The Knicks Thread....

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: The Knicks Thread....

Postby Jackal on Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:12 pm

That's logical though, isn't it? The Knicks didn't have a lot to work with so how would you have more wins? The Noah contract is bad but he's no Jerome James or Eddy Curry.

Am I saying Jackson is good? No. Am I saying it's nuts to say he's as bad as Thomas? Fuck yeah. That dude was terrible. At least Jackson isn't out groping female employees and just sticks to groping the Lakers owner.
Jackal

Postby mp3 on Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:44 am

He's not as bad as Isiah but the knicks are just as bad as an Isiah lead team is what Iam saying
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:08 am

Giving Melo the no-trade clause is arguably on par with some of Isiah's worst moves (or close to it), at least in terms of handcuffing the team's rebuilding and retooling plans. Melo is way better than any player that Isiah ever signed, of course, but there's obviously a huge rift that hasn't been helped by Jackson's passive-aggressive criticisms through the media, and they can't even just dump him for whatever they can get, because he can veto any deal. It wasn't a smart move to give Melo such a powerful bargaining chip, and the whole situation has just added to the dysfunction.

Like I've said before, it's ironic that Jackson has been running the team this way, taking shots at players and meddling in the coaching. After all he went through with the late Jerry Krause in Chicago, you'd think he wouldn't do it, knowing how what it feels like to be on the other end of things. I'm thinking Red Auerbach had a point, all those years ago.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Jackal on Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:08 am

At the time it didn't seem like that much of a crazy move. Can you imagine how NY would have reacted if Jackson let Carmelo go after his first season there for nothing? The no-trade clause was a major fuck up, no doubt, but for a first time GM trying to keep a star player, I get it.

The passive aggressive thing can be seen as trying to get him to waive it now that it's shown it won't be working out.

The triangle is their way of tanking and they are shackled by the double digit million contracts of only Anthony, Noah and Lee for next year.

I don't even know what the salary floor is.

But I could be wrong, lord knows I've been wrong before. For New York's sake, I hope it works out. It's sucky seeing teams like NY, Chicago, LA suck this much ass.
Jackal

Postby air gordon on Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:39 am

The craziness was trading for him when he could have just went there in the offseason

Coming full circle for Phil Jackson
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Jeffx on Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:00 am

air gordon wrote:The craziness was trading for him when he could have just went there in the offseason

Coming full circle for Phil Jackson

That was on Dolan. I thought Donnie Walsh had the team on the right track. He had a long-term plan that Dolan blew up....Knicks have been paying the price ever since. They had one good year in 2012-13, but it turned out to be fool's gold.
Jeffx

Postby mp3 on Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:52 am

It was Dolan that traded half the team for him when they could of just waited and let him sign there in the summer but melo wanted more money and wanted from the knicks over the Nets so he made it public that he wanted the knicks or Nets and then as predicted Dolan got scared about panic traded
mp3

Postby air gordon on Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:20 am

so moving on from that... what's next and how to fix the knicks? top 5 pick and some cap space. i believe there's a 15% kicker if Anthony gets traded? assuming he approves the trade
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:24 am

It's obviously going to be tough to do because of his contract and no-trade clause, but at this point I believe they have to move on from Melo. The relationship is beyond strained, it's difficult to see things working out from here. Rose's contract comes off the books, so there's some cap relief. Not sure what they can do about Noah for at least a couple of years.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:26 pm

I think to fix the knicks you have have to offload melo and rebuild, you won't get equal value but we need to except that and move on, first thing we need to address is the defence.
mp3

Postby Jeffx on Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:24 pm

Watching the Knicks/Heat game the other night really made my blood boil. With all the crap Miami went through this season, look at where they are compared to NY. It shows you the difference between Riley & Jackson and how they run their respective organizations. It's another big indictment on Phil, because I don't think he's as committed to the job like Riley is. Phil's more concerned with undermining Hornacek and holding those stupid triangle sessions during practices. He doesn't have the balls to coach the team himself....all about preserving his 'legacy'.

Well, f*** him, his triangle and his 'legacy'. You can talk KP and not trading draft picks all you want....the bottom line is, so far, Phil has been a FAILURE as president. And I feel sorry for whoever the Knicks draft, because he'll have to learn that f-ing triangle.
Jeffx

Postby air gordon on Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:52 pm

lets not make this a GM thing.

the miami situation shows how great Spo can coach.
Jump.
air gordon

Postby mp3 on Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:08 am

Speaking of coaching I don't think Jeff is a bad coach I just think he's yet another coach shackled to coaching Phil way
mp3

Postby I Hate Mondays on Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:41 am

I might not bring anything fresh with my statement but fire P Jackson! For the sake of the franchise
I Hate Mondays

Postby Jackal on Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:30 am

Ya'll motherfuckers going to regret whoever comes next. So quickly you guys forget what was there before Jackson.

With Dolan at the helm what are the chances of not getting a yes-man from here on out? Jackson is the only one so far who told Dolan to shut it and didn't get shitcanned.

And to be honest I'm hoping he doesn't get canned so that he doesn't end up rekindling his romance with Jeannie and trying to make a power move for a front office position with LA.
Jackal

Postby mp3 on Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:03 am

And there it is...

Rose ends his career in NY with a torn meniscus...
mp3

Postby Jackal on Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:07 am

This might just be the end of his career. How do you even come back from yet another knee injury of this scale.
Jackal

Postby mp3 on Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:47 am

I think he will be back but he can now say goodbye to anything close to that max deal again
mp3

Postby Andrew on Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:47 am

Damn shame about Rose.

Jackal wrote:Ya'll motherfuckers going to regret whoever comes next. So quickly you guys forget what was there before Jackson.

With Dolan at the helm what are the chances of not getting a yes-man from here on out? Jackson is the only one so far who told Dolan to shut it and didn't get shitcanned.

And to be honest I'm hoping he doesn't get canned so that he doesn't end up rekindling his romance with Jeannie and trying to make a power move for a front office position with LA.

Ah, but if he's that great in the position, wouldn't you want him in LA?

Also, I'd say Donnie Walsh did a pretty good job in his tenure with the Knicks.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Jackal on Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:22 am

I'm not saying he's done a wonderful job. I've said he's made mistakes, but I'm also saying he's getting a lot of shit from Knicks fans making him out to be worse than Thomas.

Walsh was run off by Dolan as well, Jackson is still keeping him at bay. Honestly how is having a high draft pick, bunch of second rounders and all your future first round picks a bad thing? The only shitty contract he's really tied to is Noah's. Hernandofernandogomez isn't that bad either from what I can tell.

So Jackson is fired and then what? What do the Knicks fans expect? Someone to come in and change the culture by making them hard nose defensive stalwarts like the 90's? Which team really has that identrity right now? How do you cultivate that with a "star" like Carmelo?

I'm not saying Jackson is error free, nor do I want him in the Lakers front office given LA's dealing with their own drama...but I still believe the dude is doing the best he can with the shit he inherited. Also think whoever comes after won't do that much better.

The Knicks are in a much better place than they have been future-wise for a while.

Wasn't Kerr his preferred coach when starting out? He gave Fisher a shot and it didn't work out. The dude is a first time GM, he's bound to make mistakes. Shit, Kupchak who was known to be solid signed Deng and Mozgov to those deals. Shit happens.
Jackal

Postby Andrew on Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:58 am

Fair enough. I still think he has to handle his business better and more professionally, by refraining from taking passive-aggressive potshots through his media buddies, and back off from meddling in the coaching of the team. If he wants to call the shots in that regard, maybe he should return to the sidelines.

I think at this point, Knicks fans are simply beyond frustrated. Maybe that leads to some hyperbole, but some of the things Jackson does (or doesn't do) and says don't help matters.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby air gordon on Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:35 pm

Jackson is not IT but mediocrity is still mediocrity. Jackson is one of the highest paid GM's, no?

why wouldn't knicks fans be happy to see him and the triangle offense get the boot?

I'd like to see Horny get a fair shake also
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Stress Fracture on Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:55 pm

If Jax wants to run the triangle, why not get the players suited for that?

Oh a better question, are there still players that can play the triangle?
benji wrote:LeBron is such a choker. And people were talking about him as an all-time great. As having possibly surpassed Kobe. What a joke.

velvet bliss wrote:Andrew, you the real MVP.

Andrew wrote:He who flops and flails to the Finals and a title, flops and flails best.
Stress Fracture

Postby Jackal on Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:54 pm

So it's not possible he's pushing this whole triangle thing as a way to just tank the rest of this season?

Besides isn't the triangle basically a read-react type of offense? The Spurs/Warriors use lots of similar sets, right?

He is one of the highest paid GM's, but is he to be blamed for that? Dolan made a ridiculous offer and Jackson isn't that stoned to say no to such a nice deal. He's still a first time GM and despite being paid a large sum of money doesn't mean he'll magically be Jerry West.

All I'm saying is they are mediocre now, but they have something to build on. He's in a tough situation walking the line between trying to contend because of Melo and trying to rebuild with KP.

Would Knicks fans say they are in a better spot than the Bulls? They also signed players to try and compete much like Jackson did with Noah/Rose, but Rose is off the books and they have a high draft pick this off-season.

Hopefully Lala wants to go to LA and Melo can play for the Clippers and you've got cap space, a high draft pick and a rising star in KP. That's not that bad of an outlook.

Also, why can't players play the triangle? What is the triangle besides a capable passer from the post, a capable slasher and shooters? Noah is/was a capable passer from the post. Rose/Melo are capable slashers (or were) and I think they have some shooters? Rose is a big PG much in the form of Ron Harper body-wise.
Jackal

Postby Andrew on Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:36 pm

No one can fairly fault him for taking the money, but it does add to the expectations, which are already high because of his prior accomplishments in the NBA. He's a first time GM, but he's been a highly successful coach with more rings than any of his peers, who has built a reputation for being a keen basketball mind and great at managing players and egos. It may not be entirely fair, but when you're a big name in the sport who has previously scoffed at criticism from Red Auerbach - someone who certainly got the job done on the sidelines and in the front office - it comes with the territory.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball