The "Have Your Random NBA Question Answered" Thread

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: The "Have Your Random NBA Question Answered" Thread

Postby Andrew on Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:33 am

If the Warriors had a better record than the Clippers, they'd be the Division champions and a top four seed, either facing the Clippers or Grizzlies depending on whether they also had a better record than the Nuggets (or own the tiebreaker over them, which would propel them to the third seed).
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Axel The Great on Wed May 15, 2013 2:49 am

I know this is a rather odd question, but has anyone ever fouled an inbounder before he threw it in?
Axel The Great
Visible Confusion

Postby JaoSming on Wed May 15, 2013 4:32 am

it would be a flagrant probably, since you aren't allowed to be close enough to touch the inbounder.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Wed May 15, 2013 10:53 am

It's probably happened somewhere at some point, though a quick Google search didn't yield any reports of noteworthy incidents. For what it's worth, I did find this however:

10) The defender may not break the imaginary plane during a throwin. If the defender breaks the imaginary plane during a throwin, the defender’s team will receive a team warning, or if the team has already been warned for one of the four delay situations, this action would result in a team technical foul. If the defender contacts the ball after breaking the imaginary plane, it is a player technical foul and a team warning will be recorded. If the defender fouls the inbounding player after breaking the imaginary plane, it is an intentional personal foul, and a team warning will be recorded.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Stress Fracture on Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:12 pm

How much does a typical preseason game ticket cost in the NBA? People here are ranting about the high ticket prices of the HOU-IND preseason tiff here. Lower bowl seats costs roughly $800 here.
benji wrote:LeBron is such a choker. And people were talking about him as an all-time great. As having possibly surpassed Kobe. What a joke.

velvet bliss wrote:Andrew, you the real MVP.

Andrew wrote:He who flops and flails to the Finals and a title, flops and flails best.
Stress Fracture

Postby [Q] on Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:34 pm

Why is it that sometimes when teams are in the bonus and get fouled, they say they'll shoot "one plus the penalty" instead of "two shots"?
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:26 am

Sounds like a creatively misleading way of talking about being over the foul limit to me.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:53 am

yeah it's especially confusing when we already know it's going to be 2 shots but then have the knowledge that in college basketball teams shoot "1 and 1" on single bonus.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby koberulz on Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:05 pm

Way back in the day, non-shooting fouls were penalised with one free-throw. Presumably, when the team was in the bonus, they got two free-throws for non-shooting fouls, and somehow the terminology stuck around far longer than the original rule.
koberulz
Everything I say is false.

Postby benji on Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:27 am

Might be an instance of commentators coming up through the high school and college ranks, to differentiate it from the 1-and-1, and then it just sticks.
benji

Postby Abctest123 on Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:55 pm

Bump.

This question is aimed at Knicks fans or anyone who knows or is friends with a Knicks fan...what was the general consensus around Melo coming to your team, and when JR Smith joined the Knicks? The reason I ask this is because of the whole thing with that Nuggets-Knicks brawl back in 2006. I know Melo didn't get to NY until 2011 and JR not until 2012 so it was older than I thought, but whatever.
Abctest123

Postby Prev on Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:20 pm

Mofo wrote:Bump.

This question is aimed at Knicks fans or anyone who knows or is friends with a Knicks fan...what was the general consensus around Melo coming to your team, and when JR Smith joined the Knicks? The reason I ask this is because of the whole thing with that Nuggets-Knicks brawl back in 2006. I know Melo didn't get to NY until 2011 and JR not until 2012 so it was older than I thought, but whatever.

Not sure about JR but NY fans were happy about Melo since he was first allstar/superstar player on Knicks team in some time. Basically they were just happy to have a good player come to their team.
Prev

Postby NovU on Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:54 am

They were probably ecstatic about finally having 2 superstars. Stoudemire was looking damn good at the time iirc.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby [Hyperize] on Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:32 pm

Is it okay to bump this thread? If some of you remember, about a year ago I had a Mandela Effect Gilbert Arenas thing happens to me, but this one is a bit more simple: was there a time five or so years ago when JR Smith wore "Smith III" on the back of his jersey? I remember it kind of being a big deal that he was to go by Earl Smith III or something, and it was listed on 2K that way. Just curious.
[Hyperize]

Postby Andrew on Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:54 pm

No worries bumping it, we can still make use of it. (Y)

It was actually almost ten years ago that he planned on going by Earl Smith III and phasing in the usage of that name, but it didn't stick.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Hyperize] on Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:40 am

Probably the most random question that will ever be asked in this thread (hence the thread): is this what the NBA TV scoreboard still looks like? I haven't watched a game on there in ages, and no highlights ever use their feed.
[Hyperize]

Previous

Return to NBA & Basketball