Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Postby Andrew on Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:02 am

Official trailer:

phpBB [video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGbxmsDFVnE

I doubt it'll have the same impact as the original trilogy, but I'm planning on seeing it all the same. Meanwhile, the #BoycottStarWarsVII hashtag nonsense is sadly pathetic.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Postby zzcoolj21 on Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:21 am

The main characters react:
John Boyega

phpBB [video]

Daisy Ridley

phpBB [video]
zzcoolj21
20% on Good release machine, The NLSC's Jr Smith

Postby mp3 on Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:23 am

I grew up on starwars, loved watching them as an 80's kid... had all the figures too but I was not a fan of anything they put out after Return of the Jedi so I am hoping they don't butcher this movie too.
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby Andrew on Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:55 am

I have to admit, I've never seen any of the films at the cinema, and hadn't actually seen any of them all the way through until 2004 (unless I saw them on TV/video when I was really young, and just forgot about them).
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:09 am

Really? You hated the original movie, but the prequel trilogy sold you on the franchise?

Probably...probably don't admit that on any Star Wars forums. ;)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Patr1ck on Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:08 am

You guys see Luke at 1:40?
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:28 am

That's Luke?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Patr1ck on Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:37 am

Who else has a prosthetic right hand and cares about r2d2? I think it's him.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:30 pm

Makes sense. As long as he doesn't turn out to be the villain. We don't need that twist.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:44 pm

Andrew wrote:Really? You hated the original movie, but the prequel trilogy sold you on the franchise?

Probably...probably don't admit that on any Star Wars forums. ;)

Sounds like he didn't like the original but was sold on empire strikes back
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Patr1ck on Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:18 pm

phpBB [video]
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:31 am

My mistake, that was actually pretty clear upon re-reading your post. Still, I have to imagine that disliking Episode IV is still considered some sort of blasphemy, amongst the most hardcore of hardcore fans. ;)

Also, minor continuity nitpick, but Darth Vader's broken helmet in the trailer...shouldn't actually be broken up like that, since it was disassembled at the end of Jedi.

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Patr1ck on Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:37 am

But they burned him at the end with his helmet intact.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:12 am

So they did, I forgot about the pyre scene. Carry on, then.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby benji on Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:36 pm

It's been known that Mark Hamill has been in the movie for ages. He even got in epic shape and part of the reason he did the Joker again because he got that acting bug back. Though Luke, Solo and Leia are supposed to only have minor cameos of a few minutes.

This is so much of a better way to revive a franchise than Star Trek, new characters and new films for each new generation. There's a generation that loves the prequels because they were "their movies" and stuff. There will be ones who embrace these films.

Most of us regulars on this forum came of a really unique Star Wars age, we didn't have to wait for any of the originals, and we could watch them as many times as we wanted on VHS or even TV. Our generation was what caused the re-releases and remasters and Greedo shooting first.

The amusing thing is that The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones have some compelling setups that just never hit and work. TPM's climax is actually pretty awesome in terms of cutting between four plot threads with great pacing, even if two of them are garbage. ATOC's mystery/thriller is ruined by Lucas' dialogue everywhere else in the B-plot.

Don't believe the lies about how this sucks, or how the silly jumping ruins it or the end of the fight sucks and how Maul was wasted as Lucas admits. Dark Maul opening the door with debris (epic) and pacing while Qui-Gon meditates is great and then while waiting for Obi-Won, and this was the only semi-competent fight by a Sith in all the films, including Vader and his robotic moves. Maul and Qui-Gon both parry and use other more logical moves, and Maul uses more than just his saber to fight. Plus he's the only one who just casually uses the force to do shit, like the debris thing.
phpBB [video]

ArmaBiologica35 2 months ago
Its over Obi-Wan, I have the high ground!

excellent.

Maul's real mistake, he just force pushed Obi-Wan into the seemingly random bottomless pit with no function. And he just stands there mocking Obi-Wan. Force push him down the dang pit, ya dummy.
benji

Postby Andrew on Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:24 am

benji wrote:and this was the only semi-competent fight by a Sith in all the films, including Vader and his robotic moves. Maul and Qui-Gon both parry and use other more logical moves, and Maul uses more than just his saber to fight.

For the most part, I find the lightsaber duels in the original trilogy to be pretty underwhelming, upon going back and watching them. You can appreciate the effects for the era, but the actual swordsmanship...well, a lot of movies have done a lot better as far as making them interesting and action packed, before and since.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Patr1ck on Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:06 pm

I thought the originals were good saber battles. They seemed more like knights with heavy swords compared to all the acrobatics, spinning, and twirling in the new films. One could look at it as Luke not getting the proper trading while the old guys were just too old to go flying and flipping around. I like to think that Luke knew he couldn't defeat Vader and the emperor with just his saber so he used a persistent force-persuasion power on his father to weaken him mentally in order to turn him and ultimately defeat the emperor.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:11 pm

Don't get me wrong, there's something to be said for simplicity. But a couple of those battles - especially Obi-Wan and Vader - are basically them shuffling about, gently tapping the sabers together.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby benji on Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:23 pm

Read the leaked plot*, and lol, yep.

Keep gettin' dem checks J.J.

*Now available in a 85 page illustrated PDF: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByQR6t ... x5eG8/view
benji

Postby benji on Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:26 pm

benji

Postby JEDL on Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:12 am

Just watched the movie yesterday, it was okay I guess...
JEDL
LuDirk Doncitzki

Postby Kevin on Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:17 pm

On a scale of 1 to 10, how bad is it?
1 being episode 1
10 being episode 5
Rest In Peace Kobe
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Postby zzcoolj21 on Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:24 pm

I'm actually convinced this is the best star wars movie so far, and it's not even a contest. I've seen it 3 times in the past 10 hours and I'm probably going to see it a few more times this month. If your opinion is based on a pdf please. It's not like the plot of the original 3 was incredible. Also visually might be the best movie I've ever seen. Really well acted too.

9.8/10 only because I want to see where they get with the ending.
zzcoolj21

Postby zzcoolj21 on Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:34 pm

And finn is undoubtedly the best character.
zzcoolj21

Postby benji on Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:53 pm

I'm not basing off the PDF, though I did read it before. I'm never really concerned about silly twists or surprises unless their gamechangers at the very end because I prefer to focus on their execution.

A fancier, mostly emotionless, less tight rehash of the original Star Wars can't compare to the Empire Strikes Back.

It's a Star Wars film, so it's automatically not that great anyway, and a J.J. Abrams film so doublely so. The EU was always Star Wars' potential fulfilled. It's like J.J. had absolutely no idea what to do with this film in his endless pursuit of the mystery box concept. Absolutely nothing about the status of the galaxy over the last 30 years is explained. Whatever happened to The New Republic? They're practically still the freakin' rebellion.

On the upside it's not a disaster, it's just...J.J. once again threw together a bunch of stuff we've seen before but fancier and left the real work to the people coming in his wake.

I really can't imagine how someone can watch a J.J. Abrams movie three times in ten hours, they have the absolute worst pacing of any blockbuster films out there.

Finn stinks, Rey is better.
benji

Next

Return to Off-Topic