Chicago Bulls Thread

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: Chicago Bulls Thread

Postby Andrew on Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:15 pm

What would they get in return, though?
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby NovU on Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:39 pm

Tough question. Value varies on time and situations too much I guess. A lot of times, they hold no value as no teams show interest.

There are ways to play expiring contract:

- let it expire
- trade and take on bad contract with future potential (pick or young player with upside)
- trade for unhappy star/young guy

Also depends on how well/shit Wade plays. His value means something to the market as well (could offer to be more than expiring, nice for competing team that looks to upgrade using some of their shit assets)

Perhaps the Lakers wanna be a major player in 2018 offseason going after 2 max boys? Take on Deng + filler/pick(s) would be nice. Unless the Bulls look forward to be a major player themselves in next offseason but I am not sure if the team will attract much attention from stars. Might as well pay for the future if there's interest.

EDIT: Snell getting ludicrous contract makes me feel Wade could draw some attention if he shows some capability as a player.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby air gordon on Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:34 pm

If Wade could fine tune his game and start hitting 3's and play some defense (like what Vince carter did), garpax''s phone will be ringing

If its more of the same as last year, not even a 2nd round pick will be on the table. Maybe its the bulls adding a pick haha

Does la have 1st round picks to trade in this decade? Otherwise La can keep deng's awful contract. Veteran mentoring!
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Jackal on Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:48 pm

air gordon wrote:Does la have 1st round picks to trade in this decade? Otherwise La can keep deng's awful contract. Veteran mentoring!

2018 us already with Boston, not allowed to trade away 2019 with the back to back pick trade protection.
Jackal

Postby NovU on Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:52 pm

Magic better look into the endless possibility it could result in.

Lopez/LeBron/George/Wade/Lonzo

Now try telling me that's not the team you would watch regardless the age and superteam-ness. I am already a true Lakers fan.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Jackal on Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:24 am

What?

KAT - Lebron - George - Thompson - Ball

Basically any super star FA Is coming to LA, we've already discussed this.
Jackal

Postby Moz on Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:38 am

air gordon wrote:If Hoiberg falters I believe its forman who follows him out the door

And also, as this article suggests, if Cameron Payne doesn't pan out Jim Paxson might be the new GM. If it went that way, I really hope that John will still be the one responsible for drafting players because his brother picked up a bunch of busts outside of Lebron James when he's at the helm in Cleveland. Props to him for getting Boozer in the 2nd round though...
Nationwide is on your side...
Moz
What a load of bollocks...

Postby Andrew on Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:17 am

Realistically, I think the only good way for Wade to move on would be through a buyout, or letting him walk at the end of the season. It's hard to imagine a likely scenario where they get a good return when trading him.

I'd assume that he'd prefer to go to a Playoff-bound team, who might be interested in expanding their depth with a proven veteran who can still at least give them good minutes here and there. However, such a team is not going to give up a quality player from their core rotation to do that, and outside of Boston, they're not going to have lottery picks to offer either, so the Bulls aren't going to get anything that'll help in the rebuilding process. Indeed, they're more likely to get saddled with a couple of bad contracts in return, which will mean they've traded one problem for another that can't be resolved as easily.

Fellow lottery-bound, rebuilding teams probably aren't going to be all that interested in Wade, but even if they are, the returns are going to be pretty much the same. They're not going to give up a lottery pick for him; at least not without some stringent protection in place that basically guarantees that the Bulls won't get it. Any players the Bulls get in return are not going to be long-term solutions, and will probably have worse contracts that still have a couple of years left on them.

And of course, in both situations, GarPax are likely to throw in picks to get the deal done, making a lousy and unnecessary trade even worse. Wade's not a long-term solution but he's also in the last year of his contract, so let him walk at the end of the season, or buy him out beforehand. There have been times when I've grumbled that GarPax let players get away for nothing, but this is a situation where a trade is very unlikely to put them in a better position, but is very likely to put them in a worse one. In this case, letting a player go for nothing and cutting their losses is a better way to come out ahead, since they won't be giving up anything valuable to the rebuilding process, namely future cap space and Draft picks.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby air gordon on Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:11 pm

Joe cowley brings a nice balance to the bulls coverage. Rumor was butler was a big source for a lot his material

Bulls brought back justin holiday. Iirc a few didn't want him to go in the New York trade.
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:40 pm

In all seriousness, he's an OK signing. Shores up the rotation at point guard in the wake of the recent cuts, and $9 million over two years is far from unreasonable.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Valor on Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:29 pm

Key FA Resigning: $32m Cristiano Felício, (soon to be and prob for ridiculously large amounts of money) Nikola Mirotic.
Key FA Acquisition: $9m Justin Holiday

We are going places. :roll:
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Andrew on Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:43 pm

I don't mind the Holiday signing, as I said it's OK. I definitely agree that they're setting themselves (and therefore, us) up for disappointment by throwing a lot of money at Felicio and (presumably) Mirotic, though. That's not exactly in line with rebuilding.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Valor on Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:29 pm

Andrew wrote:I don't mind the Holiday signing, as I said it's OK. I definitely agree that they're setting themselves (and therefore, us) up for disappointment by throwing a lot of money at Felicio and (presumably) Mirotic, though. That's not exactly in line with rebuilding.

Oh yeah, while it's nothing exciting it's not a whole lot of money and 2 years is not a long commitment anyways. Might as well see what the kid can do....but isn't he a SG though? If they aren't buying out Wade it'll be hard to find minutes for all these kids at SG in LaVine (when he comes back), Valentine, and now Holiday.
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Andrew on Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:41 pm

Quite right, he is a shooting guard. For some reason, I thought he was a point guard like Jrue. That does create a bit of a logjam on the wing.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby air gordon on Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:16 pm

Even if Wade isn't bought out, Its a safe assumption he's going to miss some games. They'll need someone to fill in

Felecio' contract is right in line for a back up center salary. I'm fine with it. He may even be the starting center if the bulls dump rolo
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Valor on Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:55 am

Cristiano Felício, starting center for the Chicago Bulls.

Yep, we are definitely a pile of shit right now :facepalm2:
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby air gordon on Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:43 pm

And piles of shits get top 3 picks

Ain't no one coming here via free agency. Have to build through the draft. Let that pile of shit steam
Jump.
air gordon

Postby air gordon on Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:14 am

Most of the notables are off the board and even vets are signing for cheap contracts. should the bulls resign Niko?
Jump.
air gordon

Postby NovU on Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:04 am

I hope not, unless Garpax could turn his contract into something. I am hoping to see more Portis and especially Markkanen. Perhaps one of them could turn out to be next Myles Turner?
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby air gordon on Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:04 am

It looks like there isn't much of a market for him so the bulls have all the leverage. If its a short term contract and around 10mil, I can see him being resigned. If he plays well, flip him to a contender

Personally I'd rather see him go and free bobby portis

Myles turner? That would be nice
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:42 am

I suppose a short, relatively inexpensive contract wouldn't be too bad if they ultimately decided to do that. They have to field a full roster, he's familiar with the system, and he's not completely untalented. He hasn't lived up to expectations though, so I'd prefer Portis and Markkanen to get those minutes. They're rebuilding, so they shouldn't commit to anyone that isn't a strong candidate to be in their long-term plans. I'm not sure that Niko is, and I'm definitely not convinced that he should be. They traded away Butler to draft Markkanen, so let's see what he can do; don't have him warming the bench all season. A decision is going to have to be made on Portis soon, so let's see what he can do with consistent minutes as well.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Valor on Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:30 am

air gordon wrote:It looks like there isn't much of a market for him so the bulls have all the leverage.

Which is why it wouldn't surprise me if they offer him the max. Looking at recent history, GarPax loves to blow any leverage they possess.
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Andrew on Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:33 am

Yeah, I was thinking that as well. It wouldn't be out of character for them to bid against themselves unnecessarily, and for a player whose status as a cornerstone is highly questionable to say the least.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby air gordon on Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:02 pm

that would be something. they unsuccessfully traded him at the deadline and then now a max contract? lol c'mon.

i think the salary floor is $84mil. they're at around $72 i think. just a guess- if he does resign its going to be enough just to make the salary floor. if he's doesn't get resigned, they're going to have make another move. rather offer the money to jonathan simmons tbh

the bulls have the team option and qualifying offer so technically that's 3 years they have him under contract.
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:19 pm

I'd take Simmons over Mirotic if the opportunity is there.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball