Kobe Scores a Milestone!

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Kobe Scores a Milestone!

Postby emadhn15 on Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:40 pm

Kobe becomes the youngest player in the history of the nba to reach 10,000 points.

http://www.nba.com/history/kobe_10000_030503.html
emadhn15

Postby . on Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:57 pm

Yes, I´m happy he made the record, he had a bad shooting game but the record is in.

Postby Rens on Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:23 am

Congratulaions Kobe and fans.

Who was the fastest to reach it?
Rens

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby TheBob on Fri Mar 07, 2003 3:00 am

Damn I just saw who it was and it wasn't someone I would have guessed, MJ and Wilt weren't far behind though.
TheBob

Postby Colin on Fri Mar 07, 2003 4:36 am

Previously Bob Mcadoo of all players. :shock: Thought someone would have been able to do it faster than him. Though my impression from it is that he was the youngest player age wise, not career wise to do this. Seeing as an article said "he did this at 24 years 100 whatver days." It would make more since for it to be games played, rather than age. Give the college guys a chance eg. Timmy D wouldn't be able to break this record going to college for four years.
C#
Pretty Flaco
Colin

Postby raptor15 on Fri Mar 07, 2003 8:58 am

Announcement from me.

I don't post often on this board, but I've got something to say. Some of you guys might remember me, and my biased opinons on the old board (don't slap me, but yeah).

Well, anyways, I used to hate Kobe. I was what you'd call a basic "Kobe hater". Although I don't specifically LIKE him now, I renounce my hatred towards him. There is no reason a VC fan should hate Kobe, just becuase he's a better player. I realised how stupid it was in some of my buddies... They'd hate him for no reason. Just because he's better than Carter. And, although I still like Vince, I don't think he's an elite player anymore...

That is OK. T-Mac is better than him, and I never hated him. I don't know why Kobe attracted my hate. I still think he's a ball hog, and he takes way too many shots, and he's set on being better than MJ, but I don't hate him anymore. :D

So anyways, great accomplishment. Most of it is because of his age. He started when he was 18.
raptor15

Postby GloveGuy on Fri Mar 07, 2003 9:09 am

MJ posted 10,000 by his fifth season(actually his fourth since he was injured his second season). If Kobe went to college for 2 or three years and still accomplished this milestone, then I'd be amazed. But he didn't. He entered the league when he was 18 and accomplished the milestone in his seventh season. Now people might call him a kid because of his age, but if you only saw his career stats, you'd might think of him as a player with experience, maybe even a veteran. So yes, the milestone is pretty impressive, but seeing that he's 24 but in his seventh season, makes it look less impressive than it seems.
GloveGuy

Postby scubilete on Fri Mar 07, 2003 10:23 am

Gloveguy wrote:MJ posted 10,000 by his fifth season(actually his fourth since he was injured his second season). If Kobe went to college for 2 or three years and still accomplished this milestone, then I'd be amazed. But he didn't. He entered the league when he was 18 and accomplished the milestone in his seventh season.

However, if you make a relation between Kobe & MJ, you need to have in mind that Kobe spent his 2 first years coming from the Bench, a pleasure MJ never had. In his rookie year, just playing 15 mins per game, that's a plus. Also, you can't count out MJ injured season since during that season he played and it's part of his experience.

I agree the fact of getting into the league younger than anyone else is an advantage, but those guys come to the league and spend few years learning the game, sometimes in the bench, waiting for an opportunity, which would mean those are not solid years.
scubilete

Postby GloveGuy on Fri Mar 07, 2003 10:40 am

Maybe. Maybe it's because I hear a lot of Kobe-MJ comparisons which pisses me off. But I just know that being the youngest player to reach the milestone isn't as impressive as it sounds when you're in your seventh season and others happend to do it in their fifth. And you're right that it makes a difference that Kobe played off the bench his first two seasons, and there's another difference between him and Micahel, favoring MJ's side. But since that's off the topic, I won't go into it.
GloveGuy

Postby Andrew on Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:24 pm

I have to agree that it sounds less impressive when you consider how old Kobe was when he entered the NBA. Even though he was brought along slowly the first couple of seasons, he still had a head start that other players did not get.

But that's just a head start. It doesn't mean that Kobe is not a proven scorer, or that this feat means nothing. It just sounds a little better when you don't take into account how young he was when he entered the league. :)

BTW, back in Kobe's rookie season (or was it his second season?) Robert Horry predicted he would one day sit atop the all-time scoring leaders. If that comes to be, do you think the same discussion about age will arise? :wink:
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby scubilete on Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:36 pm

I don't think it will since he said he won't be playing at the age of 40 like Mike and also nobody has complained about Jabbar doing it as well.

Those like Jabbar & Malone, have played so many seasons to get to that, that you will only count how many seasons took Kobe to get there, not if he was young when he started or anything like that. Then the case of how many seasons will come to mind, not about how young he was. Since those that played 17 & 20 seasons, nobody is talking about how young they were when started playing.

Gloveguy, You need to know also, I forgot to include this, Kobe not just didn't play enough during his first 2 seasons but you have to count a 50 games season as well. Which would be a very short season to those seasons that took kobe to get there.
scubilete

Postby Andrew on Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:42 pm

You don't think he might change his mind about playing that long? The prospect of a dynasty that rivals the Boston Celtics might change his mind. :wink: It will be interesting to see if he sticks around in LA after Shaq and Phil Jackson move on, to be part of a rebuilding phase.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Alex Italo on Fri Mar 07, 2003 11:54 pm

I congratulate Kobe for his milestone but like most guys I think he entered the league earlier than most players so that was a boost for its accomplishment.

I think a better milestone would be score 10000 points in less games. Who is this record holder? Wilt? MJ?
Alex Italo

Postby Boyk on Sat Mar 08, 2003 1:24 am

yer but if kobe did goto college then who knows who would've ended up with him and if he was a starter(which i think he would've) therefore the milestone he has now, would've still been possible :)
Thanks to TEH G.O.A.T for Sig
Formerly known as Laddas
Watch out for Kobe,Melo n the Lakers!
Boyk

Postby scubilete on Sat Mar 08, 2003 9:58 am

I'm going to make it easier to you guys. Too many discussions about Kobe doing it cause he came to the league too early.

The merit is clear, the youngest player to reach 10,000. I agree that the fact he came so early to the league helped with that accomplishment. However, Kobe is the youngest player to reach that mark and maybe also the fastest to reach it without being the main scorer of his own team.

All of you know well that besides this season, the guy had never been the main player of the team. Which makes him the 2nd scorer during those years, that's why this accomplishment is over the expected.

MJ maybe did it in less seasons or games, maybe in less minutes played, but he was the main scorer of his team which means all the balls were going to him. Bob McAdoo had the same situation, Wilt, who else was on that list?, Rahim, etc. That's not Kobe case besides this season, and it would be a real argument if we exclude this season as well since I still believe the main guy in the Lakers is Shaq, even Kobe admits it.
scubilete

Postby GloveGuy on Sat Mar 08, 2003 10:02 am

After how many years? Two? Three? MJ practically did it in four. But you think that Kobe could beat MJ in such a category? Wow. What are you on? Kobe's great but he's not MJ, and no one will ever have the type of seasons that MJ had in his first years. No way would it be possible.
GloveGuy

Postby scubilete on Sat Mar 08, 2003 10:18 am

Gloveguy wrote:But you think that Kobe could beat MJ in such a category? Wow. What are you on? Kobe's great but he's not MJ

I don't think you understood the point.

MJ was the main guy in Chicago, so he had to shoot all the balls, Kobe didn't. Kobe has not been the 1st scorer of the team for the past years, MJ was, again if you didn't understand what I said. Is it too dificult to understand it?, I'm not saying MJ had bad years, the guy scored 37 ppg in one season, was he the 2nd or 3rd scorer while doing that?

Everytime I try to make a point, you guys take me wrong. I'm not taking MJ credits away, I'm saying Kobe maybe has become the fastest one doing it while not being the 1st scorer of his team, since MJ didn't do it as a back up guard or 2nd scorer, you can't even mention MJ in that category.

Did you get it now?
scubilete

Postby mp3 on Sat Mar 08, 2003 10:34 am

what kobe's done is bring some of that "jordaness" ( if thats spelt right? ) back to the league!
one problem, pippen was a second man to jordan, and liked it.
shaq on the other hand?
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby scubilete on Sat Mar 08, 2003 10:44 am

In the last interview Kobe got.

"Can you still be the league MVP without being the MVP of your own team"

"Sure, I mean. Everyone knows this team ankle is Shaq, so I don't compete to that. If want championships, I play with Shaq, if I want to get some other accomplishments, I'll do it alone, no matter where, maybe just here."

Shaq is not 2nd on the team, the fact that kobe is leading the team in scoring doesn't put him as the main guy. Magic was not the main scorer of the team while he guided the Lakers to the championships, and he was the main player.
scubilete

Postby mp3 on Sun Mar 09, 2003 5:40 am

what i mean is that shaq has always been the go to guy
mp3

Postby Divan Santana on Sun Mar 09, 2003 7:45 pm

Nice points scubilete, didn't quite look at it like that. Thanks.
Divan Santana

Postby scubilete on Mon Mar 10, 2003 12:32 am

Well, in other notes, Scottie didn't like to be the 2nd behind MJ, he had to accept it but he didn't like it. That's why he & Grant were always complaining that they wanted to touch more the ball and get more opportunities, they won championships in crisis. The same as the Lakers, we all know Kobe & Shaq have had their diferences which creates crisis in the team, but it's good to know they have overcome that.

In the Magic note, my bad, I have to agree the main player was Jabbar, but was not always the scoring leader of the team, just like Magic and they didn't feel less for that, that's what I meant. Worthy led the Lakers in scoring some seasons, there was one season where the scoring leader for the Lakers was Byron Scott, while Magic & Jabbar never felt bad for it, they knew they were the main guys on the team and that team was going nowhere without them.
scubilete

Postby mp3 on Mon Mar 10, 2003 5:29 am

yer point taken.
i think shaq would rather win than take individual glory and lose
mp3

Return to NBA & Basketball