The Dallas Mavericks Thread

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: The Dallas Mavericks Thread

Postby stereoxide on Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:39 am

Dirk can hand a transfer request from the Mavs to FC Barcelona and he can dive there all day long.
stereoxide

Postby deihatein on Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:06 pm

jose calderon for 4 years. he's good but whatever
shadowgrin wrote:Quick question: who is better in basketball, a black dude or a pinoy dude. If you thought or considered for a moment that it's the black dude then you're also a little bit racist.

End of any racist discussion.

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

Postby _Steve_ on Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:20 pm

So the Mavs lose out on signing a major free agent again. Sometimes it must suck awefully to be Marc Cuban.
“Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.” - Mark Twain
_Steve_

Postby Andrew on Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:07 pm

The decade of Playoff appearances, a couple of Finals appearances, a championship and a whole lot of money probably eases his pain somewhat. Things certainly haven't gone to plan the last couple of years, though.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby hova- on Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:19 pm

The Mavs will pull a rabbit out the hat. Definitely. I have read so many interviews with Dirk over the last year and there is no way they will not try to win now. So prepare for either a big trade (although they dont have huge assets) or some big signings (I actually expect Andrew Bynum now - I hope they will not overcommit on him and his knees though).

The Mavs will get back to a Playoff roster - Conference Semifinals at least - I am 100% sure.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby _Steve_ on Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:17 pm

Andrew wrote:The decade of Playoff appearances, a couple of Finals appearances, a championship and a whole lot of money probably eases his pain somewhat. Things certainly haven't gone to plan the last couple of years, though.

It's not about what he and the Mavs have achieved during his ownership. It's more about coming short for consecutive years when it comes to land CP3 or D-Will or DH12...
I feel a bid sad for the Mavs and I hope they try not to lure Josh Smith to Dallas.
“Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.” - Mark Twain
_Steve_

Postby hova- on Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:39 pm

J Smoove is one of the most underrated players in this league, mainly because he has played in ATL for his whole career and he does not have a steady shot. Apart from that, he is an athletic defender and knows how to pass and rebound. I would not cripple my salary flexibility for him though, but Bynum will be more of a risk move.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby Andrew on Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:24 pm

SteveHTOWN wrote:It's not about what he and the Mavs have achieved during his ownership. It's more about coming short for consecutive years when it comes to land CP3 or D-Will or DH12...
I feel a bid sad for the Mavs and I hope they try not to lure Josh Smith to Dallas.

Sure, but there were a few things working against the Mavericks and anyone else interested in those players. Brooklyn made a couple of big moves and could offer D-Will more money. The Clippers have become relevant for the first time in the Los Angeles era, with a bright future that makes them an appealing option (and again, more money than elsewhere). With Dwight Howard, who knew where he was going until the Rockets finally emerged as the frontrunner? Unfortunately for the Mavs, while they had the cap space at the right time, the circumstances didn't particularly favour them.

Still, this is their first rough patch in a while, after a decade of respectable success. I think a lot of teams would like to have had that and be in the position that the Mavericks are in right now, because they're not exactly sunk moving forward. It's just time for Plan B (or perhaps C).
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby shadowgrin on Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:37 pm

SteveHTOWN wrote:So the Mavs lose out on signing a major free agent again.

Serves them right. Why would major free agents come rushing to sign with the Mavs when they dismantled that championship team by letting Chandler go.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Andrew on Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:16 pm

Fair call.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby hova- on Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:25 pm

I still think it was the right decision. Maybe the Mavs could have won it all in the lockout season, although it did not do any favor to older guys like Kidd or Nowitzki for sure. But for the years after 2012 ... there was no chance to keep that team with a lot of contracts expiring and guys getting older and older. So a repeat would have been nice for sure but in no way guaranteed with teams like the Thunder and Heat improving by a lot whilst the Mavs imho had already peaked in 2011.

Further it's not like Tyson Chandler is cheap ... he gets 30M$ over the next two years and I fully understand how the Mavs rather tried to get Howard this year who is younger and at least as good as Chandler and has still some upside in him (at least Rockets fans should hope for that).

It just did not happen. Now let's see how much Cuban is willing to pay for Andrew Bynum's bowling services. Missing the Playoffs this year was maybe a good thing as I think a fully recovered, in shape Dirk can still surprise everyone (expecting 20+ ppg this year)
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby shadowgrin on Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:52 pm

Chandler only wanted a max contract, Mavs were not willing.
They could have given Chandler a short max contract, like 2-3 years or the same time Dirk's contract expires so the Mavs can really rebuild if their championship core isn't holding up to expectations anymore.

So Dirk's contract expires on 2014. If they offered Chandler a max contract for 3 years back in 2011 and it expires the same time as Dirk's, that hypothetical Mavs team would be rebuilding in 2014 which is the same time the real Mavs team will still be rebuilding by hoping to finally sign a star free agent.
Even if that Mavs team had the same real life results of the current Mavs at least they would have been known as a championship team that just got old instead of a team that drives away core players from its championship roster because they don't want to pay them even though they can afford to.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby NovU on Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:08 am

It indeed was a bad move from basketball perspective to not sign Chandler. But financially it made sense I guess. Cuban at the time I believe was also dealing with a lawsuit as well for mishandling the franchise.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby hova- on Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:27 am

hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby Jackal on Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:53 am

Sucks to be the Mavs right now, miss out on Deron Williams, Chris Paul, Dwight Howard & to top it off have to pay Monta Ellis 10 million a year. Feels bad for Dirk man.

Jackal

Postby NovU on Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:19 am

Wow, this upsets me big time. This is probably one of the worst move by Cuban. I guess he was hard pressed to do anything.

He spent a lot of money on guards and he needs a center now. They're looking at Greg Oden which I think is a low risk move but still this doesn't make them a contender. They still need significantly more and they shouldn't have given up on a lot of flexibillity on Calderon/Ellis combo.

Dirk is a nice guy and all and he probably really wants to retire a Mavericks, but he has to consider asking for a trade sooner or later. He's too much of a talent to waste his last couple of prime years on a team like this. This is a huge loss for the basketball fans.

EDIT: hova, you should have made a thread instead.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Andrew on Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:45 am

So, Mayo and Ellis switch teams without a trade involved. It's nowhere near the move the Mavericks wanted to make, but I guess they had to do something and bringing in a backcourt player who can score, albeit inefficiently, is better than nothing.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Stress Fracture on Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:05 am

Also...

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 1h
ESPN sources: Toe injury forces Mavs to shelve plan to re-sign fan favorite Devin Harris. Sides mutually agree to scrap three-year, $9M deal
benji wrote:LeBron is such a choker. And people were talking about him as an all-time great. As having possibly surpassed Kobe. What a joke.

velvet bliss wrote:Andrew, you the real MVP.

Andrew wrote:He who flops and flails to the Finals and a title, flops and flails best.
Stress Fracture

Postby Andrew on Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:19 am

They just can't catch a break.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby deihatein on Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:30 pm

The rookie that the Mavs got is also injured. :cry:
shadowgrin wrote:Quick question: who is better in basketball, a black dude or a pinoy dude. If you thought or considered for a moment that it's the black dude then you're also a little bit racist.

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

Postby hova- on Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:27 pm

I read on NBA.de that Dirk loves Monta's game and is very excited about the deal.

With Harris' signing shelved, the Mavs backcourt looks pretty good right now, the problem is just that they have this big hole in the middle.

As a fan, I always hope the best. If Ellis can somehow turn into a good character, he is probably worth the money. He can dominate offensively. It's just a mind thing. What speaks for him is that he has never played with such a good player like Dirk and veterans like Carter and Marion. Maybe they can get moreo out of him.

I still don't like the signing, because it is obvious that the Mavs are most successfull when they can pair up Dirk with a defensive big in the middle which they haven't. They want Oden and Dalembert, both won't make them contenders.

NovU, Dirk is not LBJ. He has a ring already so if the Management fucks up he will just stay put as long as they make the Playoffs (which is realistic with a healthy roster).
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby shadowgrin on Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:52 am

NovU wrote:Dirk is a nice guy and all and he probably really wants to retire a Mavericks, but he has to consider asking for a trade sooner or later. He's too much of a talent to waste his last couple of prime years on a team like this. This is a huge loss for the basketball fans.

Nash will still be with the Lakers when Dirk's contract is up in 2014.
Nash will recruit Dirk to wear the purple and gold for the vet minimum.
LeBron will also sign with the Lakers when he's a FA.
Kobe and Gasol will stay with LAL for less money.

C Gasol
PF Dirk
SF LeBrn
SG Kobe
PG Nash
6th Wiggins or Parker

2014 LAKERS! UNSTOPPABLE!
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby NovU on Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:22 am

At this stage, I'd rather have Bosh than Gasol at C. And sorry Nash but you belong to bench with Wiggins, completes Canadian bench supreme with Wiggins. And have somebody like Irving, Parker, or Isaiah at the point.

C Bosh
PF Dirk
SF LeBrn
SG Kobe
PG Isaiah
bench Nash/Wiggins

2014 Lakers Complete
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Stress Fracture on Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:00 pm

They will have a trio Canadian bench supreme with Sacre.
benji wrote:LeBron is such a choker. And people were talking about him as an all-time great. As having possibly surpassed Kobe. What a joke.

velvet bliss wrote:Andrew, you the real MVP.

Andrew wrote:He who flops and flails to the Finals and a title, flops and flails best.
Stress Fracture

Postby deihatein on Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:33 pm

Fuck you shadow (Dallas is better than "always getting damaged players" Sixers), fuck you NovU(Chris Bawsh sucks lol putting him at C with Dirk), I hope James Harden injures himself because of his beard.

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball