NBA to Fine for Flopping

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: NBA to Fine for Flopping

Postby Leftos on Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:34 am

Change of rules

No more leniency for the postseason. If you flop, you pay.

The league announced its playoff flopping policy Thursday and instead of a warning on the first offense, it's a $5,000 fine. Here's how it works out:

First violation: $5,000

Second violation: $10,000

Third violation: $15,000 fine

Fourth violation: $30,000 fine

And a fifth violation is subject to punishment "reasonable under the circumstances" that could include an increased fine and/or suspension.

During the 82-game regular season, there were 24 total flopping violations. Fourteen players received warnings, five more had a second violation that warranted a $5,000 fine. No player violated the policy more than twice.

The league defines flopping as "any physical act that appears to have been intended to cause the referees to call a foul on another player. The primary factor in determining whether a player committed a flop is whether his physical reaction to contact with another player is inconsistent with what would reasonably be expected given the force or direction of the contact."

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-o ... ing-policy
Eleftherios "Leftos" Aslanoglou
NBA 2K AI Software Engineer
Visual Concepts Entertainment / 2K Sports

Used to be "That Tools Guy" around here during the good ol' days. Although you probably remember me as your favorite Podcast host.
Leftos
I'm The Pipeline, The Pipeline Is Me
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:26 am

Perhaps having immediate fines will be incentive enough to refrain from flopping, but that's still four really blatant/poorly sold flops players can get away with and potentially draw calls from before they're forced to sit. Moving forward, I'd like to see the use of instant replay expanded to allow referees to overrule a call if there is reasonable doubt or perhaps a challenge from the opposing coach, though by all means limit it to the final couple of minutes of the quarter/game, where such a call could be crucial and directly influence the outcome.

Pdub wrote:LOL, the top two aren't even flops. Chris Paul got his foot stepped on, Donald Sloan got tripped. They both turned into helicopter impersonators, though.

There's still a huge exaggeration of the contact in an attempt to get a call though, which is more or less the definition of a flop.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:33 pm

What I can tell is that the Fifth Violation will be mind-blowing :D
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby Stress Fracture on Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:03 pm

At least not for Chris Paul.
benji wrote:LeBron is such a choker. And people were talking about him as an all-time great. As having possibly surpassed Kobe. What a joke.

velvet bliss wrote:Andrew, you the real MVP.

Andrew wrote:He who flops and flails to the Finals and a title, flops and flails best.
Stress Fracture

Postby Patr1ck on Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:50 am

Stress Fracture wrote:At least not for Chris Paul.

I hope he doesn't try to flop through the playoffs.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Tue May 07, 2013 1:10 pm

fine for Fisher, but not for Martin.....
phpBB [video]

huh?
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Patr1ck on Tue May 07, 2013 1:48 pm

He ran Martin over directly, Fisher came in from an angle.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Tue May 07, 2013 9:34 pm

Yeah, although he sold it somewhat, Martin was directly in front of Asik and took the brunt of the contact. Fisher was off to the side a bit and his fall was a little more manufactured, enough over the line for him to be penalised.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby The X on Tue May 07, 2013 9:47 pm

You could see Fisher pushed off with his legs :lol:
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby shadowgrin on Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:31 am

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/i ... ping-study
One of Cuban's companies has provided $100,000 to Southern Methodist University for an 18-month investigation of the forces involved in basketball collisions. The goal is to figure out whether video or other motion-capture techniques can distinguish between legitimate collisions and instances of flopping.

Cuban tweeted: "Is it a flop? Let the scientists figure it out . im paying for the research to find out."

Stern hinted at increasing the penalty for those found guilty of flopping.

"It isn't enough, it isn't enough," Stern said in his annual pre-NBA Finals news conference. "You're not going to cause somebody to stop it for $5,000 when the average player's salary is $5.5 million. And anyone who thought that was going to happen was allowing hope to prevail over reason."

"We could end it immediately if we decided to suspend players," Stern said. "But that might be a little Draconian at the moment."
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:12 pm

Cuban needs a life & with less money. Attention grabbing whore.
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby shadowgrin on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:47 pm

How is funding research that will benefit the business that you own and possibly that of your competitors and contribute to the improvement of the business environment you and your competitors are in be considered attention whoring?
Considering it as attention whoring is just face-palm inducing.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby Andrew on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:57 pm

shadowgrin wrote:How is funding research that will benefit the business that you own and possibly that of your competitors and contribute to the improvement of the business environment you and your competitors are in be considered attention whoring?

Spot on.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:17 pm

shadowgrin wrote:How is funding research that will benefit the business that you own and possibly that of your competitors and contribute to the improvement of the business environment you and your competitors are in be considered attention whoring?

Do you think whatever he is funding will have any outcome? He just wanted the 10 second attention, that's all. Like he does with all his comments.
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby shadowgrin on Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:32 pm

That's the point of the research! To determine if the goal is feasible or not. :facepalm2:
The goal is to figure out whether video or other motion-capture techniques can distinguish between legitimate collisions and instances of flopping.

Sometimes I wonder if people read or understand what they're reading at all. :wall:

If it produces a positive outcome then good for him, the Mavs, and the quality of play in the NBA regarding flopping.
If it doesn't then good job good effort of trying to improve things and tough luck about the money lost.

Attention-whoring, seriously? Sure he did something like that more than once but this is not one of them.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby Patr1ck on Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:37 pm

Cuban is just having another knock at the referees, but without getting fined.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:59 pm

I don't like the guy, plain and simple. You guys can say that this is a good step. But I can already tell what the outcome of that "research" will be. Too many technicalities, all you are seeing is the "goal".
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby shadowgrin on Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:59 pm

Pdub wrote:Cuban is just having another knock at the referees, but without getting fined.

That's impossible. Cuban is an egomaniacal self-serving attention-whore. Having a knock at the referees is no benefit to him since the Mavs weren't even in the playoffs to experience all the floppy goodness. Also, Dirk.

lol at too many technicalities. Someone is clueless about research.
You basically have a main objective and minor objectives.
The main objective is your primary goal, the reason for the research.
The minor objectives include the little shite that needs to be done that will eventually and hopefully help you in attaining the main objective. Those too many technicalities that may prove problematic falls under the minor objectives since you must figure it out to achieve the main goal.
Of course if a minor objective becomes too big of a hurdle then at that point the problematic minor objective can be split from the original research and become the main objective of a new research.

And that is one way of making money off research, by splitting it.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby Stress Fracture on Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:20 pm

What do you expect? LeFlop flops so much. Of course Heat fans would say, that's a tactic. That's why a fellow reacted with Cuban's action.
benji wrote:LeBron is such a choker. And people were talking about him as an all-time great. As having possibly surpassed Kobe. What a joke.

velvet bliss wrote:Andrew, you the real MVP.

Andrew wrote:He who flops and flails to the Finals and a title, flops and flails best.
Stress Fracture

Postby NovU on Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:27 pm

Cuban grew on me over the years. Initially I viewed him as some sort of attention whore as well but his passion and love for the sport is plausible.

While I also could see Pdub's reasoning in his behaviour, the bottomline is that such a study is a step forward for the sport. Effort is admirable. Of course, some haters will still find ways to relate this story with the Heat, but oh well.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:29 am

"Some people" will keep saying and saying. I will just wait for the research results if there are any.
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby deihatein on Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:29 am

Dirk on flopping

Dallas Mavericks forward Dirk Nowitzki doesn't see the point in attempting to rid the game of flopping -- at least the moves used to help sell a foul call "a little bit."

"We're never going to get rid of it," Nowitzki said recently, according to The Dallas Morning News. "But you got to limit it. It's part of sports. It's part of winning. Some people are smart and do a little extra thing to kind of sell the call. To me, that's part of sports."

"You don't want the obvious ones, the really, really bad one," Nowitzki said, according to the Dallas newspaper. "I think we'd love to get rid of those.

"But if somebody really does get shoved or hit a little bit, just to sell it a little for the referees so it does get the call, I don't have a problem with that. I think that's part of the game."
shadowgrin wrote:Quick question: who is better in basketball, a black dude or a pinoy dude. If you thought or considered for a moment that it's the black dude then you're also a little bit racist.

End of any racist discussion.

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

Postby shadowgrin on Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:57 am

Flopping excuse.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby hova- on Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:28 am

Definitely. Dirk's an underrated flopper. He gets a lot of and ones because he sells the contact extra strong.

It's okay when you do it sometimes. But I really got sick of watching Battier in game 5. This guy is falling down on every possession he has. After a three, drawing a charge, on screens. Hell, maybe he will even fall down when he assists a basket next time. He's smart and I like those glue guys, but he's just doing too much.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby Sauru on Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:41 am

like i have said before i would also like to see the nba change it so the offensive player can no longer jump into the defender and get to the line.
Sauru

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball