Lakers Thread

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby air gordon on Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:40 am

interesting.

I mean if you feel this improvement he’s made thus far has sold you on him to be at least a 2nd all nba team selection (top 10 player. Is that superstar level for you?), at least you own it. You mentioned things that most rookies/young players have to endure/improve on but you haven’t specified what’s in his game that would make him a superstar.

You ranked Ingram ahead of Tatum. Tatum is already showing he can score the ball in a variety ways at a very efficient rate. >50% from 3pt land, TS% .648. That is ridiculous for a rookie wingplayer. Already a great base to build on for a player only 19yrs old.
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Jackal on Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:03 am

I think he can be second all NBA down the line, definitely. I can't quantify what will specifically make him a superstar, I guess it's a combination of his willingness to improve/drive and the leap he's already taken from his rookie season and my Laker fandom I suppose. A year ago I would've been happy with him being Tayshaun Prince, now I would want him to be more Giannis and less Tayshaun.

Tatum has been spectacular for sure, I wonder how Ingram would fare in the Boston system under Stevens. Tatum is very polished for a rookie, but I still feel/want to believe Ingram has it in him to be a top 10 player with his body type, versatility and work ethic.

There were off season stories about Lakers coaches banning him from the gym because he was in there too often. Last guy to work that diligently on his game for the Lakers turned out all right.

These kind of things are awesome to revisit in a good 4-5 years. How about you? Between Tatum & Ingram who do you think will be the better player down the road in said 4-5 years?
Jackal

Postby [Q] on Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:04 am

Although I like Ingram's driving (which is good for this team since they have a hard time scoring at times) but when you start comparing him to other players his poor FT shooting definitely hurts and he's barely even the 5th best 3 point shooter on the team. But to be fair Tatum isn't asked to do much since they are a good team while Ingram has to do more, especially with the weak starting lineup
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby air gordon on Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:18 am

Ingram has that crutch of still being a 2nd year player/ being a high pick but i would say thus far the hype isn't the same as it was as the time he was being drafted. id like to see a bigger gap in improvement tbh.. Especially if you envision superstardom in his future

That’s a great positive to hear he puts in the work but show me something. Tyrus thomas tooks thousands of jump shots a day during one offseason and he still stunk.

There’s no shame in being a well rounded player but i haven’t seen the all important superstar skill.

A player like DSJ is highly rated because of his uber athleticism/ability to get to the rim and finish. Or Simmons with broke jump shot has pg abilities in PF frame/uber athlete.

Even Fultz who was an efficient scorer with a great pick and roll game.

Of course Tatum has the advantage of playing on a talented celtic team but to be fair to him his skillset actually expanded compared to his college game. Could be a case like KAT in kentucky where he was told only to play only in the lane. Regardless, his knack for scoring is legit.

Tatum vs Ingram? Tbh i don’t care. I just would like to see more out of ingram and impressed with what Tatum has done so far
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Sauru on Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:38 pm

i just wanted to come here and say how much i appreciate larry nance right now
Sauru

Postby Jackal on Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:39 am

We'll just have to wait and see. Ingrams got the ability to be the primary ball handler, he's capable of initiating the offense and will be the go to scorer for this team, I think he already is in many ways.

Ingram initiated the offense quite a bit last season. Let's see, I have high hopes for him.

And by gosh Nance had the dunk of the year for me last year with his jam over Lopez, and so far he has the dunk of the year over snake-man so far.
Jackal

Postby air gordon on Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:33 am

if ingram is going to be the offense initiator/primary ball handler (and primarty scorer?), what about Ball’s role with the team?

Is Ingram in position to reach his potential with this team?
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Jackal on Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:14 am

Nah, he isn't going to be primary ball handler. I meant more that he's capable of being that.

Ball is definitely the offense initiator. Ingram can be fine. Russell/Durant and Bledsoe/Giannis worked. Hopefully Ball and Ingram can be mentioned in that same breath some day.
Jackal

Postby [Q] on Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:57 pm

Was hoping to catch the end of the game when i got home tonight like i was doing in this last homestand. caught highlights instead and holy fuck kuzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz caught fire
nice win and gave the rockets their first loss with cp3 in the lineup :cool:
was interesting and exciting to see the team without the two rentals for this season lopez and kcp
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:26 am

Seems like something's clicked for ball after he hit the smooth elbow jumper against I think the rockets. It's like a night and day difference. Everybody loved to talk about how he can't shoot but they aren't saying anything now that he's turned it around.

Lonzo Ball’s averages in his last five games:

17.2 points
7.2 rebounds
6.4 assists
1.2 blocks
1.2 steals
46.7 FG%
49.1 3PT%

He also leads the team in rebounding for the season as well
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Jackal on Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:11 am

Man, I'm so glad KCP is on a one year. Dude tries hero ball a la Kobe and it's just brick after brick. Josh Harts solid defense also makes KCP seem even less attractive. He's better on the perimeter but Hart holds his own on switches on to bigs. He's fine whenever he's playing within the confines of the offense but once the game is on the line he just goes Kobe-trash mode.

No way in hell he's recuperating the amount of money he turned down in Detroit, that's for sure.
Jackal

Postby [Q] on Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:28 am

Plus Hart always plays within his own skill set. He doesn't do more than he is capable of and is percentage wise a better 3 point shooter than kcp (obviously with less volume)
That point about switching is important because they switch on every screen
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby air gordon on Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:43 am

Too bad Ingram and ball got hurt. They seemed to be playing well
Jump.
air gordon

Postby [Q] on Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:14 pm

Lakers are signing Gary Payton to a two- way deal. Hopefully he replaces Tyler Ennis in the lineup
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Jackal on Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:17 am

It's shocking how bad this team looks without Ball & Ingram. They are basically a G-League team without those two.
Jackal

Postby air gordon on Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:44 pm

So what do you say, lakers contingency? Lakers pay a visit to the windy city. Both teams have near identical records and most likely missing their starting pg's

Seems like the lakers or perhaps the media has moved on from the latest from that clown a few weeks back.

Haven't seen much of the lakers games. How's the rebuild going so far?

I half thought about starting up a lakers young big 3 vs the bulls young big 3 debate but thought otherwise due to the Homer factor
Jump.
air gordon

Postby [Q] on Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:49 pm

Lonzo was such a big piece of the team and to lose him was too much at first. A huge losing streak but then looks like they've figured it out and play ennis less. And finally taking the reins off Clarkson and randle. I really like the way the team is playing right now. Everyone seems to have bought in.

For me it's bittersweet because randle and Clarkson could possibly be building their trade stock bit I'm hoping their contracts or the insistence on taking Deng is enough deterrence from getting them moved
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby NovU on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:50 pm

Do Lakers fans still think the team should go after Paul George? Looking at the Pacers, they are actually looking great despite losing someone of his superstar status and now in solid position to make the playoffs. I think you guys should pass but rather go Hinkie route for one more year unless other better FA shows up. I think Paul Geroge won't speed up the rebuilding process but hinder.

Might need one more season to figure out who are Lakers' Simmons/Embiid, keepers, and who are Nerlens and MCW, giveaways. Verdict on Ingram isn't out yet. But Lonzo's looking not too bad.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby [Q] on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:34 pm

I mean, I like the group of guys right now and they'll be pretty good a couple years from now but a Max player will certainly help speed up the process. If it's Paul George specifically, I'm thinking he might just stay in okc unless if he's just a really good actor. They should go for a Max player if they can get one without mortgaging the future, I.e. renouncing randle.

Options are pretty slim if you don't hit the jackpot
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Jackal on Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:49 am

PG has been hinting he's staying in OKC long term. Especially after WB sticking up for him big time.

Fuck it. Let these guys grow Warriors style. What else can they do? Don't pay Randle more than 15 million though.
Jackal

Postby air gordon on Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:58 am

ingram looked good against the bulls.. overall they looked good. lakers have the guys to step up at the point while the bulls have... jerian grant lol. and the bulls really have no one to counter tall wing players.

i wouldn't put much stock into players making hints at this point of the season.

waiting for ball to get back already. had some good games before he got hurt
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Jackal on Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:28 am

Another solid game by Ingram, 16-8-10 to end the night against the Nets. I really have high hopes for this kid. He's only 20. :o
Jackal

Postby [Q] on Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:14 pm

I really like the move of starting Hart and not playing that piece of hot garbage Ennis. Hart responds by giving the team exactly what the starting lineup needed. It goes to show that he really wasn't that good to begin with if he was starting but isn't playing over Caruso.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Jackal on Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:56 am

I think Luke still lost us a couple of games due to his infatuation with Ennis. Ennis is terrible, that dude should be playing in China, not even the G-League.

Hart with another double double with rebounds after the stellar job in Brooklyn. What's the move when Ball comes back? Move Hart to the bench or KCP?

Julius is playing his ass off, he went head to head with Anthony and really made good use of his strength against him. Dude is going to get paid.

Ingram with another solid game of 16-5-5, have I mentioned I love that kid? Fantastic block on Anthony in the fourth too.

3-2 on the trip, not too bad of a showing with Ball basically being out all of January. Hopefully he recovers to the point where he can play pain free after the all star break.

Any trades/rumors you guys buy in to? If there was a market for KCP I wouldn't be opposed to offloading him. He takes some really questionable shots off screens, his defense is pretty overhyped and Hart's effort has sort of made KCP's game seem expendable.

It's fun watching Laker basketball again. Couldn't say that for a few years there.

Edit: James Worthy is the best.

https://streamable.com/uezah
Jackal

Postby [Q] on Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:17 am

I think they've found something with your boy running the point. I wouldn't mind Hart over KCP when ball comes back but that won't happen. Sucks to see Kuz kinda level off, but sure as hell glad to see Randle get his shit together and be the best big man on the team. He's arguably the best free throw shooter on the team now. But it makes me nervous that this great play is building trade value for him and Clarkson. Hopefully the Lakers are asking for too much and won't dump them for nothing this week.
Lopez has been jacking up less threes and is playing more in the post which helps.
When ball comes back, backup PG becomes an issue as Ingram starts and Luke is opposed to Clarkson at that spot. Could play Caruso which I don't mind but that's just less minutes for everyone else
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball