Lakers Thread

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby NovU on Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:24 am

To think about it now, Grant Hill would have been real good. Wonder what was the factor in his decision to choose Sterling instead.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby _Steve_ on Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:56 am

NovU wrote:To think about it now, Grant Hill would have been real good. Wonder what was the factor in his decision to choose Sterling instead.

Metta and Antawn Jamison in the rotation. IIRC Hill signed with the Clips after Lakers got Jamison...
“Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.” - Mark Twain
_Steve_

Postby Andrew on Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:36 am

Yeah, I'm guessing the bigger role/playing time that'll likely be the case with the Clippers.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Bruce on Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:54 pm

Badshotter wrote:T-Mac with the veteran minimum.

This seems like an idea that could become a possibility. T-Mac as a veteran has pratically seen in all, but I am not sure he can provide stability coming off the bench.

I was thinking maybe the Lakers needs a gritty defender rather than a shooter. But looking at the performance of the Lakers young players in the summer league, well, they stunk. I was placing a lot of hope on Eyenga developing more into a supporting role. I think he has the physical tools to be a great defender, but his offense still isn't quite there. He could have easily replace the void Shannon Brown left, but maybe there is still a little time for him to do that. But I was thinking too, since the Lakers already re-signed Hill and has Jamison signing soon, McRoberts becomes the odd man out. Maybe the Lakers can trade him for a guard forward that can rough it out with the quicker guard forwards of the opposing team. I was thinking maybe the Lakers can trade away McRoberts for somebody like Marquis Daniels or CJ Miles.
YEAH BOY!
Bruce

Postby shadowgrin on Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:50 pm

Bruce wrote:T-Mac as a veteran has pratically seen in all.

Except past the 1st round of the playoffs lolololol
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby NovU on Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:10 pm

Andrew wrote:Yeah, I'm guessing the bigger role/playing time that'll likely be the case with the Clippers.

At age of 40, it's surprising.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Andrew on Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:58 pm

He's still posting respectable numbers given his role, and has remained healthy the past few years. Still a bit left in the tank, he's still finding ways to contribute.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Bruce on Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:00 pm

NovU wrote:
Andrew wrote:Yeah, I'm guessing the bigger role/playing time that'll likely be the case with the Clippers.

At age of 40, it's surprising.

When men make strange decisions, it is usually the fault of the wife or girlfriend. I'm thinking, his wife wants to be in LA (previously it was stated she wanted to go to NY), but does not want her husband to be paid min $$$. :lol:

shadowgrin wrote:
Bruce wrote:T-Mac as a veteran has pratically seen in all.

Except past the 1st round of the playoffs lolololol

:lol:
YEAH BOY!
Bruce

Postby koberulz on Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:18 am

Bruce wrote:When men make strange decisions, it is usually the fault of the wife or girlfriend.

This is quite obviously sensible, grounded in fact, and in no way some absurd generalisation you just pulled out of your ass.
koberulz
Everything I say is false.

Postby NovU on Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:39 am

Kobe Bryant dropped 16 pounds for the Olympics and beyond
In 2008, Bryant led Team USA to the gold medal in part by setting an intense tone in practices and games, particularly on the defensive end.

Now try that with goofball LeBawn in the lead pack. x3 harder

Anyways, wow. Kobe really really looks skinny. More speed? Resurrected explosiveness? I can't wait to see him on court.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Patr1ck on Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:34 am

I hope it's conditioning and not just weight loss. Getting lighter can make you quicker, however the drawback is it could be more injury prone when faced with more physical play if you aren't well conditioned physically, regardless of weight.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:31 pm

And perhaps a little easier to push around in the post, though it's not like he's suddenly obtained a Manute Bol-type physique.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Bruce on Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:37 am

Eddie Jordan to the Lakers as assistant, read about it here.

I like this move, for me Eddie installed a great up tempo game in Washington and Philadelphia coupled with Mike Brown's emphasis on defense. I think it was also Jordan who installed the up tempo game too in the years where Kidd and Martin made the finals with the Nets. The two coaches could potentially be perfect complements of each other.
YEAH BOY!
Bruce

Postby Spree#8 on Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:06 am

Jordan's tenure in Philadelphia was nowhere near great on either end of the court and they didn't play up-tempo at all (23rd pace in the league). Either way, they were terrible. Injuries definitely contributed to that, but the fact remains. He might be alright as an assistant, but don't expect anything big from him.
Spree#8

Postby shadowgrin on Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:11 am

Bruce wrote:I like this move, for me Eddie installed a great up tempo game in Washington and Philadelphia...I think it was also Jordan who installed the up tempo game too in the years where Kidd and Martin made the finals with the Nets.

lol nope.
Sixers offense/tempo under Jordan was ugly that players wanted him to concentrate on defense instead of offense.
With the Wizards he let Arenas, Jamison, Hughes, and Butler freedom to run what they want on offense. If those players strictly followed Jordan's offense they would have ended up like the Sixers and revolted.
As for the Nets, Jason Kidd. Just ask Byron Scott.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby stereoxide on Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:37 pm

Bruce wrote:I like this move, for me Eddie installed a great up tempo game in Washington and Philadelphia coupled with Mike Brown's emphasis on defense. I think it was also Jordan who installed the up tempo game too in the years where Kidd and Martin made the finals with the Nets. The two coaches could potentially be perfect complements of each other.

If they want uptempo game they should have just hired D'Antoni as assistant coach. :lol:
stereoxide

Postby Jayson Silverio on Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:35 am

Barbosa to the lakers? lets wait and see :crazyeyes:
http://www.nba.com/video/channels/nba_t ... rbosa.nba/
Jayson Silverio

Postby Its_asdf on Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:09 pm

C.J Miles signed with the Lakers... I personally like him more as an acquisition than Barbosa.

Edit: Oops, for some reason I thought he went to Los Angeles. Anyway, Barbosa is garbage. I think there are better options out there if you want an energy scorer off the bench.
Last edited by Its_asdf on Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Its_asdf
I'm kind of a big deal.

Postby Lamrock on Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:19 pm

Miles signed with the Cavs, actually.
Lamrock

Postby NovU on Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:08 pm

So where do you think the Lakers stand now? Do you guys think their offseason movements put the Lakers over the top to become one of the elites in the league? Say, are they in the same class with the Heat, Thunder, Spurs?
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Fresh8 on Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:14 pm

NovU wrote:So where do you think the Lakers stand now? Do you guys think their offseason movements put the Lakers over the top to become one of the elites in the league? Say, are they in the same class with the Heat, Thunder, Spurs?

Same class but not at the top. If they get favorable match ups, they can make WCF and push OKC to the brink. I do believe we are 1-2 athletic wing players away from really competing for the title. Nash and Jamison are HUGE pick ups. But they only help us offensively. Hopefully, defense will be strong if Nash passing to Bynum and Gasol will motivate them on the other end of the floor. There's no reason why this team cannot win it all even with Nash at the helm because we have 2 of the best 7 footers in the world.

All comes down to how much each and every player on this team wants it. I have the gravest concern for our small forward position. I am coming to reality that MWP is not the answer as our starting small forward.
Fresh8
The poster formerly known as Sit

Postby NovU on Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:32 pm

Last season, I remember saying that the Lakers weren't relevant anymore mainly because the team fared pretty bad despite having better roster/coach in the previous season. This offseason, I thought the Lakers did a pretty damn good job adding some great players. They possibly belong to the top contenders once again. My concern would be young talented Thunder with high energy though. Even aged yet great Spurs couldn't keep up. Going to be interesting to see how aged key additions like Nash and Jamison will make a difference against the Thunder for the Lakers.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Andrew on Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:15 am

Nash makes them an even more dangerous offensive team with his passing and his shooting, the latter of which is probably overlooked because the former is so impressive. That may put them over the top but defensively speaking, he's not going to be a lot of help against someone like Russell Westbrook.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Jackal on Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:37 am

Adrian Wojnarowski: Orlando and the L.A. Lakers are engaged in 4-way talks with Denver and Philadelphia on a Dwight Howard blockbuster, league sources tell Y!

There are multiple moving parts in the fluid talks, but the framework of a possible deal includes Howard and Denver forward Al Harrington going to the Lakers, Philadelphia guard Andre Iguodala going to the Nuggets, Los Angeles center Andrew Bynum moving to the 76ers, and Los Angeles forward Pau Gasol and Denver guard Arron Affalo going to the Magic, sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Whut? Bynum AND Gasol? :?
Jackal

Postby _Steve_ on Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:59 am

Giving away Pau and Bynum to get Howard and Al Harrington? I wouldn't like that move...
“Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.” - Mark Twain
_Steve_

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball