Lakers Thread

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby NovU on Tue May 30, 2017 8:59 am

How about the worst case? Austin Daye and Adam Morrison on steroid off the top of my head imo
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby Jackal on Wed May 31, 2017 3:52 am

He's already way better than those guys, how can they be the worst case scenario? Worst case he becomes a Jeff Green type player. Flashes of excellence, potential to be a franchise player but ultimately decent at a few things but doesn't really excel at anything in particular. Forgettable is the word I suppose. Statistically they aren't too far off from each others' first season.

Those two guys are fuckin scrubs. :?
Jackal

Postby air gordon on Wed May 31, 2017 7:25 am

Highlight vids are great. The key is to stay strong in your convictions, mislead or not

Jeff green has some remarkable highlight reel dunks. In transition he is a force. I bet he would be great on Gsw

I have no clue about daye Whats his story?
Fire GarPax
air gordon

Postby Jackal on Wed May 31, 2017 7:37 am

That's why I like to think he's the worst case scenario comparison. Green was awesome as a third/fourth best player on the Thunder team. Ingram could become that if it's the worst case.

What I recall about Austin Daye is Ben had a hardon for him and was praising him to the moon and back. Got traded without making much noise on the Pistons (with old Prince ahead of him) and didn't do much on the Spurs either. The Spurs quit on you and it's almost certain to me you won't be much in the league.

Sure enough he fizzled out of the league without anything noteworthy. I just don't see that happening to Ingram.
Jackal

Postby [Q] on Wed May 31, 2017 8:41 am

Daye is another example of someone dominating in high school against inferior competition but is only so so against other talented players
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Optimist
NLSC Team Member

Postby NovU on Wed May 31, 2017 12:14 pm

Jackal, that's why I added Daye and Adam "on steroid".

Daye was long and had soft touch. But no good consistency in his shot at all. Also couldn't absorb contact. Sounds familiar...
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Jackal on Wed May 31, 2017 9:21 pm

Still an odd comparison. Daye and Morisson had questionable athletic abilities, seemed to shy away from contact and lacked explosiveness. Also I'm fairly certain you don't watch Laker games. Ingram does pretty well with contact despite being lanky as fuck.

Brandon Ingram - AK47 off of steroids.

Anyways, we'll have to see what kind of player he turns out to be. Hopefully at least serviceable and at the most a franchise player.
Jackal

Postby air gordon on Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:24 am

If you had the choice between Simmons or Ingram, who would you rather have??!
Fire GarPax
air gordon

Postby Jackal on Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:01 am

Probably Simmons, he's been described as a generational talent. I'm really intrigued to see him on the court; from the articles he's being made out to be a Lebron-esque player with a worse jump shot.
Jackal

Postby [Q] on Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:40 pm

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUuz1E9AEI-/ :shock:

He's in the final year of his deal since he missed his rookie year with the broken leg. I'm hoping for big things from him this year. Hopefully with the weight loss, he plays less out-of-control "bully ball" and with more technique this year
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Optimist
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:43 pm

Impressive dedication to fitness there. Hopefully for the Lakers, he puts the same amount of work into his game.
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Release Threads: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Threads: NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
Orange Juice, haha!
Administrator

Postby NovU on Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:18 pm

Reminds me of Bosh who showed up bulked up for the season start. But unfortunately he couldn't keep up and by mid season he was back to his old skinny self.

Excited to see new Randle in shape nonetheless. (Y)
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Bruce on Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:04 pm

the reason I dislike Randle is that when he pushed the ball or get touches around the rim, it feels as though he has mitts on his hands.
YEAH BOY!
Bruce

Postby Jackal on Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:40 am

NovU wrote:Reminds me of Bosh who showed up bulked up for the season start. But unfortunately he couldn't keep up and by mid season he was back to his old skinny self.

Excited to see new Randle in shape nonetheless. (Y)

Interesting to note that the previous seasons' trainer was let go by the Lakers and a new guy (Gunner something) has been hired to train the guys now.

This isn't Gunner's work, it's Randle's own guy but the previous trainer is partially to blame if Randle was in that shape in the first place. But I had mentioned him being lethargic and taking plays off on the defensive end so I'm looking forward to how the new trainer implements and upholds his new regiment and how the players respond to it.

In other news: Clarkson deals are being actively pursued. I'm all right with it as long as Deng or Mozzie are included in whatever trade is accepted. Otherwise I think he's a solid 6th man on a very friendly contract. If the team takes one of Deng or Moz though...
Jackal

Postby [Q] on Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:54 am

Are you talking about Gary vitti?

Clarkson is a great 6th man for a tanking team but I think he's a starting 2 guard on a lot of teams, or at least the bad teams
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Optimist
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:54 am

That would've been Gary Vitti, yeah. He had a long tenure with the Lakers.
Release Threads: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Threads: NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
Orange Juice, haha!
Administrator

Postby Jackal on Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:38 am

Shame on you guys for not knowing Gary retired the same year as Kobe. That was his last game as a Laker too.

Nah, they replaced Tim DeFranseco with Gunnar Peterson.

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news ... 017/05/24/

Vitti was the head trainer, this is one of the guys that worked under him. Basically the head guy for strength and conditioning. (And now that's Peterson's task.)

Marco Nuñez has taken over Vitti's position, he worked under Vitti for the longest while and could be seen tending to a lot of Kobe injuries with Vitti. So he's the head trainer now.
Jackal

Postby NovU on Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:17 am

I hear Lonzo Ball is a surefire first pick as he has been clearly head and shoulder above his competition. Despite the weakness and let downs in college, his numbers were way too good to ignore. Sure, he comes with baggage, his dad, but is that really too big of a worry, some other dads have been idiots in the past, just never happened to make it Lavar big on media.

Kinda excited for the Lakers. If Lonzo is the real deal... think about the future of this team.
1) Ball
2) Russell
3) Ingram
4) Randle
5) who cares

So many high picks
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby air gordon on Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:55 am

I heard a rather interesting Ball comparison on dunked on podcast. On the cast they were discussing not many players of ball's usg translated into Star player type. Ricky Rubio's name came up

Thoughts?

Prolly the UCLA team afforded Ball more spacing than the current Lakers squad does. Maybe this allowed him to play more the oriented vs looking more for his own shot?
Fire GarPax
air gordon

Postby Sauru on Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:56 am

all i know is if ball wants to have a all star level career he is going to need to fix that shot or he is going to be getting blocked a lot.
Sauru

Postby Jackal on Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:18 pm

It'll be interesting to see how he does in the NBA. His shot looks weird as fuck and I'm not sure if he's a PG or a SG. A Lonzo DLo backcourt is going to be pretty atrocious on the defensive end if Ball is anything like Russel in the trend of tweener guard.
Jackal

Postby [Q] on Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:23 pm

Ball is more of a willing passer/distributor so I tihnk it could still work with them two but I'd prefer Clarkson than Russell at the 2
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Optimist
NLSC Team Member

Postby NovU on Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:29 pm

air gordon wrote:On the cast they were discussing not many players of ball's usg translated into Star player type.

Interesting point. But I have to think comparison wasn't entirely fair. Did they take account of his unseen level of stats? College numbers are often deceiving but most players come from the same playground of college so stats still mean a little.

How Lonzo Ball stacks up against past top passing NBA prospects

ORtg of 131.3
TS% .673
PER 24.7 at 18.1 usg%.

Unreal though it's only college numbers and how his game translates into NBA ball remains to be seen. But we know this kid played smart and was very selective in shot attempts.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby air gordon on Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:28 am

Yeah it wasn't a box him in type comparison. Merely complimentary of his bball IQ and low usg

Obviously it's not an accurate comparison with his alley oops

Good discussion on whether or not he is just limited to going to his left for a dribble jumper
Fire GarPax
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:40 pm

Still seeing some reports here and there that the Lakers aren't taking Lonzo. Still misdirection, or is it possible they've had misgivings about drafting him?

Andrew
Orange Juice, haha!
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:13 pm

the lakers not drafting ball would be the greatest thing to happen this off season. lavar would be so fucking salty it would be comedy gold.
Sauru

Postby NovU on Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:46 pm

I think the Celtics should just draft Lonzo who is the best player avail regardless of Ball Family's wants. See if he can play with Isaiah Thomas. IT is pretty average in AST/TO so Lonzo perhaps can play together and be an impact guy right away. Or should the Celtics trade down and draft big man, they could go for Zach Collins or Tacko Fall. The Celtics already have many small players.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Sauru on Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:19 pm

drafting ball or trading down would both be mistakes for the celtics. luckily phil jackson is not in charge of boston so we should be ok
Sauru

Postby [Q] on Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:27 am

So the Lakers soured on Ball after his workout? Jackson has a guarantee at #2 or #3 so good chance the Lakers go with him. Plus, they wouldn't be duplicating at the PG position
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Optimist
NLSC Team Member

Postby shadowgrin on Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:26 am

air gordon wrote:I heard a rather interesting Ball comparison on dunked on podcast. On the cast they were discussing not many players of ball's usg translated into Star player type. Ricky Rubio's name came up

Thoughts?

Despite Lonzo's wonky shot mechanics he's a better shooter than Rubio.
Lonzo's shot isn't even as bad as Shawn Marion's

Based it on Lonzo's college usg% for comparison... http://bkref.com/tiny/0v4Cl ... still looks good if you consider Conley and Celtics Rondo as star players. IF.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
NLSC's Jefferson Davis/The Questioneer

Postby Andrew on Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:40 am

NBADraft.net has the Lakers taking Josh Jackson, while DraftExpress still has Lonzo going second overall. Order aside, they've got the same top five, with Fultz going number one.

Andrew
Orange Juice, haha!
Administrator

Postby air gordon on Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:22 am

I think it's gamesmanship now as the draft gets closer

My guess is lala knows who they want and are just fishing for some trade offers with these "reports"
Fire GarPax
air gordon

Postby [Q] on Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:57 am

air gordon wrote:I think it's gamesmanship now as the draft gets closer

My guess is lala knows who they want and are just fishing for some trade offers with these "reports"

I think there's a possibility they're throwing people off the scent as well. If they keep people in suspense, they'll have more options. If everyone knows they want Lonzo, Boston could take him and ruin their plans or take and trade him for more assets
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Optimist
NLSC Team Member

Postby shadowgrin on Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:41 am

Celtics picking Lonzo only to trade him for more assets doesn't make any sense.
They could easily do that with just the pick itself or with picking then trading away Fultz who is considered more valuable than Lonzo.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
NLSC's Jefferson Davis/The Questioneer

Postby [Q] on Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:18 am

I guess I meant threatening to take lonzo and forcing the Lakers to trade up
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Optimist
NLSC Team Member

Postby NovU on Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:07 am

LeBron a Laker?
Adrian Wojnarowski: People around NBA feel LeBron James ‘likely’ to join Lakers or Clippers

https://sports.yahoo.com/adrian-wojnaro ... 16967.html

Would you Lakers fanbois want 34-38 year old LBJ? That's grandpa age for most sports. This is just a wild speculation but fun nonetheless. G'one Woj. Share me some of your crack, must be goood
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Andrew on Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:22 am

Lonzo's back at second overall to the Lakers in updated mock drafts, but he's also meeting with some other lottery teams. Perhaps the Ball family don't have total confidence that the Lakers will take him, even if that's once again the current projection.

Andrew
Orange Juice, haha!
Administrator

Postby Jackal on Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:43 am

Adrian Wojnarowski wrote:Sources: All-Star Paul George tells Pacers he plans to leave franchise in 2018 free agency, prefers Lakers.

Goodness, I really hope this happens and it actually works out.

They won't be able to sign him to the 30 million contract though so I wonder what's going to go down between now and 2018. He could just be traded to the Warriors for Klay or some shit and love it. Also George has been adamant about not playing the 4, Ingram certainly can't so does that mean Ingram comes off the bench?

But that's getting way ahead of ourselves.
Jackal

Postby Sauru on Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:20 am

i hate the lakers so damn much. it has to be the easiest job in the world. everyone in the league wants to go there. they dont even have to be good and they still land top free agents. shit players still on contract openly talk of their desire to join the lakers totally killing their current teams chances of getting any value for them.
Sauru

Postby Jackal on Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:04 am

Sauru wrote:i hate the lakers so damn much. it has to be the easiest job in the world. everyone in the league wants to go there. they dont even have to be good and they still land top free agents. shit players still on contract openly talk of their desire to join the lakers totally killing their current teams chances of getting any value for them.

Lakers to you:

Jackal

Postby Sauru on Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:48 am

i figured it was about time i bitched about the lakers. get you back on the sauru dislike train
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:48 am

There's also rumours of George being traded to the Cavs.

Would you trade the number two pick for George?

Andrew
Orange Juice, haha!
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:40 am

Andrew wrote:There's also rumours of George being traded to the Cavs.

Would you trade the number two pick for George?

no way. i mean i would love to see it happen as the ball family would just spontaneously combust but no. no way in hell do i trade the 2 for PG if i am the lakers not when you can just wait a year and get him for nothing. honestly waiting a year is probably the best thing for them anyway. give them young players time to play before george comes in and takes over the team. however they might want to consider some deal if the cavs come close to acquiring george as winning a ring, or even coming real close could be enough to get him to resign
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:42 am

Good point. There'd still be some risk as while he prefers the Lakers, he could change his tune if he ends up going somewhere else this offseason and liking it. Patience certainly could pay off, though.

Andrew
Orange Juice, haha!
Administrator

Postby zzcoolj21 on Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:20 pm

NBA Live called it. NBA is rigged.
zzcoolj21
Kyrie Truther aka The NLSC's Jr Smith

Postby Sauru on Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:09 pm

off season is already more exciting than the entire 16/17 nba season
Sauru

Postby NovU on Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:16 pm

Woow. Paul George as a Cav? This would counter KD addition very well. However more meaningless 82 games. Only the Finals would be worth interests.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Sauru on Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:40 pm

NovU wrote:Woow. Paul George as a Cav? This would counter KD addition very well. However more meaningless 82 games. Only the Finals would be worth interests.

but at least the finals would be interesting. thats a step up from last year
Sauru

Postby NovU on Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:34 pm

Still the Warriors win it easy over the Cavs imho. It's probably a lot the Cavs would have to give up. And KD and Curry are still far better players than George ever was.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Sauru on Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:43 pm

NovU wrote:Still the Warriors win it easy over the Cavs imho. It's probably a lot the Cavs would have to give up. And KD and Curry are still far better players than George ever was.

this is why i dont trade anything for george if i am the lakers. sign him outright? fuck yes, but give away assets for him? no thanks. he is not a game changer imo for the lakers. now as for the cavs if they can get him without giving up lebron (obvious) kyrie, kevin, or tristan then shit gets interesting but what are the odds that happens? i mean his trade value is super low but someone will give something for a 1 year rental with the intent to try and convince him to re-up
Sauru

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball