Thunder to retire Nick Collison's jersey

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Thunder to retire Nick Collison's jersey

Postby Andrew on Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:57 pm

Thunder set to retire Nick Collison's No. 4

The Oklahoma City Thunder announced today that the team will retire Nick Collison’s No. 4 on Wednesday, March 20 when the Thunder hosts the Toronto Raptors at Chesapeake Energy Arena.

Collison announced his retirement this past May after spending all 15 years of his career with the Thunder franchise. His No. 4 will be the first number retired by the Thunder.

Needless to say, there's been some sneering on social media. Collison obviously wasn't an All-Star with Hall of Fame numbers, but we're not talking about him going into the Hall of Fame. We're talking about the team he played for his entire career honouring him by retiring his jersey.

Personally, I like it, and think it's just fine. They are essentially a new franchise (albeit sharing the history of the Seattle SuperSonics), he was there from the beginning (and indeed, was there in the final Seattle years as well), and he was a solid role player who had some decent years and provided leadership. Teams retire a player's jersey because they meant something to them, not because they were a superstar in the league (though admittedly, the two often do go hand in hand). Clearly, Collison meant a lot to the franchise and they want to thank him for fourteen years of loyal service. I've seen naysayers suggest that it's because no one else would sign him, but he's the kind of player who would've been able to latch on elsewhere if he wanted to at some point in his career. Even if no one else did want him, the Thunder did, and he stuck around giving it his all for all those seasons.

I say congratulations to him. Lasting fourteen years in the league is no easy feat, and puts him ahead of a lot of hopeful people who step onto the hardwood. Again, it's the team he played for honouring him, not the league or the Hall of Fame. They feel he deserves to be honoured, and that's what matters at the end of the day. You've got to start somewhere in terms of honouring former players, and the guy who was with you for over a decade and through a relocation and rebranding, playing a solid role through a reasonably successful era, is as good a place as any.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Re: Thunder to retire Nick Collison's jersey

Postby sticky-fingers on Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:28 pm

it's the first time the Thunder retire a jersey, but they wanted to keep the Sonics franchise history
Nick has no real individual or collective accomplishment.
So what about 80-07 players ? Payton, Kemp and even Allen that have given much more ?!

IMO it would be more understandable for Udonis Haslem ; entire career at Miami too but 3 rings, franchise record (rebounds) and real presence in a playoffs serie.
sticky-fingers

Postby mp3 on Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:24 am

I know a lot of people are questioning why they are retiring his number but come on, he played his entire career with the franchise and although they never won a ring they got to the NBA finals with him as a rotation player and a fan favourite too, may also add that he had a great relationship with teammates in the locker room, front office and owner so he deserves it.

The Heat will retire Udonis Haslem's jersey and rightfully so but no one will question it because they rings with him.
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby Andrew on Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:59 am

mp3 wrote:I know a lot of people are questioning why they are retiring his number but come on, he played his entire career with the franchise and although they never won a ring they got to the NBA finals with him as a rotation player and a fan favourite too, may also add that he had a great relationship with teammates in the locker room, front office and owner so he deserves it.

Exactly.

As for why they aren't retiring any jerseys for modern Sonics players, I think most of them have indicated that they wouldn't be interested in that (Gary Payton most vocally). Difficult to have a ceremony if the player refuses to participate.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:04 am

I respect Paytons stance on his own number, and what he wants for it.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/nba ... nics-game/
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:38 am

I don't see an issue with it as the most likely to have numbers retired for them (KD, Russ) are still playing
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:08 pm

Dee4Three wrote:I respect Paytons stance on his own number, and what he wants for it.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/nba ... nics-game/

Absolutely. It's a fair call for him to make, and with that in mind, it rules out him and any other Sonics whose jerseys might otherwise be retired.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby sticky-fingers on Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:29 am

Well, i can understand but It's a shame his jersey isn't retired.

About N.Collison, do you think that it will be retired with both "franchises" half thunder, half Sonics, like Miami did for MJ ?
sticky-fingers

Postby [Q] on Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:38 am

They won't retire Collison in Seattle. There's plenty of great players to retire before him. He was a blip in a long rich basketball history for that franchise
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:08 am

I'm sure his tenure in Seattle will be mentioned during the ceremony, but I'd say the banner they raise will just be his OKC jersey.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Return to NBA & Basketball