Chicago Bulls Thread

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: Chicago Bulls Thread

Postby graybakflip on Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:59 am

George7 wrote:I don't like the signing of Nazr Mohammed at all. I would prefer Darko 10 times more...

for me, i'd rather have nazr than darko..he might be younger, but nazr is a winner(1 of few active players that has multiple ncaa/nba titles) and a better defender/rebounder/overall than darko IMO..
You laugh at me 'cos I'm different. I laugh at you 'cos youre all the same
graybakflip

Postby air gordon on Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:37 am

The best news of the offseason may end up being Britain being eliminated early from the Olympics
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:33 pm

At the risk of underestimating their team, I'm guessing that's something we can indeed bank on.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby RedPhazon8 on Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:44 pm

I took this from the poll on NBA.com:

How far will the new-look Bulls go next season?

First Round
14604 - 28%

Second Round
18756 - 36%

Conf. Finals
11422 - 22%

Lottery-bound
7962 - 15%
RedPhazon8

Postby Andrew on Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:56 pm

Depending on what shape Rose is in when he returns, they might be able to make a late push and have enough talent to get into the second round, but this isn't a year when we should be expecting great things. I think they'll still at least make the Playoffs as a low seed though, so I disagree with the 15% picking lottery.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby air gordon on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:48 am

does anyone dare to guess what management's plan is? Sign a big time FA in the next offseason? trade for that coveted #2 scoring option? Cross their fingers that Love or Aldridge force their way out 2 years from now?? Or perhaps they are under the illusion that they can still compete for a championship next year?! It's unclear what they are doing. Are they truly willing to pay the luxury tax like the rest of the big boys? I can't see another alternative to be a title contender with LaL, Mia, etc if they do not spend the mula. As long as Rose and Thibbs are on the team i can't see the team tanking 2 years in row/ having the opportunity to draft a Russell Westbrook, James Harden type.

i still do not fully understand this new CBA but I do not beleive they would not have enough cap space to sign a great FA outright next offseason.. even if they do not extend Gibson and/or amnesty Boozer.

Also extending Gibson is a dilemna. Can't be sure if he is a true starting PF in this league or better being that energy off guy that goes all out 20-25mpgs. What i am sure is the Bulls can't let Gibson walk like they did Asik. If they can't agree on something in the $7-8mil range per year, they'll have to trade him. The bulls can't tie up a shitload of money to a frontcourt that can't score on their own (Noah-Gibson).

I think the Bulls need to do a restart on their core. trade Deng and/or Noah. Trade one of them for an expiring and draft pick. Trust their scouts they can find someone in the draft that is equally effective or close to a Deng. Bulls brass has been decent in finding talent in the draft.

I was all for the Deng for Evans/pick or Deng for jefferson/pick. The Bulls had it good while Rose, Asik, Gibson were all on their rookie contracts. Shit contracts like Deng's and Boozers were bearable because those other 3 were playing well over their salary. But now the shit has hit the fan.

Or does Gibson + Charlotte pick + Deng get you a bonafide #2?? or at the least get you a disgruntled #2 ?
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby benji on Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:21 pm

As I mentioned they have to deal Deng or Noah, likely both, for nothing along with amnestying Boozer in order to make the cap space to sign a Ron Mercer or Ben Wallace next offseason.

The problem is, there aren't those expirings/exceptions or teams willing to take on players like that anymore. A lot of them got used this offseason.

They seem to be doing what I said and that was take one last shot this year, paying the CHEAPER tax if they have to (but trying to get under it), and hoping Rose is healthy enough to make a run in the playoffs. After this year they can start stripping away everything but Noah-Rose-Butler-Mirotic for 2014.
benji

Postby Andrew on Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:22 pm

air gordon wrote:Also extending Gibson is a dilemna. Can't be sure if he is a true starting PF in this league or better being that energy off guy that goes all out 20-25mpgs. What i am sure is the Bulls can't let Gibson walk like they did Asik. If they can't agree on something in the $7-8mil range per year, they'll have to trade him. The bulls can't tie up a shitload of money to a frontcourt that can't score on their own (Noah-Gibson).

Yeah, I'd extend him for a contract in that range, I wouldn't go any higher than that. If that's their plan, hopefully they can come to an agreement before a team signs him to an offer sheet that messes with them via the "poison pill" year, as the Rockets did with Asik and Lin. If they're not sure about keeping him then trading him - perhaps as part of a package with Deng for that #2 scorer - definitely seems like the way to go. I too wouldn't like to see him walk for nothing.

air gordon wrote:I think the Bulls need to do a restart on their core. trade Deng and/or Noah. Trade one of them for an expiring and draft pick. Trust their scouts they can find someone in the draft that is equally effective or close to a Deng. Bulls brass has been decent in finding talent in the draft.

I'm guessing that that's what they're working towards, shedding contracts like Korver and Brewer and doing things on the cheap this year, while probably continuing to explore trade options for Deng. I think Deng has to be the one to go; I don't think they should trade Noah unless they're getting a good centre to replace him and that'll be harder to come by. Ben's scenario seems likely as to how they're going to re-tool around a few players from the current core, plus Mirotic and maybe Gibson if he's not part of a Deng trade.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby air gordon on Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:28 am

benji wrote:As I mentioned they have to deal Deng or Noah, likely both, for nothing along with amnestying Boozer in order to make the cap space to sign a Ron Mercer or Ben Wallace next offseason.
The problem is, there aren't those expirings/exceptions or teams willing to take on players like that anymore. A lot of them got used this offseason.

They seem to be doing what I said and that was take one last shot this year, paying the CHEAPER tax if they have to (but trying to get under it), and hoping Rose is healthy enough to make a run in the playoffs. After this year they can start stripping away everything but Noah-Rose-Butler-Mirotic for 2014.

Hinrich, Bellini, rad vlad, nazr > Watson, brewer, korver, Asik?
I really hope the bulls brass don't think they re going for it but rather good enough to make the playoffs/earn extra revenue.

But can you email reinsdorf and co. to pick a lane already. Either do a complete rebuild or spend some $.
Jump.
air gordon

Postby benji on Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:51 am

Well, I was arguing for them keeping the lot (sans Asik) and going again. You wanted to dump the lot no? I forget The management seems to think they can get cheaper pieces (to lower the tax) that might be good enough off the bench. Which I think you also wanted?

This year had to be a punt anyway and you can't really gut the team until 2014 anyway.

If there's a problem it's not recognizing that the last good luxury tax year is this one.

Unless they know something about Rose we don't.

Which makes no sense to sign the players they did.

Unless they're abject morons.

There's really so many possibilities at this point.
benji

Postby air gordon on Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:45 am

we did go over this before but i was in favor of "trying" if the Turkish delight returned. i would have been fine with Rad Vlad/Belinelli replacing Korver. Maybe Nazr in his Nyk days would do as a replacement. Asik and Gibson closed a lot of games for the bulls last year.

ironically Watson and Brewer signed with their respective teams for cheaper then what Belinelli and Hinrich did

and yes- I am for the dump. Noah and Deng will be nearing 30 when Rose has had the sufficient time to recover from the injury.

as i was suggesting earlier- looks like the bulls are just treading/counting the profits
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:46 am

Mohammed signing is now official.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby air gordon on Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:49 am

And now Nate Robinson will be joining the team. I like this signing. The bulls need scoring. I'm sure he will quickly become a fan favorite
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:52 am

Guess the point guard rotation is set until Rose comes back. Decent addition, I'm sure he'll have his moments.

spinchien wrote:The Bulls didn't disclose terms of the contract

As is the norm.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby chicagoRAW on Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:20 pm

Nate Robinson is terrible. Yay, Nazr Mohammed, Vlad Rad, Kirk, Marco, and now Nate. SOO much to look forward to this season :roll: .
chicagoRAW

Postby Andrew on Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:35 pm

We knew the season was going to be a write-off with Rose expected to be out until next year. It would seem they're just looking to stay afloat with him out and position themselves to re-tool around him when he gets back. That's not an unreasonable approach in the long term, hopefully they've got a plan and can make it work.

Of course, it doesn't make the present any prettier to behold.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby George7 on Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:58 pm

I like Nate,I really do. Ok,he's not the best choice,but he's going to be a really good option coming off the bench. Still, we can't expect anything more than a 1st round elimination in the playoffs I think. Unless D-Rose returns on a great shape,just in time for the playoffs.

some news on T-Mac as well!

@MikeAScotto
Tracy "T-Mac" McGrady is working on a deal with the Chicago Bulls (via @dan_bernstein). Speculation is a one-year minimum deal. #freeagency
George7

Postby rise on Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:23 am

All but guaranteeing a first round exit now.
rise
But here, at the top of the world, where I raise my hands and I clench my fists...
Contributor

Postby chicagoRAW on Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:24 am

Why the hell would they get T-Mac? Every move has been stupid this off season. I know they aren't going anywhere and these are just band aids (really bad band aids). I find it amusing that people think Nate Robinson is good. He's undersized, can't play point or defense...yea that's really going to fit in well with Thibs. And T-Mac? Guy can barely move, but hey him and Rip can share some good stories in the trainers room the whole season.

I would rather have them pick up a guy like Terrence Williams instead of loading up the team with washed up bums. Hopefully bulls fans won't have to see the majority of these guys play at all (Vlad, Nate, Tmac - if they sign him, i hope not). Unfortunately we'll have to see Nazr Mohammed and Kirk.

Only thing to look forward to is Jimmy Butler who is a NBA back up small forward, and Marquis Teague whose upside is a solid back up point guard, but judging from Summer League I doubt Thibs is going to give him any run.

I'm a die hard realistic Bulls fan, and besides Rose there's nothing interesting about the team. 2014 can't come soon enough.
chicagoRAW

Postby _Steve_ on Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:31 am

Sad but true.
“Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.” - Mark Twain
_Steve_

Postby Andrew on Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:48 am

T-Mac hasn't been too bad for the Pistons and Hawks the past couple of years, he's kept fairly healthy and could be solid for 15-20 minutes off the bench. That said, one can't get too excited about a signing that's possibly going to happen twelve years too late. It's going to be a tough season, unfortunately.

chicagoRAW wrote:I'm a die hard realistic Bulls fan, and besides Rose there's nothing interesting about the team.

What about Noah?
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby air gordon on Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:24 pm

indeed it is a crappy offseason.

there are 2 signings that don't reak of nasty: Bellinelli and Robinson

Bellineli is a 39% career 3pt shooter, can dribble some, and is only 26

if you look at the Robinson signing as the Lucas replacement, it is a good move. across the board his numbers best JLiii. And he is the only healthy player on the roster who can create a shot for himself. I still think Robinson is annoying since he's such an attention whore.

chicagoRAW wrote:I would rather have them pick up a guy like Terrence Williams instead of loading up the team with washed up bums. Hopefully bulls fans won't have to see the majority of these guys play at all (Vlad, Nate, Tmac - if they sign him, i hope not).

I agree with this. why bother filling out the 13th or 14th spot with another has been? at this point it why not take a flier on a young guy like Williams (what is his status anyway?) or even Andrew's boy- Darko (lol).

The team still needs a 3rd center.
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:50 am

I still wouldn't mind them taking a chance on Oden as the third centre. A lot of question marks, obviously, but it wouldn't be an expensive or risky move to have him in that role.

I believe Williams is a restricted free agent of the Kings at present.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby _Steve_ on Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:15 pm

Andrew wrote:I still wouldn't mind them taking a chance on Oden as the third centre. A lot of question marks, obviously, but it wouldn't be an expensive or risky move to have him in that role.

I believe Williams is a restricted free agent of the Kings at present.

If rotoworld is right, Terrence Williams in a UFA.
“Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.” - Mark Twain
_Steve_

Postby Andrew on Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:25 am

In that case, seems I was looking at outdated info before.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball