Lakers Thread

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby NovU on Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:26 pm

Lavar in reality is a distraction from the real problem, nothing more or nothing less. I have a feeling people will somehow always find a way to put weight on any failure of Lonzo or Lakers upon Lavar or family issues. It's not as if Lavar has any power to influence Lakers organizations decision. As for family issues, I really see no problem there neither. He's a typical old fashioned strong father figure, might be bit stuck up and egoistic but at the end of the day, he has been a good guidance and father for his sons and been successful as a business man allowing him to provide for his family. Looking out in the best interest of his son is a nice thing regardless what media wants to portrait it as. This media hate hype is just stupid. Wade's mom was druggy, lived without dad, LeBron same. Lonzo's from a perfectly healthy family with family oriented father. Lavar rather should be applauded for raising his kid right.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Image
Enjoy! <3 Jao
User avatar
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?
 
Posts: 11211
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:50 pm

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby air gordon on Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:04 am

so what's the real problem? the kardashians?
I'm not familiar with military artillery
Robin Lopez
User avatar
air gordon
 
Posts: 7500
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2002 4:06 pm
Location: windy city

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby NovU on Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:13 am

It's coming, in series. Starting with new max player in town next season.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Image
Enjoy! <3 Jao
User avatar
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?
 
Posts: 11211
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:50 pm

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby Sauru on Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:49 pm

NovU wrote: Lonzo's from a perfectly healthy family with family oriented father. Lavar rather should be applauded for raising his kid right.



i continue to say how well lavar has done. the man is getting all 3 of his kids paid and he helped hype his son all the way to the second pick in the nba draft. the man may be loud and annoying but he did he job as a father
User avatar
Sauru
 
Posts: 7698
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 11:01 am

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby [Q] on Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:52 am

Was talking to my friend about the shaq Kobe interview and how great it was to take a trip down memory lane. Made me think of all my favorite Lakers through the years:

1. Magic Johnson
2. Lamar Odom
3. Eddie Jones
4. Caron Butler
5. Byron Scott
6. Kobe
7. Slava Medvedenko
8. Nick Van Exel
9. Shaq
10. Glen Rice

Honorable mention: kuz, Randle, Clarkson, metta, ariza, barnes, AC, Kareem, wilt, Payton (would be top 10 if he stayed longer), Nash, peeler
Image
User avatar
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member
 
Posts: 12765
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2002 8:20 am
Location: Westside, the best side

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby Andrew on Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:22 am

No love for Cedric Ceballos?
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Image
Contact: Email | Twitter
Release Threads: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Threads: NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube


Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Image
Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
User avatar
Andrew
45? That's a bad luck number!
Administrator
 
Posts: 103981
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2002 8:51 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby shadowgrin on Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:27 am

Mike Penberthy > Lonzo Ball
Mark Madsen > Randle/Kuzma
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer
 
Posts: 22994
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2002 6:21 am
Location: In your mind

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby [Q] on Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:56 pm

Andrew wrote:No love for Cedric Ceballos?

Eh, he was okay. Not one of my favorites. I did like penberthy though.

Ah shit I forgot Lin played for the Lakers. He'd be an honorable mention. Higher if he played more. They were dicking him around in his contract Year starting Ronnie price over him. Almost as bad as starting / playing ennis this year over anyone or Clarkson
Image
User avatar
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member
 
Posts: 12765
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2002 8:20 am
Location: Westside, the best side

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby dwayne2005 on Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:42 am

Interesting fact on Isaiah Thomas. Right next to Isaiah's 40% from the field and 30% from the 3 point range, he is currently the second highest scorer on the Lakers by True Shooting Percentage courtesy of his free throw streak and knack for getting to the foul line. He is currently at 56.2% (13.2 PPG).

Players better than him: Josh Hart 58.3% (6.6 PPG), the traded Larry Nance Jr. 61.8% (8.6 PPG), Ivica Zubac 63.1% (3.3 PPG) and Andrew Bogut 69.6% (1.5 PPG). There is only one other double figure scorer higher than Isaiah Thomas right now and that is Julius Randle at 60.1% (14.8 PPG). Jordan Clarkson was at 53.2% (14.5 PPG).

So his present shooting form actually isn't that bad! He isn't that disastrous right now. Even during his stint at Cleveland, he had a TS% of 49.3%, which didn't reach Kobe Bryant levels of 46.9%.

5 games is too small a pool to draw conclusions from andit seems others are playing better than him at this stretch, so I don't think you can consider him starter worthy yet. Right now, he is probably average between 4th and 6th best player on court. But even if he starts missing at the line, there are potential indications his shooting percentages are on the rise. His turnovers are coming down, too; last game going 1 turnover from 5 assists.
dwayne2005
 
Posts: 240
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:00 pm

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:56 am

dwayne2005 wrote:Interesting fact on Isaiah Thomas. Right next to Isaiah's 40% from the field and 30% from the 3 point range, he is currently the second highest scorer on the Lakers by True Shooting Percentage courtesy of his free throw streak and knack for getting to the foul line. He is currently at 56.2% (13.2 PPG).

Players better than him: Josh Hart 58.3% (6.6 PPG), the traded Larry Nance Jr. 61.8% (8.6 PPG), Ivica Zubac 63.1% (3.3 PPG) and Andrew Bogut 69.6% (1.5 PPG). There is only one other double figure scorer higher than Isaiah Thomas right now and that is Julius Randle at 60.1% (14.8 PPG). Jordan Clarkson was at 53.2% (14.5 PPG).

So his present shooting form actually isn't that bad! He isn't that disastrous right now. Even during his stint at Cleveland, he had a TS% of 49.3%, which didn't reach Kobe Bryant levels of 46.9%.

5 games is too small a pool to draw conclusions from andit seems others are playing better than him at this stretch, so I don't think you can consider him starter worthy yet. Right now, he is probably average between 4th and 6th best player on court. But even if he starts missing at the line, there are potential indications his shooting percentages are on the rise. His turnovers are coming down, too; last game going 1 turnover from 5 assists.


He takes 3.5 free throws a game. His sweet spot is clearly 10-16 feet, where he's shooting .500% in his 6 games with the Lakers. (Which would be the second highest of his career)

I love Thomas, hes one of my favorite players, but he doesn't look right. Hopefully he can regain his form, but he certainly helps you guys on the second unit. He clearly has the confidence to shoot at a high volume when he is in, he just needs to shake off the rust (And get his body right).

So strange watching him in this role after watching him in Boston. Sometimes it hurts to see it.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA
User avatar
Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 6556
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:34 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby [Q] on Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:11 am

He also winds up on the floor often on offense and defense so I don't know how beneficial it is to play 4 on 5
Image
User avatar
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member
 
Posts: 12765
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2002 8:20 am
Location: Westside, the best side

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby Sauru on Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:33 pm

[Q] wrote:Was talking to my friend about the shaq Kobe interview and how great it was to take a trip down memory lane. Made me think of all my favorite Lakers through the years:

1. Magic Johnson
2. Lamar Odom
3. Eddie Jones
4. Caron Butler
5. Byron Scott
6. Kobe
7. Slava Medvedenko
8. Nick Van Exel
9. Shaq
10. Glen Rice

Honorable mention: kuz, Randle, Clarkson, metta, ariza, barnes, AC, Kareem, wilt, Payton (would be top 10 if he stayed longer), Nash, peeler




rick fox is my favorite laker of all time
User avatar
Sauru
 
Posts: 7698
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 11:01 am

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby NovU on Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:04 pm

Mitch Richmond and Payton Payton are two players I liked but hated the fact that they joined the Lakers.

I would have to go with Nick Van Exel and Edie Jones. Jeremy Lin too makes the candidate.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Image
Enjoy! <3 Jao
User avatar
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?
 
Posts: 11211
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:50 pm

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby [Q] on Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:51 pm

Sauru wrote:
[Q] wrote:Was talking to my friend about the shaq Kobe interview and how great it was to take a trip down memory lane. Made me think of all my favorite Lakers through the years:

1. Magic Johnson
2. Lamar Odom
3. Eddie Jones
4. Caron Butler
5. Byron Scott
6. Kobe
7. Slava Medvedenko
8. Nick Van Exel
9. Shaq
10. Glen Rice

Honorable mention: kuz, Randle, Clarkson, metta, ariza, barnes, AC, Kareem, wilt, Payton (would be top 10 if he stayed longer), Nash, peeler




rick fox is my favorite laker of all time

Of course the long time Celtic. He definitely loses points in my book for that lol
Image
User avatar
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member
 
Posts: 12765
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2002 8:20 am
Location: Westside, the best side

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:52 pm

I still like Fox, he still said he bled green even when he was with the Lakers. He had some solid years in Boston.

My favorite Celtics off all time is probably Dee Brown. Lakers? Nick Van Exel.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA
User avatar
Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 6556
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:34 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby dwayne2005 on Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:19 am

Thomas's efficiency rose significantly in that game. Now up to 59%, just 3% less than his Top 5 MVP season. 3 point shooting shot up from 31% to 37% in just 1 game. While he was still between 4th and 6th best that night, maybe it is not coincidence: maybe people there are lifting their games beside him? (As opposed to LeBron James throwing a million miles per hour out of bounds passes and pass on wide open looks because he hated IT that much https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnbuQBwltIk. At least two possessions there that one can make a case for point shaving from LeBron far more than IT bailing out of a 5 second closely guarded violation the other day that many don't seem to know exists.)
dwayne2005
 
Posts: 240
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:00 pm

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:16 am

dwayne2005 wrote:Thomas's efficiency rose significantly in that game. Now up to 59%, just 3% less than his Top 5 MVP season. 3 point shooting shot up from 31% to 37% in just 1 game. While he was still between 4th and 6th best that night, maybe it is not coincidence: maybe people there are lifting their games beside him? (As opposed to LeBron James throwing a million miles per hour out of bounds passes and pass on wide open looks because he hated IT that much https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnbuQBwltIk. At least two possessions there that one can make a case for point shaving from LeBron far more than IT bailing out of a 5 second closely guarded violation the other day that many don't seem to know exists.)


Haha, this was really entertaining. So childish. Gotta love that LeBron help D.

Thanks for sharing. I've embedded it for those who don't want to be redirected to youtube.

phpBB [video]
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA
User avatar
Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 6556
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:34 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby NovU on Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:44 am

[Q] wrote:
Sauru wrote:
[Q] wrote:Was talking to my friend about the shaq Kobe interview and how great it was to take a trip down memory lane. Made me think of all my favorite Lakers through the years:

1. Magic Johnson
2. Lamar Odom
3. Eddie Jones
4. Caron Butler
5. Byron Scott
6. Kobe
7. Slava Medvedenko
8. Nick Van Exel
9. Shaq
10. Glen Rice

Honorable mention: kuz, Randle, Clarkson, metta, ariza, barnes, AC, Kareem, wilt, Payton (would be top 10 if he stayed longer), Nash, peeler




rick fox is my favorite laker of all time

Of course the long time Celtic. He definitely loses points in my book for that lol

I'm more surprised neither Lin or Sun made your list.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Image
Enjoy! <3 Jao
User avatar
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?
 
Posts: 11211
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:50 pm

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby [Q] on Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:23 am

As I mentioned I completely forgot Lin was even on the team as a one year rental. Because of the limited time he spent there he'd be an honorable mention
Image
User avatar
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member
 
Posts: 12765
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2002 8:20 am
Location: Westside, the best side

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby Jackal on Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:05 am

Already one game above last years total wins. Sucks Ingram won't be playing against the Spurs tonight due to the collision in Miami. That was a messed up play anyways, no need for it.

Some people were talking out their ass about Zo's defense but dude has been pretty damn impressive for a rookie. He was badgering the ball and had like 6 steals due to his constant ball hawking pressure. Dude just plays the right way, I like it.

I'm back on Julius Randle hill. If he's available for 15 million a year, I'd happily see him back. He makes some boneheaded plays but his motor has been revving since that slump in the beginning of the year. I wanted to see if he'd sustain it passed the all-star break and he's done just that. I hope he keeps it up, hopefully he isn't one of those guys that just plays with effort because it's a financial year.

He should also continue to develop his right hand and his 15-16 jumper, the few jumpers he's taken have been pretty good so switch it up a bit and he'll be even more serviceable.

Loving this young core, I miss Larry's defense but Zu & IT seem to have some decent chemistry on the PnR off the bench.

Hope "Jason" Hart recovers fully before the end of the season too, would like to see him back for the last few games if possible.

Best of luck to Brewer, hopefully he whispers sweet nothings to PG about the Lakers.
Image
User avatar
Jackal
 
Posts: 14804
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2003 2:59 am

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby [Q] on Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:39 am

I haven't seen the last couple of games but seeing highlights of Julius absolutely DOMINATING down low reminds me of the Shaq days. Theyre one of the top teams in scoring in the paint and I'd much rather see them score down there than jack up 3s. Ive said before I like Lonzo's D. it catches you off guard because players don't expect him to be so long (despite his height) and to hustle that hard.
Image
User avatar
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member
 
Posts: 12765
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2002 8:20 am
Location: Westside, the best side

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby Jackal on Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:20 am

I was thinking the same thing during the last game. They showed his bucket chart and it was basically all inside except the first bucket. Last time someone played that much inside was Shaq, was reminded of his dominant bully ball too.

Did you see the Ball-Ingram-Kuzma wallpaper released by the Lakers? Just seeing them so front and center makes me so happy for the future. Biggest Ingram fan over here.
Image
User avatar
Jackal
 
Posts: 14804
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2003 2:59 am

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby Kevin on Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:45 am

Jackal, it's amazing how he's developed this year. From the "Travis Outlaw" comparison to now an almost all-star caliber small forward in years to come.

[Q], julius is a fucking cock-tease. He's so inconsistent sometimes its hard to root for him. You think we'll be paying him this summer?

Jackal, I'm actually surprised with Lonzo's defense. I thought he'd be riding the bench earlier this season because of his shooting slump but his defense earned him some minutes.
User avatar
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics
 
Posts: 7925
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:47 pm
Location: Montreal

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby [Q] on Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:55 am

Yes I agree, I would've liked them to have won more this year to have more to build on next year. Losing Clarkson was a bummer but it will be worth it if a superstar comes. Love Hart's hustle and shockingly zubac has been decent after his last stint in the g league
Image
User avatar
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member
 
Posts: 12765
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2002 8:20 am
Location: Westside, the best side

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby shadowgrin on Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:26 pm

[Q] wrote:Julius absolutely DOMINATING down low reminds me of the Shaq days.

Image
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer
 
Posts: 22994
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2002 6:21 am
Location: In your mind

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby [Q] on Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:55 pm

shadowgrin wrote:
[Q] wrote:Julius absolutely DOMINATING down low reminds me of the Shaq days.

[ Image ]

Dwight Coward.


LOL What happened tonight? They were losing by like 10-12 so I watched UFC and assumed they lost. Even saw the score and still thought they lost by 4 until I looked closer lol

I still cringe whenever Thomas goes airborne especially with the ball. that dude jumps to pass way too often.
Image
User avatar
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member
 
Posts: 12765
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2002 8:20 am
Location: Westside, the best side

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby shadowgrin on Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:54 pm

Lonzo got tired of the jokes about his jumper so he shot 6/10 threes.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer
 
Posts: 22994
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2002 6:21 am
Location: In your mind

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby Jackal on Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:08 am

One of the most frustrating games to watch all season, no doubt. They played ass till like 5.5 left in the 4th. Jesus their first lead came at the 1.59 minute mark.

People comparing Ingram to Outlaw probably don't watch the guy. He's got feel for the game and at 19 years old (last season) that's a lot more you can say for some guys who have been in the league longer. Like Tyler Ennis. That clown is out there just trying to lose games. It's like watching Smush Parker and Ronnie Price all over again when he's out there.

First time in 16 years the Spurs have lost 4 in a row. First time since 2009 have the Lakers won 4 straight on the road. Exciting times to be a Laker fan, future is looking pretty all right after these last few years.

Hope Ingram is well enough to play the Blazers game, missed the Slender Man out there against the Spurs.

Edit: Q this is the umpteenth time you've switched away from the Lakers game and they've ended up winning. Two things: you should've learned your lesson by now and maybe you're causing them to lose so switch away next time they are losing, they somehow come back after you switch away.
Image
User avatar
Jackal
 
Posts: 14804
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2003 2:59 am

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby dwayne2005 on Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:30 am

Dee4Three wrote:Haha, this was really entertaining. So childish. Gotta love that LeBron help D.

Thanks for sharing. I've embedded it for those who don't want to be redirected to youtube.


The least professional behavior I have ever noticed in a basketball court. I noticed certain media seemed to overlook the plays where LeBron just throws the ball away, including the second one when they were only up by 3 points (they went on to lose), while making a mockery of Isaiah Thomas. Which is interesting, because they have been analyzing his plays in depth since Isaiah departed. Guess they lost their scapegoat.

Isaiah's efficiency in the last game was 56%, he didn't suffer despite being sub 40% from the field thanks to 8/8 from the foul line. But once again, he wasn't anywhere near the most efficient player and turned the ball over far too often.

It should also be noted that Isaiah's DFG% for the entire season including his stint with Cleveland is 41%, which is one of the better marks in the league. As I have pointed out time and again, if he has a lack of defense it must be lateral right now. It is not height related, unless the length of the arms helps players laterally. His assignments are not having their ways against him. That said, whenever they do get him to within 10 feet he is a liability. But if you add up everything altogether, you will find that he is a net gain right now. When he was on the Cavs, he actually had the lowest DFG% on his team. Second was Dwyane Wade.

https://stats.nba.com/player/202738/defense-dash/

So how does the unit he play with from the Cavs to the Lakers continually have one of the worst defensive ratings when he is on court? Is his DFG% a result of help he is getting on defense causing gaps in other parts of the court or because the microscope is being put on him and he is trying harder than the average player?
dwayne2005
 
Posts: 240
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:00 pm

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby Jackal on Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:45 am

He gets picked off screens and blown by quite easily in the 8 games I've watched him. The switching doesn't help. They switch him in to the post and in the first few games he just got abused, the last 2-3 games I've seen his teammates make a concentrated effort to come double quick when he's caught down low. Ball and KCP especially seem to react to it quickly.

His body language just irritates me. I get playing with a chip and all that but he's always grumbling/snarling towards the refs after any play he feels he's been slighted for. A bit of a Cousins issue with him in that regard. Just STFU and play on.
Image
User avatar
Jackal
 
Posts: 14804
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2003 2:59 am

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby Bruce on Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:36 pm

just being cautious here, but the 4 straight wins did not come from powerhouse playoff teams. The Spurs win came while the Spurs was without its 2 best players in Aldridge and Kawhii. But, i do hold out hope that the Lakers can compile more wins. As close as the Lakers can get to .500 means that the Lakers would have made them more attractive as a landing spot of top FA players.
YEAH BOY!
User avatar
Bruce
 
Posts: 797
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:21 pm

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby [Q] on Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:34 pm

Sure, no LA and no Leonard but No Ingram and no Hart was arguably a bigger loss considering their roles on the team and without them, they have to play tyler Ennis

That guy is such garbage. He gets owned by all the bench guys on the other teams.
Image
User avatar
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member
 
Posts: 12765
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2002 8:20 am
Location: Westside, the best side

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby Jackal on Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:14 am

God damn, what a heartbreaker against the Blazers. IT missing that free throw and losing control was so disheartening. Lillard is a man among boys, straight up killer. 19 in the fourth, yikes.

I do have to say, IT is a vast improvement over Clarkson off the bench. This group needs a player who can create for themselves and others and Clarkson wasn't very good at both, just for himself. Better fit for him in Cleveland and IT off the bench for LA.
Image
User avatar
Jackal
 
Posts: 14804
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2003 2:59 am

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby [Q] on Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:21 am

Jordan was a better facilitator than what people gave him credit for. He was asked to be a 6th man scoring threat so he wasn't put in that position a lot, especially with them playing him with PGs. Or playing ennis over him

Sorry I still have to defend his honor lol
Image
User avatar
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member
 
Posts: 12765
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2002 8:20 am
Location: Westside, the best side

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:32 am

IT is showing his value, he wasn't allowed to do so in CLE.

I understand that Lopez is shooting 33% from three this season, but him taking threes on the break or early in the shot clock still really bugs me. He's so effective 15 ft/in, he shot 1 for 6 threes in this game. It's another instance of a big trying to expand his game out further, but overdoing it. Around the basket he is so skilled. If that 1 for 6 was 1 for 3, that could be the difference in the game.

I used to not like Julius Randle, but hes growing on me fast. Love his intensity, he's an energy guy with skill. He's also toned down his "Acting" for fouls around the hoop. He used to go up with barely any contact and try to sell fouls all the time, he is going straight up and focusing more on the hoop more now, he's playing basketball. He's shooting .736% from 0-3 ft (By far the best of his career), Blake Griffin is shooting .717%, Anthony Davis is shooting .742%. That's promising company, it means you don't want Julius Randle getting the ball close to the basket. His previous best was .651%.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA
User avatar
Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 6556
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:34 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby dwayne2005 on Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:00 am

That loss was completely on Thomas. Horrible game. 5/21, 1 of 9 from 3 (from previous games, he shoots way behind the line; if the shot isn't coming to you, don't throw them up from half court!)... Got to the foul line, made assists on a decent assist to turnover ratio. Still no defensive stops in either column. Had 4 steals in one game for Cleveland, why isn't he trying to do more of that? That interview where he tried to claim a large amount of credit for their winning streak by motivating them was ridiculous. Comical, even. This was a game where he should have been benched early, what where they doing playing him for 30 minutes? He has a -17 +/- rating while all of the starters except Lonzo Ball had a positive rating. To make matters worse, they lost by 5. If only they had benched Isaiah! If only God had given him a brain that told him to do what he does best when he is doing it. 4 from 12 from 2 point range while drawing fouls... if you must play poorly, do that 9 more times, not throw up idiot 3's. He needs 60-70% from the field nights to make ammends for atrocities like this and he isn't having them.
dwayne2005
 
Posts: 240
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:00 pm

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:07 am

dwayne2005 wrote:That loss was completely on Thomas. Horrible game. 5/21, 1 of 9 from 3 (from previous games, he shoots way behind the line; if the shot isn't coming to you, don't throw them up from half court!)... Got to the foul line, made assists on a decent assist to turnover ratio. Still no defensive stops in either column. Had 4 steals in one game for Cleveland, why isn't he trying to do more of that? That interview where he tried to claim a large amount of credit for their winning streak by motivating them was ridiculous. Comical, even. This was a game where he should have been benched early, what where they doing playing him for 30 minutes? He has a -17 +/- rating while all of the starters except Lonzo Ball had a positive rating. To make matters worse, they lost by 5. If only they had benched Isaiah! If only God had given him a brain that told him to do what he does best when he is doing it. 4 from 12 from 2 point range while drawing fouls... if you must play poorly, do that 9 more times, not throw up idiot 3's.


Agreed on Thomas, I think he's showing his value more in LA, but he needs to be more consistent.

One more thing to add about Randle: Blake Griffin developed his mid range/deep mid range as the years went on. I think Randle needs to put in that work in the offseason to make himself a true threat from 10-16 feet. If he can combine that with his ability to score right around the basket, he would be a hell of a force on the offensive end.

dwayne2005, you talk about IT a lot, guessing you are a big fan of his? Or just like monitoring him closely? (Fascinated by him)
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA
User avatar
Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 6556
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:34 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby Jackal on Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:10 am

Clarkson was terrible at creating for anyone but himself. Him and Randle would totally freeze out the rest of the group and especially Ingram. Not to mention he'd just try the weirdest shit at end of the quarters. Like I said, he's a good creator for himself, he's not a distributor and there's nothing wrong with that.

Thomas played as much as he did because Ball got in to foul trouble early on. In the first he picked up two quick ones and then his third with about 5 and a half remaining in the second. Completely agree with some bad shot selection and his usual abysmal defense.

Luke wasn't doing anyone any favors with a line up of Zu Wear Ball Ennis (!!) and IT in the game though, come on man.

Positive stuff:
Ingram hasn't torn anything in the groin area. Randle is beasting. Lopez was good defensively. KCP has been hot as of late.

Wish they'd give Deng some minutes over Ennis. He can't be worse than Ennis, right? At least he's on the bench now though.
Image
User avatar
Jackal
 
Posts: 14804
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2003 2:59 am

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby dwayne2005 on Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:18 am

Dee4Three wrote:dwayne2005, you talk about IT a lot, guessing you are a big fan of his? Or just like monitoring him closely? (Fascinated by him)


The latter. I am especially driven as a long time crusader against b/s from the media, and seeing him scapegoated in Cleveland for all of the teams issues there. And the fact that I have suffered online abuse over my opinion about his numbers being what they were from last season. I am emotionally involved in seeing him succeed, which makes games like this a dagger to the heart. It is tough to say his game was overall bad. He did get to the foul line and hit 8 of them. He also did get those 7 assists on only 2 turnovers (but he should be aspiring to a double-double when he is as horrendous as that). His overall efficiency was bad, but wasn't as bad as it could have been without making those 8 free throws. And those assists... as I have said before, assists coincide with almost double the gain in +/- on the average to rebounds. So 6 assists may be as valuable as 10 rebounds. 7 assists on a good assist:turnover ratio can be beautiful to the team, so long as you're not wasting your shots as well. I guess you don't get to where you are without an over abundance of faith in yourself especially at his height, but he needs to learn to be smarter out there. Every hit his efficiency takes, his market value goes down. People are looking to that more than raw numbers these days. He seems to want to get his 20 no matter the cost.

During LA's 5 game win streak, Isaiah had a good +/- rating, but there were something like 6 Lakers above him! Those players played abnormally well, so it's not on Isaiah. But he needs to learn to compliment his team mates more rather than it all being 'me, me, me'.
Last edited by dwayne2005 on Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
dwayne2005
 
Posts: 240
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:00 pm

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:24 am

Makes sense. And yeah, I also feel the need to stick up for him often. In fact, living an hour outside of Boston... we loved him here. He was everything that was a Celtic. He played with a chip on his shoulder, he gave it all night in and night out. I miss him in Celtics green.

The situation in Cleveland was so unfair (I mean, look at that video I posted). He wasn't even given a chance a really. I'd love more than anything for him to prove the biased media wrong, Cleveland wrong, or anybody else that doubts him or has doubted him in the past.

So yeah, I'm with you, go IT!
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA
User avatar
Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 6556
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:34 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby [Q] on Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:41 am

I actually thought of Deng when they had cut brewer the same day Hart broke his hand. Ennis is further down the depth chart now as the third pg on the team, fourth with Ingram as starting pg so there's still no reason why he should be on the floor other than him giving Walton sexual favors behind closed doors. Anybody is preferable over him at this point, even Deng. Wear is a good bandaid for Hart's injury as he is a good shooter and knows the system.
Image
User avatar
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member
 
Posts: 12765
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2002 8:20 am
Location: Westside, the best side

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby dwayne2005 on Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:49 am

I was analyzing Russell Westbrook towards the start of the season. I actually see parallels between him and Thomas. He was having many nights like this, without following up with 60% or 70% nights. Of course, Westbrook is far more valuable in other respects and he could have nights like that. But now Westbrook is getting those good nights, and it took him a long time to find his game offensively. Is Isaiah the same? When are we going to see him have that kind of a stellar offensive night where he gets 60% or 70% from the field on 20 or more shots? I'm losing faith, but there is precedent.
dwayne2005
 
Posts: 240
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:00 pm

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:55 am

dwayne2005 wrote:I was analyzing Russell Westbrook towards the start of the season. I actually see parallels between him and Thomas. He was having many nights like this, without following up with 60% or 70% nights. Of course, Westbrook is far more valuable in other respects and he could have nights like that. But now Westbrook is getting those good nights, and it took him a long time to find his game offensively. Is Isaiah the same? When are we going to see him have that kind of a stellar offensive night where he gets 60% or 70% from the field on 20 or more shots? I'm losing faith, but there is precedent.


My problem with Westbrook is that he falls in love with the outside shot. He shot the Thunder out of the 4th quarter of a close playoff game against the Rockets last season because instead of attacking, he continued to take quick deep mid range or 3pt shots. I understand that shooters shoot, but Westbrook isn't particularly a gifted shooter. He's done the same thing this season, while he is a beast on the boards and a great distributor, he falls in love with that outside shot and it creates abysmal FG% games, and close losses.

I'd like to see him attack more.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA
User avatar
Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 6556
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:34 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby dwayne2005 on Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:34 am

This appears to be the kind of bull I talk about in the press, and has reaffirmed me as an Isaiah Thomas supporter. There is a video out there of Colin Cowherd calling Isaiah Thomas an ordinary player who simply flourished under Brad Stevens system (getting sick and tired of that claim) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh1pc06ABOk). He says that in the last 5 minutes of the game, Isaiah Thomas saw Damien Lillard scoring abundantly and said to himself "I'm going to get mine" as well. Then he single handedly devastated their lead by hurling up shots to try and replicate the game Damian Lillard was having.

Looking over the gamelog (I didn't see the game), Isaiah only shot 3 shots after the 5:26 mark, including the very last shot which was going for a tie and was blocked (it happens; the shot is anticipated). So his argument centres around 2 attempts in 5 minutes of play? Maybe this brinkmanship started at another point in the game, but it wasn't in the final 5 minutes as this idiot suggested.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/bo ... 50LAL.html

Isaiah is still 3rd in true shooting percentage on the Lakers despite that game based on season averages. He did cost them this game at other points in the game, but I don't like the way they bend the truth by emphasizing this brinkmanship occurred in the crunch with the game on the line and then furthermore extrapolate one game to the player as a whole. I don't like everyone in their beat on Isaiah Thomas phase, especially in the press, when he is based on present stats the third most efficient Laker.
Last edited by dwayne2005 on Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
dwayne2005
 
Posts: 240
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:00 pm

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:42 am

dwayne2005 wrote:This appears to be the kind of bull I talk about in the press, and has reaffirmed me as an Isaiah Thomas supporter. There is a video out there of Colin Cowherd calling Isaiah Thomas an ordinary player who simply flourished under Brad Stevens system (getting sick and tired of that claim). He says that in the last 5 minutes of the game, Isaiah Thomas saw Damien Lillard scoring abundantly and said to himself "I'm going to get mine" as well. Then he single handedly devastated their lead by hurling up shots to try and replicate the game Damian Lillard was having.

Looking over the gamelog (I didn't see the game), Isaiah only shot 3 shots after the 5:26 mark, including the very last shot which was going for a tie and was blocked (it happens; the shot is anticipated). So his argument centres around 2 attempts in 5 minutes of play? Maybe this brinkmanship started at another point in the game, but it wasn't in the final 5 minutes as this idiot suggested.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/bo ... 50LAL.html

Isaiah is still 3rd in true shooting percentage on the Lakers despite that game based on season averages.


Colin Cowherd, Max Kellerman, Stephen A Smith, Skip Bayless, etc. All of those guys are part of the problem, and all of them are there to sell the drama and make outrageous claims. They are all over the TV to control how the majority of the population feels about a certain team/player/organization, sometimes even just a city in general. I put no stock into what they say. Unfortunately, a lot of people do, and a lot of people's opinions are molded or curved by listening to these talking heads, when in reality these guys are not experts at all.

The bad rap on Thomas isn't fair, it's unfounded. Thomas last game did what Thomas does, he's a scorer. He missed quite a few more than he made and took some questionable shots, but not one person complains when he is making half of them while on the attack.

Thomas was a good player before he went to Boston, Stevens just gave him the minutes and the keys. If he fully recovers from his injury and gets the opportunity, Thomas is a well above average NBA player. His defense will always be his shortcoming (pun intended) because of his size. But if he's healthy he will always be a threat on offense, someone who can get you points in a hurry.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA
User avatar
Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 6556
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:34 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:48 am

Throw Nick Wright into that list of names, too.
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Image
Contact: Email | Twitter
Release Threads: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Threads: NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube


Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Image
Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
User avatar
Andrew
45? That's a bad luck number!
Administrator
 
Posts: 103981
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2002 8:51 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby dwayne2005 on Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:01 am

Dee4Three wrote:
dwayne2005 wrote:This appears to be the kind of bull I talk about in the press, and has reaffirmed me as an Isaiah Thomas supporter. There is a video out there of Colin Cowherd calling Isaiah Thomas an ordinary player who simply flourished under Brad Stevens system (getting sick and tired of that claim). He says that in the last 5 minutes of the game, Isaiah Thomas saw Damien Lillard scoring abundantly and said to himself "I'm going to get mine" as well. Then he single handedly devastated their lead by hurling up shots to try and replicate the game Damian Lillard was having.

Looking over the gamelog (I didn't see the game), Isaiah only shot 3 shots after the 5:26 mark, including the very last shot which was going for a tie and was blocked (it happens; the shot is anticipated). So his argument centres around 2 attempts in 5 minutes of play? Maybe this brinkmanship started at another point in the game, but it wasn't in the final 5 minutes as this idiot suggested.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/bo ... 50LAL.html

Isaiah is still 3rd in true shooting percentage on the Lakers despite that game based on season averages.


Colin Cowherd, Max Kellerman, Stephen A Smith, Skip Bayless, etc. All of those guys are part of the problem, and all of them are there to sell the drama and make outrageous claims. They are all over the TV to control how the majority of the population feels about a certain team/player/organization, sometimes even just a city in general. I put no stock into what they say. Unfortunately, a lot of people do, and a lot of people's opinions are molded or curved by listening to these talking heads, when in reality these guys are not experts at all.

The bad rap on Thomas isn't fair, it's unfounded. Thomas last game did what Thomas does, he's a scorer. He missed quite a few more than he made and took some questionable shots, but not one person complains when he is making half of them while on the attack.

Thomas was a good player before he went to Boston, Stevens just gave him the minutes and the keys. If he fully recovers from his injury and gets the opportunity, Thomas is a well above average NBA player. His defense will always be his shortcoming (pun intended) because of his size. But if he's healthy he will always be a threat on offense, someone who can get you points in a hurry.


Funny thing is, he can't pretend he didn't know (drank too much beer) when he made up this fiction about what transpired in the game. Watching the video, they show their standard highlights. 3 missed shots from Isaiah Thomas. Watching it, hearing how he devastated them in those final 5 minutes because of his imature brinkmanship, you'd think: they only showed 3 of his shots during that stretch because they were the worst or something. But they knew when compiling that presentation, it only involved 3 shots, one which Isaiah had no choice but to take. And of the remaining 2? How about that one when he blows by his defender, gets into the key and is wide open? He missed it, but no matter what game you are having if you get a shot like that and you don't take it you are an idiot. One of the two shots was a good look, a great look. The other wasn't the worst shot, but could have been smarter. So I can even halve the amount of shots Isaiah took in his last 5 minutes of lead devastating brinkmanship to a grand total of 1 FGA.

I made my own assumption looking at his plus/minus, too. Most of that -17 was in those final 5 minutes when Isaiah wasn't shooting the ball and had 1 turnover (7 seconds from the end of the game). If they were up 7 at the start of the fourth and lost by 6, that is -13 right there. It may also be evidence of the inexact nature of plus/minus, at least used on individual games. It may have greater reliability as an average stat over lots of games. It appears the other team may have just caught on fire, to no fault of anyone, and Isaiah just happened to be on the court at the wrong time. That's the issue with that stat. It may represent bad defense, bad offense or the fact that another team is just playing good basketball during a stretch. Over time, these factors even out a bit and it was foolish to assume like I did. That said, one things for certain is that his shooting did not help the lead when they had it.
dwayne2005
 
Posts: 240
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:00 pm

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby [Q] on Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:49 am

All of those loudmouths are the same. They were fake news before fake news was even a term. They have built their careers by saying the dumbest things on TV without no real merit
Image
User avatar
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member
 
Posts: 12765
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2002 8:20 am
Location: Westside, the best side

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby Jackal on Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:37 am

Cringe. Some Jacob dude put up a billboard named Labron. As if the #stay shit wasn't bad enough. Cringe so hard.
Image
User avatar
Jackal
 
Posts: 14804
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2003 2:59 am

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby [Q] on Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:36 pm

Lol he's a fairly well known lawyer. He must not have much else to do with his money
Image
User avatar
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member
 
Posts: 12765
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2002 8:20 am
Location: Westside, the best side

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests