NBA to Fine for Flopping

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

NBA to Fine for Flopping

Postby Its_asdf on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:47 pm

N.B.A. Ready to Act on Flopping
By HOWARD BECK
ELIZABETH, N.J. — After years of complaints, the N.B.A. finally appears ready to outlaw flopping — the act of exaggerating contact to induce a foul call.

League officials are still deliberating the specifics, but the policy will probably involve a postgame review, rather than an in-game ruling by referees, according to a spokesman. The most likely penalty will be a fine.

Whether the league will increase fines for repeat offenders, or even suspend habitual floppers, is not yet clear. The new rules are expected to be finalized in the next few weeks and instituted for the coming season.

http://offthedribble.blogs.nytimes.com/ ... -flopping/
Its_asdf
I'm kind of a big deal.

Re: NBA to Fine for Flopping

Postby Patr1ck on Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:16 am

It's going to get crazy when players claim they are not flopping after being fined.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby RedPhazon8 on Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:12 am

Well this should be interesting... hopefully it reduces flopping though.
RedPhazon8

Postby Jackal on Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:49 am

Ginobili can quit playing now, he'll basically be donating his paycheck straight back to the NBA.
Jackal

Postby Patr1ck on Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:05 am

Jackal wrote:Ginobili can quit playing now, he'll basically be donating his paycheck straight back to the NBA.

He was already prepared and will be flopping an injury pretty soon so he can profit before his career ends.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:04 pm

I like it. Hopefully it will dissuade players from flopping but I'd still like to see the officiating tightened up in that regard, with more non-calls and blocking foul calls when the defender initiates contact and flops.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Like A Boss on Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:15 pm

This is great! I am sick of seeing NBA players flop especially if it will cause the match. (Y) (Y)
Like A Boss
Bulls

Postby NovU on Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:48 pm

I can't believe nobody mentioned yet about Miami's big three in this thread. Did championship come with love and respect?
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby Stress Fracture on Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:06 pm

I think shadow hasn't read this topic yet.
benji wrote:LeBron is such a choker. And people were talking about him as an all-time great. As having possibly surpassed Kobe. What a joke.

velvet bliss wrote:Andrew, you the real MVP.

Andrew wrote:He who flops and flails to the Finals and a title, flops and flails best.
Stress Fracture

Postby shadowgrin on Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:14 am

NovU wrote:I can't believe nobody mentioned yet about Miami's big three in this thread. Did championship come with love and respect?

Because only cock sucking Heat fans bother to mention Heat players in every thread they can.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Andrew on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:49 am

Reading through the article again, it seems to imply that they're only focusing on defensive flopping in their preparation to hand out fines. That's a good start, but they should certainly penalise and discourage offensive flopping and flailing as well.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:43 pm

Union leaves players defenseless over NBA's new flopping fines

Basketball's biggest flopper Billy Hunter left his players unprotected and unprepared again on Wednesday, failing to warn the union membership against what turned out to be a coast-to-coast embracing of a league-mandated fine system. This is how sadly disorganized and defeated the players are: In a continuation of the lockout ass-kicking delivered the Players Association, NBA commissioner David Stern had players coast to coast offering him a standing ovation for digging deeper into their pockets.

Yes, flopping needs to be curtailed and punished, but a system of arbitrary fines passed down out of Stern's office for violators on film is ridiculous. The NBA is essentially conceding that its officials don't have the competence to call flopping in the flow of the game, so Stern decides that the players will be punished financially for it.

For all the magnificent benefits of the NBA's globalization of basketball, there came with it a soccer culture of flopping. It infiltrated the sport on every level, because Stern and the officials let it go unchecked for too long. What's more, some coaches started to use it as a tool with defensively challenged players. When the NBA could've administered technical fouls on floppers, Stern felt empowered enough to do something that sports have mostly done only in the justifiable instances of violent or uncivil behavior: fine players for it.

He certainly brings up a good point, though I'm still not big on the idea of T'ing up players for flopping. With the "two techs and you're out" rule in place, erroneous flopping calls would have key players getting tossed left and right, not to mention the game slowing down for all those free throws. Woj calls it conceding incompetence and there's probably some truth to that, but it's also admitting simple human error and limitations. Unless they check the replay on every single foul call, they're not going to get it right every time. That's not to say they shouldn't try and can't improve, but perfection is an unrealistic expectation.

I'm hoping the crackdown on flopping will go beyond fines though, to the point where blatant flopping isn't rewarded. At one end, non-calls that leave a flopping defender out of the play and his team at a disadvantage. At the other, non-calls that leave a flailing offensive player putting up a bad shot while trying to create contact for a shooting foul. On top of that, they're going to have to hit star players with that treatment, too. Combine that with players' wallets taking a hit and I think we'll see a decrease in flopping.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby bowdown on Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:43 pm

Im all for it. Let's see how it is implemented. Should be interesting. Who will be the first ever "bitch-made" to go on record as an official flopper?
bowdown

Postby Patr1ck on Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:09 pm

I still prefer no-calls. Improved officiating is needed to do that. They need to pay closer attention instead of just making reactive calls. Flopping with a no-call completely takes the flopper out of the play. Best punishment, imo. Superstars can afford these fines, so it shouldn't stop them too much.

Either way, I hope it improves the quality of play.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby _Steve_ on Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:46 pm

Pdub wrote:I still prefer no-calls. Improved officiating is needed to do that. They need to pay closer attention instead of just making reactive calls. Flopping with a no-call completely takes the flopper out of the play. Best punishment, imo. Superstars can afford these fines, so it shouldn't stop them too much.

I agree on that. The fines are too low for Superstars to have any significant impact.

I have also to agree on Cuban's comment on flopping when intending to draw a charge.
Cuban wrote:"The one thing the NBA should do, but of course it won't, is to make it so an offensive foul is NOT called if a guy falls on his butt," Cuban wrote in his email. "The biomechanics of force and resistance don't cause you to fall flat on your butt on contact, unless the defender intends to fall on his butt upon contact."
"So if you see charges called because a guy lands on his ass, you know nothing has really changed. If the 'look at me, I'm on the floor' gets you nothing but a smirk, you know the rules are working."

So no call would be the best in that situation too.
“Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.” - Mark Twain
_Steve_

Postby JaoSming on Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:47 am

Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:22 am

Pretty good rundown.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Like A Boss on Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:53 pm

LOL, can't stop laughing with the names..
Like A Boss
Bulls

Postby NovU on Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:59 pm

I can't agree. Wade's far from a flopper. He just tends to shoot a lot of out of balance shots due to uncontrollable speed and burst.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Patr1ck on Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:41 pm

:lol:
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:29 pm

I hope he loses millions this year

phpBB [video]

:shake:
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Lamrock on Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:30 am

I like the idea. The way I see it working is only in extreme cases (like the infamous Bosh flop, every time Reggie Evans steps on the court, etc.) but still enough to at least curb the problem a bit. More no-calls would be preferred, but I don't want to see more time spent reviewing plays. As fun as the Seahawks have been to watch this year, I prefer less stops in the action.
Lamrock

Postby benji on Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:12 am

Wade doesn't even flop that much there, that's more saavy thinking than anything. He's done far worse against the Mavs in a Finals.
benji

Postby NovU on Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:27 pm

Wade doesn't flop that much in general. I can say this with hundred ten percent confidence.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Andrew on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:05 am

JaoSming wrote:I hope he loses millions this year

phpBB [video]

:shake:

JVG drops the pipe bomb.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Next

Return to NBA & Basketball