Chicago Bulls Thread

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: Chicago Bulls Thread

Postby Andrew on Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:27 am

Given their respective form as of late, I would've preferred Watson. I'm trying to remain optimistic about Hinrich and if he can stay healthy and regain the form he had a few years ago, it'll be solid move. Right now though, I'd give the nod to Watson.

I like the idea of bringing Mayo. If these other moves end up paving the way for that, that's not too shabby.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby RedPhazon8 on Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:29 pm

The main issue is Watson for the past two seasons didn't carry his regular season performance into the playoffs. He doesn't seem to be a very good starting PG either be honest as he seemed to force more often then not when he was covering for Rose. In the end though when looking at a healthy Bulls team, I'd rather have Watson...
RedPhazon8

Postby _Steve_ on Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:40 pm

No Mayo for the Bulls... who's next? I can't believe what they are doing to their roster (aside from the Hinrich trade ;) )...
“Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.” - Mark Twain
_Steve_

Postby RedPhazon8 on Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:27 pm

Well to be honest if I was in charge of the decisions, I wouldn't really know what to do either... I guess we can sit around and talk about what we all would of done, but at this point I don't really think we did anything good to help out for the future.
RedPhazon8

Postby Andrew on Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:49 pm

It's a tough spot as they obviously want to get better and need to address deficiencies in the roster (like the lack of a reliable second option) but it's all kind of moot until Derrick Rose returns and is at full strength. Given that this season is likely going to see a drop-off, I guess it's not a terrible idea to position themselves to make some more significant moves next year, when Rose is back. Presumably that's what they're doing here, in addition to avoiding the luxury tax. I'd like to think it's not all about the luxury tax, at any rate.

It'd be nice to see them doing something more significant this offseason, but that's easier said than done without cap room and the players they'd likely be trading having fairly low stock at the moment (and cumbersome contracts). A lot of the players who probably could've been had for a bargain price are quickly being snatched up by other teams, so I'm starting to think that getting Hinrich is about the biggest move they're going to make this offseason. Unless there's a sucker willing to take Boozer or someone's willing to make a generous deal for Deng, I'm thinking there isn't a lot of options.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby air gordon on Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:39 am

Management did it to themselves. If they don't want to pay the Luxury tax then maybe it's time for bulls fans to find another team to follow.

Next best avail is Courtney Lee. Only the celts, suns, and pacers to compete with now. Beh
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby George7 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:41 am

Damn, mayo is gone. Now we must sign Lee, as he's the best choice available. If we can't convince him as well,then I don't know if we can find a better player than Rip, who is in the roster now....
George7

Postby RedPhazon8 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:56 am

Anyone think we should try and get Randy Foye? I'm guessing he could be a good complement to Rip, if he can consistently hit shots...
RedPhazon8

Postby air gordon on Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:35 am

if the Bulls can't get Lee (unlikely) or Rush (unlikely too), the rest of the FA class is junk/veteran minimum salary/non difference maker. May as make bring back Nocioni. I'll take Childress too.

Andrew- how can they position themselves better to make signifcant moves next year? how will they make signifcant moves next year? and how is adding a 2nd scorer while Rose is out a moot point? is it a poor decision to sign a proven scorer like Mayo on the cheap and on a multi year contract?
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:02 am

air gordon wrote:Andrew- how can they position themselves better to make signifcant moves next year? how will they make signifcant moves next year?

I'd like to think they've got a long term plan in mind by trimming the fat, something beyond just avoiding the luxury tax. Of course, I realise that may be wishful thinking.

As to how it would help, in avoiding the luxury tax they wouldn't be limited to the Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception (giving them $5 million rather than $3 million), they'd probably be able to keep Gibson and would perhaps be more willing/likely to take on a large contract in a blockbuster trade.

air gordon wrote:and how is adding a 2nd scorer while Rose is out a moot point? is it a poor decision to sign a proven scorer like Mayo on the cheap and on a multi year contract?

What I meant is that whatever moves they make, the team is not going to do anything significant until Rose is back and at full strength. I'm not suggesting they shouldn't make those moves, just that the issue of Rose's injury will continue to loom large until he's back and hopefully as good as was before it happened.

It's definitely not a poor decision, quite the opposite. As I said before I liked the idea, as such I'm disappointed that he ended up going to the Mavs instead.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby benji on Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:16 am

Andrew wrote:As to how it would help, in avoiding the luxury tax they wouldn't be limited to the Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception (giving them $5 million rather than $3 million), they'd probably be able to keep Gibson and would perhaps be more willing/likely to take on a large contract in a blockbuster trade.

If they're avoiding the luxury tax when they have a 60 win team and the tax is going to do the least damage why would they pay the beefed up tax down the road?
benji

Postby Andrew on Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:22 am

I'm assuming they'd be looking to remain under the luxury cap while doing that, hence the reason they're shedding contracts now.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby benji on Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:30 am

Sorry about that I stupidly assumed they wanted to contend again.
benji

Postby Andrew on Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:33 am

One would assume so but it seems they're taking a small market approach in a big market.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby George7 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:32 pm

In other news, Sam Smith seemed impressed by the performance of Jimmy Butler , who had 24 points and a mature presence on and off the court,on the opening game in the summer league ,against Boston. He couldn't tell the same for Teague though, who shot 4 from 17 on a bad night.

http://blogs.bulls.com/2012/07/the-butl ... the-bulls/
George7

Postby Andrew on Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:34 pm

Sounds promising. With Brewer gone he should be getting a good opportunity to play a lot of minutes this year, so that's encouraging to hear even if it is just the summer league.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby air gordon on Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:59 am

Andrew wrote:One would assume so but it seems they're taking a small market approach in a big market.

sounds like they are taking a conservative approach with Rose's recovery/using that as a reason to not pay the luxury tax

Bulls a finalist in the Darko sweepstakes. now i've seen it all
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:46 pm

I guess he'd be at least as good as Asik backing up Noah, probably a bit better and at a cheaper price. I'm not a huge fan by any means, but he keeps the attitude in check and gives it his all off the bench, he could be serviceable filling in for a year or two.

Of course, seeing how this offseason has already gone, they'll probably miss out on him too and have to look elsewhere in the ever slimming pickings.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby air gordon on Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:48 pm

Darko better then Asik. As the great John McEnroe said... You cannot be serious.
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:03 pm

Perhaps I'm underestimating Asik but statistically speaking, there's not a whole lot of difference. If they get him, I believe it's only for a season, so no major damage if nothing else.

Meanwhile, they've picked up Vladimir Radmanovic. Can't get too excited about that but he does still shoot threes at a fairly decent clip, which is about all he does these days. I guess he's Korver's replacement for 10-15 minutes a game.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby George7 on Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:27 am

Personally,I think that Darko is for sure a better offensive player than Asik and a worse defender, but not that worse. I like him. I don't say he's the better player overall, but he could be the better value for money option.
And a short term pick on Radmanovic is not a bad choice. He can be a good replacement of Korver's three point shooting.
George7

Postby RedPhazon8 on Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:30 am

If they can get Darko for less money, I'd say let Asik head to Houston.
RedPhazon8

Postby The X on Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:12 am

George7 wrote:And a short term pick on Radmanovic is not a bad choice. He can be a good replacement of Korver's three point shooting.

I think you just overrated Rado & underrated Korver :wink:
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby George7 on Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:30 pm

The X wrote:
George7 wrote:And a short term pick on Radmanovic is not a bad choice. He can be a good replacement of Korver's three point shooting.

I think you just overrated Rado & underrated Korver :wink:

Hell no! I really think Korver is by far the purest shooter of the two, and I would really like him to stay, as he was one of my favourites on the roster. I just say that Radmanovic could be a good replacement, concerning the money he's going to take-which I assume are much less than those Korver was going to take this season- and the fact that it is only a short term solution, on a season Bulls don't seem to aim that high (as they are quite lethargic in their moves so far). I'm not saying he's going to bring what Kyle had brought in Bulls' game those two seasons. But he's not that bad a choice, though we can't get much excited about it for sure.

On the summer league news, Butler was again really good and kept his mature performances, which are really good news. Teague was better , but still he was bad on defence and still a bit shaky on the offence. Thomas , who is said to be a lighter version of Taj Gibson, is a young player raising some eyebrows from the Bulls' summer league roster and could get a place on the end of the Bulls' bench this season as the third option behind Boozer and Gibson.
George7

Postby Andrew on Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:34 pm

Hopefully, he'll at least be a passable replacement. I don't think the bar should be set very high but it does mean they still have a spot up shooter coming in off the bench so good enough I guess given the limited choices and their eagerness to trim the payroll.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball