *cough* Sasha Banks *cough*
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:31 pm

Finally got around to playing the game today. A few initial impressions:

GOOD

• Gameplay is very fun for the most part. It's possible to have some good back and forth for some epic matches.
  • Being able to attack during entrances and deliver post-match beatdowns is awesome.
  • Some of the random run-ins really make it feel like a WWE show. While trying to beatdown Sheamus with Brock Lesnar after winning a match, Undertaker ran in, chokeslammed him and delivered the Tombstone. I could've fought him off, but I kind of just let it happen, as it felt more fun, and reminded me of their feud last year.
  • Run-ins can happen on both sides during the same match. Managers and run-ins can help out with timely distractions, and can also get ejected.
  • The presentation is probably the best it's ever been, from entrances to title match introductions and camera cuts.
  • The expanded Creations and editing suite is fantastic. The only thing missing is Create-a-Finisher.
  • They've taken an old school approach to unlockables, where you purchase them with in-game currency, in any order you like.
  • You're given 200,000 VC right out of the gate to unlock a few things. With a five star rating, you can earn up to around 9000 VC for a single match.
  • It's a pretty deep and comprehensive roster of current wrestlers, and big names from the 80s and 90s.
  • You can have multiple managers, which is cool for a stable like the Wyatt Family.
  • Incidentally, when you pick another member of the Wyatt family and have the rest of the stable accompany him, Bray leads them to the ring. Again, there's a lot of authenticity in the presentation.

BAD

• AI is still very cheap at times. It's possible to beat the hell out of your opponent, only to have them kick out, come back, hit a couple of moves and their finisher, and be left in a situation where it's virtually impossible to kick out (and you probably won't). They also escape submission holds rather easily. You'll suffer some ridiculous losses this way.
  • There' seems to be an issue when you back out to the title screen from the main menu and the game has trouble connecting to the server, which results in the main menu taking ages to load. Because it's easy enough to back out too far when navigating the menus, it's rather annoying.
  • Still no importing of custom music for created wrestlers. It could be to avoid licensing issues at this point, especially in terms of getting the files into the game, but I do miss it. The selection of generic music is OK, but still not great.
  • Aside from the wrestlers walking across the screen, the main menu isn't very visually appealing. It's a fairly clean design and easy to use (the aforementioned issue aside), but it looks kind of...beta? Placeholder? Plain? It's not a huge deal, but it's not quite up to the rest of the presentation.

IN THE MIDDLE/OTHER OBSERVATIONS

• The lack of a Showcase this year makes the game a little light on single player modes. There's WWE Universe and MyCAREER, which should satisfy most people and be fun enough, but it feels like there should be a bit more.
  • It's a shame the brand split happened too late to be reflected in the game, though you could certainly set it up in WWE Universe, especially with the Create-a-Championship function.
  • There's an option for "Gameplay Manual" in the main menu that just tells you to check out the full manual online. To me that feels pretty useless, but I guess it's a handy reminder for anyone who doesn't realise they can find it there.

Andrew
No context necessary.
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:53 pm

What a great roster of wrestlers. Seeming perfect minus Owen Hart. Cool to see the whole Hart Foundation together, plus Nattie & Kidd. Plus, you can finally play as Bret vs Goldberg and give him a mule kick for revenge. Also, cool to see Curtis Axel able to be teamed up with his father Mr. Perfect who was one of my favorite wrestlers of all time. 01 Jericho is a nice touch who was also one of my favorites.

As much as 2K loves to get the little details in the game, some entrances were mostly right with a few minor differences, probably due to animation limitations or simply just how they mo capped it. I read TJ Perkins actually did some of the mo cap for them, so maybe they'll have his moves in the game? Maybe a DLC down the line? I could see them doing a Cruiserweight DLC
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Optimist
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:22 pm

There's apparently a fair bit of DLC coming with the Season Pass, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's in there.

Andrew
No context necessary.
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:34 pm

man this roster almost makes me want to buy this game. i always run into the problem of loving the roster and not enjoying the game play though
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:37 pm

What have been your biggest complaints with gameplay in recent years?

Andrew
No context necessary.
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:03 am

i cant say i have any real complaint i just never play the game long. i get it, play the hell out of it for a week then pretty much never touch it again
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:10 am

I've kind of been the same way with a couple of recent iterations of the game. The lack of a Showcase in this year's game does remove some incentive to keep playing, but I just started a WWE Universe game and had some fun booking shows and setting up feuds, so that's what might keep the game in the rotation this year.

Andrew
No context necessary.
Administrator

Postby Lean on Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:35 am

I hope they fixed the "save failed" issue which I encountered again for a second time in 2K16. Read somewhere that was an issue since 2K15. What I don't understand about their auto save system is that why it erases everything when it failed to save when the proper logic is to attempt to save again on the next auto save point.

Also read somewhere that there's an 11GB day one patch. I hope that included new entrance animations some superstars *cough* Sasha *cough*.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:53 am

I mentioned that above. Oddly enough, when I paused the update and restarted it to try and speed up the download, it started a brand new download of a 7 GB update. So it looks like the Day 1 patch is 7 GB, similar to the recent NBA 2K17 updates.

Andrew
No context necessary.
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:10 am

i still think i need a game thats pure sim. where you sim every single part of the wwe. i like the wrestlers but i never stay interested in the gameplay
Sauru

Postby [Q] on Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:21 am

There was that popular wrestling manager game where you did that. I'm sure they could do a myFederation mode where you can do that
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Optimist
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:24 am

WWE Universe mode kind of lets you do that. You can sim the matches if you so desire, while setting up feuds, managing the titles, and so on. It is meant to be played more than simmed, but a sim function is there.

Andrew
No context necessary.
Administrator

Postby koberulz on Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:48 am

How does it compare to 2k15?
koberulz
Everything I say is false.

Postby Andrew on Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:03 am

I'd say that I like it more, but as I said, the lack of a Showcase does detract from the experience somewhat. I still find that the AI is a bit cheesy, probably not significantly better than the last couple of games, but certainly no worse. The promo system that's in WWE Universe and MyCAREER is pretty cool.

Andrew
No context necessary.
Administrator

Postby koberulz on Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:50 pm

Was Showcase in 2k15? I can't remember, it's been almost two years since I've touched it. How's the creation suite? I do remember that being very limited.
koberulz

Postby Andrew on Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:51 am

Yeah, 2K15 had a Showcase as well. The Creation Suite is probably the best it's ever been; the only thing missing is Create-a-Finisher. My biggest gripes are probably that selecting hair and eye colours is a bit of a chore, since you need to manually set the hue. That should be an option of course, but there aren't any default presets for eye colours and common hair colours. That's how it's always been though, so I'm not too surprised. Overall, it's pretty comprehensive.

Andrew
No context necessary.
Administrator

Postby bigh0rt on Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:55 pm

Andrew, do you have it for PC or console? Never owned one of these and considering buying, but not sure which avenue to go. Is it worth getting the PC for modding, and is it easy to mod?
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:36 pm

Console. The PC version always comes out much later, usually with all the DLC of the Season Pass for PS4 and X1. I have double-dipped with the PC version, but I haven't actually checked out the modding scene. As I understand it though, the only tools cost money.

Andrew
No context necessary.
Administrator

Postby koberulz on Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:09 pm

Games Radar makes it sound like a must-buy and IGN basically says it's trash.

Hmm.
koberulz

Postby Andrew on Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:35 pm

I don't know if I'd go so far as to say it's a must-buy. I feel like it's the best of the current generation and I'm certainly quite satisfied with it, but it might not stand up to everyone's scrutiny. Definitely some legacy issues there.

What would be your biggest complaints and pet peeves with the series to date?

Andrew
No context necessary.
Administrator

Postby koberulz on Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:40 pm

It's been three or four years since I really played it all that much; it's a bit hard to remember. Difficulty and match length are the two that really stuck out - it was either way too easy to win or impossible to win, and either way matches were generally over in about three minutes each.

It also gets pretty dull after a while, just match after match. Universe seems like it's improved a lot in that regard. The lack of creation suite really bothered me last year, and I think they removed a lot of the ability to alter rules and things as well. I loathe escape-only cage matches, and I used to set all my cage matches to pin/submit only. My triple-threats were always elimination, etc. I could put time limits on, and it had the 'normal/epic' setting that meant some matches actually approached that limit.

I also had Universe set up with a custom ROH show in that tiny little custom arena, with the 2006-era ROH ring and custom ROH championships, none of which was doable in 2k15. Still can't really be done all that well with custom music still not a feature. I even had it modded to have custom titantrons. TBH that and the Action Replay era are the two I've used the most.
koberulz

Postby Sauru on Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:11 am

koberulz wrote:IGN basically says it's trash.

ign is about as reliable as a fart after a night of mexican food
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:26 am

I've had matches last longer than three minutes. They can be somewhat competitive at times, but there's still that element of them either being too easy, or the AI is impossibly cheap and scores a ridiculous upset win after you've beaten the hell out of them all match, thanks to a few reversals and a finisher out of nowhere. You'd be able to have your own ROH shows in WWE Universe with created arenas, belts, and videos, though as you noted, no custom music.

Andrew
No context necessary.
Administrator

Postby koberulz on Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:04 pm

Andrew wrote:I've had matches last longer than three minutes.
Sure, it happens, but it's the exception rather than the rule. I'd prefer 10-15 minutes for most, with some going even longer.
koberulz

Postby Andrew on Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:51 pm

5-10 is probably the average for me. That suits me fine so I haven't tried messing around with any settings; not sure if that would help lengthen matches at all.

Andrew
No context necessary.
Administrator

Postby koberulz on Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:20 pm

Have they brought back the feature from WWE 13 where you could toggle between three match modes? I think one was 'epic', not sure what the other two were, but they basically altered how much damage you had to do to win, which significantly lengthened matches.
koberulz

Postby Andrew on Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:10 pm

Doesn't look like it. Just the difficult and game balancing sliders.

Andrew
No context necessary.
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:29 am

I think the momentum option is what replaced that. I always put it to fast so I can get through a lot of matches quickly. Usually the first to a finisher wins for me.

Lowering the sliders for damage should help too.
Right Click Loop
phpBB [video]

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8ozxhwwmz4LJzpGAj22T5qa0ZVFBJ3yw

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby koberulz on Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:52 pm

The momentum option affects how fast you acquire a finisher? I think that might have been in WWE 13 as well.
koberulz

Postby JaoSming on Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:09 am

Yep, I forgot to mention that I did edit my sliders to max out Finisher damage (and weapon damage), which helps with the quicker matches......so the default option and a slower momentum gain should make for longer matches for you.
Right Click Loop
phpBB [video]

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby koberulz on Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:09 pm

I must say, the one thing that did annoy me about WWE 13 was you usually had to use four or five finishers to end a match.
koberulz

Postby JaoSming on Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:34 am

Found new legacy inc before the game came out. They had their first episodes of their WWE/WCW/ECW draft go up and the first WWE show was hilarious.

They did a pick 25 draft, and then a randomized supplemental draft. And then randomized tag teams/stables.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9WrwrgSFi8
phpBB [video]

Their channel https://www.youtube.com/user/newLEGACYinc/videos
Right Click Loop
phpBB [video]

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Lean on Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:48 pm

Seeing some videos of MyCareer on YouTube, it seems like it's cluttered compared last year. I might not get it when it comes out on Steam.

Meanwhile, here's the entrance video of my character from WWE 2K16, before he was deleted twice by the game. :lol:

phpBB [video]
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Chino on Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:21 am

Nice entrace video and music Lean. Reminds me of ECW wrestlers. Just straight up brawl while wearing street clothes.
Chino

Postby JaoSming on Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:53 am

PC version is out, and 21:9 is back, yesssss

Right Click Loop
phpBB [video]

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:29 am

I might wait for a sale before I double-dip, if indeed I do this year.

Andrew
No context necessary.
Administrator

Postby Lean on Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:58 am

I think I might pass on this one, the save game glitch is still in it.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:09 pm

phpBB [video]

That's either a huge oversight, or one hilarious Easter Egg.

Andrew
No context necessary.
Administrator

Next

Return to Off-Topic