Washington Wizards

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Who provides the most "game" for the Wizards (not skill)?

Stack
10
45%
MJ
6
27%
Larry
5
23%
Juan, Jared, Haywood, Lue and Kwame
1
5%
The older guys (eg. Byron, Oakley, etc.)
0
No votes
 
Total votes : 22

Washington Wizards

Postby Fresh8 on Mon Dec 16, 2002 5:27 pm

Well... I'm feelin bored so I've decided to start topics on different teams.

Firstly... Washington.

My predictions: Record= 45-37 (Make Eastern Conference Finals but get knocked out by Indiana)

Top scorer= Stack with 25 ppg
Top Rebounder= Kwame with 9-10 rpg (if he starts more and plays more minutes)
Playmaker= Stack with, hopefully, 6-7 apg.

My summary:
After a few games the Wizards look as if they are struggling but if they get back to winning, they will look better. What I reackon, is that MJ shouldn't have opted to start and Coach Collins should be havin Kwame play more than 20 mpg.

If Washington wants to win more they need thier younger players to step up thier gameplay. Also, I think Washington should use Larry and Stack more effectively, cause Larry ain't a PG and Stack can handle the 3 spot.

So my lineup for them would be:
5- Kwame
4- Haywood
3- Stack
2- Larry
1- Lue

And my second Unit would be:
5- Etan Thomas
4- Charles Oakley/ Christian Laettner
3- Jared Jeffries
2- MJ
1- Juan Dixon (When he comes back)

Anyway, the Wizards rock and they will make it to the Eastern Finals, 2003!

Predictions of candidates for awards from Washington:
Kwame for Most Improved (If he plays better)
MJ for sixth man (If he settles on the bench)
Stack for MVP, if he improves his rebounding and playmaking skills and scores consistently... yeah he's a candidate!

Well, the Wizards had a great win today but a horrible loss against NJ a few days ago... but let's hope they keep on winning. MJ had a great defensive game! (9 rebs, 8 ast)

What do you guys think... correct me on anything!
User avatar
Fresh8
The poster formerly known as Sit
 
Posts: 14872
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2002 5:19 pm

Postby Clinton on Mon Dec 16, 2002 5:53 pm

Playmaker= Stack with, hopefully, 6-7 apg.


Don't think so. He isn't really the best choice as playmaker of the year for the Wiz. It should be Hughes considering he is point guard, but I think once Dixon gets a lot more minutes he will steal the starting job.

So my lineup for them would be:
5- Kwame
4- Haywood
3- Stack
2- Larry
1- Lue


me Brown cannot play centre in this league, yet. He needs to add a lot more muscle. He is a pf /sf till then. Haywood is a good starting centre and will be even better in a few years. He does what he has to. Rebound and block. Stack is a shooting guard and that's where he should be playing. Just because you think Hughes can play sg it's not a reason to move him. They didn't move him for MJ. Hughes has to stay at the point or backup Stack. Dixon will steal the starting pg spot next season or te season after.

Kwame for Most Improved (If he plays better)


this year. Unless he gets some serious minutes after the allstar break he will be beat out by Michael Redd, Ricky Davis, Richard Jefferson or Desmond Mason.

Stack for MVP, if he improves his rebounding and playmaking skills and scores consistently... yeah he's a candidate!


No he isn't!! There is no way in the world Jerry Stackhouse will be MVP.
[/quote]
User avatar
Clinton
 
Posts: 823
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 6:32 pm
Location: Pato son....

Postby Rens on Mon Dec 16, 2002 10:43 pm

Just because you think Hughes can play sg it's not a reason to move him.

Well.. considering he's not a very good PG and a natural SG..
User avatar
Rens
 
Posts: 1540
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2002 5:05 am
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Washington Wizards

Postby :digerati: on Tue Dec 17, 2002 7:00 am

will_K8 wrote:My predictions: Record= 45-37 (Make Eastern Conference Finals but get knocked out by Indiana)

How will they get that far, let alone win that many games?
will_K8 wrote:My summary:
After a few games the Wizards look as if they are struggling but if they get back to winning, they will look better. What I reackon, is that MJ shouldn't have opted to start and Coach Collins should be havin Kwame play more than 20 mpg.

You know why Doug isn't playing Kwame? Because he stinks up the MCI Center and other arenas with his inconsistant and poor play.
will_K8 wrote:If Washington wants to win more they need thier younger players to step up thier gameplay. Also, I think Washington should use Larry and Stack more effectively, cause Larry ain't a PG and Stack can handle the 3 spot.

But, if you play Stack at SF and Hughes at SG. Hughes' size disadvantage hurts them.
will_K8 wrote:5- Kwame
4- Haywood
3- Stack
2- Larry
1- Lue

Brown isn't a Center, Hughes is undersized and Lue shouldn't be starting. Even on this team.
will_K8 wrote:Anyway, the Wizards rock and they will make it to the Eastern Finals, 2003!

If all the rest of the teams in the East are vaporized by a raygun from a passing alien warship.
will_K8 wrote:Kwame for Most Improved (If he plays better)

HA! He's actually playing worse this season than last year!
will_K8 wrote:MJ for sixth man (If he settles on the bench)

I doubt the ego will let him.
will_K8 wrote:Stack for MVP, if he improves his rebounding and playmaking skills and scores consistently... yeah he's a candidate!

He didn't win it last year (when he was the only scorer on the team, changed his game to fit the new team style (when everyone said he couldn't) and his team won 50 games after just 32 the year before) so he has no shot at it this year.
will_K8 wrote:but let's hope they keep on winning. MJ had a great defensive game! (9 rebs, 8 ast)

9 rebounds and 8 assists says nothing about how you played defense.
will_K8 wrote:correct me on anything!

I did.
Clinton wrote:Don't think so. He isn't really the best choice as playmaker of the year for the Wiz. It should be Hughes considering he is point guard, but I think once Dixon gets a lot more minutes he will steal the starting job.

Stack is the best playmaker on the Wizards. Hughes can't do it and Dixon won't do it.
:digerati:
 

Postby GloveGuy on Tue Dec 17, 2002 9:05 am

Hughes' size disadvantage hurts them.

Hughes is undersized

Actuallly Hughes is like 6' 5". If he bulks up more to like 200 lbs. than he could compete at shooting guard.
If all the rest of the teams in the East are vaporized by a raygun from a passing alien warship.

The Wiz are just in a slump. Don't think that they're gonna play this way they all season. They have lots of talent(no matter what you say). They just need to get it together. And we all know that Michael Jordan always takes it up a notch during the playoffs.
HA! He's actually playing worse this season than last year!

It's only his consistency. It's obvious he went to work this summer, attending the big man camp and getting bigger. His play at the beginning of the season showed that. If only he could do that night in and night out.
9 rebounds and 8 assists says nothing about how you played defense.

If Ben Wallace weren't so great at rebounding, there would be a good chance that he wouldn't have won the Defensive Player of the Year. Even if he's such a good shot blocker. Michael still has that mental edge over players defensively. If you saw the replay of his steal off of Voshon Leonard, you'd know what I'm talking about.
Stack is the best playmaker on the Wizards. Hughes can't do it and Dixon won't do it.

Actually I'd say that Michael is the best. His passing is overlooked a lot. Hughes can do it. By watching him play, you can tell that he's a different player than he was last year. He's adjusted his game to fit the needs of the team and what it takes to be the point guard. No one said that Dixon could but he can score well as he has shown.
User avatar
GloveGuy
 
Posts: 1588
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2002 12:55 am
Location: Boston, MA

Postby :digerati: on Tue Dec 17, 2002 9:46 am

gloveguy wrote:Actuallly Hughes is like 6' 5". If he bulks up more to like 200 lbs. than he could compete at shooting guard.

I know Hughes is 6-5, but he's 184, he's not going to add 16lbs like that either or else he would've done it by now and he's lost weight since he was listed at 192 back in GS.
gloveguy wrote:They have lots of talent

Then where is it? Where are they hiding it? Cause I don't see it on this team.
gloveguy wrote:And we all know that Michael Jordan always takes it up a notch during the playoffs.

Debatable. The Wizards have to make the playoffs in the first place. A tough enough challenge.
gloveguy wrote:It's only his consistency. It's obvious he went to work this summer, attending the big man camp and getting bigger. His play at the beginning of the season showed that. If only he could do that night in and night out.

But he can't because he's lousy. Yeah, those two games really have shown he's improved. Despite his stats saying he's playing worse than last season, a rookie season when he didn't know how to shop for groceries.
gloveguy wrote:If Ben Wallace weren't so great at rebounding, there would be a good chance that he wouldn't have won the Defensive Player of the Year. Even if he's such a good shot blocker.

Shot blocker, stealer and defensive presense. The entire rebounding thing is a massive fallacy. You don't have to be a good defender to get rebounds.
gloveguy wrote:Michael still has that mental edge over players defensively. If you saw the replay of his steal off of Voshon Leonard, you'd know what I'm talking about.

Yeah, because nothing says proof like 2 seconds of a game against a poor team that's running a predictable play (though Iverson did it best off Brent Barry) off the inbounds from the teams best shooter and a pretty poor passer.
gloveguy wrote:Actually I'd say that Michael is the best. His passing is overlooked a lot.

Who's leading the team in assists? Who's led the Pistons in assists despite being the only offensive threat and one year scoring 30ppg yet still leading SG's in assists?
gloveguy wrote:Hughes can do it. By watching him play, you can tell that he's a different player than he was last year.

Yeah, he's worse.
gloveguy wrote:He's adjusted his game to fit the needs of the team and what it takes to be the point guard.

Could've fooled me. Doesn't look like he's playing like a PG. Looks like he's playing like a guy taller than players he's playing and isn't shooting because he's afraid of ball-hogging consequences.
gloveguy wrote:No one said that Dixon could but he can score well as he has shown.

Which will do a lot of good on a team that needs a point guard who can feed his scoring teammates and defend.
:digerati:
 

Postby GloveGuy on Tue Dec 17, 2002 10:22 am

Then where is it? Where are they hiding it? Cause I don't see it on this team.

It's there. Maybe you should look harder.
The Wizards have to make the playoffs in the first place. A tough enough challenge.

But if they do...Which they can
Yeah, those two games really have shown he's improved.

It sure as hell shows the type of player he could be...as long as he starts doing it day in and day out.
Yeah, because nothing says proof like 2 seconds of a game against a poor team.

Did you even see the play? I'm not even talking about a regular steal. It was the type of steal that you need the mental advantage to make. And if you've been watching the Wizards this season, you'd see that Michael can still domintate on D.
Who's leading the team in assists?

Do assists all mattter. Gary Payton averages more assists then J-kidd but everyone still says Kidd better than GP. MJ's passing skills are still sharp as ever. Assists aren't everythin.
Yeah, he's worse.

You can THINK what you want...if you think that he's worse because his stats are down than its obvious...he's had to change his style...he's adjusting to his new style
Doesn't look like he's playing like a PG. Looks like he's playing like a guy taller than players he's playing and isn't shooting because he's afraid of ball-hogging consequences.

He's bringing the ball up the court most of the time and he's running the plays. The Wiz don't need a Jason Kidd type of player.

How many Wizards games have you actually seen this season?
User avatar
GloveGuy
 
Posts: 1588
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2002 12:55 am
Location: Boston, MA

Postby :digerati: on Tue Dec 17, 2002 10:38 am

Where's the talent? Where is it? Point it out please. The team has a horrid front court and a lousy backcourt sans Stackhouse/Jordan (who if you believe "unstoppable" will both be gone next season) and a lousy management to boot. Of course the Wizards can make the playoffs, every team can, but they'd need talent to realistically challenge for a spot. Two games shows what a player can be, yes, but Willie Burton had 6 good games back in 94-95 including 53pt, and 33pts in 32 minutes. You don't hear about Willie Burton much do you? Yeah, you really need a mental advantage to steal the ball off a play you convinced the poor-passing player to foolishly do. Still, two seconds does not make proof. I don't see Michael playing good D like he used to, and back then he didn't even dominate. Assists greatly matter, they show you can get the ball to teammates when they are in scoring position, Payton is playing much better than Kidd this year, who cares what "everyone" says? "Everyone" says Ming is better than Duncan! "Everyone" says Ron Artest is playing better this year, "Everyone" says Michael Jordan is the greatest of all time. Large groups of people buy into hype more so than smaller ones so ignore what "everyone" says and look at the facts. What style has Hughes changed to? From shot-putting undersized shooting guard who can't play the point to shot-putting undersized shooting guard who shoots less but still can't play the point? So what if Hughes is bringing the ball up? Anthony Mason does that all the time. (except he's closer to a PG than Hughes probably ever will be) Hughes is not running plays, the team is and he's calling the plays Collins tells him to (since that's how Collins coaches) and while he's not Jason Kidd, he's not even Milt Palacio. The Wizards don't need a Jason Kidd type player (aside from the fact the team couldn't handle the pushing style Kidd runs), but someone like Kidd (distributor, big guard, great court vision, good defender) would make them a playoff team. Someone with those same credentials with half the talent of Kidd would make this a playoff team. Also, I never said the Wizards need a player like Kidd I said they need a point guard who can feed his scoring teammates and defend. Something they are currently lacking.
:digerati:
 

Postby scubilete on Tue Dec 17, 2002 10:58 am

I have to admit that I don't know well Juan Dixon Style, I saw him playing during the Final Four and it seemed to me that he was more a Shooting guard than a Point Guard because he was the only one shooting the ball, lol, however, he's assigned as a point guard, something that would be good if he gets the chance to fill out that position. I do believe the Wiz have young talent or good role players, it's just that they can't develop their game when you want to let ancient guys play. You see Richard Hamilton, he's playing much better in Detroit cause there he feels free to play, don't have to stop to wait for that old guy so he can call the play, I believe Stackhouse is the leader of that team cause MJ is leaving soon "Finally", he might be the best but he's not letting others develop their game. You might be right asking where's the talent, I do think the talent is there is just that we can't see them if there's someone trying to hide them, MJ should retire for us to see what those guys (Kwame, Haywood, Simmons, Jeffries & Dixon) can do.
User avatar
scubilete
 
Posts: 922
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2002 9:23 am
Location: Waterland, North Pole

Postby unstoppable on Tue Dec 17, 2002 2:12 pm

Wizards currently 8th in the East at 10-13.
unstoppable
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2002 8:16 pm

Postby Fresh8 on Wed Dec 18, 2002 10:57 am

Hey, scubilete

You should be a scout or somethin cause as a matter of fact Juan Dixon [/b]IS a natural SG. The reason he plays at the point now, is that he's undersized and isn't strong enough to play against other league SG's. Also the lack of talent at the 1 affected the decision to stick him at Pointguard.
User avatar
Fresh8
The poster formerly known as Sit
 
Posts: 14872
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2002 5:19 pm

Postby champ on Wed Dec 18, 2002 2:04 pm

Wizards 109 d Atlanta 99

Washington Wizards: 11-13 (8th in East)
champ
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 1:58 pm

Postby scubilete on Thu Dec 19, 2002 10:43 am

a natural SG. The reason he plays at the point now, is that he's undersized and isn't strong enough to play against other league SG's. Also the lack of talent at the 1 affected the decision to stick him at Pointguard.


That's all I said, he was a SG and now he's assigned as a point guard, but if you still remember when Iverson came to the league was the same situation, Even Iverson was naturally a PG, Now there's no way you can ask Iverson to be a point guard cause he just loves to shoot the ball. Also Iverson is not that big and he's still shooting the ball, all I think is that Dixon would be good as a PG cause that's the position vacant right now, and there he will get more minutes to play also as soon as he comes back of course.
User avatar
scubilete
 
Posts: 922
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2002 9:23 am
Location: Waterland, North Pole

Postby champ on Thu Dec 19, 2002 12:25 pm

Washington Wizards 118 d Memphis Grizzlies 100

Washington Wizards: 12-13
champ
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 1:58 pm


Return to NBA & Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests