Yao Ming is improving

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Yao Ming is improving

Postby ningtong88 on Sun Nov 17, 2002 9:22 am

He scored 10pts in 14min last night, he's gonna be great.
ningtong88

Postby MC Hao on Sun Nov 17, 2002 12:03 pm

i say next season he will become a force and average double-doubles. Go YAO!!!!!
MC Hao

Postby MajaFiggaz_Early! on Sun Nov 17, 2002 2:47 pm

Ming will not be good unless he works on his footspeed. I think in 3 year he will come int his own after learning the US game, and Working on his footspeed.

I look at Ming as anothr Olowokandi but less atheletic and a much better shot. Its taken Kandi a while now he is playing well.
MajaFiggaz_Early!

Postby d3vilm4n on Sun Nov 17, 2002 3:41 pm

He might get a little better but first he has to lose the goofiness
d3vilm4n

Postby Jowe on Sun Nov 17, 2002 7:52 pm

Its only been a couple of games into the new season,
and with more playing time, ming is on the up and up.
Upside is tremendous :lol:
Fee Nick's Uns [15-10] says:
i'd suck allen iverson's cock any day -
Fee Nick's Uns [15-10] says:
just so i could say i've met allen iverson
Jowe

Postby TheBob on Mon Nov 18, 2002 2:03 am

Everyone's just gotta remain patient with Ming, no one should really be expecting him to do anything this season. He was picked not as an immediate impact player but as a pretty big project. Remember how everyone was talking about kwame last year (Ben :D ) and Olowakandi before that? People seem quite content with their play now.
TheBob

Postby conkeso on Mon Nov 18, 2002 2:18 am

Nobody expected too much from Pau Gasol in his 1st year and he averaged 18 points , 8 rebounds and around 2 blocks :D

There is no need to wait a season :wink:
conkeso

Postby TheBob on Mon Nov 18, 2002 2:28 am

You don't have to wait a season to have high expectations if you don't want to. However, you'll most certainly be disapointed.
TheBob

Hey did y'all see Stephon almost BREAKS...

Postby airassault on Mon Nov 18, 2002 12:27 pm

... Yao Ming's ankle with a crossover!!

And the Suns bench laughed so hard at that..
:o
airassault

Re: Yao Ming is improving

Postby JuanDV on Mon Nov 18, 2002 12:37 pm

ningtong88 wrote:He scored 10pts in 14min last night, he's gonna be great.

LOL u say he's gonna be great cause he scored 10 points?
JuanDV

Postby TheBob on Mon Nov 18, 2002 12:42 pm

If you watch him play you'll see that he is and will be a talented big man for along time, he just needs to find his confidence. He's very smooth in the post, sorta reminds me of another former Rocket.
TheBob

Postby MajaFiggaz_Early! on Mon Nov 18, 2002 1:47 pm

The Bob as I said before. Regardless of his game I have seen him commit at least 5 turnovers due to his lack of quickness. Either he works on his foot speed or he stops trying to do spin moves in the post.

I never watched Chinese Ball Games but obviously that spin move worked there. In the US the players are quick on the double and as soon as he turns to spin someone is there to take the ball. Either he drops that or he works on his foot speed to make his move feared.

Look at some players in the NBA and you can honestly say there trademark move is feared. Iverson, Mcgrady, Kobe &Shaq come to mind. Look a couples years back and you think Olajuwon. If its true Hakeem is help Yao Ming, then I think that can be scary. Just think a 7'5 player with half the moves of Hakeem, and a nice touch on his shot...Something to ponder on.
MajaFiggaz_Early!

Postby Nick on Mon Nov 18, 2002 2:42 pm

Well Yao's games are definately getting better and better each game...so far he's scored 17 points and pulled down 6 rebounds in 12 minutes...
Nick
Barnsketball
Contributor

Postby conkeso on Mon Nov 18, 2002 3:07 pm

vs Lakers

fg 9/9
ft 2/2
rb 6
pts 20
min 23

P.S. only problem is the lack of blocks
conkeso

Postby Clinton on Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:33 pm

At least it shows he can play some good ball when he gets the minutes. They will start to give him more playing time if he keeps producing. If he shows he is ready for the NBA game they will let him go at.
Clinton

Postby DR. P on Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:37 pm

EXPECTATIONS, GASOL AND MING: A MONUMENTAL DIFFERENCE

Nobody expected too much from Pau Gasol in his 1st year and he averaged 18 points , 8 rebounds and around 2 blocks...There is no need to wait a season

That's just it, because no one expected it he was free to pretty much make a name for himself. Yao is a Number 1 pick overall, where there are instant expectations. In fact, the minute he was drafted people were already comparing him to Shaq, Ewing, and other great centers chosen first overall. Gasol was a bit more seasoned the Ming coming in, more mature basketball-wise, played better competition, and didn't have any strings attached to his performance when he entered the NBA [playing on a cellar dwellar franchise]. Anything he could bring to the Grizz was gravy in their eyes, and that's probably why he was able to come in an do well [aside to his obvious talent, that goes without saying]. Everything Ming does will immediately be scrutinized [just ask Kwame Brown] and he's got a "visible" mark on his chest every time he touches the ball.

THE MING DYNASTY WILL BE UPON US SOON

The true test for players who do well in their rookie season, that weren't initally known or expected to do particularly well, is their sophmore campaign. That's when I really judge a player like Gasol's merit. What do you do when now everyone's keying on you and your receiving all of the double teams? If you respond well and match your previous outputs [or even better exceed them], then you have the makings of a great player. If not, then your succes was really a fluke partially due to you being inconspicuous to the real movers-and-shakers in the league. For a player like Ming, I judge in his second year [like Kwame] when they've had a chance to adjust to being viewed as the potenatial stopgap for a team. But trust me, over the next few seasons everyone will be eating their words with respect to Ming. He will be a solid NBA center, just give him some time.
DR. P

Postby Metaphysical3 on Sat Mar 01, 2003 12:57 pm

Now how do you guys feel
Metaphysical3

Postby Andrew on Sat Mar 01, 2003 1:07 pm

Yeah, he's a decent player. :wink:

I wasn't so much a Yao Ming doubter early on as I was puzzled the Rockets went spent so much time and energy on bringing him to the NBA, only to have him play limited minutes. I think it's safe to say those days are well behind Yao now.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Clinton on Sat Mar 01, 2003 3:11 pm

He's playing solid ball. His got the minutes, now all the Rockets have to do is give him the ball more. He only normally takes about 10 shots or less. He could be doing a lot more scoring for the Rockets. One of their guards has to give up some shots (good luck).
Clinton

Postby magius on Sun Mar 02, 2003 5:00 pm

a few years and he'll be mvp....... thats what reggie miller said on last call, not me :cool: ..... and reggie knows a thing or two :wink:
magius

Postby scubilete on Sun Mar 02, 2003 9:53 pm

However, I don't see him developing his game with teammates like Francis & Mobley. That would be a minus to the MVP thing. They pass the ball to him once and deny it 17 times, even when nobody is guarding him.
scubilete

Postby mp3 on Sun Mar 02, 2003 10:33 pm

scubilete wrote:However, I don't see him developing his game with teammates like Francis & Mobley. That would be a minus to the MVP thing. They pass the ball to him once and deny it 17 times, even when nobody is guarding him.

very very true, the only thing he will learn from them is to rebound there miss shots and pass it back to them so they can miss again :!:
mp3

Postby magius on Mon Mar 03, 2003 11:31 am

he should go to orlando :cool:
magius

Return to NBA & Basketball