NBA to Fine for Flopping

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: NBA to Fine for Flopping

Postby Jackal on Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:09 am

I think they are doing quite well with the vertical rule. Especially saw that in the Heat/Pacers series, Hibbert went straight up without folding his arms and the few times he did was because he got a knee to the groin or something like that.

Sure it's not how I'd want it to be but at least there are allowing some sort of rim protection without punishing the bigs in favor of guards.
Jackal

Postby Patr1ck on Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:04 am

Yeah, I'm all in favor of no calls around the rim when a shooter jumps into a defender.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:45 am

No-calls are definitely underrated. ESPN Australian ran the retrospectives of all six Bulls championships on Sunday afternoon, which I sat down and watched (even though I have them on DVD, full length and without ads). Two things struck me while watching those highlights: one, flopping isn't all that recent a phenomenon. Two, it used to result in a lot more no-calls, even when big names and other significant players did it. I've long felt the latter was the case, though I couldn't be sure if that was just nostalgia talking.

It just seems like referees used to be a whole lot better at making the distinction between selling legitimate contact and full on flopping. Then again, it's likely that that's just how they've been instructed to call the games, in which case further changes need to be made higher up in the chain.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Previous

Return to NBA & Basketball